Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Few deep breaths everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

jadie wrote: »
    And third level which is open but not being mentioned.

Third level never went back, all online more or less since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Queried wrote: »
    This is a big source of frustration for a lot of teachers. Many have been crying out for months for some sort if standardised remote learning plan should the need for one arise. Alas, pleas fell on deaf ears. Probably why the department is so reluctant to close the schools to be honest. My school has been working with the platform 'Seesaw' for the past few months and during the school closures for the past academic year. I find it quite good I must say. Unless the department decides to share some sort of plan with us over the coming days, it would be down to individual school management to decide which route to take I would imagine.

Yeah it’s pure crazy.
    A lot of the remote learning will be hit and miss and judging by last time I’m not looking forward to it.
    I would pay for a daily timetable based on the primary curriculum so that I know what I’m supposed to be teaching them and how long for if ya get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Feeling very stressed tonight. Don't know why really as relatively speaking we are lucky.

We have taken the decision not to send the Kids back next Monday even if they do open the Schools. Have explained it to both Kids who are both fine with it. Going to turn the Dining Room into a "School Room".

Lucky that I didn't go back to work in 2020 which was the plan. Lucky that my Husband can WFH and has been since March. Lucky that we can manage (I think) the "homeschooling" if necessary between us.

But I just can't shake this edgy feeling at all this evening.

It's understandable that you're feeling on edge, I am too. It sounds like you have a good setup going and it's great that your kids are fine with it, I'm sure that will make things easier. The unknown is scary but every day can be dealt with as it comes. You're doing everything you can to keep your family safe so keep that in mind and be good to yourself, these are crap times but it won't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Greensoup wrote: »
    A lot of secondary students leave books/exam papers etc at school over the Christmas holidays.....makes everything even more awkward.

Not if the school was properly prepared, we have no lockers this year, all digital resources in the classroom bar a copy and pencil case in class. All other materials remain at home including text and workbooks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yeah it’s pure crazy.
    A lot of the remote learning will be hit and miss and judging by last time I’m not looking forward to it.
    I would pay for a daily timetable based on the primary curriculum so that I know what I’m supposed to be teaching them and how long for if ya get me.

I know that I've a senior class but last time I broke mine up into bite sized chunks. You can't replicate what happens at home so don't try. Lots of what occurs in school is spontaneous and organic learning driven by questions that the children ask based on what is being taught.

I refused point blank to send out weekly work. Mine up daily at around 7:30am with little titbts and puzzles going up throughout the day to help with problem solving. I was available whenever I was needed.

Any questions you shouldn't be afraid to ask the teacher for help, guidance and direction. That's what they are there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

The government is considering a proposal to close schools for the rest of January.

Govt considers closing schools for January
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0104/1187510-schools-covid-health/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I got comms from our secondary school today, with an 8 page plan on how they will approach the learning process if they go full remote learning from Monday. They say that teachers will be in from Wednesday to Friday getting everything ready, but it will essentially follow the existing timetable with two thirds of classes being live on video. Now there is an element of fees at this school, so I'd imagine they feel obliged to put a comprehensive plan in place, however I've nothing to benchmark that against.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Yeah it’s pure crazy.

My advice would be to see what communication you get from the school if schools do close before taking any action. If you had a bad experience with how the curriculum was delivered during the last lockdown I know that might be hard but teachers will do their very best. If you're still concerned feel free to PM me and I can direct you to some resources including recommended time allocations etc.

They wouldn't have been until Wednesday. You don't seem to be able to grasp that. Actually you didn't seem to be aware of that until you were told on here.

Good man.
    I’ve already said I should’ve realised they weren’t going back until Wednesday.
    You seem on edge? You ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, that's Dry January done with.

**bangs head off table **

All Eyes On Rafah

Queried wrote: »
    My advice would be to see what communication you get from the school if schools do close before taking any action. If you had a bad experience with how the curriculum was delivered during the last lockdown I know that might be hard but teachers will do their very best. If you're still concerned feel free to PM me and I can direct you to some resources including recommended time allocations etc.

Wow thanks I really appreciate that.
    I will let you know how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good man.
    I’ve already said I should’ve realised they weren’t going back until Wednesday.
    You seem on edge? You ok?

No, I'd say he is not, just like a lot of teachers and parents right now.

Do you remember last time?? It was hell. Absolutely mental. Trying to teach and raise kids, it was just a complete mess.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

How can we even think about reopening schools at the height of this crisis?

Ridiculous Decision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

delly wrote: »
    I got comms from our secondary school today, with an 8 page plan on how they will approach the learning process if they go full remote learning from Monday. They say that teachers will be in from Wednesday to Friday getting everything ready, but it will essentially follow the existing timetable with two thirds of classes being live on video. Now there is an element of fees at this school, so I'd imagine they feel obliged to put a comprehensive plan in place, however I've nothing to benchmark that against.

We are 1:1 iPads and the overwhelming feedback from four year groups surveyed about the lockdown was they can’t do it live. They wanted the ability to check in but video lesson and self paced work was the overwhelming majorities preference. When I asked my own classes it was because they were minding and teaching younger siblings, or their parents were working from home and needed the broadband connection or they had more responsibilities or bereavements. They wanted to be able to do the work when they could.

It was interesting to read considering all the clamour for live classes

No, I'd say he is not, just like a lot of teachers and parents right now.

Do you remember last time?? It was hell. Absolutely mental. Trying to teach and raise kids, it was just a complete mess.

Oh agreed. It was a fookin nightmare.
    It’ll be different this time as I’m telling my employer I can’t do both and I’ll just have to catch up on work in the afternoon or something.
    Wife will work during the morning or something.
    Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Live classes as lectures or self assigned work with prepared videos ?
    Ugh it's going to be a struggle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

C__MC wrote: »

There was a huge push for live classes in my school. However the kids preferred a self paced video that they could work through at their own schedule. Some doing it on timetable. Others doing it whenever they could

See this is where a central framework setting expectations for both parents and schools would solve all this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

There was a huge push for live classes in my school. However the kids preferred a self paced video that they could work through at their own schedule. Some doing it on timetable. Others doing it whenever they could

Yeah I mixed both methods up last spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I wonder if schools do close do you think it will just be January or will it also extend into February?

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I wonder if schools do close do you think it will just be January or will it also extend into February?

Something similar to Scotland. End of January and then reassess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Leaving cert kid here campaigning for calculated grades already.. uk have cancelled state summer exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Hard to tell depends on numbers over next few week but till end of Jan I would reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It will be numbers driven.
    I would hope that case numbers begin to go down from this time next week onwards but it could take a while. Once they are below 1000 and other key markers are acceptable I'd say they will re-open. I would be hoping/expecting that to happen before the end of the month but again, it is down to how well the restrictions work this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

C__MC wrote: »

live classes with plenty of breaks.. if they do the work they do .. if they dont they dont

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

We are 1:1 iPads and the overwhelming feedback from four year groups surveyed about the lockdown was they can’t do it live. They wanted the ability to check in but video lesson and self paced work was the overwhelming majorities preference. When I asked my own classes it was because they were minding and teaching younger siblings, or their parents were working from home and needed the broadband connection or they had more responsibilities or bereavements. They wanted to be able to do the work when they could.

It was interesting to read considering all the clamour for live classes

Same in our place. Prerecorded stuff with teacher available via email was the preference of the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

See this is where a central framework setting expectations for both parents and schools would solve all this nonsense.

Yep - exactly - the department had 9 months to do something on this. Anything would be better than the current framework........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It will, in all probability, be a dragged out affair. We will be drip fed information, with dates set for reopening that we all know will be unrealistic. We will continue to be assured that schools are safe places and Norma will be nowhere to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

kippy wrote: »
    It will be numbers driven.
    I would hope that case numbers begin to go down from this time next week onwards but it could take a while. Once they are below 1000 and other key markers are acceptable I'd say they will re-open. I would be hoping/expecting that to happen before the end of the month but again, it is down to how well the restrictions work this time.

exactly uk looks liking closing their schools till mid feb with summer exams scrapped also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement