Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

According to The Sunday Times , the education stakeholders will meet on Wednesday. NPHET will send their recommendations to the Minister on Thursday regarding schools.

vid36 wrote: »
    According to The Sunday Times , the education stakeholders will meet on Wednesday. NPHET will send their recommendations to the Minister on Thursday regarding schools.

This will be interesting to hear. Do children and school staff get put at risk or will they do the right thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

To me that is very late to be deciding things and giving notice to parents, students and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭brookers

Locotastic wrote: »
    Most are expecting that date to be extended, probably be online learning (aka not much learning) until 31st January then back to normal hopefully.

It'll likely be the same as when they went back intially in September and people were nervous to begin with.

I think there is a big difference between first of september and now by about 10,000 cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

khalessi wrote: »
    This will be interesting to hear. Do children and school staff get put at risk or will they do the right thing?

I doubt schools are going to reopen at this stage the numbers are just far too high to risk it now. They're just going to have to bite the bullet on this and close them for a few weeks till things stabilise and get at least back below 1000 a day.
    They got away with it the last time because they managed to stop it spreading in time but this time were heading strait towards exceeding first wave territory and possibly passing it.

At the minimum Schools wont reopen before Feburary, possibly will stay closed till after mid terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Let's hope they ensure there are options available for frontline workers this time around. Even the UK managed that.

Unfortunately some of them may not be in a position to continue working at the moment if there's a long blanket shut down of creches/schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

That is far too late.

Daft question, but what will parents and staff do if they say schools are reopening despite the very high caseload, lack of testing and tracing decreased budget etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Daft question, but what will parents and staff do if they say schools are reopening despite the very high caseload, lack of testing and tracing decreased budget etc?

I did a straw poll of a few friends tonight, all working parents to be fair. They all said they'd send the kids in if schools were opened. I was pretty shocked.

The problem is that the vast majority of people are just trying to get on with working, coping with loss of jobs, financial worries, parenting, caring for elderly etc etc. They are not following developments in the same way as many on here because they don't have the time or inclination. So they've registered that the case numbers have escalated but don't, for example, understand the reasons the 9000 cases coming down the line can't be reported officially. People, even the restriction-abiding, have reached saturation point with covid information.

This is why I think the non-testing of close contacts is a disaster for schools. I understand that the system just doesn't have the capacity, but it inevitably means case numbers will drop. The drop won't necessarily be a reflection of less cases, just less testing. I can see Norma broadcasting a smarmy 'Well done parents and children' message from her empty office while shepherding us all back into the 'safe spaces'. It makes me want to scream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I’d need to know more about cases in our locality before I made a decision. If numbers were high I’d keep them home. How long for would depend on numbers. Also have to take into account what sort of supports would be coming from schools..

But if numbers in the community are ok, I’d probably send them.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

alroley wrote: »
    That is far too late.

Agreed why put off the inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

jrosen wrote: »
    I’d need to know more about cases in our locality before I made a decision. If numbers were high I’d keep them home. How long for would depend on numbers. Also have to take into account what sort of supports would be coming from schools..

But if numbers in the community are ok, I’d probably send them.

If the schools are told to remain open and you choose to keep your children at home, depending on various factors you could be looking at no supports from the school.

This is why I think the non-testing of close contacts is a disaster for schools. I understand that the system just doesn't have the capacity, but it inevitably means case numbers will drop. The drop won't necessarily be a reflection of less cases, just less testing. I can see Norma broadcasting a smarmy 'Well done parents and children' message from her empty office while shepherding us all back into the 'safe spaces'. It makes me want to scream.

It's nearly as if they are saying 'We only have loads of cases because we are doing loads of testing' but .... I mean .... only a mad person would suggest something so stupid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I did a straw poll of a few friends tonight, all working parents to be fair. They all said they'd send the kids in if schools were opened. I was pretty shocked.

The problem is that the vast majority of people are just trying to get on with working, coping with loss of jobs, financial worries, parenting, caring for elderly etc etc. They are not following developments in the same way as many on here because they don't have the time or inclination. So they've registered that the case numbers have escalated but don't, for example, understand the reasons the 9000 cases coming down the line can't be reported officially. People, even the restriction-abiding, have reached saturation point with covid information.

Exactly they will change the criteria for testing in order to reduce daily numbers enough to make the public think everything is alright, ive said it before but i fully see everything as normal on the 11th

Theres nothing much we can do. Parents' hands will be tied between their own work commitments and the fact that a lot schools won't engage with online provision for those who choose to stay at home.

As for the teachers? Well god help them if they even consider a strike over it

Exactly they will change the criteria for testing in order to reduce daily numbers enough to make the public think everything is alright, ive said it before but i fully see everything as normal on the 11th

If they do this, it will be one of the most shocking behaviours carried out by an Irish government imo. They will be putting the children and staff in harms way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If they do this, it will be one of the most shocking behaviours carried out by an Irish government imo. They will be putting the children and staff in harms way.

The only thing they care about at the end of the day is getting reelected

Locotastic wrote: »
    Let's hope they ensure there are options available for frontline workers this time around. Even the UK managed that.

Unfortunately some of them may not be in a position to continue working at the moment if there's a long blanket shut down of creches/schools.

This should happen but in true Irish fashion I could see every kid in the country suddenly becoming the child of essential workers - to suit employers moreso than parents btw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

alroley wrote: »
    That is far too late.

They must be learning from the Dept. Of Education.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

They really can't open schools with that level of numbers can they???

I will definitely not be sending mine back on the 11th if the figures stay that high. I'm in Louth we are the third worst county, I've lost my job in retail and there were cases in both the primary and secondary schools my kids attend. So it completely defeats the purpose of staying home,staying safe.
    An extra two weeks and hopefully the effects of the full level 5 lockdown will help surpress the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Lashes28 wrote: »
    They really can't open schools with that level of numbers can they???

I will definitely not be sending mine back on the 11th if the figures stay that high. I'm in Louth we are the third worst county, I've lost my job in retail and there were cases in both the primary and secondary schools my kids attend. So it completely defeats the purpose of staying home,staying safe.
    An extra two weeks and hopefully the effects of the full level 5 lockdown will help surpress the virus.

The kids won't be back for at least 4-6 weeks if you ask me. In fact, I'd hazard a guess at Patrick's day, give or take.

The numbers are just too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

The other thing is freezing weather at moment. We were lucky with weather up until Christmas but January's always freezing.

You cant ask students to sit in freezing cold schools with windows + doors all open all day long when it -5 outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

You are spot on here. Honestly, most ppl I know are in busy full time jobs and yes, are lucky to be employed. They will all send kids back to school. Teachers and students will wear hats and scarves.

Those less fortunate who are furlough or lost jobs will stay at home with children, of course, they can spend time homeschooling.

I think the representation on this site is not reflective of reality.

appledrop wrote: »
    The other thing is freezing weather at moment. We were lucky with weather up until Christmas but January's always freezing.

You cant ask students to sit in freezing cold schools with windows + doors all open all day long when it -5 outside.

If we are back i most certainly will. My immediate concern is first and foremost for myself and my family's wellbeing. If the room is freezing, wel, that isn't my fault, the windows and door will be remaining open. We can all wrap up warm and wear extra layers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

If we are back i most certainly will. My immediate concern is first and foremost for myself and my family's wellbeing. If the room is freezing, wel, that isn't my fault, the windows and door will be remaining open. We can all wrap up warm and wear extra layers.

And the health of your students right.... surely up their with your own health? A lot of teachers would actually prioritise that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    And the health of your students right.... surely up their with your own health? A lot of teachers would actually prioritise that first.

Seriously does it always have to turn into a little sneaky dig - No one knows what health conditions his / her family might have. My first responsibility is to my family therefore I’m prioritising my health and that of my family - if everyone took this attitude we wouldn’t be in the **** storm we are in now. Spare me the sanctimonious crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If Boris is keeping schools open will it make it more likely we will too?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1345671169278672900?s=19

WicklaBlaa wrote: »

I did say we can all wrap up warm.

Why do you think the windows and doors are open?

Nice little dig though. I'll give you 4 out of 10 but your report card will still say that more effort and imagination is required inorder to progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

I did say we can all wrap up warm.

Why do you think the windows and doors are open?

Nice little dig thought. I'll give you 4 out of 10 but your report card will still, say that more effort and imagination is required inorder to progress.

Not a dig, but just a glaring omission in your post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement