Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Looks like it going to be a couple of months of home schooling (it most certainly won't be "on-line" learning). Similar to March - June last year where the weekly email would arrive on a Monday morning and that would be that till the following week. Not looking forward to trying to balance a 2 year old, 6 year old and WFH again but what can you do.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

alentejo wrote: »
    Schools should reopen on the 11th of Jan.

If not, they should open asap and or face an additional month during the summer. We cant deprive children of an education. Full stop!
    Of course not -even if everyone else is deprived of any human contact. Maybe 80% of the country stay in the house till March so as kids go to school. Im not sure if that is fair, And why equate education with going into a class with 30 from 30 houses like people did 100 years ago - rather than logging in from home, like they do all evening to talk to friends, order stuff etc

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Friends and I at a loss on what will happen. I know last years 6th years had a real tough time but imagine current 6th years with constant fears of lockdowns, cancellations of stuff needed for LC and grinds cancelled/moved online to try continue teaching

It’s a nightmare and my grades have suffered as a result. I find it way harder to focus at home then at school (I’m sure most students do) but I really rely on after school study as a quiet place to focus and try do well.

My Christmas physical grinds were cancelled from Wednesday and moved online which I started today. Im thankful that they had the resources to do that, however it made me realise how horrible working from homeschool is, I got a surge of all the unneeded zoom memories of just sitting in a class call, mic muted eating cereal and paying half attention to my clearly bored and rightly upset teacher try to teach from a crappy laptop and webcam while trying to write stuff down on my desk at a weird angle because of my computers setup. I’m thankful I had a lot more resources than other kids might have but my point is that online school just doesn’t help retain the same info I’ll ever get in a class, even if class is more “boring” I’d prefer it over what could come.

But I also need to think of my health, the new strain isn’t helping things especially for me and I’ve had to cut contact with seeing my friends outside for the rest of winter break after I saw today’s cases and backlog. I don’t know when I’ll return to school but I hope it isn’t In 5 months time and I’ve had to sit my mocks at my desk I’m my room because that’ll be an absolute nightmare. :(

My geography field study has already been cancelled so I’m not sure what my schools gonna do there, thankfully it’s the only practical work I need to do (don’t do DCG or tech or anything) but it’s still frustrating to see this go down again. It’s pain. It’s actual pain and it’s making me worry a little even though I can’t control it. An extended Christmas break feels great until you realise the seriousness behind it.

I hope everyone’s doing well for themselves recently and hopefully January isn’t as bad of a month mental health wise as it’s looking to be for me <3

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

TTLF wrote: »
    Friends and I at a loss on what will happen. I know last years 6th years had a real tough time but imagine current 6th years with constant fears of lockdowns, cancellations of stuff needed for LC and grinds cancelled/moved online to try continue teaching

It’s a nightmare and my grades have suffered as a result. I find it way harder to focus at home then at school (I’m sure most students do) but I really rely on after school study as a quiet place to focus and try do well.

My Christmas physical grinds were cancelled from Wednesday and moved online which I started today. Im thankful that they had the resources to do that, however it made me realise how horrible working from homeschool is, I got a surge of all the unneeded zoom memories of just sitting in a class call, mic muted eating cereal and paying half attention to my clearly bored and rightly upset teacher try to teach from a crappy laptop and webcam while trying to write stuff down on my desk at a weird angle because of my computers setup. I’m thankful I had a lot more resources than other kids might have but my point is that online school just doesn’t help retain the same info I’ll ever get in a class, even if class is more “boring” I’d prefer it over what could come.

But I also need to think of my health, the new strain isn’t helping things especially for me and I’ve had to cut contact with seeing my friends outside for the rest of winter break after I saw today’s cases and backlog. I don’t know when I’ll return to school but I hope it isn’t In 5 months time and I’ve had to sit my mocks at my desk I’m my room because that’ll be an absolute nightmare. :(

My geography field study has already been cancelled so I’m not sure what my schools gonna do there, thankfully it’s the only practical work I need to do (don’t do DCG or tech or anything) but it’s still frustrating to see this go down again. It’s pain. It’s actual pain and it’s making me worry a little even though I can’t control it. An extended Christmas break feels great until you realise the seriousness behind it.

I hope everyone’s doing well for themselves recently and hopefully January isn’t as bad of a month mental health wise as it’s looking to be for me <3

Not a easy time for you guys- Things will get better in time, the darkest time is always before the dawn.
    Good luck with the studies.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

khaldrogo wrote: »
    That's well for you. If I was in a position to just decide not to put my kids in creche for a week I wouldn't have them in creche in the first place!!!

Mine and my partners parents are in the midst of cancer treatments at the moment. We are both essential workers who cant work from home. Who do we get to mind our kids if the schools and creches are closed??

My dad is also going through cancer treatment too.. while your situation is unfortunate and obviously would be incredibly stressful.. I still don't think it should be up to the creches to have to remain open to take care of other people's kids. We're in a pandemic. We need to stop mixing or keep mixing to a minimum! Keeping creches open creates an opportunity for so many different kids from all over can mix and carry the virus home to their families.. Schools too! I know there's not a whole lot you can do in your situation but it's just unfortunate that you have to even be in this position. Imo everything should be shut down.. Ports..schools.. Gyms.
    Shops.. Keep the grocery stores open with tight restrictions, garages for fuel etc.. But just the bare minimum. Have everyone stay home, protect their families and have a chance to look after their own kids during such a crazy difficult time for many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My dad is also going through cancer treatment too.. while your situation is unfortunate and obviously would be incredibly stressful.. I still don't think it should be up to the creches to have to remain open to take care of other people's kids. We're in a pandemic. We need to stop mixing or keep mixing to a minimum! Keeping creches open creates an opportunity for so many different kids from all over can mix and carry the virus home to their families.. Schools too! I know there's not a whole lot you can do in your situation but it's just unfortunate that you have to even be in this position. Imo everything should be shut down.. Ports..schools.. Gyms.
    Shops.. Keep the grocery stores open with tight restrictions, garages for fuel etc.. But just the bare minimum. Have everyone stay home, protect their families and have a chance to look after their own kids during such a crazy difficult time for many.

What you suggest while a great idea and probably what would happen in my ideal world won't be occurring here. When you have the likes of HomeStore and More and Harry Corry still open under the essential shops mandate, people will just go to them for something to do.l and a browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

You do realize that there is a lot more than supermarket workers and garages that are needed to keep the Country going. People can work from home but this idea that somehow working from home means your also free and available to look after your kids is silly.
    All the behind the scenes hospital staff, security, police, dentist, all supermarket staff from cashier
    To stockroom, Couriers, food processing, pharmaceuticals, lab techs. The list of people who are actually required on site for work just to tick over at the bare minimum is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

What you suggest while a great idea and probably what would happen in my ideal world won't be occurring here. When you have the likes of HomeStore and More and Harry Corry still open under the essential shops mandate, people will just go to them for something to do.l and a browse.

Yeah it's unfortunate but it would only happen in an ideal world!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

Am I naive in thinking schools will be back 18th Jan perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

<...>
    Where do you live? I'll drop off my kids into you to mind while I'm doing my shift in local supermarket? No kidding. Oh, and don't forget you can't just place them in front of TV - all school work has to be done first and foremost, it doesn't matter that you don't have required education to be a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Schools will be back on the 11th , You have to trust our government when they say this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

Schools will be back on the 11th , You have to trust our government when they say this. :D

nphet talking about 6000 cases a day very hard to see schools open in such a scenario .. bordering on reckless to open until situation stabilises

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Just to say, if you are this mature, articulate and empathetic at 17/18 years, your future is bright no matter what happens in the LC. I'd be cautious about cutting outdoor contact with your friends completely. We don't know what's ahead really and if you are outdoors, keeping your distance, (maybe masked for peace of mind?) you should be ok. You know your own circumstances best, but a laugh with your friends is sometimes the only thing that gets you through. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The 11th must be a doubt now considering the touted numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Not a hope of schools being open until after the mid term.

The daily covid number could be close to 6,000 by next weekend according to Philip Nolan. They can't open at those levels given they extended the holidays at 1,500

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Inevitable I think. Our daughter's (primary) school sent home books before Christmas in case of such an eventuality.

I'd hoped they wouldn't be needed, but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

deckie66 wrote: »
    Not a hope of schools being open until after the mid term.

The daily covid number could be close to 6,000 by next weekend according to Philip Nolan. They can't open at those levels given they extended the holidays at 1,500

Mid term? You spelled Halloween wrong surely

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

It makes the DES pig headedness over 21/22nd December seem daft

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

I am not sure will the government play this game until next weekend. Better to announce plan on Monday and allow time to prepare. I think February 1 is a realistic date. Even Germany is extending school holidays.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It makes the DES pig headedness over 21/22nd December seem daft

It's the absolute definition of a gamble. The policy of school attendance has been a gamble from day 1, when they decided not to proceed with an alternate online learning option. You gamble and hope, and then when you lose, you put some more down to try and mitigate your loss. The couple of days prior to Christmas would have sent a signal, would have shown the school policy for what it was, therefore we continue with the schools are safe line. Your potential loss of 2 days pales into insignificance now as we face weeks (months?) of school closures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Just to say, if you are this mature, articulate and empathetic at 17/18 years, your future is bright no matter what happens in the LC. I'd be cautious about cutting outdoor contact with your friends completely. We don't know what's ahead really and if you are outdoors, keeping your distance, (maybe masked for peace of mind?) you should be ok. You know your own circumstances best, but a laugh with your friends is sometimes the only thing that gets you through. Mind yourself.

Thank you for that, it brought a lovely smile to my face. :) While I agree with wanting to see my friends, the unfortunate part behind this is they're not as compliant with the rules. (They like going around town taking photos all day) which I'm not so comfortable with. Also I have an underlying health condition so I have to be 3x more careful. I was lucky I could attend school back in September but of course, the situation back then wasn't at the very dangerous situations it's at now. Really unfortunate for me because I was planning to get private grinds to help me in a class I'm failing since it doesn't come easy to me but I doubt I'll be able to properly do that until after the mocks at this stage.

Here's to hoping I manage to maintain my grades during this awful pandemic. In my opinion, I think they need to altar the course even more and hopefully they will if things are looking as they are now and we don't go back. I'd be genuinely surprised if we were reporting +2000-2500 cases a day and told "yep, go back there" with that new strain.

Even the UK seems to be fighting for closing all schools although I'm not sure how well this article is.
    https://news.sky.com/story/teaching-unions-tell-pm-do-your-duty-and-close-all-schools-in-england-to-limit-covid-threat-12177145

It won't happen but even small clarity would be a small ease. We're going into the "real knuckle down stage" of the LC and now I'm already missing 3 extra days of education and the one and only field trip I was looking forward to.. (Geography is my favourite subject :p) so I guess I'll try motivate myself to keep studying in my room, but it's going to be a tough one.

Once again, thank you for your kind words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Thank you for that, it brought a lovely smile to my face. :) While I agree with wanting to see my friends, the unfortunate part behind this is they're not as compliant with the rules. (They like going around town taking photos all day) which I'm not so comfortable with. Also I have an underlying health condition so I have to be 3x more careful. I was lucky I could attend school back in September but of course, the situation back then wasn't at the very dangerous situations it's at now. Really unfortunate for me because I was planning to get private grinds to help me in a class I'm failing since it doesn't come easy to me but I doubt I'll be able to properly do that until after the mocks at this stage.

Here's to hoping I manage to maintain my grades during this awful pandemic. In my opinion, I think they need to altar the course even more and hopefully they will if things are looking as they are now and we don't go back. I'd be genuinely surprised if we were reporting +2000-2500 cases a day and told "yep, go back there" with that new strain.

Even the UK seems to be fighting for closing all schools although I'm not sure how well this article is.
    https://news.sky.com/story/teaching-unions-tell-pm-do-your-duty-and-close-all-schools-in-england-to-limit-covid-threat-12177145

It won't happen but even small clarity would be a small ease. We're going into the "real knuckle down stage" of the LC and now I'm already missing 3 extra days of education and the one and only field trip I was looking forward to.. (Geography is my favourite subject :p) so I guess I'll try motivate myself to keep studying in my room, but it's going to be a tough one.

Once again, thank you for your kind words.

Just to note, regardless of how your LC goes there's always a way to get where you want to go nowadays. It's not life or death but best of luck with it and the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭French Toast

Are we marching towards a cancelled JC and predicted LC then?

🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Why not close the schools for a month as holidays ?
    Work the Month back in june , alter jc and lc exams for july. I wouldn't have an issue with this.
    Online learning just dosent work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

C__MC wrote: »
    Work the Month back in june , alter jc and lc exams for july. I wouldn't have an issue with this.

Well LC and JC have exams and projects and deadlines for starters and all that goes along with that. Mock and courses to be finished for those exams

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

Because workers need to work. That's the bottom line really. Kids at home all day means no work done.

I agree though, online learning doesn't work, it was OK in absence of alternate during a crisis. But it's only info exchange, not real learning..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Lock primary school kids in their houses in January and then lock them into their classrooms in June when it could be 25 degrees outside. Do more harm than good if you ask me. If there’s any semblance of normality coming down the tracks for the Summer let the children have their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Clouron wrote: »

I agree though, online learning doesn't work, it was OK in absence of alternate during a crisis. But it's only info exchange, not real learning..

My 6th and 3rd years had an exam in November based on topics covered online and in the first few months of this school year. They scored pretty much the same on content covered online as they did at the content covered face to face. We hadn't revised over it - they learned it purely through zoom classes and online notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Schools will be back in some physical capacity on the 11th, id put money on it, they've completely cut close contact testing now so in a weeks time far less will be tested and numbers will be down. They will bend every rule in the book to get them fully opened on the 11th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Schools will be back in some physical capacity on the 11th, id put money on it, they've completely cut close contact testing now so in a weeks time far less will be tested and numbers will be down. They will bend every rule in the book to get them fully opened on the 11th

Yep was saying that only yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement