Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lemonzero

Problem is there is a new varient now that is a lot more transmissable(50-70%) and there is still research ongoing on its transmissability to children so it is a different world out there from November.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

SusanC10 wrote: »
    What are people thoughts on this now ? What is likely to happen?
    All schools reopen as they were before Christmas Holidays on the 11th ? Or go online until 18th or 25th ? Or something else ?

Personally I see myself being fully back in primary. Would love to see mask mandate for 4th class up but we won't. There will be a press release promising additional funding and extra measures but nothing will be specified and this nothing deliverable or measurable and thus nothing different.

Secondary I can see having big changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

C__MC wrote: »
    Depends on the cases come mid week
    They opened the schools in October November when it was relatively high
    If the cases drop back to 1000-1500, they'll open

Cases would need to be below 1000 per day for them to re-open - depending on numbers in hostpital and ICU.
    The reality is we are heading quickly for hostpital capacity issues and knock on effects to other healthcare issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Personally I see myself being fully back in primary. Would love to see mask mandate for 4th class up but we won't. There will be a press release promising additional funding and extra measures but nothing will be specified and this nothing deliverable or measurable and thus nothing different.

Secondary I can see having big changes.

I cant see schools opening if cases are above the 1000 mark.

My two are in primary but if cases are above a 1000 its unfair on the schools to open.

Probably keep mine out for another week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

combat14 wrote: »
    what is relatively high i.e. what were numbers in oct/nov when schools reopened....

On the report for the 1st of November, it stated that there had been 12069 cases in the preceeding fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

NetChat101 wrote: »
    Hopefully the current situation will have given people enough of a fright to cop on now and genuinely cut out all but absolutely essential contacts. Not sure though whether a resulting downward trend will be seen before the 11th. Maybe opening on the 18th would allow things to settle a bit. Just my thinking on it!

You would think. I'm just after seeing 4 women from 4 different households going on their usual walk around the lanes walking/talking closely together. Our kids all in the same school/classes.
    I've seen my next door neighbours adult children have friends arriving over the last few days. Another family has invited us over with our children to "get together in the new year" since they've been back visiting other family (in a county which has rampant cases) as if nothing at all is going on. I was so annoyed it took me 2 days to reply because I couldn't think of anything polite enough. I finally said HNY we'll see you after the lockdown. Our kids are in the same classes.

I can only imagine what other families are doing. The government thinks they can say they gave the extra days for school families to isolate before school commences again yet CLEARLY this country has sh!t the bed on any self control. To hide behind that faulty logic is so irresponsible and ridiculous it has me angry.
    How does this make any sense in light of the cases being out of control, tracking and tracing system not coping, and a more contagious strain that looks to be affecting children more. More virus than ever before will be going into the schools and spreading into other families homes. No additional safety measures for schools. Primary students still unmasked.

Our kids aren't going back in light of all this, and they probably won't have access to remote learning either since they're not going that way by the sounds of things. So in order to keep our family safe we now have to figure out how to homeschool our kids at the last minute and have that burden on top of everything else work wise. At least we can manage to keep them home; I really feel for families and teachers/school staff who don't have that option. And for those with underlying conditions too. Many must must be out of their minds with the stress.

On the report for the 1st of November, it stated that there had been 12069 cases in the preceeding fortnight.

But they were confined to certain areas. This time it's all over the place and the new strain is the unknown.

We knew kids weren't spreading it, this time we arent so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

so at least below 1000 cases a day on average

But they were confined to certain areas. This time it's all over the place and the new strain is the unknown.

We knew kids weren't spreading it, this time we arent so sure

yes unfortunately all the indications so far are the:

New coronavirus strain appears to infect children more easily

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/new-coronavirus-strain-appears-to-infect-children-more-easily/amp/

Stateofyou wrote: »
    You would think. I'm just after seeing 4 women from 4 different households going on their usual walk around the lanes walking/talking closely together. Our kids all in the same school/classes.
    I've seen my next door neighbours adult children have friends arriving over the last few days. Another family has invited us over with our children to "get together in the new year" since they've been back visiting other family (in a county which has rampant cases) as if nothing at all is going on. I was so annoyed it took me 2 days to reply because I couldn't think of anything polite enough. I finally said HNY we'll see you after the lockdown. Our kids are in the same classes.

I can only imagine what other families are doing. The government thinks they can say they gave the extra days for school families to isolate before school commences again yet CLEARLY this country has sh!t the bed on any self control. To hide behind that faulty logic is so irresponsible and ridiculous it has me angry.
    How does this make any sense in light of the cases being out of control, tracking and tracing system not coping, and a more contagious strain that looks to be affecting children more. More virus than ever before will be going into the schools and spreading into other families homes. No additional safety measures for schools. Primary students still unmasked.

Our kids aren't going back in light of all this, and they probably won't have access to remote learning either since they're not going that way by the sounds of things. So in order to keep our family safe we now have to figure out how to homeschool our kids at the last minute and have that burden on top of everything else work wise. At least we can manage to keep them home; I really feel for families and teachers/school staff who don't have that option. And for those with underlying conditions too. Many must must be out of their minds with the stress.

Kids playing out in the fresh air is ok, we had sports all the time before in level 5 for kids. Indoor is different.
    Same for adults outside, chances of picking it up is slim. Indoors is different.

Our kids contact is non existing right now as weather wasn't great and friends were away. Will keep them in for two days and then going to their nana for a few days. No risk here as all sides had no contact with anyone.

No nana once school starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr infomaniac

I think schools should reopen 11 jan. But on reduced hours maby 10am until 1.30pm. Teachers should be in earlier and have all school work and homework for day prepared. Kids should only have 1 break for 10mins at their desk.

Also some sort of daily online education video should be done for each class this could also b broadcast on national tv. Would be helpful to any kids self isolating and for any period of time school is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

I think schools should reopen 11 jan. But on reduced hours maby 10am until 1.30pm. Teachers should be in earlier and have all school work and homework for day prepared. Kids should only have 1 break for 10mins at their desk.

Also some sort of daily online education video should be done for each class this could also b broadcast on national tv. Would be helpful to any kids self isolating and for any period of time school is closed.

A 2 day/3 day split for pupils/staff

So 50% wouldnt be in contact would be my idea

Could never be implemented by our morons though

A kids break.at their desk is not good for them mentally. They need to get out, exercise is more important.
    Reduce hours achieves nothing, doesn't lower the risk

Solar2021 wrote: »

This is also a great idea.

Different teacher for the two groups so?
    Otherwise all at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Fair solution
    Close until the 18th
    Give all school stakeholders time to work it out in terms of planning etc

A kids break.at their desk is not good for them mentally. They need to get out, exercise is more important.
    Reduce hours achieves nothing, doesn't lower the risk

In my opinion its even worse mentally to be off school for these extended periods.

I can take my kids out every day walking and playing hurling and football in garden.
    I cant educate them as i am not very well educated myself.
    I worry we will have a generation of undereducated kids.

1 posotive of all this pandemic is ive started spend more time outside with my kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Different teacher for the two groups so?
    Otherwise all at risk

Yes all staff and pupils

jrosen wrote: »
    I’d need to know more about cases in our locality before I made a decision. If numbers were high I’d keep them home. How long for would depend on numbers. Also have to take into account what sort of supports would be coming from schools..

But if numbers in the community are ok, I’d probably send them.

But with the backlog of cases and the reporting system not coping, the loss of testing close contacts-you won't know what the true picture is in your local community...

Exactly they will change the criteria for testing in order to reduce daily numbers enough to make the public think everything is alright, ive said it before but i fully see everything as normal on the 11th

They may open the schools now, but eventually the picture we get from the hospitals will give it away. The health system will become overwhelmed. Sooner or this irresponsibility will catch up to us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Lemonzero

Still dont see how schools can open at all given there is a new and more transmissable varient (50-70%) and potentially more transmissable amongst school children. Schools are no longer safe and could be a hotbed for transmission.Think it is highly irresponsible for department to say they are safe given the new sitiluation we are in. I would need a lot more comfort to send my kids back in current circumstances

In my opinion its even worse mentally to be off school for these extended periods.

I can take my kids out every day walking and playing hurling and football in garden.
    I cant educate them as i am not very well educated myself.
    I worry we will have a generation of undereducated kids.

1 posotive of all this pandemic is ive started spend more time outside with my kids.

Kids wont be uneducated.
    It is great to get more time with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

I’ve been saying this for ages. It’s the way to go, so we can be sure the Government won’t do it!

Lemonzero wrote: »
    Still dont see how schools can open at all given there is a new and more transmissable varient (50-70%) and potentially more transmissable amongst school children. Schools are no longer safe and could be a hotbed for transmission.Think it is highly irresponsible for department to say they are safe given the new sitiluation we are in. I would need a lot more comfort to send my kids back in current circumstances

labour party leader looking for nphet to do risk assessment for schools in light of new mutant covid variant increased transmissbility and increased effects on children etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Would you not need double the no of teachers ? Maybe I'm not understanding, could you explain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Would you not need double the no of teachers ? Maybe I'm not understanding, could you explain please.

Teachers work 5 days. Class split in two. Half in at any time.

Yes all staff and pupils

So need to hire extra staff on temp contracts?

For my kids school, they have a teacher and a helper, so two extra staff needed there.

Unions will have a field day

Kids playing out in the fresh air is ok, we had sports all the time before in level 5 for kids. Indoor is different.
    Same for adults outside, chances of picking it up is slim. Indoors is different.

Our kids contact is non existing right now as weather wasn't great and friends were away. Will keep them in for two days and then going to their nana for a few days. No risk here as all sides had no contact with anyone.

No nana once school starts

Nevertheless, the restriction rules for level 5 are to meet up with one other person for outdoor exercise. One of the ladies I know has had another 2 children over for sleepovers since lockdown-this came from one of my kids who plays online with their child. Usually when you see people disregarding restrictions (that science experts put there for a reason) that's not the only one they're breaking.

Also, all bets are off with the new, more contagious strain...

We have had no in person contact either, and a quiet Christmas with just ourselves.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Nevertheless, the restriction rules for level 5 are to meet up with one other person for outdoor exercise. One of the ladies I know has had another 2 children over for sleepovers since lockdown-this came from one of my kids who plays online with their child. Usually when you see people disregarding restrictions (that science experts put there for a reason) that's not the only one they're breaking.

Also, all bets are off with the new, more contagious strain...

We have had no in person contact either, and a quiet Christmas with just ourselves.

A quiet 9 months 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Benimar wrote: »
    Teachers work 5 days. Class split in two. Half in at any time.

Yes that makes sense but I though the poster was suggesting different teachers for each half of the kids. Sorry I probably just misunderstood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement