Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Why not?

Wud require some forward thinking and organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

See this is where a central framework setting expectations for both parents and schools would solve all this nonsense.

Is it not better for teachers (also students and parents imo) that there is alot of flexibility allowed rather than the dept setting down the law on the way it should be done. I'm just picturing a teacher supposed to be following a timetable with her students but with her/his own small children also working to a set timetable and who need constant supervision. Same for all WFH parents. Every family situation is so different, rigid expectations would seem to me to cause more stress, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Really starting to wonder what the hell I am going to do with Transition Years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Is it not better for teachers (also students and parents imo) that there is alot of flexibility allowed rather than the dept setting down the law on the way it should be done. I'm just picturing a teacher supposed to be following a timetable with her students but with her/his own small children also working to a set timetable and who need constant supervision. Same for all WFH parents. Every family situation is so different, rigid expectations would seem to me to cause more stress, no ?

Without official guidance every single parent, student and teacher will have their own ideas as to what is required. Literally no one will be happy. Some parents will want their primary kids online all day long. Others will want one email a week and the teacher to piss off because they are absolutely stressed out of their mind with their own household situation. Everyone will bitch. Everyone will moan. And the teachers will once again bear the brunt of it no matter how hard the majority work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Really starting to wonder what the hell I am going to do with Transition Years :eek:

I had two ty groups last year. What did u have them for? If any of my stuff is of help I'll happily send on to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I cant see them opening before the end of Jan. I think at that stage if numbers are better and community transmission is more under control they will go back for Feb.

The closing of schools has had a knock on effect. Pre schools have closed now as have some creches. Leaving school aged kids at home while parents work is one thing, leaving toddlers and babies is quiet the other. Just from reading on line the consensus from others who work with kids is that if its not safe for teachers to be back then its not safe for them to be back.

It would make more sense imo anyway to just shut up shop now till the end of Jan. At least to have that consistency for staff and students that from the 11th its all on line. With the hope that we will see numbers fall and continue to fall for the remainder of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Depends on subject
    Teach them a bit of content and assign a project to undertake, tell them their is marks going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Mrsmum wrote: »

I'm not saying that the govt sets a timetable that states that for example every 1st class in the country does maths at 9:20.
    What I mean is a framework that sets our realistic expectations for parents and schools and cuts out this nonsense of some teachers/schools doing live lessons, others doing recorded stuff. Parents from both sides giving out that they aren't doing the other.

Without official guidance every single parent, student and teacher will have their own ideas as to what is required. Literally no one will be happy. Some parents will want their primary kids online all day long. Others will want one email a week and the teacher to piss off because they are absolutely stressed out of their mind with their own household situation. Everyone will bitch. Everyone will moan. And the teachers will once again bear the brunt of it no matter how hard the majority work

This multiplied by a thousand. No one happy, everyone stressed and nothing being done properly. They'll drag the exams situation out as well which will magnify things for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Exams cancelled in England.

Source?

• Advertisement

I had two ty groups last year. What did u have them for? If any of my stuff is of help I'll happily send on to you.

You are so good to offer. I've them for English and Language. I'm okay with language because sure I've so much 3rd year stuff that they never got round to, but I feel a little more stuck with English for some reason.

The plan for Jan was a film study (we had read the novel and we were going to watch the film and do a little bit on camera angles) but I don't really see how that will go down, watching a film online together!!

Then after that I had an excellent documentary with a worksheet planned but again, how do I assign that as online work. Seems lazy.

Had planned to eventually do some poetry but I will lose them if I start with that, for sure!

Wombatman wrote: »
    Source?

Boris.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Anyone know how they're approaching remote learning in the UK?

You are so good to offer. I've them for English and Language. I'm okay with language because sure I've so much 3rd year stuff that they never got round to, but I feel a little more stuck with English for some reason.

The plan for Jan was a film study (we had read the novel and we were going to watch the film and do a little bit on camera angles) but I don't really see how that will go down, watching a film online together!!

Then after that I had an excellent documentary with a worksheet planned but again, how do I assign that as online work. Seems lazy.

Had planned to eventually do some poetry but I will lose them if I start with that, for sure!

Oh i had them for English. I'll pm you some ideas in the next day or two of stuff i did that worked well (I'll leave out the stuff that bombed!)

Anyone know how they're approaching remote learning in the UK?

Well Boris mentioned in his speech about getting devices out to those that require them.

Oh i had them for English. I'll pm you some ideas in the next day or two of stuff i did that worked well (I'll leave out the stuff that bombed!)

Oh wow, you are so kind! Thank you! In exchange I will send you some stuff back, have a rake of stuff so will chat more via PM and see what you are doing and what will help you

Make them do Haiku poems! My work made a rule for a while that if you're going to reply all, it had to be in Haiku format. That was fun :pac:

Well Boris mentioned in his speech about getting devices out to those that require them.

Well that is certainly something. Something is more than we all get which is nothing.

Make them do Haiku poems! My work made a rule for a while that if you're going to reply all, it had to be in Haiku format. That was fun :pac:

This is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is there anything to be said for teachers getting vaccine straight away? then open schools february? is there anything to be said for another mass ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I wonder if schools do close do you think it will just be January or will it also extend into February?

Although their situation is demonstrably worse, I expect we will largely follow the UK and go with end of Jan at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

It's not just about teachers tho. It's about keeping a lid on community transmission in general (well lid is well and truly blow off but we need to get it back on again)
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    is there anything to be said for teachers getting vaccine straight away? then open schools february? is there anything to be said for another mass ?

Exams cancelled in England.
    Wombatman wrote: »
    Source?
    Boris.

I'm hearing this via a few different sources but has anyone found anything official? Did the words actually come out of Boris' mouth? Guardian, RTE, Indo and Irish Times not reporting, unless it is buried in an article somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm hearing this via a few different sources but has anyone found anything official? Did the words actually come out of Boris' mouth? Guardian, RTE, Indo and Irish Times not reporting, unless it is buried in an article somewhere

Its on the Irish Times front page and the UK independent and Guardian

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/covid-19-england-introduces-national-lockdown-until-mid-february-1.4450002?mode=amp

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-coronavirus-schools-b1782266.html

Another UK headline I saw just now-

"Schools have been to blame for three times more Covid outbreaks than hospitals since October, official data shows"

Said to my partner this morning when ministers were doing the usual media blitz on the radio stations stating schools were categorically reopening on Monday that they would be singing a different tune come evening, and the ones giving the interviews would know that so why bother with the pretence??? It's infuriating at this stage, nobody buys it and is an insult to peoples intelligence.

Lost count at this stage how many times they have done this over the last 6 months.

I've gone from being a mild , I stress mild critic of teachers to being out and out frustrated for them. I've experienced what was put in place for my eldest last time (she's 7) and it was unsatisfactory to say the least. No fault of the teachers I'll add but this time out with 9 months to prepare I'll be surprised if it's any better. God help any of yee teaching exam years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Another UK headline I saw just now-

"Schools have been to blame for three times more Covid outbreaks than hospitals since October, official data shows"

Saw this earlier on twitter was waiting for another source
    https://twitter.com/theAliceRoberts/status/1346175108419825665

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

that could actually in theory work. there's an app/software called Kast which allows people to watch films together, I use it regularly to watch films with my friends. I don't know how practical it would be for school purposes though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

khalessi wrote: »
    Saw this earlier on twitter was waiting for another source
    https://twitter.com/theAliceRoberts/status/1346175108419825665

Boris being wrong about something. Well I never.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement