Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Teachers are 11 on a list of 14 I think?

Just behind lorry drivers because being in a cab on your own is clearly more dangerous than working in the safest environment on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think they will have to give lots of choice in the questions but then you could have so much choice as to make the exam almost too easy.

There is more choice in both of my subjects (I can't speak for other subjects), I'm relatively happy with the adjustments made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Agreed re level playing field. Predicted grades will not fix that. Adjusting the exam papers will.

Totally agree on that but honestly I’ve no confidence in the department doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I think they will have to give lots of choice in the questions but then you could have so much choice as to make the exam almost too easy.

Or too hard, with indecisive students ending up wasting too much time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Tippex wrote: »
    Totally agree on that but honestly I’ve no confidence in the department doing that.

They have already made changes to the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

One of the best things you could do for her handwriting is work on her fine motor skills - loads of ideas for this online but basically it's strengthening hand muscles. Play dough, cutting and sticking, threading beads etc.

Buy some fancy stationery too and let her make cards to send to grandparents etc. Lots of reading and work with sight words/phonics is great as well.

You can access all curriculum documents online for free but it's not the most accessible thing to read.

I'd be following this advice and make everything fun and forget about seesaw + telling her she has to do her schoolwork. Cards are the way to go for her handwriting. Whoever it is she is closet to and can't see make the card + send it. Doesn't matter what she can write on it main thing is she is trying.

For maths again relate it to normal things your doing or games. For example my 4 year old loves kerpluck. Loads of maths in it as we both have to count numbers of balls that fall down for each of us and add them up.

I always find with that age group if they are disinterested the key is for them to not think they are doing 'school work' and you will get more out off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Teachers are 11 on a list of 14 I think?

11 out of 14 but probably still one of the highest groups outside of healthcare workers and the most at risk..

How many groups do people here think teachers should be moved ahead of?

There are only one group of people in Ireland with experience in introducing vaccines and vaccine programmes and that is public health. The order might change but they should be the ones to change it based on the evidence they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Josepha Madigan and Norma Foley today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Or too hard, with indecisive students ending up wasting too much time

Maybe. But alot of choice can make the mediocre to good student appear as good as the really good student, no ? And since they are all basically competing for points, that's a bit of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

11 out of 14 but probably still one of the highest groups outside of healthcare workers and the most at risk..

There are only one group of people in Ireland with experience in introducing vaccines and vaccine programmes and that is public health. The order might change but they should be the ones to change it based on the evidence they have.

The government keep telling people schools are essential and yet it will be the school year of 21/22 before they inject school staff, a full school year and a bit.

That is a bit of a mixed message putting them down the bottom.

Oh btw even though I am a teacher I might not be able to have the injection but I think it should be prioritised.

• Advertisement

Maybe. But alot of choice can make the mediocre to good student appear as good as the really good student, no ? And since they are all basically competing for points, that's a bit of an issue.

I don't know. It depends on the subject I guess. With English and Language (my subjects) it won't make a difference but with other subjects maybe it is an issue.

I would think that less choice and less material in general is the way to go

khalessi wrote: »
    The government keep telling people schools are essential and yet it will be the school year of 21/22 before they inject school staff, a full school year and a bit.

That is a bit of a mixed message putting them down the bottom.

Oh btw even though I am a teacher I might not be able to have the injection but I think it should be prioritised.

I think public health have the be the ones to make this decision. I don't think groups should be moved based on lobbying from groups or unions. (One of which had a questionable history regarding vaccinations)

I think public health have the be the ones to make this decision. I don't think groups should be moved based on lobbying from groups or unions. (One of which had a questionable history regarding vaccinations)

I am not asking you where you think we should go, but whether you think it is a mixed message, yes you are essential but at bottom of list.

I always find it interesting when people come ask others for opinions but never give any of their own because it isnt in the national interest or an ecumenical matter or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Do we think the school closures will include all schools and pupils, or will there be some exceptions for children of frontline workers, exam students, special ed schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

When you take up fishing?

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Do we think the school closures will include all schools and pupils, or will there be some exceptions for children of frontline workers, exam students, special ed schools?

Didn’t they say, or at least strongly imply, that children of frontline and essential workers will be able to attend this time around, at least at primary level (like in the UK and as it should have been from the outset). Don’t know about special ed though.

I am not asking you where you think we should go, but whether you think it is a mixed message, yes you are essential but at bottom of list.

I always find it interesting when people come ask others for opinions but never give any of their own because it isnt in the national interest or an ecumenical matter or whatever.

I think you have to defer to the experts on this. I'm not the one saying it should be changed because I've no experience in vaccination programmes

But I do think that one of the groups ahead of teachers has very loose entry requirements that could be tightened otherwise it could include lots of people who probably don't need to be vaccinated as priority.

When you take up fishing?

I think it's a reasonable question.

11th out of 14 sounds bad if you don't have a look at the groups themselves and numbers in each.

St.Spodo wrote: »

It was apparently leaked by someone in govt that it is a partial return, yes but nothing more detailed that so could be any combination of the above. Or none. Or all.

Didn’t they say, or at least strongly imply, that children of frontline and essential workers will be able to attend this time around, at least at primary level (like in the UK and as it should have been from the outset). Don’t know about special ed though.

That was for the creches

• Advertisement

I think it's a reasonable question.

11th out of 14 sounds bad if you don't have a look at the groups themselves and numbers in each.

My issue is them saying schools are safe, and Micheal has said they are safe for children.

He is incorrect but they also are workplaces with adults in them and it is not safe for them.

I know now schools might be closed but if they were left open, that would be a full school year leaving people at risk and then into the next year. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

It was apparently leaked by someone in govt that it is a partial return, yes but nothing more detailed that so could be any combination of the above. Or none. Or all.

Link?

alroley wrote: »
    Link?

oh now, I will have to go searching. It wasn't any official news source, which is why I said apparently, but I definitely saw something. Will have a look around

That was for the creches

Okay. My bad. I’d heard the arrangements being equated to the UK, and so had assumed would include at least primary

I would expect to see primary school children of essential workers in school, but I can't see exam years in next week. That would be hundreds of teens/young adults still coming to each school and mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

alroley wrote: »
    I would expect to see primary school children of essential workers in school, but I can't see exam years in next week. That would be hundreds of teens/young adults still coming to each school and mixing.

How does that work then? The teacher has to teach them for the day and then have 'online learning' for the students who are not in school?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

My issue is them saying schools are safe, and Micheal has said they are safe for children.

He is incorrect but they also are workplaces with adults in them and it is not safe for them.

Do you have the precise probability of a teacher contracting covid19 in a classroom and subsequently dying please? So we can judge exactly what "not safe" means...

zeebre12 wrote: »
    How does that work then? The teacher has to teach them for the day and then have 'online learning' for the students who are not in school?

I have no idea and I am not saying it is a good idea, but it is what the opposition has asked for and it is what other countries are doing, so I can see our government going with that.

sabat wrote: »
    Do you have the precise probability of a teacher contracting covid19 in a classroom and subsequently dying please? So we can judge exactly what "not safe" means...

Being in an overcrowded, small, badly ventilated room with 30+ unmasked people while a virus that has been described as "rampant" by the HSE is not safe.

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »

Nope but according to FOI over 6000 teachers in Spetember and October of 15% of the workforce were absent due to Covid related matters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement