Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Solar2021 wrote: »
    A 2 day/3 day split for pupils/staff

So 50% wouldnt be in contact would be my idea

Could never be implemented by our morons though

This was suggested as an idea on here previously and rubbished by some ad the argument was and I kinda agree with it that it totally disrupts the week both from a school point of view and also childcare. Maybe a week in, week out would be better for everyone if going down this road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Benimar wrote: »
    I’ve been saying this for ages. It’s the way to go, so we can be sure the Government won’t do it!

Of course it will never happen

No good idea does

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Yes that makes sense but I though the poster was suggesting different teachers for each half of the kids. Sorry I probably just misunderstood.

Correct

Has to be different teachers

Wouldnt work otherwise

You cut the exposure risk in half that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I think schools should reopen 11 jan. But on reduced hours maby 10am until 1.30pm. Teachers should be in earlier and have all school work and homework for day prepared. Kids should only have 1 break for 10mins at their desk.

Also some sort of daily online education video should be done for each class this could also b broadcast on national tv. Would be helpful to any kids self isolating and for any period of time school is closed.

Reduced hours won’t do anything - it’s reducing numbers that’s key whether thats a week on week off of 2/ 3 day split . Both options have positives and negatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

This was suggested as an idea on here previously and rubbished by some ad the argument was and I kinda agree with it that it totally disrupts the week both from a school point of view and also childcare. Maybe a week in, week out would be better for everyone if going down this road.

So half the class in on a rotating week, right? That would certainly help to reduce class sizes and mixing with the full amount of class households. But then I also think about the research and data coming from spread on a bus. One infected person causing many other infections and to people not sitting directly around them either. Still need good ventilation and it's freezing out. The best option is a hard lockdown for whole country for a period of time (essential workers aside w/childcare provisions) financial help for those at home, and remote learning until vaccine rollout fully implemented. This will protect us all the best, and most importantly our health care system. There are many even now not getting the care and services they need. In my opinion the government are taking us down with the ship.

• Advertisement

Week on and off as suggested below might work better fort that situation

Teacher's should be up for it

Reduced working hours on site by 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Correct

Has to be different teachers

Wouldnt work otherwise

You cut the exposure risk in half that way

Are there all these extra teachers available. I thought there was a shortage of teachers already ??

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Reduced hours won’t do anything - it’s reducing numbers that’s key whether thats a week on week off of 2/ 3 day split . Both options have positives and negatives.

Week on and off might be better alright

I would prefer that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Are there all these extra teachers available. I thought there was a shortage of teachers already ??

No there is no way it can be implemented with different teachers. Staff are simply not there. Week on week off could work provided everyone seriously limited contacts. It would also allow time for a deep clean if the building before 2nd cohort came in. In reality though it would be a logistical nightmare to organise.

ETA - parents would have to accept that online learning could not take place on the week off. Independent busy work yes but there is not the staff to provide in class teaching and online teaching running parallel.

Week on and off as suggested below might work better fort that situation

Teacher's should be up for it

Reduced working hours on site by 50%

No, split the class in half. Half in one week, oher half in the following week. Class not in has worked assigned online that is associated with what had been taught the previous week when they were in. Teachers at school as normal.

• Advertisement

No, split the class in half. Half in one week, oher half in the following week. Class not in has worked assigned online that is associated with what had been taught the previous week when they were in. Teachers at school as normal.

Its pointless then

Teacher will be exposed to the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

So need to hire extra staff on temp contracts?

For my kids school, they have a teacher and a helper, so two extra staff needed there.

Unions will have a field day

Problemm is staff is not there as it is. In my area we have 4 subs covering 16 primary schools most of which are large and have about 50 teachers each in them. Difficult situation. The subs have been coming in but are worried at that much exposure, but have been getting on with their jobs.

Its pointless then

Teacher will be exposed to the virus

We will be exposed no matter what inbuilding situation is implemented. The whole idea is reducing movement of people while still having some semblance of routine for the school community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

properly planned remote learning with full buy in from everyone is what makes sense

what in blazes have the govt and the dept of ed. being doing on this front since march last year .........?????

lulublue22 wrote: »
    No there is no way it can be implemented with different teachers. Staff are simply not there. Week on week off could work provided everyone seriously limited contacts. It would also allow time for a deep clean if the building before 2nd cohort came in. In reality though it would be a logistical nightmare to organise.

ETA - parents would have to accept that online learning could not take place on the week off. Independent busy work yes but there is not the staff to provide in class teaching and online teaching running parallel.

Online and inclass cannot occur simultaneously as the numbers aren't there. Quite why people cannot grasp this is beyond me.

Week on week off could be workable and continue to concentrate on the main subjects with art and PE for mental wellbeing.

combat14 wrote: »
    properly planned remote learning with full buy in from everyone is what makes sense

what in blazes have the govt and the dept of ed. being doing on this front since march last year .........?????

Sweet. F@ck. All.

Pracitising hide and seek

khalessi wrote: »
    Week on week off could be workable and continue to concentrate on the main subjects with art and PE for mental wellbeing.

Very concentrated work on the three core subjects plus one other. Daily 30min PE outdoors at the end of the regardless of the weather conditions. That way if they got wet they go straight home and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Manipulating the numbers when it comes to schools!

• Advertisement

What are the teachers here going to do with their own children, send them in or not ?

This I am trying to decide. I have both parents getting chemo, one is on longterm chemo for over a year and the other started last Wednesday. Neither are curable both are treatable/manageable.

I am a single parent and if I could I would not sent my children in. I am not in a position to do this as I dont have anyone else to help. But my first choice is for them not to go for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr infomaniac

Online and inclass cannot occur simultaneously as the numbers aren't there. Quite why people cannot grasp this is beyond me.

Why cant we just have 1 teacher/presenter do an online class for each year of national school. Obviously there will be some kids have already done that days lesson before but surley its better than learning nothing.

the kelt wrote: »
    Manipulating the numbers when it comes to schools!

When the anon minister said last week that schools would close at 2500 cases and we discovered the case load maxes out at 1700ish. I did wonder did they think we would never discover this and thus keep schools open.

I was watching the NPHET press conference last week and when they announce the postponing of track and trace of close contacts, I said to my folks numbers will "drop" and schools will reopen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It would have to be week on week off for secondary school. 2+2 and a day in between would be a complete disaster timetabling. At least with week on week off the students in could follow the normal timetable for the week they are in

From a news article I just read moments ago:

Eamon Ryan has suggested that the 5km exercise limit could be reduced to just 2km if Covid-19 continues to spread across Ireland.

The Green Party leader also said that there were no plans to extend the closure of schools, and it is currently expected that schools will reopen on January 11.

He explained that a further reduction of the travel limit could be considered if the virus is not brought under control.

Don't close the dangerous mixing of the schools, just reduce the km's we're allowed exercise outdoors. You can't make this sh!te up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Why cant we just have 1 teacher/presenter do an online class for each year of national school. Obviously there will be some kids have already done that days lesson before but surley its better than learning nothing.

You say that now, but believe me if it comes down to that, it will be 'one video a week, from one teacher, what are the rest of them doing, on full pay'

The idea of half in and half out will also be an issue. It's fine now talking about it, but when I brought that up on a Covod thread with a more broad audience of non-teachers, most hated the idea because their kids would still be at home every other week and how were they supposed to mind them every other week when working from home (understandable)

My experience of online teaching was that for everyone you live stream for, there will be someone not available who will want a recording. For everyone you send the recording to, there will be one whose bandwidth doesnt support playing it. For everyone you then supply a worksheet for, there will be one who needs it sent to them in screenshot form because their computer doest allow attachments. It is fierce time consuming. That is why I will be starting work on it all from Wednesday, whether or not we know what is happening.

Good interview with Leo Varadkar on radio 1 this morning. Norma will be leading the return to schools, which right now will be happening on 11th. She will be in touch with the unions and principals shortly.

Stateofyou wrote: »

Eamon Ryan has suggested that the 5km exercise limit could be reduced to just 2km if Covid-19 continues to spread across Ireland.

The Green Party leader also said that there were no plans to extend the closure of schools, and it is currently expected that schools will reopen on January 11.

He explained that a further reduction of the travel limit could be considered if the virus is not brought under control.

Don't close the dangerous mixing of the schools, just reduce the km's we're allowed exercise outdoors. You can't make this sh!te up.

Fantastic plan. We have 900 kids so that would be conservatively 300 parents for drop off and collection. There are 4 schools in immediate area of similar size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Slowly but surely I think people are realising the official figures around schools aren't accurate and are been spun for various reasons . The government need to move now and shut schools until the end of January at a minimum and be truthful about their lack of preparation for remote learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

What are the teachers here going to do with their own children, send them in or not ?

I'm most likely going to keep our 2 out for a fortnight and see how numbers go or if cases in children increase.

If the trajectory is going in positive direction by then I'll let them go back in.

Not everyone has the option but I'm reluctant to chance it at the min.

I'll obviously have to work so family might go to grandparents for a bit. None of us have interacted with anyone, bar the local shop, since Dec 19.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Stateofyou wrote: »

I wonder if Ryan's allotment in Goatstown is less than 2klms from his house. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement