Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

vid36 wrote: »
    I am not sure will the government play this game until next weekend. Better to announce plan on Monday and allow time to prepare. I think February 1 is a realistic date. Even Germany is extending school holidays.

Germany is not extending holidays. They pushed the mandatory return of children back 1 week, the children have the option to attend school or study from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

jester77 wrote: »
    Germany is not extending holidays. They pushed the mandatory return of children back 1 week, the children have the option to attend school or study from home.

Are Germany's hospitals circling the drain like ours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It makes the DES pig headedness over 21/22nd December seem daft
    It always seemed daft, now it seems a resigning matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Norma Foley gone into heading again I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Are Germany's hospitals circling the drain like ours?

Nope, they even take in patients from other countries. Then again, health insurance is mandatory here, everyone in the public system contribute 15% of their salary. I have private insurance, and one of the cheaper ones, and I pay well over €600 a month just for myself, my kids are extra on top and dental is not covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

C__MC wrote: »
    Norma Foley gone into heading again I suspect

She has gone to find her hide and seek trophy to put on her easel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

C__MC wrote: »
    Why not close the schools for a month as holidays ?
    Work the Month back in june , alter jc and lc exams for july. I wouldn't have an issue with this.
    Online learning just dosent work

online learning does work it just has to be planned properly and students do the work given as well

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

combat14 wrote: »
    online learning does work it just has to be planned properly and students do the work given as well

Teacher here . There’s a reason schools aren’t online all of the time . It works for about 80% of the school population, but isn’t successful for others due to issues like parental support , broadband issues and the age of the child . Given the rampant Covid figures right now , online is the only show in town , but it’s not a silver bullet either .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

khalessi wrote: »
    She has gone to find her hide and seek trophy to put on her easel

She will have to remove some of those drawings she asked the primary school kids of Ireland to send in to her a few weeks back when he was giving out no homework passes, yknow, to make room

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Clouron wrote: »
    Because workers need to work. That's the bottom line really. Kids at home all day means no work done.
    Schools need to be safe for staff and pupils

I wonder will they open on a county by county basis? Depending on the virus rate in the community?

• Advertisement

I wonder will they open on a county by county basis? Depending on the virus rate in the community?

not a hope, too much work, it will either be all in or all out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

That would take some effort on their behalf which I sense is severely lacking in our DES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

This has me wondering. I think in one sense its a good idea, why have schools closed or do remote if community levels are low. Keep them open while its safe to do so. On the other hand I think is it fair to have some schools be able to maintain a standard that others simply cant if they are closed.

I do think we have areas in Ireland where people are far more compliant and then would be concerned that we would see the same schools closed for longer periods than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

jrosen wrote: »
    This has me wondering. I think in one sense its a good idea, why have schools closed or do remote if community levels are low. Keep them open while its safe to do so. On the other hand I think is it fair to have some schools be able to maintain a standard that others simply cant if they are closed.

I do think we have areas in Ireland where people are far more compliant and then would be concerned that we would see the same schools closed for longer periods than others.
    It might force people to stick to the guidelines to get the kids in their households back to school!

What happens if teachers live in different county to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Wicklow has the lowest rate in the country. Many teachers in schools there live in Dublin and Wexford which have much higher rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

What happens if teachers live in different county to school?

If their county also had low numbers then I cant see why they could not travel for work. They would have no reason not too.

Edit to add, if they have high numbers in their home county then maybe testing for those teachers might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hospital admissions in children 5 years old & under in the UK is surging ...

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1345448767928066049

JTMan wrote: »

Damn it, i thought the talk of children and this new strain was bs, covid, the ****ing gift that keeps on giving :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Messi19

If schools are back on the 11th it'll be interesting to see what the attendances are like. I mean people not sending kids back, not absence from isolation

• Advertisement

Messi19 wrote: »
    If schools are back on the 11th it'll be interesting to see what the attendances are like. I mean people not sending kids back, not absence from isolation

A lot of parents on other sites saying they wont send kids back when numbers so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Messi19

A lot of parents on other sites saying they wont send kids back when numbers so high.

Couldn't criticise any that do tbf

Couldn't criticise any that do tbf

Neither could I or most teachers tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

JTMan wrote: »

faaawwk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Most are expecting that date to be extended, probably be online learning (aka not much learning) until 31st January then back to normal hopefully.

It'll likely be the same as when they went back intially in September and people were nervous to begin with.

Locotastic wrote: »
    Most are expecting that date to be extended, probably be online learning (aka not much learning) until 31st January then back to normal hopefully.

It'll likely be the same as when they went back intially in September and people were nervous to begin with.

Well if what Feigl-Ding above is reporting I am not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Think I'll be keeping my kids at home for a couple of weeks and see how numbers go

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Well if what Feigl-Ding above is reporting I am not surprised

I think his charts have been found to be incorrect just looking at the comments on the tweet. A lot of paediatric consultants have debunked this theory today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Teachers and kids and their families need to be protected now.

According to reports Covid is RAMPANT now, and sure FGS that will be solved by kids going back to school. OK. Tell me otherwise.

I do realise that key workers are doing a stellar job, but I do not want to patronise them either. LUAS and DB, HSE you get the drift. But the fewer interractions they have the better. This third wave sounds ominous.

• Advertisement

Locotastic wrote: »
    I think his charts have been found to be incorrect just looking at the comments on the tweet. A lot of paediatric consultants have debunked this theory today.

Hence I used the word IF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement