Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

But dear poster you were the person who brought up your holidays. You clearly have a big issue when it comes to our holidays. Jealousy?
    You do know there are options for mature students to do back and retrain if so inclined. If not then leave our holidays out of your issues.

It's relevant to this type of discussion.

If you want to appropriate what I'm saying as jealousy relating to teachers holidays fire ahead. I've already stated that isn't the case but don't let that get in the way of you attempting to use it as a stick to beat me with.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Where was it said?

It wasn't.

Not only was it not said, but the opposite was said. In your own case, you even told him/her twice:
    I'll teach during the summer if schools are closed with no online/blended learning.
    I already said I'd work it if not working online.
    I will happily work in the summer if we don’t have to go online.

In fact, the only mention of teachers not being willing to work the summer months came from themselves and themselves only.
    nullzero wrote: »
    shortened summer holidays are something that should be on the cards, even if teachers noses are put out of joint by it.
    I'm worried about my kids education.

Teachers seem to be worried about their generous holiday allocation being tampered with for the sake of educating their pupils.

°°°°°

You seem to be arguing against nothing though? You argue teachers won't agree to make up lost time if schools closed, then when we say we are willing to, you just stay repeating yourself. What's the point?

I've said that teachers should be given time off during any closures that should be made up later when it is safe to do so.

Not sure what you're talking about.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

khalessi wrote: »

If schools closures in any form occur, then her resignation from the ministry really needs to be called for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Seems to be a mess. Irish Independent article indicating that plans are being drawn up to keep some schools open for frontline workers and children with disabilities.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/ministers-no-longer-expect-schools-to-fully-reopen-on-january-11-39930326.html

It's relevant to this type of discussion.

If you want to appropriate what I'm saying as jealousy relating to teachers holidays fire ahead. I've already stated that isn't the case but don't let that get in the way of you attempting to use it as a stick to beat me with.

Ohh trust me your own posts are enough stick.

°°°°°

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    It wasn't.

Not only was it not said, but the opposite was said. In your own case, you even told him/her twice:

In fact, the only mention of teachers not being willing to work the summer months came from themselves and themselves only.

An honest appraisal would show several posters mentioning summer holidays and other related issues.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Ohh trust me your own posts are enough stick.

If you say so.

Like I said, if you're not happy with my posts report them, you're getting into back seat modding territory now.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

An honest appraisal would show several posters mentioning summer holidays and other related issues.

You've beenasked several times to back up your claims but won't. Why?

• Advertisement

If you say so.

Like I said, if you're not happy with my posts report them, you're getting into back seat modding territory now.

Says you who doesn't realise what they are typing. You really must have had a bad day.

°°°°°

You've beenasked several times to back up your claims but won't. Why?

Read the thread.

The issue of summer holidays and "Normal summers" was raised.

It's not up to me to link everything for you.

Glazers Out!

I've said that teachers should be given time off during any closures that should be made up later when it is safe to do so.

Not sure what you're talking about.

You said

" Teachers seem to be worried about their generous holiday allocation being tampered with for the sake of educating their pupils "

Several teachers have refuted this and asked for proof of your claim. Why won't you provide it?

°°°°°

Says you who doesn't realise what they are typing. You really must have had a bad day.

Not at all.

Although I think you and I have nothing to gain from conversing with each other any further.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Prepare for online delivery for two or three weeks.
    As the kites flying in the article in the info suggests, government will have no choice in the matter.

Read the thread.

The issue of summer holidays and "Normal summers" was raised.

It's not up to me to link everything for you.

I raised normal summers but not in relation to refusing to work. Why won't you back your argument up? It is a basic debating and discussion convention.

Not at all.

Although I think you and I have nothing to gain from conversing with each other any further.

Now who is backseat modding?

You can come in here with all guns blazing and some rubbish about your holidays but when asked for evidence of what you state as fact you can't/won't provide it.

°°°°°

Teachers understand that students won't be able for long runs without breaks. I'd imagine a lot of families are planning a relatively normal summer with meeting family and friends (assuming that's possible) and maybe going on holidays. That being said I'll teach during the summer if schools are closed with no online/blended learning.

You made this post yourself talking about "Normal summers" and holidays.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

I raised normal summers but not in relation to refusing to work. Why won't you back your argument up? It is a basic debating and discussion convention.

In that spirit, would you take your holidays now and work in the summer months instead?

Glazers Out!

You made this post yourself talking about "Normal summers" and holidays.

And if you read what you quoted you'll see i said I'd work. I was just pointing out a potential issue. You know, discussing the topic.

• Advertisement

In that spirit, would you take your holidays now and work in the summer months instead?

For the third time. Yes

For the third time. Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

kippy wrote: »
    Prepare for online delivery for two or three weeks.
    As the kites flying in the article in the info suggests, government will have no choice in the matter.

Out my window Im watching hoardes of children from different families play closely together on their chirstmas toys with not an interruption or intervention from their families or parents all day. Social isolation my aras. Why should teachers put their lives and health at risk for deadbeat parents who don’t give a toss beyond their own convenience. Lock the schools and let ls start a system of reporting and fining the parents who refuse to comply. We’ll soon have the numbers under control again if people behaved. I’m not usually very sympathetic towards teachers but what is happening is riduculous - their lives and health have to matter too.

°°°°°

Now who is backseat modding?

You can come in here with all guns blazing and some rubbish about your holidays but when asked for evidence of what you state as fact you can't/won't provide it.

I've done nothing of the sort.

I've explained that I have no issue with my holiday situation which you refused to believe and you keep telling me as much. What have I to gain from talking to you? That isn't back seat modding, it's being polite and attempting to end a conversation that isn't going anywhere.

Glazers Out!

I've done nothing of the sort.

I've explained that I have no issue with my holiday situation which you refused to believe and you keep telling me as much. What have I to gain from talking to you? That isn't back seat modding, it's being polite and attempting to end a conversation that isn't going anywhere.

Why did you bring up your holidays so and your inability to carry them over? What relevance have they in a Covid and schools thread? Also dragged your colleagues into it as well.

°°°°°

For the third time. Yes

Wonderful, so we're in agreement.

I received a lot of backlash in the beginning and I could have appropriated some posts incorrectly in relation to teachers holidays. If that is the case I humbly apologise, the thread has been moving quickly.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

vid36 wrote: »
    Seems to be a mess. Irish Independent article indicating that plans are being drawn up to keep some schools open for frontline workers and children with disabilities.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/ministers-no-longer-expect-schools-to-fully-reopen-on-january-11-39930326.html

A mess is right, frontline and essential worlers comsist of just about anything these days so id read that as school as normal

°°°°°

Why did you bring up your holidays so and your inability to carry them over? What relevance have they in a Covid and schools thread? Also dragged your colleagues into it as well.

It appeared that several posters weren't happy about the idea of losing the summer break.

I didn't "drag" my colleagues into anything.

As we're here, would you take your holidays now, forgo the remote learning stuff and work the summer holidays instead?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

From a SAGE scientist:

Children aged 12-16 'seven times more likely to spread Covid' warns expert

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/children-aged-12-16-seven-23256804

• Advertisement

It appeared that several posters weren't happy about the idea of losing the summer break.

I didn't "drag" my colleagues into anything.

As we're here, would you take your holidays now, forgo the remote learning stuff and work the summer holidays instead?

Not being happy about something isn't a refusal to do it though. You still haven't shown someone who refused?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement