Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

alroley wrote: »
    I really don't think schools will be open on the 11th.

Everything coming from government or the media would indicate otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't understand how they can.

I'm still working but from tomorrow I can no longer meet clients face to face, it has to be remote until at least the end of the month. That's a directive from the HSE to my organisation. How can the Dept of Education then say its safe for 30 odd people to be in room together for hours at a time? Its a total contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

They said that schools would definitely open on Jan 6 and then literally later that day they announced it would actually be the 11th.

No chance they will open.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

I really don't think schools will be open on the 11th.

Same...im think March😞

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They said that schools would definitely open on Jan 6 and then literally later that day they announced it would actually be the 11th.

They'll open of numbers go below 2500. Which they may do since close contact tracing is gone.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I won't be sending my three in either. Mind you if the numbers in my town/county were on the lower end I would definitely consider it.

Just wait, norma will go to ground, the minister of transport or agriculture will confirm schools open on Monday week, mehole will give a inspirational speech on how kids are safe and doing a fantastic job on top of giving us renewed faith with extra (not imaginary) supplies and procedures.
    2 weeks back everything will be a ****show but norma will appear out of hibernation to say schools are safe and its all the "household transmissions" That are the issue, praise the kids, and low and behold, a no homework day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

They'll open of numbers go below 2500. Which they may do since close contact tracing is gone.

Agree.

The lesson in all of this....now don't shoot me....is that in fact schools are controlled places and not a driver. The surge only started after the schools closed on 22nd...the pubs, shops, home gatherings, and restaurants!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

Just wait, norma will go to ground, the minister of transport or agriculture will confirm schools open on Monday week, mehole will give a inspirational speech on how kids are safe and doing a fantastic job on top of giving us renewed faith with extra (not imaginary) supplies and procedures.
    2 weeks back everything will be a ****show but norma will appear out of hibernation to say schools are safe and its all the "household transmissions" That are the issue, praise the kids, and low and behold, a no homework day.[/quo

Lol...i definitely love no homework days. Thats it in a nutshell

Clouron wrote: »
    Agree.

The lesson in all of this....now don't shoot me....is that in fact schools are controlled places and not a driver. The surge only started after the schools closed on 22nd...the pubs, shops, home gatherings, and restaurants!

Schools are a driver, its been proven worldwide, they are not the sole driver, as nothing is with a virus like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

2 weeks back everything will be a ****show but norma will appear out of hibernation to say schools are safe and its all the "household transmissions" That are the issue, praise the kids, and low and behold, a no homework day.

MM already mentioned schools are safe. It was the pause between that and the finish of "for children", that caught my attention and that was before we knew about London variant. They know some children get it, most dont get sick but can pass it on and they know it is not safe for the adults working there.

And sure what does that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

khalessi wrote: »
    MM already mentioned schools are safe. It was the pause between that and the finish of "for children", that caught my attention and that was before we knew about London variant. They know some children get it, most dont get sick but can pass it on and they know it is not safe for the adults working there.

And sure what does that matter.

That's it in a nutshell for me. I'm pretty sure my son will be okay if he got it, he's pretty healthy so should recover well. But if he brought it into the house..... its my husband and older child I'm worried about, both have chronic conditions and I can't say the same for them so I'm not willing to take the chance.

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's it in a nutshell for me. I'm pretty sure my son will be okay if he got it, he's pretty healthy so should recover well. But if he brought it into the house..... its my husband and older child I'm worried about, both have chronic conditions and I can't say the same for them so I'm not willing to take the chance.

And god forbid it came into your house it would in all likelihood just end up classed as a household transmission thereby alleviating any fault on open schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

NPHET said over and over that schools are safe if the community is. Positivity is nearly 22%. There is a backlog of cases. Our hospitals are initiating surge capacity. I’m cocooning because my asthma has flared up and I’m on oral steroids again.

The community is NOT safe. If NPHET come out and say that schools can open for all students on the 11th I will lose any respect for them at all. And if they say close them and the government leave them open....

I’m so appreciative that I’m one of the lucky few teachers designated very high risk and working from home. God help those who were deemed high risk and made work

And god forbid it came into your house it would in all likelihood just end up classed as a household transmission thereby alleviating any fault on open schools

Ahhhh but that was a pre Christmas issue, now everywhere is like schools,;)no proper track and tracing, so just isolate and wait. Looking at hospital staff isolating I can only see the same for teachers and absecences for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

When did "schools are safe", that is, that schools represent a relatively moderate risk of infectious outbreaks when levels of the virus are manageable in the community, come to mean "schools won't increase cases when between 1 and 1.5% of the country is covid positive, there are 100,000 close contacts every week, the HSE are predicting that hospitals will reach capacity in the next week or two and a new, more transmissble strain is spreading at a rate we cannot measure yet?

And why does the Minister for Education think that it is acceptable that schools have the same protection measures for level 1/old variant scenario and in the diabolical sitatuation we find ourselves in now?

St.Spodo wrote: »
    When did "schools are safe", that is, that schools represent a site of moderate risk of infection when levels of the virus are manageable in the community, come to mean "schools won't increase cases when between 1 and 1.5% of the country is covid positive, there are 100,000 close contacts every week, the HSE are predicting that hospitals will reach capacity in the next week or two and a new, more transmissble strain is spreading at a rate we cannot measure yet?

WHen the government needed it to.

And why does the Minister for Education think that it is acceptable that schools have the same protection measures for level 1/old variant scenario and in the diabolical sitatuation we find ourselves in now?

When getting reelected and votes became important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

In my opinion the only reason schools haven't been closed is because of the amount of teachers who didn't step up to the plate last March/ April.
    The Government know that it will be same this time with the same excuses from the same lazy teachers.
    If like other countries they had of stepped up and got on with things instead of feeble excuses about "the department" and "gdpr" and just taught online instead of treating it like an extended holiday all kids would be learning from home for the next two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As me and others have said, the government don't give a fiddlers for the safety of staff and children so long as they can look like they are doing the correct thing. Schools will be open on the 11th, a surge of "household cases" Will happen again/continue and we will be restricted to 1km exercise.

What a ****ing joke.

Schools wont be open on the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In my opinion the only reason schools haven't been closed is because of the amount of teachers who didn't step up to the plate last March/ April.
    The Government know that it will be same this time with the same excuses from the same lazy teachers.
    If like other countries they had of stepped up and got on with things instead of feeble excuses about "the department" and "gdpr" and just taught online instead of treating it like an extended holiday all kids would be learning from home for the next two months.
    Well, that's just nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hard to teach kids who have no internet or device to access the teaching
    Anyway, most schools coped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

kippy wrote: »

How can you be so sure ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

That has to be one of the most arseways/backwards take on a situation ever. Honestly, boards should do rewards for the craic, and submit this comment!

The reason schools haven't been closed is because "the economy," and the only reason we don't have a cohesive national remote learning plan is in my opinion due to the laziness and lack of forward thinking from those in government. Who treated March-Sept as some type of extended holiday refusing to do what other countries have done, and therefore failing the children of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Look at the language they are now using. Use of the word "intention" and similar. Nothing for definite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Northern Ireland's kids will all be going remote. Somehow they don't see/have the same obstacles up there.

Seems like we had a nice break from this kind of crap for a while, was bound to resurface, its educators fault for being whiney and schools are safe so shut up is switching to its educators fault for whining and now schools arnt safe and wont close because of them

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

If cases are too high we should bring forward the Easter and Summer holidays to cover us. Run the schools through the Summer months to make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

kippy wrote: »

They might though, I wouldn't be so sure.

They may be half empty but open for the 11th, I don't know either way what they will decide to do but leaving it until next Thursday to let people know is not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Impossible when the teachers don't even try.

My kids got an email on a Sunday evening with work for the week ahead. Most likely it was the teachers lesson plan that they already had ready or had to do anyways.

Kids were barely given enough work to cover one school day not to mind a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement