Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

I somehow doubt that it's the kids that would be bothered by it.

I know my kids wouldn't be able for it. They're pretty tired and ready for the break once holiday time rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

daheff wrote: »
    Impossible when the teachers don't even try.

My kids got an email on a Sunday evening with work for the week ahead. Most likely it was the teachers lesson plan that they already had ready or had to do anyways.

Kids were barely given enough work to cover one school day not to mind a week.

Did you mention this to the teacher at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i would do the 3 and a half weeks no problem in june, if we all just go to ground now. L cert back to july 7th or so. Leaving certs wouldnt mind gives them an extra month to get in projects and study. Make this call NOW. I know anyone commutiing a long distance would be delighted to go in june than january, bright mornings and bright evenings ,sure it wouldnt feel like work at all, maybe a permenant fixture!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i would do the 3 and a half weeks no problem in june, if we all just go to ground now. L cert back to july 7th or so. Leaving certs wouldnt mind gives them an extra month to get in projects and study. Make this call NOW. I know anyone commutiing a long distance would be delighted to go in june than january, bright mornings and bright evenings ,sure it wouldnt feel like work at all, maybe a permenant fixture!

Wouldn't get my vote to be a permanent fixture. I live for my summer holidays more than any other holidays.

I don't understand this. It always feels like work, whether it is in winter or summer. I wouldn't work any less just because the days were brighter.

If the schools don't reopen on 11th Jan it will be remote teaching. What do you mean by "we all go to ground"? That's not possible. Parents will still have to work remotely. If their kids have no online school to go to, do you think they are all just going to sit obediently indoors and not meet up and do far more mixing than they would if they were kept in school in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I don't understand this. It always feels like work, whether it is in winter or summer. I wouldn't work any less just because the days were brighter.

If the schools don't reopen on 11th Jan it will be remote teaching. What do you mean by "we all go to ground"? That's not possible. Parents will still have to work remotely. If their kids have no online school to go to, do you think they are all just going to sit obediently indoors and not meet up and do far more mixing than they would if they were kept in school in the first place?

It's hard to imagine how they could do more mixing than being around hundreds of other students every day :confused:

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's hard to imagine how they could do more mixing than being around hundreds of other students every day :confused:

I doubt that when they go around to each others houses they are all sitting 1.2m apart with masks on for 90% of the time they are there, but maybe they are

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Coming from a 6th year student, I'd rather be in 6th year for as short as possible thanks.

I don't want to be starting college by November or very late October (esp since exams have to be corrected and re-corrected etc, that'll take long enough to do with the 72 hours covid wait time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

Under pressure HSE may have to stop offering Covid-19 testing to people who have symptoms

The HSE is under such pressure that it may have to stop offering a Covid-19 testing to everyone in the coming weeks who has symptoms, Independent.ie has learned.

The testing and tracing system is becoming increasingly overwhelmed to the point where the automatic test for everyone who is suspected of having the lethal virus may have to be abandoned.

Instead, targeted testing of particular groups – such as older people – may have to be introduced.

https://m.independent.ie/news/under-pressure-hse-may-have-to-stop-offering-covid-19-testing-to-people-who-have-symptoms-39927133.html

looks like game over for schools opening if end of testing happens.......

no covid testing no schools

combat14 wrote: »
    Under pressure HSE may have to stop offering Covid-19 testing to people who have symptoms

The HSE is under such pressure that it may have to stop offering a Covid-19 testing to everyone in the coming weeks who has symptoms, Independent.ie has learned.

The testing and tracing system is becoming increasingly overwhelmed to the point where the automatic test for everyone who is suspected of having the lethal virus may have to be abandoned.

Instead, targeted testing of particular groups – such as older people – may have to be introduced.

https://m.independent.ie/news/under-pressure-hse-may-have-to-stop-offering-covid-19-testing-to-people-who-have-symptoms-39927133.html

Sounds to me like the start of downplaying it to be "just like the flu"

And not because it is just like the flu. Because they simply can't cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

My copped on head is going enough is enough schools have to close, cant open without track and trace. We can't have children or staff in school symptomatic or asymptomatic and then also who are their close contacts?

My sarky side goes, oh look!! no testing, drop in number of cases ohh school can open.

khalessi wrote: »
    My copped on head is going enough is enough schools have to close, cant open without track and trace. We can't have children or staff in school symptomatic or asymptomatic and then also who are their close contacts?

My sarky side goes, oh look!! no testing, drop in number of cases ohh school can open.

Your sarky side should really think about going into politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

the unions will direct teachers to remote teach online if testing system has collapsed to that extent

the unions will direct teachers to remote teach online if testing system has collapsed to that extent

The three unions cannot agree what day of the week it is much less a cohesive and collective strategy. I say that as someone who is heavily involved at branch and district level within the INTO.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

More a case of no covid testing, no covid cases.

Testing older/vulnerable people is becoming the priority and that they aren't concerned enough to keep testing people who don't fall into that category even if they have symptoms.

Less testing also means less cases, so once they are happy with numbers schools will be expected to open.

NPHET have not recommend schools close, they didn't even recommend the current 3 day extension.

“The NPHET was of the view that schools should reopen as planned,” said Holohan.

You see what's happening here?

Locotastic wrote: »
    More a case of no covid testing, no covid cases.

Testing older/vulnerable people is becoming the priority and that they aren't concerned enough to keep testing people who don't fall into that category even if they have symptoms.

Less testing also means less cases, so once they are happy with numbers schools will be expected to open.

NPHET have not recommend schools close, they didn't even recommend the current 3 day extension.

“The NPHET was of the view that schools should reopen as planned,” said Holohan.

You see what's happening here?

A whitewash??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I doubt that when they go around to each others houses they are all sitting 1.2m apart with masks on for 90% of the time they are there, but maybe they are

Like they are on the bus home from school :pac:

People still don't seem to get that the more people you are around regularly the more likely you are to catch a commutable virus.

If they are with their same 3 or 4 friends every day, the risk is a lot lower than being in close contact with dozens of others every day, regardless of masks.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    If they are with their same 3 or 4 friends every day, the risk is a lot lower than being in close contact with dozens of others every day, regardless of masks.

I don't disagree with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

Tony H will over ride the government and keep schools closed.

Saw this made me laugh - the Kevin McManus post that is.

https://twitter.com/bassbreeze/status/1345899368826732544

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Chaotic over in the UK today

Hopefully we get a decision shortly, they will have to remain closed right now

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Messi19

Saw this made me laugh - the Kevin McManus post that is.

https://twitter.com/bassbreeze/status/1345899368826732544

Same hairstyle at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-government-fears-public-believes-it-has-lost-control-1.4449324

Paragraph 7 of this Article says
    "Every single Government source who spoke privately on Sunday did not expect schools to reopen on the week beginning January 11th."

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

Treseemme. wrote: »
    Chaotic over in the UK today

Hopefully we get a decision shortly, they will have to remain closed right now

Are the unions meeting on Wednesday with the NPHET advice due to issue on Thursday? Or have I dreamt that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

This thread is going to be fun over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

SusanC10 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-government-fears-public-believes-it-has-lost-control-1.4449324

"Every single Government source who spoke privately on Sunday did not expect schools to reopen on the week beginning January 11th."

God that's depressing.

My eight year old cried when we told her that schools were closing again. She was okay when we explained that it was only for three days initially, and if it was a bit longer it wouldn't be anywhere near the three month closure last year. I hope I was right telling her that.

The 6 year old couldn't have given a toss. She loves being at home.

The 3 year old went into creche this morning. I'll bet my house that it will be closed by the end of the week.

I have a work project that is closing at the end of January. Two years of work. The three weeks before Christmas were 90 hour weeks and it's going to demand the same over the next three weeks. In fairness to my job, it is really flexible until the point you get to the end of a project. The closure of this project has already been delayed by four months because of the first lockdown, and I don't have a team for this particular piece of work - so no one can take up the slack.

I am DREADING the next three weeks if we have all three kids at home with us. The only way around it that I can see is just that I'll have to work through the night and get 3/4 hours sleep for three weeks. I did that once on a previous project and I swore I would never do it again as I nearly had a nervous breakdown at the end of it. But there's no way around it.

That all being said, objectively I can understand that schools and creches have to close if infections stay on the same trajectory. I get it.

Just. God. **puts head in hands**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It will be interesting to see how they manage it tbh. I don’t honestly think it should be blanket out at this stage tbh. Week on week off for two weeks would instantly half numbers in crèches and schools making it safer and would mean the workforce isn’t fully affected and that kids only miss a week of school as such rather than too

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Are the unions meeting on Wednesday with the NPHET advice due to issue on Thursday? Or have I dreamt that?

Think there are some meetings today. I know that INTO CEC are meeting tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

JDD wrote: »
    God that's depressing.

My eight year old cried when we told her that schools were closing again. She was okay when we explained that it was only for three days initially, and if it was a bit longer it wouldn't be anywhere near the three month closure last year. I hope I was right telling her that.

The 6 year old couldn't have given a toss. She loves being at home.

The 3 year old went into creche this morning. I'll bet my house that it will be closed by the end of the week.

I have a work project that is closing at the end of January. Two years of work. The three weeks before Christmas were 90 hour weeks and it's going to demand the same over the next three weeks. In fairness to my job, it is really flexible until the point you get to the end of a project. The closure of this project has already been delayed by four months because of the first lockdown, and I don't have a team for this particular piece of work - so no one can take up the slack.

I am DREADING the next three weeks if we have all three kids at home with us. The only way around it that I can see is just that I'll have to work through the night and get 3/4 hours sleep for three weeks. I did that once on a previous project and I swore I would never do it again as I nearly had a nervous breakdown at the end of it. But there's no way around it.

That all being said, objectively I can understand that schools and creches have to close if infections stay on the same trajectory. I get it.

Just. God. **puts head in hands**

Heart goes out to you, best of luck in next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

SusanC10 wrote: »

Well there you go...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement