Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Wud be great if they'd just bloody tell us. Online work, if that's the direction they're gonna go, doesn't prepare itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wud be great if they'd just bloody tell us. Online work, if that's the direction they're gonna go, doesn't prepare itself.

It’s a given at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

km79 wrote: »
    It’s a given at this stage

Why not say it then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I think it's a given too. It'd be nice to get the work we're supposed to do with our kids before the weekend, so that we can read it ourselves over the weekend and prepare what we need. Instead of getting the day's work at 9.30 on Monday morning, and spending an hour firing up an ancient laptop to print out work, or collecting various bits and pieces from the house for the maths project, when you're supposed to be on a work call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I doubt that when they go around to each others houses they are all sitting 1.2m apart with masks on for 90% of the time they are there, but maybe they are

The problem is this argument doesn’t stack up.

My local town is a relatively small local town. Yet every school day well over 1000 kids are bussed or drove into this town. They aren’t socially distant on their journeys and I doubt they’re masked.

They all congregate in the same place in this town every day. Every day they’re down town at lunch time, they’re in the shops, they’re in the takeaways, they’re circulating in that town every day and once again in the eve they’re all congregating in the same areas again.

You can multiply that by 100,s throughout the country and indeed my local town is far from the biggest in the county, other towns have way more doing exactly the same thing.

If the schools aren’t open and kids are at home they’re not doing this.

This idea that kids are safer in schools etc cos they’re masked socially distant etc completely ignores everything else that goes into a school day for hundreds of thousands of kids in this country. This idea that they will just spend time in shopping centres etc if not in schools is so false and Dublin/ big city centric but then again that’s hardly surprising I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I really feel for the school staff. Throughout all this, in my job, we have been kept in the loop at every stage since March. Sometimes there hasn’t been anything happening and our bosses are as much in the dark as anyone but we’ve felt excluded or ignored. I still have to work but I feel as much as possible is being done to keep us safe and anxiety at a minimum. School staff seem completely in the dark as to what’s going on. Safety seems to be way down on the list of priorities. Where are your unions? Why aren’t they fighting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Okay so if schools don't open, how long do you think they'll stay closed for? Maybe 2 to 3 weeks and back in the end of the month? I am just trying to think optimistically about this situation which we have suddenly found ourselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Okay so if schools don't open, how long do you think they'll stay closed for? Maybe 2 to 3 weeks and back in the end of the month? I am just trying to think optimistically about this situation which we have suddenly found ourselves in.

That’s what I think
    End of January
    But maybe only for exam classes until the mid term .........
    I can’t see mocks going ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

4-6 weeks is my guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

I’m thinking a reopening after the February midterm break. I really hope I’m wrong though. The thoughts of homeschooling and minding a toddler combined with full time work again!! I wonder if they close again, would consideration be given to giving working parents the option to elect for the PUP payment for the duration of school/crèche closures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Why not say it then

Because people in this country have proven they have short memories. The longer it's left to make the call the more people won't see it for what it is. A massive row back that was always on the cards despite being told it wasn't.

Then the rose tinted glasses come on in a couple of years time (it's a human condition when looking at the past) and people will say what a great job Varadkar and Harris did and subsequently MM and Donnelly. Foley may be the exception here as she is proving to be quite useless but don't be surprised if she gets back in too. After all, she's done a great job so far keeping the schools COVID free. It's only spreading in the community :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

What’s really unfair on people now is that Nora, Micheal and others will play politics with this.

They will delay and dither and review until we end up in a situation where the decision will be taken out of their hands by NPHET, then they will play politics by saying they done all they could to keep the schools open, we believe they should open but NPHET forcing us etc etc

So they will argue it wasn’t their choice to close the schools, blame NPHET etc, we done our best.

When in reality the ordinary people around the country deserve better than that, they deserve better than delaying this to just play politics.

HSE have said today cases of around 7k for the next few days, schools can’t possibly open, even the dogs on the street know that.

People need to make plans, businesses need to make plan, this puts a lot of people out and delaying makes it worse, shame on those playing politics with it, make a decision and stop waiting for that decision to be made for you.

km79 wrote: »
    That’s what I think
    End of January
    But maybe only for exam classes until the mid term .........
    I can’t see mocks going ahead

I'm primary based but I do feel for this years 6th years. My sister in law is doing hers and is under a lot of stress.

Side note Josepha Madigan on Radio 1 and had said that the decision has been made and schools will reopen next Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Madigan on the radio now spouting her rubbish that schools will be open next Monday and that that won't be changing.

Also saying that teachers and SNAs have priority for the vaccine. 11th place on the list isn't priority no matter what way you dice it up.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I really feel for the school staff. Throughout all this, in my job, we have been kept in the loop at every stage since March. Sometimes there hasn’t been anything happening and our bosses are as much in the dark as anyone but we’ve felt excluded or ignored. I still have to work but I feel as much as possible is being done to keep us safe and anxiety at a minimum. School staff seem completely in the dark as to what’s going on. Safety seems to be way down on the list of priorities. Where are your unions? Why aren’t they fighting this?

I see this morning that the UK's Unions have united and told Boris to go stuff his 'schools are safe' nonsense and defied his order to open today. Unions there are saying school staff should be off until they are vaccinated.
    Because people in this country have proven they have short memories. The longer it's left to make the call the more people won't see it for what it is. A massive row back that was always on the cards despite being told it wasn't.

Then the rose tinted glasses come on in a couple of years time (it's a human condition when looking at the past) and people will say what a great job Varadkar and Harris did and subsequently MM and Donnelly. Foley may be the exception here as she is proving to be quite useless but don't be surprised if she gets back in too. After all, she's done a great job so far keeping the schools COVID free. It's only spreading in the community :rolleyes:

You have a point, but wait until we have several weeks of remote learning behind us. The lack of a cohesive, national remote learning plan with funding and IT supports in place will wear thin pretty quickly and impact school families massively. A plan/provision for special needs children and those at high risk have been left high and dry. I doubt we will be so quick to forgive or forget.

Madigan on the radio now spouting her rubbish that schools will be open next Monday and that that won't be changing.

Also saying that teachers and SNAs have priority for the vaccine. 11th place on the list isn't priority no matter what way you dice it up.

I actually can't stand that woman. She is back saying "the supports are". Why can't they just admit that schools are fairly okay once the virus levels are low in the community and now the levels are extremely high so we will have to look into it. Just be honest with people.

I actually can't stand that woman. She is back saying "the supports are". Why can't they just admit that schools are fairly okay once the virus levels are low in the community and now the levels are extremely high so we will have to look into it. Just be honest with people.

She is repeatedly not answering the questions she is asked.

Shes also claiming that the department have issued information TODAY saying schools are safe.

She is repeatedly not answering the questions she is asked.

Usual way she conducts interviews.

I'm still trying to figure out how her background led to an appointment of Minister of State for Special Education and Inclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Well that was dreadful
    Been a catastrophe time for this government

C__MC wrote: »
    Well that was dreadful
    Been a catastrophe time for this government

I loved how she refused to give a date when pushed by P.B.H!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Josepha Madigan is a person that was wearing a visor well after it was proven they are useless. She is away with the fairies. I wouldn't take notice of what she says.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So many ministers at this stage have been sent out into public to declare that schoosl will reopen on the 11th, Martin might face a revolt, even government collapse, if he was to make them look foolish and revise the date at this stage.

So long as NPHET don't change their advice, I don't see the Government doing so either. At a push he might open dialogue with the unions and commit to reopening on the 18th, but aside from a few noisy sectors, there is no appetite for closing schools for another 6 weeks, not from NPHET or the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I still really can't get my head around the lack of Planning by the DES and the Government. To expect Schools to just stay open as normal for everyone. Even just to have a coherent Plan and hope not to need to use it.

FFS, just seeing this for the first time. :eek: There's only so much shíte you can take!

Fears are also mounting that Covid vaccines could be ineffective against the South African mutation. Mr Hancock said today he was 'incredibly worried' about the strain, which has already been spotted in Britain and is claimed to be even more infectious than the Kent variant that is spreading rapidly across the UK.

Mr Hancock told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: 'I'm incredibly worried about the South African variant and that's why we took the action that we did to restrict all flights from South Africa and movement from South Africa and in fact to insist that anybody who'd been to South Africa to isolate.

'This is a very, very significant problem, in fact I spoke to my South African opposite number over Christmas and one of the reasons they know they have a problem is because, like us, they have an excellent genomic-scientific [programme] to be able to study the details of the virus and it is even more of a problem than the UK new variant.'

Sir John Bell, one of the Government's coronavirus advisers, yesterday warned there was a 'big question mark' over whether any of the jabs could protect against the mutation. There is no evidence the South African variant is more deadly or causes more severe illness than regular Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How many parents here will send their children to school if they open on the 11th?

How many parents here will send their children to school if they open on the 11th?

I will. As have no alternative childcare. I will be going so my children will have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We won't be sending ours in. 1 Primary, 1 Secondary (non-Exam Year).

We are lucky that I am a SAHM and Husband is WFH since last March so we are in a position to be able to do it. Also, both Kids are independent students and (mostly) willing to work.

• Advertisement

Shes also claiming that the department have issued information TODAY saying schools are safe.

Loved O'Riordan muttering in the background that it isn't true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement