Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

So student nurses working in covid wards may continue their placement but schools, which have shown themselves to be low risk environments, are closed.

Why the overprotection of teachers once again ?

Online learning is a cop out with most teachers working half the hours they would ordinarily. Write off the month of January and make teachers work the month of June. There is no other acceptable way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

alroley wrote: »
    I thought special schools were staying open?

No one is sure. Devil will be in the detail when we finally get an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kloppo

They will surely close

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

soso02 wrote: »
    So student nurses working in covid wards may continue their placement but schools, which have shown themselves to be low risk environments, are closed.

Online learning is a cop out with most teachers working half the hours they would ordinarily. Write off the month of January and make teachers work the month of June. There is no other acceptable way to do this.

Don't think its the over protection of teachers, more to do with the mass movement of people.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are not permitted to contact any of the Teachers directly at either School. All contact must go through the School Secretaries even email.

Well I make sure that all my parents have my teacher email address. I don't mind them using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I often wonder would the teachers be so trigger happy to keep schools closed if they had to go onto the PUP or if they had to forgo some of their holiday allowances in exchange for time taken in January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Most post primary teachers work more hours than normal when online. I don't know what agenda you have or where you are getting your information. Most post primary teachers worker well into June last year and started planning in early August engaging in online staff and department meetings. This premise that teachers are lazy and doing sweet f##k all is wrong

alroley wrote: »
    I thought special schools were staying open?

A lot of kids with special needs regressed quite badly during the last school closure and it would be unforgivable to let that happen again, I think MM said they would try to work out an arrangement with these type of schools

rob316 wrote: »
    Don't think its the over protection of teachers, more to do with the mass movement of people.

This is bull****.

So the thousands of students who started placement yesterday warrants no concern whatsoever ?

If the INMO had just just a fraction of the control the INTO exerts over the government, the exploitation of student nurses and health care students wouldn't be tolerated.

Schools are safe. Idle children spells disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

This is bull****.

So the thousands of students who started placement yesterday warrants no concern whatsoever ?

If the INMO had just just a fraction of the control the INTO exerts over the government, the exploitation of student nurses and health care students wouldn't be tolerated.

Actually having experienced both Unions the INMO is stronger

• Advertisement

This is bull****.

Now you are just talking nonsense. Teacher unions have little or no control over what the government do or decide. If they did then I wouldn't be an LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

You do realise that this decision is nothing whatsoever to do with teachers. It's because of the extraordinary explosion of case numbers in recent days.
    (Positivity rate and cases down today TG hopefully we're passing the peak)
    I often wonder would the teachers be so trigger happy to keep schools closed if they had to go onto the PUP or if they had to forgo some of their holiday allowances in exchange for time taken in January

I remember back in April 2020, teachers were asked to forgo two weeks of their summer holidays to provide tuition to leaving cert students.

Some teachers on here had the audacity to complain about being made work a couple of hours without pay.
    You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Anyone who isn't familiar with the term 'adaptive mutation' should REALLY have a listen to The Stand podcast, episode 982.

https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/episode/982/

It outlines why the schools (and not just the schools) absolutely need to close and he paints quite the picture of what we could be facing if case numbers do not come under control. It's frightening to hear how much worse this could actually get. It's all the more frightening if you have regularly listened to The Stand as you will therefore know that Tomás Ryan has been very very right about Covid all along.

If we are remote teaching everyone I will be very resentful about having to turn up to the building to do so. It was one thing going into a freezing cold building and having no access to common food and drink-making facillities when it absolutely had to be done. It's really sh1tty if they insist upon us doing it when there is no actual need for it.

You do realise that this decision is nothing whatsoever to do with teachers. It's because of the extraordinary explosion of case numbers in recent days.
    (Positivity rate and cases down today TG hopefully we're passing the peak)

Yes but teachers have been complaining about going to work since September claiming their working in an unsafe environment even when case numbers were not that high, all other sectors were happy to get back to work, unfortunately covid is a part of life now and a lot of workplaces have to deal with it, just be thankful youl be getting full pay while your off work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

To the amateur trolls going on about PUP, the U in PUP stands for unemployed. Teachers will be teaching online so will not be entitled to PUP.

The teachers are not responsible for a pandemic with a 23% transmission rate despite the fact you think we have superpowers and we don't make decisions on closures hence it is the government announcing it.

But thank you for your interest we hope you can move off beginner troll status soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

khalessi wrote: »
    To the amateur trolls going on about PUP, the U in PUP stands for unemployed. Teachers will be teaching online so will not be entitled to PUP.

The teachers are not responsible for a pandemic with a 23% transmission rate despite the fact you think we have superpowers and we don't make decisions on closures hence it is the government announcing it.

But thank you for your interest we hope you can move off begginer troll status soon

They just read out a text on Newstalk from 'Brendan' who says he has no problem with us doing the remote teaching, so long as our midterms and some of our summer holidays are taken off us

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The resentment (for what exactly?) is real!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

Yes but teachers have been complaining about going to work since September claiming their working in an unsafe environment even when case numbers were not that high, all other sectors were happy to get back to work, unfortunately covid is a part of life now and a lot of workplaces have to deal with it, just be thankful youl be getting full pay while your off work

Can you give examples of this as every teacher I know couldn’t wait to get back into the classroom. Yes some were lazy and didn’t want to go back but that’s the same for every industry.
    Schools are unsafe as you’re bringing together 30 households in one room not wearing masks and not reporting numbers correctly.
    You obviously have an agenda here and are bitter about teachers.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    They just read out a text on Newstalk from 'Brendan' who says he has no problem with us doing the remote teaching, so long as our midterms and some of our summer holidays are taken off us

Maybe 'Brendan' AKA Ciara, took time out from their 100 days of walking to send in the text.

That text is standard fare though with Newstalk. It is their base audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

This is bull****.

So you're saying nurses shouldn't go to work, because teachers are not physically teaching in a classroom?? That seems...odd. Are you advocating for student nurses to stay home and not do their placements? Would you feel better about your son or daughter doing their nurse placement as long as the teacher around the corner is in a classroom?

Idle children sounds like something from the 1900's. Do you think they'll all be playing nik nok on doors and stealing apples from the grocers cart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

It really makes me appreciate my job more when so many people are bitter about my time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I'm sorry but I don't think this Government cares at all about Teachers.
    How is the job description of a Teacher comparable to a student nurse/nurse?
    Remote learning can work....unfortunately, the career choice you have.. just like the police...ambulance drivers...shop workers can't avail of this option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I remember back in April 2020, teachers were asked to forgo two weeks of their summer holidays to provide tuition to leaving cert students.

Some teachers on here had the audacity to complain about being made work a couple of hours without pay.
    You couldn't make it up.

You're trying your best to make it up. The reality is that teachers of leaving cert students worked right up until mid June.

helpful wrote: »
    Can you give examples of this as every teacher I know couldn’t wait to get back into the classroom. Yes some were lazy and didn’t want to go back but that’s the same for every industry.
    Schools are unsafe as you’re bringing together 30 households in one room not wearing masks and not reporting numbers correctly.
    You obviously have an agenda here and are bitter about teachers.

Yes I do have an agenda as I think the last school closure affected a lot of kids badly, causing mental health problems, a lot of undue stress, special needs children regressing, youths bored at home with nothing to do etc so I don't think we should be so quick to close them down or go online if that even works out, and teachers constantly angling for school closures doesn't help your case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

helpful wrote: »
    It really makes me appreciate my job more when so many people are bitter about my time off.

Its not time off though, you are obviously busy being proactive for the remote learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Yes I do have an agenda as I think the last school closure affected a lot of kids badly, causing mental health problems, a lot of undue stress, special needs children regressing, youths bored at home with nothing to do etc so I don't think we should be so quick to close them down or go online if that even works out, and teachers constantly angling for school closures doesn't help your case

We are at 6000 cases per day. Our hospitals are quickly reaching capacity. When do you think would be the right time to stop over 1 million people going into small rooms with no social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Its not time off though, you are obviously busy being proactive for the remote learning.

Don't feed the troll, the teachers aren't getting time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

As a parent it is our duty to ensure the kids aren't bored and are productive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

In fairness, the phrasing is pretty inflammatory. But I don't think it is an unreasonable viewpoint to say "okay, we accept schools have to close. Online learning will start, but despite the fact that it is just as time intensive (if not more so) for the teachers, we can all accept that it is poor substitute for in classroom teaching. We know that teachers spent September and October this year "revising" (i.e. basically teaching from scratch) what was learned during the first lockdown, with the knock on effect that children are still behind on their curriculum for this year. That's without this second closure, so children are going to get even further behind. Is there an argument to extend the school year over the mid term or summer holidays, in the interests of our children's education?".

Of course some teachers may say "feck no. I'm exhausted in a normal year, and add in the stress of in person teaching in an unsafe environment and the hours preparing online learning while also homeschooling and minding my own children means I deserve every day of those holidays".

That's not unreasonable either.

Some teachers, who don't have children (or even who do) may say "y'know what, if everyone was doing it I'd do it too. For this year only. I want the kids to catch up, I'll still get 6/8 weeks of holidays, and I do think it's in the best interests of the kids". You'd have to be pretty altruistic to say this - but I'm going to say this - lots of teachers are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

If you believe half of what you spout i have concerns for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement