Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

nullzero wrote: »
    I never said that. Breaks are required, but the time lost should be made up.

Oh i took you up wrong so, I thought that you meant working through the breaks. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Playing to the gallery?

The blame lies with the department of education. Teachers aren't the problem. Although they seem mighty miffed at the prospect of missing out on their precious summer holidays.

I worked my ass off last year, up to the wee small hours regularly and didn't get to take my leave in any way that suited me and had a heap of days left at the end of the year that I couldn't carry over.
    I'm not the only person I know who did that and you can imagine our opinions of teachers being upset about losing out on holidays.

So because you lost out on holidays your miffed that others such as teachers didn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

khalessi wrote: »
    Yeah you are right, you are not the only person who worked their arse off. Teachers did too online, it harder and takes longer to prep correct.

Then cross off the time now allocate it as holiday time and bring the kids into school later in the year (during the traditional summer holidays) and make it up then with the caveat of some midterm type breaks added into the equation.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

the kelt wrote: »
    So because you lost out on holidays your miffed that others such as teachers didn’t?

I already said that isn't the case.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Oh i took you up wrong so, I thought that you meant working through the breaks. Apologies.

I don't think that would be fair to students or teachers.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You appear to be enjoying your day off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Grand so. No need to organise collection of the books from my room so seeing as we won't be doing online teaching and learning.

You wouldn’t have had to organize anything if you had sent the books home before Christmas like the principal had requested though.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Boris is going to shut schools for 6 weeks according to the UK media.

°°°°°

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi there. Do you mind showing me the post where this was said please? I must have missed it, I have been away from the thread the last couple of hours. I will look through the thread too, but if you have it to hand might be quicker.

Or was this something that was said elsewhere and if so, do you have a link to the comment?

Thanks

You've answered your own question there. Read the thread.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Are you here for a discussion or to be ignorant?

• Advertisement

Where was it said?

But you keep referencing teachers and their precious holidays and their generous holidays and then saying you missed out on holidays and “you can guess what you and your friends attitude is to teachers missing out on holidays”

I think you have an issue with teachers really and their holidays really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

I will happily work in the summer if we don’t have to go online. It was hell in fecking earth trying to do it while minding my own child and toddler at home. My husbands job wasn’t secure so the childminding was on me. And if I didn’t do the teaching and took parental leave there’d have been no qualified sub to even attempt to teach them (there’s none to be had around me) and the guilt would have been crippling for leaving them all and my exam classes in the lurch

The first day of lockdown I was desperately trying to get stuff up onto google classroom for students while the toddler climbed onto the kitchen chair for the first time. I’m never forget it. Sleep deprived, recording late into the night, work hours basically all day long, back up the stairs once the kids finally in bed, daily staff meetings in the garden on my hearing aid while watching the kids and trying to tire them out so I could work, emailing and replying to students all day on my phone..... genuinely I break out in a cold sweat. Thankfully he’s 9 months older now and a little easier minded but he was at the absolute worst age for it. We also have a childminder not creche this time around so currently she is happy to bubble with us if school closes so I can teach properly. It’s the only reason I’m not completely panicking to be honest

Mirrorwall I remember from the last lockdown that you were someone that worked really hard and understood the challenges facing parents. Your post summarises how hard it is ( for teachers and other working parents) to do our jobs, childmind and teach our children all at the same time. Im not a teacher - I am an accountant but I faced the exact same struggles with my kids while also working. The DES need to come up with a plan that its workable for all. It doesnt need to be a complicated online learning approach for all. Some teaching, use of textbooks etc, reduced hours, deal with important subjects only etc. We all know this isnt going to happen. January is depressing enough without having this struggle ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Then cross off the time now allocate it as holiday time and bring the kids into school later in the year (during the traditional summer holidays) and make it up then with the caveat of some midterm type breaks added into the equation.

What about students in 6th yr who want to do their LC and go to 3rd level in sept? or those who just want to start their life after education why prolong their agony. I would have hated the thought of spending june and july in school as a teenager. Feck that. I have booked holidays for end june for me and the family based on the dates given to me by our school at the start of year. ill b fecked if im canceling another summer holdiay and have to spend it in this overpriced kip.

°°°°°

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Are you here for a discussion or to be ignorant?

I'm talking about the last 5 or 6 pages. It isn't a big deal to read that. No need to be so testy.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Playing to the gallery?

The blame lies with the department of education. Teachers aren't the problem. Although they seem mighty miffed at the prospect of missing out on their precious summer holidays.

I worked my ass off last year, up to the wee small hours regularly and didn't get to take my leave in any way that suited me and had a heap of days left at the end of the year that I couldn't carry over.
    I'm not the only person I know who did that and you can imagine our opinions of teachers being upset about losing out on holidays.

Ahh so now we get to the real nub of your issue. It isn't anything to do with your children's education, it's because your employer wouldn't allow you to carry your holidays over. Maybe before you signed your contract you should have asked for a clause that allowed maybe 5 days to be carried over. I know when I worked in the private sector that I always asked for that clause and never was it not allowed. Sure there may have been rules that carried over days had to be used before a certain date. Your holidays are nothing to do with teachers.

°°°°°

What about students in 6th yr who want to do their LC and go to 3rd level in sept? or those who just want to start their life after education why prolong their agony. I would have hated the thought of spending june and july in school as a teenager. Feck that. I have booked holidays for end june for me and the family based on the dates given to me by our school at the start of year. ill b fecked if im canceling another summer holdiay and have to spend it in this overpriced kip.

So you have your summer holidays booked? I applaud your optimism.

As for leaving cert students, special provisions would need to be made for them but they do not make up the majority of school children.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Ahh so now we get to the real nub of your issue. It isn't anything to do with your children's education, it's because your employer wouldn't allow you to carry your holidays over. Maybe before you signed your contract you should have asked for a clause that allowed maybe 5 days to be carried over. I know when I worked in the private sector that I always asked for that clause and never was it not allowed. Sure there may have been rules that carried over days had to be used before a certain date. Your holidays are nothing to do with teachers.

I've already addressed that issue.

Not carrying holidays over isn't that big a deal to me, I merely raised the issue to highlight the difference between teachers and private sector workers.

But nice try at trying to make me look petty.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

the kelt wrote: »
    But you keep referencing teachers and their precious holidays and their generous holidays and then saying you missed out on holidays and “you can guess what you and your friends attitude is to teachers missing out on holidays”

I think you have an issue with teachers really and their holidays really.

No issue with holidays in relation to myself or teachers.

My suggestion was that if schools were to be kept closed it may be a better idea to allocate teachers holidays during that time and have some form of school time during the summer to make up the deficit.

Kids get their education, teachers get their holidays and they don't have to faff around with remote learning nonsense.

Somehow that means I'm attacking teachers.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

There is so much tension on this thread. It's awful that we are back in this position once again. Speaking as a teacher, I would far prefer to be in school than doing the online stuff as it's hard for everyone involved. The daily routine of being back to school really helped me during the last lockdown and I was nervous about being at school but still grateful to be there. Now, I am scared. Covid is rife in my area. The numbers testing positive are staggering. Contacts are no longer being tested. People are stressed and tense because we are in a sh*t situation. I can only speak for myself as a teacher in saying that I would love nothing more to be back in school on Wednesday like normal. But these are not normal times. Nobody wants this, it's just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

My suggestion was that if schools were to be kept closed it may be a better idea to allocate teachers holidays during that time and have some form of school time during the summer to make up the deficit.

Kids get their education, teachers get their holidays and they don't have to faff around with remote learning nonsense.

Have you thought in this scenario your approach is a bit aggressive, I mean its you not us. You came on this thread all guns firing and now getting defensive when it was pointed out.

Yep sounds like you’ve no issues with you missing out on holidays and teachers don’t referencing the words “precious teachers holidays” etc shows that alright along with

“I worked my ass off last year, up to the wee small hours regularly and didn't get to take my leave in any way that suited me and had a heap of days left at the end of the year that I couldn't carry over.
    I'm not the only person I know who did that and you can imagine our opinions of teachers being upset about losing out on holidays.”

That’s reads like no issues at all!

I mean you obviously do have an issue with teachers holidays, may as well be open about, I’m not even a teacher so doesn’t bother me, lost days myself in the private sector I couldn’t carry, such is life.

I've already addressed that issue.

Not carrying holidays over isn't that big a deal to me, I merely raised the issue to highlight the difference between teachers and private sector workers.

But nice try at trying to make me look petty.

But dear poster you were the person who brought up your holidays. You clearly have a big issue when it comes to our holidays. Jealousy?
    You do know there are options for mature students to do back and retrain if so inclined. If not then leave our holidays out of your issues.

So you have your summer holidays booked? I applaud your optimism.

As for leaving cert students, special provisions would need to be made for them but they do not make up the majority of school children.
    At least we now know your children are not of Leaving Cert age.

Have you thought in this scenario your approach is a bit aggressive, I mean its you not us. You came on this thread all guns firing and now getting defensive when it was pointed out.

Hater hates when they can't hate all they want.

°°°°°

I've defended myself when people have said I'm upset about losing out on annual leave last year.

Otherwise I've made a suggestion of how I think things could be worked in the face of extended school closures.

This thread is open to everyone, not only teachers. I haven't broken any site rules whilst here. If you have an issue with my posts report them.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Nice work detective.

Glazers Out!

Nice work detective.

Not really, you are totally transparent.

No need to include them in their deliberations with regards to teachers holidays except for the fact that teachers invigilate said exams and also correct them.

• Advertisement

I've defended myself when people have said I'm upset about losing out on annual leave last year.

Otherwise I've made a suggestion of how I think things could be worked in the face of extended school closures.

This thread is open to everyone, not only teachers. I haven't broken any site rules whilst here. If you have an issue with my posts report them.

You seem to be arguing against nothing though? You argue teachers won't agree to make up lost time if schools closed, then when we say we are willing to, you just stay repeating yourself. What's the point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement