Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If Boris is keeping schools open will it make it more likely we will too?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1345671169278672900?s=19

100% only way the schools stay close is if INTO put their foot down like they did last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

100% only way the schools stay close is if INTO put their foot down like they did last week.

If you think the INTO put the foot down then you don't really know the INTO. I'd bet my last euro that had heard through the grapevine that the three extra days were coming and put out that letter so that it appears like they gained something meaningful for schools and their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

Hopefully the current situation will have given people enough of a fright to cop on now and genuinely cut out all but absolutely essential contacts. Not sure though whether a resulting downward trend will be seen before the 11th. Maybe opening on the 18th would allow things to settle a bit. Just my thinking on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

If Boris is keeping schools open will it make it more likely we will too?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1345671169278672900?s=19

And we will have the hypocrites who now look like Heath ledgers joker character such is the amount of time they spend speaking out of both sides of their mouths quoting the uk are sending kids back despite telling us previously what’s happening in other countries particularly the uk isn’t relevant to what should be done here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Seriously does it always have to turn into a little sneaky dig - No one knows what health conditions his / her family might have. My first responsibility is to my family therefore I’m prioritising my health and that of my family - if everyone took this attitude we wouldn’t be in the **** storm we are in now. Spare me the sanctimonious crap.

When teachers are in a classroom, students should be a priority. They are the responsible adult in the room. It's part of the job description.

So many amazing teachers out there. Posts like that are a disservice to them.

Health professionals have families too, when they are in work though, patients should be to the foremost of their mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

If schools are open on the 11th (although I would think not at this point in time) imo most parents will send them back with the exception of hotspots. Because the school is open, there will be no engagement/support from school to anyone choosing to stay at home apart from marking them absent. I have two exam students and if the teaching is happening at school, that's where they will be. Also for working parents with younger children, the job is not going to facilitate your personal choice to keep kids at home and in these times, you can't be asking the people who would always oblige with babysitting ie grandparents. What are the teachers here going to do with their own children, send them in or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    Not a dig, but just a glaring omission is your post.

Can you expand on this ? if the first priority is to his/ her health then they will surely be taking steps to maximise health and safety in the school setting which by default will maximise the health and safety of the pupils. Now if we are at the stage that adults are unable to understand the inference in text then the education system is in a far worse state than I thought.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Seriously does it always have to turn into a little sneaky dig - No one knows what health conditions his / her family might have. My first responsibility is to my family therefore I’m prioritising my health and that of my family - if everyone took this attitude we wouldn’t be in the **** storm we are in now. Spare me the sanctimonious crap.

Looks like we'll both be branded as irresponsible,lazy and selfish teachers who don't care about our students for daring to say that our own families come first.

Personally I don't subscribe to the teaching is a vocation bu!!sh!t. It's a job, one which I love but still a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

When teachers are in a classroom, students should be a priority. They are the responsible adult in the room. It's part of the job description.

Health professionals have families too, when they are in work though, patients should be to the foremost of their mind.

What part of the responsible adult prioritising their health do you think doesn’t also prioritise the pupils health. If you need every nuance spelled out for you than that says more about yourself than anything else.

So if I decide to close the windows and doors and thus keep the room nice and warm but denying cold air from outside the chance to circulate am I keeping the children under my care safe?

Am I being responsible? Am I doing a disservice to my students by keeping the room warm or it is a disservice to my students to allow air circulation in my room? Which is it because it can't be a disservice for both.

• Advertisement

So if I decide to close the windows and doors and thus keep the room nice and warm but denying cold air from outside the chance to circulate am I keeping the children under my care safe? Am I being responsible? Am I doing a disservice to my students by keeping the room warm or it is a disservice to my students to allow air circulation in my room?

If you were teaching my children, I would want the windows open and for them to be allowed to wear ski suits if they wanted. The virus loves "nice and warm".

Looks like we'll both be branded as irresponsible,lazy and selfish teachers who don't care about our students for daring to say that our own families come first.

Personally I don't subscribe to the teaching is a vocation bu!!sh!t. It's a job, one which I love but still a job.

Honestly it really doesn't come across like you love your job.

Honestly it really doesn't come across like you love your job.

If you say so.

So if I decide to close the windows and doors and thus keep the room nice and warm but denying cold air from outside the chance to circulate am I keeping the children under my care safe?

Am I being responsible? Am I doing a disservice to my students by keeping the room warm or it is a disservice to my students to allow air circulation in my room? Which is it because it can't be a disservice for both.

It had nothing to with opening the windows. Ventilation is key for limiting the spread of Covid so you are right to do this to maintain a safe environment for everyone in the classroom including the students, not just yourself and your family.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    If you were teaching my children, I would want the windows open and for them to be allowed to wear ski suits if they wanted. The virus loves "nice and warm".

As would I.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

I think you're putting words in his mouth. He did say both he and kids can wrap up warm. Of course the rooms need to be ventilated with this highly contagious air born virus about - in the interest of the health of everyone in the room , and their families. I'm a teacher and a parent and would like both my classroom and my kids classrooms well ventilated when we return. Honestly a few extra layers can keep you warm enough on all but the coldest days.

Mrsmum wrote: »

But, but, but am I not being irresponsible by doing such a thing. Another poster claims I am.

My kids know at this tage that the windows and door are open and will remain open. Wear your thermals, wear layers, wear fleece clothing. I don't care what you are wearing unlike stories we've seen on this threads and other similar ones of schools enforcing uniform codes such as no underarmour type tops allowed. Such rubbish. We have to allow children to try and be warm while windows and doors need to be open.

Only rule in my room is no gloves while trying to write as pens tend to slip. Everything else is fair gsme to keep warm.

I think you're putting words in his mouth. He did say both he and kids can wrap up warm. Of course the rooms need to be ventilated with this highly contagious air born virus about - in the interest of the health of everyone in the room , and their families. I'm a teacher and a parent and would like both my classroom and my kids classrooms well ventilated when we return. Honestly a few extra layers can keep you warm enough on all but the coldest days.

I agree with this completely.

But, but, but am I not being irresponsible by doing such a thing. Another poster claims I am.

My kids know at this tage that the windows and door are open and will remain open. Wear your thermals, wear layers, wear fleece clothing. I don't care what you are wearing unlike stories we've seen on this threads and other similar ones of schools enforcing uniform codes such as no underarmour type tops allowed. Such rubbish. We have to allow children to try and be warm while windows and doors need to be open.

Only rule in my room is no gloves while trying to write as pens tend to slip. Everything else is fair gsme to keep warm.

I agree with opening windows. There's nothing wrong with creating a safe environment to teach in.

It was just all about you and your needs , not the students. I'm sorry I think their needs should be your priority.

Actually that's not what the other poster is claiming. I didn't get his/ her point at first but now I see it. However I also think you can be given the benefit of any doubt should any doubt even exist.

• Advertisement

I agree with opening windows. There's nothing wrong with creating a safe environment to teach in.

It was just all about you and your needs , not the students. I'm sorry I think their needs should be your priority.

I don't have a personal problem with you. This is my first time posting here but I have been reading and noticed your posts and tone previously.

Anyway, nothing to gain continuing with this.

Your attitude is the most powerful force in a classroom.

I wish you, and your students (first and foremost your students) well in the upcoming semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Wouldn't it be great if people discussed the real issue instead of arguing and nitpicking over a poster's perceived intention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

A friend of mine just passed me this article, don't know if it was already shared here but thought it's relevant for this subject:

COVID-19 cases in children surpass 2 million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Government fully intend to reopen next monday
    Boris doing likewise tomorrow across the water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

What are people thoughts on this now ? What is likely to happen?
    All schools reopen as they were before Christmas Holidays on the 11th ? Or go online until 18th or 25th ? Or something else ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

C__MC wrote: »
    Government fully intend to reopen next monday
    Boris doing likewise tomorrow across the water

Boris is in trouble from what I read last night. Unions and court cases starting demanding the data that says it is safe with the level of virus in the community

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

Ireland's hospitals will be "overrun" by the third wave of Covid-19, with up to 3,000 people admitted by the end of the month if the virus continues on its current rate of exponential growth.

The stark warning was issued by Dr Colm Henry, the chief clinical officer with the HSE, as positive Covid-19 case numbers soared to more than 3,000 last night and are expected to double to 6,000 within days.

The crisis facing hospitals has been compounded by chronic staff shortages due to the virus.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/hospitals-now-expect-3000-admissions-by-end-of-month-39924796.html

hopefully they can start tracing and testing close contacts again.. otherwise no way schools should be open

SusanC10 wrote: »
    What are people thoughts on this now ? What is likely to happen?
    All schools reopen as they were before Christmas Holidays on the 11th ? Or go online until 18th or 25th ? Or something else ?

Depends on the cases come mid week
    They opened the schools in October November when it was relatively high
    If the cases drop back to 1000-1500, they'll open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

C__MC wrote: »
    Depends on the cases come mid week
    They opened the schools in October November when it was relatively high
    If the cases drop back to 1000-1500, they'll open

what is relatively high i.e. what were numbers in oct/nov when schools reopened....

• Advertisement

combat14 wrote: »
    what is relatively high i.e. what were numbers in oct/nov when schools reopened....

Actually cant remember

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement