Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don’t understand that. I would have assumed essential means a job that can’t be done from home and a service that can’t close. I know a few people who have bosses who want them on site so they suddenly become essential workers when in reality they don’t need to be there.

My cousin works for a company deemed as essential work (anima care related). She works in the office with all the other office staff. They still go in to work because they're allowed and don't work from home because they 'don't have enough laptops.' And clearly they don't have to/won't buy any more. This must be happening everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

People still don't seem to get it as regards schools, the vast majority of kids will be fine but teachers, SNA's, school bus drivers etc.. are risking a hell of a lot going into that environment with the current surge. I know I certainly wouldn't do it and I most certainly would expect to be vaccinated if I had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

? The schools were open for 4 months without causing a surge. I fully support them being closed now, because community infection is so high. But, it's completely obvious what caused the Christmas surge i.e. nothing to do with schools.

You and the government keep acting as if schools are not part of the community, or are immune to the virus in the community. Like they are isolated on the moon or something. Schools are simply a part of the community like everything else. They do not by themselves cause surges, nor are they somehow immune from a rise in cases when surges in the community do occur.

And yes the government will be delighted with the excuses people are drumming up for them now "oh we have to close because things have changed look how many cases." If they admit that the schools are not now, and therefore never been immune to community surges, then they have been lying out of their teeth the entire time and keeping schools open despite claiming that public health comes number one. I guess cowering to angry parents who don't want their children home is actually what comes as number one. That is criminal, it has cost lives, and they should be in prison for this. Starting with Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

The current UK list would see me have nearly a full class. Only 5 children would have to stay at home. It should be only available for children where both parents are essential workers/single parents who are key workers. Vulnerable children should also be catered for.

Am I being a little naïve in asking how do you know what jobs your students parents have??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

People still don't seem to get it as regards schools, the vast majority of kids will be fine but teachers, SNA's, school bus drivers etc.. are risking a hell of a lot going into that environment with the current surge. I know I certainly wouldn't do it and I most certainly would expect to be vaccinated if I had to.

When you say people, who do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Am I being a little naïve in asking how do you know what jobs your students parents have??

Parents jobs listed in their notes

We had to put our occupations on the school application form. Assuming that's where it comes from?

Not sure how they can be certain they're up to date and accurate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

How would opening for the children of frontline workers actually work?

All teachers will have to be on site then I’m assuming? We will have to teach face to face and remotely according to the timetable?

I’m wondering what the criteria for essential workers are. I’m assuming it’s the kids of parent who work in basically anything that’s open now. Will be almost a full return if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I don’t understand that. I would have assumed essential means a job that can’t be done from home and a service that can’t close. I know a few people who have bosses who want them on site so they suddenly become essential workers when in reality they don’t need to be there.

Point being that the essential/key worker list is enormous and companies can and will manipulate it to suit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

He is in Financial Services which is classified as essential. But the reality is that all he needs is his IT equipment and broadband to do his job which is not client facing. However, if for any reason he could not log on then he would need to go in to the office as some of his work is time critical and can't be postponed.

• Advertisement

It's a very good question.
    khalessi wrote: »
    Parents jobs listed in their notes

I know in our place they used to be, but not sure if they are anymore. Even so, jobs change. Families can provide false info about where their house is located to make the catchment area of a school, I'm sure they will be able to lie about where they work too unfortunately

How would opening for the children of frontline workers actually work?

All teachers will have to be on site then I’m assuming? We will have to teach face to face and remotely according to the timetable?

I’m wondering what the criteria for essential workers are. I’m assuming it’s the kids of parent who work in basically anything that’s open now. Will almost a full return if so.

Yes and yes. Will be a disaster. Everyone will be essential

Well in primary you'd generally have a good idea of the occupation of most parents. I'd actually probably know 70/80% of the parents in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    It's a very good question.

I know in our place they used to be, but not sure if they are anymore. Even so, jobs change. Families can provide false info about where their house is located to make the catchment area of a school, I'm sure they will be able to lie about where they work too unfortunately

When we filled out the enrolment form for the schools, it asked for Occupations.
    Also they are listed on the Birth Certs.
    Though mine doesn't say SAHM as it was a long time ago.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I have one too. And not been in the office since last March.

So lets say children of essential workers go to school, which means children of teachers go in too.

The teacher must teach the kids in the school. Who is going to teach the kids who are at home?

I'm assuming that he govt assume we will.

I'm assuming that he govt assume we will.

The f'd up thing about all this is the DES have abdicated all responsibility in setting up a national plan b, and now teachers/schools are supposed to figure all this out in 1-2 days?

The f@cking stupidity of it all. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Schools will most likely request a letter from the employer explaining what the job is and why it is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

So if you're in a SEN centre, DEIS school, or have children of front line workers (that's every teacher) you might be on site next week?

No rush there, I can prep for online and on site work at the same time and what about it if I'm wasting my time with one rather than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Schools will most likely request a letter from the employer explaining what the job is and why it is essential.

Of which most people working in any capacity at the moment have

SusanC10 wrote: »
    When we filled out the enrolment form for the schools, it asked for Occupations.
    Also they are listed on the Birth Certs.
    Though mine doesn't say SAHM as it was a long time ago.

Do schools have copies of birth certs? Maybe they do, but yeah they wouldnt be that up to date.

Anyway I don't think people will have to lie about what their job is. Unless they are a publican, a gym instructor or a hairdresser, they could find a way of arguing that they are essential. I had a Facebook contact who works in a bank using one of those 'I'm a frontline worker' borders around their profile picture sure!

I also don't think it is fair to put any of us in as desperate a situation, where we are here discussing who will and will not get access to an education for the next couple of weeks. It's sh1te. They need to sort themselves out and tell us what is going on and whatever they decide has to be fair and equal for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Wud you tell them they're not essential workers when the list, you'll be provided, will most likely be as clear as mud?

If a parent says they're an essential worker, be brave to tell them they're not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Yet again putting it on the schools, it is down to the government the thin the esential list

khalessi wrote: »
    Yet again putting it on the schools, it is down to the government the thing the esential list

And not to mention the fact that employers will hand them out to all and sundry, not a bother on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Thinking about my own class, I know the occupations of the vast majority of parents. Kids love to tell you these things. Some parents do too!

Wud you tell them they're not essential workers when the list, you'll be provided, will most likely be as clear as mud?

If a parent says they're an essential worker, be brave to tell them they're not

Look at all the people here saying that their employers are forcing them to be at work by not providing them with laptops. The onus is on the employer to provide equipment to enable their employees to work remotely if they're not needed on site and it's clear that some aren't doing so. Employers need to step up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I know in our school we were not to stream live lessons to students who were at home or isolating, I was told it was a union directive. We put up content such as questions etc but not live streaming.

When we had students go to the overflow hall, we could stream lessons to them but anyone at home who joined had to be removed.

What will have changed since??

I’m not complaining by the way just curious. I’ll do whatever is asked of me over the coming weeks/months to ensure to best for the students.

Employers need to step up here.

In fairness to them, with what is looking like it's going to be 2-3 days notice. Cabinet are not planning on telling anyone their plans until tomorrow.

I know in our school we were not to stream live lessons to students who were at home or isolating, I was told it was a union directive. We put up content such as questions etc but not live streaming.

When we had students go to the overflow hall, we could stream lessons to them but anyone at home who joined had to be removed.

What will have changed since??

I’m not complaining by the way just curious. I’ll do whatever is asked of me over the coming weeks/months to ensure to best for the students.

I can't remember if the union had an issue with live streaming or recording? I know they definitely were against recording classes, but can't remember if they also advised against live streaming.

One thing the union was very clear on was that it was the teacher's discretion what form of remote learning they delivered.

In fairness to them, with what is looking like it's going to be 2-3 days notice. Cabinet are not planning on telling anyone their plans until tomorrow.

No-one should've been at the office since March without a good reason, that never changed, so it's not really 2 - 3 days notice for employers.

• Advertisement

I can't remember if the union had an issue with live streaming or recording? I know they definitely were against recording classes, but can't remember if they also advised against live streaming.

One thing the union was very clear on was that it was the teacher's discretion what form of remote learning they delivered.

None of this really helps as it gives people carte blanche to go their own way. What is their problem with either mode exactly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement