Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

nullzero wrote: »
    Teachers aren't the root of the problem by any means.
    But by the same token they should have some understanding of why parents are concerned about extended time off school for their children.

Teachers will be working long beyond this Covid crisis, our children only have one chance at receiving an education.

What ages are your kids?

Also many teachers are or have been parents so actually have a better idea of what is required when it comes to education.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Teachers aren't the root of the problem by any means.
    But by the same token they should have some understanding of why parents are concerned about extended time off school for their children.

Teachers will be working long beyond this Covid crisis, our children only have one chance at receiving an education.

A lot of teachers are parents. We are of course worried about educational outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Teachers understand that students won't be able for long runs without breaks. I'd imagine a lot of families are planning a relatively normal summer with meeting family and friends (assuming that's possible) and maybe going on holidays. That being said I'll teach during the summer if schools are closed with no online/blended learning.

If families are planning normal summers then there is something wrong with them. As for going on holidays, I won't even dignify that with a response.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

A lot of teachers are parents. We are of course worried about educational outcomes.

Does losing out on summer holidays mean more than educating children?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

If families are planning normal summers then there is something wrong with them. As for going on holidays, I won't even dignify that with a response.

I think there is every chance that families will be able to have at least as normal a summer as last year.

• Advertisement

Something wrong with trying to look forward to the future? Definitely something wrong when people want to create memories with their families.

°°°°°

What ages are your kids?

Also many teachers are or have been parents so actually have a better idea of what is required when it comes to education.

What business are my kids ages of yours?

Glazers Out!

Again, what ages are your children?

People need to have hope and people I have spoken to are all hoping to be able to meet people more this summer. Nothing wrong with being optimistic. Cases dropped a lot last summer and we've the vaccine being rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The first meeting you mentioned is tomorrow. They always meet before new measures/restrictions are announced.

fixed it thanks

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Something wrong with trying to look forward to the future? Definitely something wrong when people want to create memories with their families.

People were looking forward to going out on the p1ss in the lead up to Christmas and look where we are now.

Precious memories alright, of catching Covid needlessly.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

I'm worried about my kids education.

Teachers seem to be worried about their generous holiday allocation being tampered with for the sake of educating their pupils.

Going by your posts in here, I think you're much more concerned with throwing cheap shots at teachers than anything else.

No. But knowing children the vast majority will not be able for that time without a break. I already said I'd work it if not working online.

Want to work out what education you fear they are missing out on.

I have a kid in my class this year who for health reasons has missed out on approximately 2yrs of schooling so far. You wouldn't know it from them at all. Fully up to date with all their academics, good socially and we'll able.for the rough and tumble of both school and life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

You do realise not everyone had issues with the teaching their kids got when they were forced into home learning.

Are you more annoyed at the fact teachers may not be teaching in schools and will be at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I will happily work in the summer if we don’t have to go online. It was hell in fecking earth trying to do it while minding my own child and toddler at home. My husbands job wasn’t secure so the childminding was on me. And if I didn’t do the teaching and took parental leave there’d have been no qualified sub to even attempt to teach them (there’s none to be had around me) and the guilt would have been crippling for leaving them all and my exam classes in the lurch

The first day of lockdown I was desperately trying to get stuff up onto google classroom for students while the toddler climbed onto the kitchen chair for the first time. I’m never forget it. Sleep deprived, recording late into the night, work hours basically all day long, back up the stairs once the kids finally in bed, daily staff meetings in the garden on my hearing aid while watching the kids and trying to tire them out so I could work, emailing and replying to students all day on my phone..... genuinely I break out in a cold sweat. Thankfully he’s 9 months older now and a little easier minded but he was at the absolute worst age for it. We also have a childminder not creche this time around so currently she is happy to bubble with us if school closes so I can teach properly. It’s the only reason I’m not completely panicking to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The difference between Christmas and next August is that several million people will be vaccinated.

°°°°°

No. But knowing children the vast majority will not be able for that time without a break. I already said I'd work it if not working online.

They'll be getting a break now.

When the school opened again in September last all the kids in my eldest's class were delighted to be back. They had a break, a bloody long one and they missed each other more than anything.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Want to work out what education you fear they are missing out on.

I have a kid in my class this year who for health reasons has missed out on approximately 2yrs of schooling so far. You wouldn't know it from them at all. Fully up to date with all their academics, good socially and we'll able.for the rough and tumble of both school and life.

I have a child in my 3rd-year class that refused to go to school the majority of time from 4th - 6th class and missed out on a huge amount. They are doing well in secondary school and in higher-level maths.

When the school opened again in September last all the kids in my eldest's class were delighted to be back. They had a break, a bloody long one and they missed each other more than anything.

Sounds that maybe you were perhaps happy to be able to send them back to school for reasons that perhaps weren't entirely educational?

• Advertisement

I meant for example working from Feb through to June without midterms.

°°°°°

JP100 wrote: »
    Going by your posts in here, I think you're much more concerned with throwing cheap shots at teachers than anything else.

Playing to the gallery?

The blame lies with the department of education. Teachers aren't the problem. Although they seem mighty miffed at the prospect of missing out on their precious summer holidays.

I worked my ass off last year, up to the wee small hours regularly and didn't get to take my leave in any way that suited me and had a heap of days left at the end of the year that I couldn't carry over.
    I'm not the only person I know who did that and you can imagine our opinions of teachers being upset about losing out on holidays.

Glazers Out!

Playing to the gallery?

The blame lies with the department of education. Teachers aren't the problem. Although they seem mighty miffed at the prospect of missing out on the prospect of missing out on their precious summer holidays.

I worked my ass off last year, up to the wee small hours regularly and didn't get to take my leave in any way that suited me and had a heap of days left at the end of the year that I couldn't carry over.
    I'm not the only person I know who did that and you can imagine our opinions of teachers being upset about losing out on holidays.

Who is upset at loosing holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm worried about my kids education.

Teachers seem to be worried about their generous holiday allocation being tampered with for the sake of educating their pupils.

Hi there. Do you mind showing me the post where this was said please? I must have missed it, I have been away from the thread the last couple of hours. I will look through the thread too, but if you have it to hand might be quicker.

Or was this something that was said elsewhere and if so, do you have a link to the comment?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

It was a sincere question, no need for all the aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Playing to the gallery?

The blame lies with the department of education. Teachers aren't the problem. Although they seem mighty miffed at the prospect of missing out on the prospect of missing out on their precious summer holidays.

Yeah you are right, you are not the only person who worked their arse off. Teachers did too online, it harder and takes longer to prep correct.

°°°°°

I meant for example working from Feb through to June without midterms.

I never said that. Breaks are required, but the time lost should be made up.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Playing to the gallery?

The blame lies with the department of education. Teachers aren't the problem. Although they seem mighty miffed at the prospect of missing out on their precious summer holidays.

You seem a little upset at losing out on your holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Playing to the gallery?

I am a teacher and would happily trade June/July for Jan/Feb if that means schools will be safer.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

You seem a little upset at losing out on your holidays.

Not really to be honest, it's just a reality I and many others have had to deal with.

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement