Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Decision on Wednesday then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

frank8211 wrote: »
    Theyre not there all day with 30 people different houses though. Nothing could be more guaranteed to be unsafe than that

If they're out in shopping centres they are.

Which is why I was making the point that keeping them home will only work if everything is closed and they actually stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Sorry about all the misfires, this is the actual audio of Josepha this morning saying the schools weren't closed, the holidays had just been extended.

All I can say to that is read the room like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

She's also on about her worries about Mary Lou/Sinn Fein being in power, read the room is right-not the time to be playing politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Sorry Charlie. Schools will reopen after the February midterm. FACT!!!!

This game is easy

There will be an announcement after the Cabinet meets on Wednesday. You don't have to be Mystic Meg to see what's coming.

I agree - my best bet is Monday 22 February is when they will re-open.

Construction should be shut down immediately too IMO.

At least we know it's the last time they'll be closed and we will be well on the road to recovery by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Stateofyou wrote: »
    She's also on about her worries about Mary Lou/Sinn Fein being in power, read the room is right-not the time to be playing politics.

Think that’s called deflection

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

vid36 wrote: »
    Decision on Wednesday then.
    The decision might be to defer to NPHET who meet on Thursday ( though I'd imagine their meeting might be brought forward)
    Gives political cover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Whatever they do can they just give us some bloody warning and time this time. If the HSE are cancelling all outpatients again they should be telling schools now to assume they’ll be online and to get organised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Whatever they do can they just give us some bloody warning and time this time. If the HSE are cancelling all outpatients again they should be telling schools now to assume they’ll be online and to get organised

It's pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Really don't see them doing a blanket closure of schools. They'll try to be really clever with some half baked hybrid idea which suits no-one and leaves both schools and families tearing their hair out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I am very much of the Keep schools open stance. Well I have been. But I now feel its safer to keep my kids home and make a decision on a week by week basis. I have enough books jigsaws, boardgames and art to keep them going.
    My area is rampant. My kids haven't been outside since the schools closed for Xmas. My back garden and playing with siblings indoors. We didn't see any family over Xmas so why would I take this chance. Especially when the cases from the next week will be people who caught it at xmas and spread it on new years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Here is a teacher who has gathered maths resources for use in primary for anyone who is interested. She points out which year each resource suits

https://twitter.com/iamsorchab/status/1346046731771932673

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I really can't understand why Nicola Sturgeon has just announced for the safety of children in Scotland all schools will be closed unitl February, 1st.................why does Michael Martin think Irish schools are safer?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Norma's number 2 Josepha Madigan fighting with journalists on twitter is a very bad look for the government.

I really can't understand why Nicola Sturgeon has just announced for the safety of children in Scotland all schools will be closed unitl February, 1st.................why does Michael Martin think Irish schools are safer?

Lepreachauns, the luck of the Irish and a four leaf clover:D

It is strange, fair enough they say schools are safe for children. That was based on information from last Autumn, things have changed.

We are in our third wave, hospitals are very stressed especially in Munster apparently, trace and track is gone for the moment, school numbers were erroneous to say the least and we have a new strain of the virus to contend with.

Yet in an age where the public can access information on various social media that they insist on parroting Schools are safe over and over in a failed attempt to hypnotise us into submission.

Be honest close the schools and support your students and staff with proper resources. Dont **** up a second JC and LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Was reading in the other Thread there that half of the new cases identified there are the SE UK variant which spreads quicker so maybe that’s why? Since “only 10% here was that new variant”

In fairness the new variant could be worse and there’s a lot we don’t fully know about it yet so better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Schools don't appear to drive community transmission when rates are low. But that's not the same as saying schools don't contribute to cases, and judging by what Paul Reid of the HSE said this morning, our health system will soon have no more room for cases. Time to get real about what education is going to look like for the next month and give schools as much time as possible to prepare for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

TTLF wrote: »
    Was reading in the other Thread there that half of the new cases identified there are the SE UK variant which spreads quicker so maybe that’s why? Since “only 10% here was that new variant”

In fairness the new variant could be worse and there’s a lot we don’t fully know about it yet so better safe than sorry

considering we cant even count daily numbers correctly and have stopped testing close contacts as well as people with symptoms now, id be very unconfident in our ability to differentiate between the new strain and the old.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Boris is going on tv in England tonight at 8pm.I bet , he will close schools too.

vid36 wrote: »
    Boris is going on tv in England tonight at 8pm.I bet , he will close schools too.

I really hope we aren't waiting to see what he does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Weird to watch the whole thing play out in reverse this time. In March we were the first to shut schools while Boris faffed around trying to pretend the inevitable wasn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Its an evitability that schools will be closed in Ireland. Govt were just hoping that unions would play their hand first and save govt some flack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep + Scotland has about 2,500 cases + population of 5 million.

Meanwhile we have 5,000 cases and Paul Reid has admitted could be 6,000 over next few days but we are going to keep schools open.

I tell you some magic strain of Covid we have here that stops spreading at school gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Invetibale schools are shut
    Will teachers be permitted to attend their classroom and teach from there ?
    Are teams meetings going to be scheduled as per normal timetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

appledrop wrote: »

I tell you some magic strain of Covid we have here that stops spreading at school gates!

Why doesn't the whole population take refuge in schools since the government is telling us on a regular basis that schools are almost immune to it.:rolleyes: That way nobody will get covid. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Boris closing all schools in England from tomorrow. They went back for one day to mix and spread the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Why doesn't the whole population take refuge in schools since the government is telling us on a regular basis that schools are almost immune to it.:rolleyes: That way nobody will get covid. ;)

That's exactly what Waterford Whispers suggests! :)
    https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2021/01/04/nation-breaks-into-nearest-school-to-escape-covid-19/

I am surprised that the government have not moved out of the Convention Centre into a school, it would be much cheaper and they could invest the saved rent into improving IT for schools or even an online platform for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Big Boris is currently clearing his big throat in order for him to make big guttural sounds in his big announcement at 8 this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

Fair play that is after giving me a great laugh!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement