Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

soso02 wrote: »
    People fail to acknowledge that there were likely thousands more cases/day in February/March, unbeknownst to teachers.

You'd wonder were it not for the NPHET briefings would people know a virus was among us ?

really :rolleyes: i suppose tis just a flu right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People fail to acknowledge that there were likely thousands more cases/day in February/March, unbeknownst to teachers.

You'd wonder were it not for the NPHET briefings would people know a virus was among us ?
    What a bizarre thing to say.

"You didn't know the danger was there before, so why is it a problem now?"

If I told you that your house had chronically high levels of carbon monoxide would you say, "Sure, it's never bothered me before, why does it matter?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

seamus wrote: »
    What a bizarre thing to say.

"You didn't know the danger was there before, so why is it a problem now?"

If I told you that your house had chronically high levels of carbon monoxide would you say, "Sure, it's never bothered me before, why does it matter?".

hasnt killed me yet, surely its not dangerous at all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

really :rolleyes: i suppose tis just a flu right

Well, NPHET said as much, though probably just a slip.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Considering the case numbers now after almost a year of different levels of restrictions I'll go out on a limb here and say yes... yes they would, it'd be fairly hard to ignore the mass graves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Lillyfae wrote: »
    That's an "I'd rather you didn't badger me about my profession on an anonymous message board". I'll offer it up if I feel like it, which I don't.

So no

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Yes I do have an agenda as I think the last school closure affected a lot of kids badly, causing mental health problems, a lot of undue stress, special needs children regressing, youths bored at home with nothing to do etc so I don't think we should be so quick to close them down or go online if that even works out, and teachers constantly angling for school closures doesn't help your case

The virus has caused everyone to be bored at home, affected badly etc. Why should not the load be spread accross all age groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

frank8211 wrote: »
    The virus has caused everyone to be bored at home, affected badly etc. Why should not the load be spread accross all age groups

TBH I'd say the whole thing has had a disproportionate affect on children, they've suffered and endured quite a lot compared to most bar maybe the extremely vulnerable or the paranoid.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

You live in a dream world. There is no shifts in certain work areas. Both of us work from home, on laptops, would be on calls for 90% of that time and need to be in those calls.

We aren't front line workers but without us you have no cash or mobile networks

I feel sorry for people with kids under 5, but you can't let one selection go to school and not the others.

This is our situation. We are in similar roles that require us being on the phone most of the day and our jobs don’t offer any flexibility with regards hours. We have to work during opening hours. We have a 1 year old so plonking her in front of YouTube isn’t an option. Thankfully I can work an evening shift and my workplace is giving me paid time off for half the day...for now! Really hope the creche will take our daughter next week. But at the same time nervous sending her in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

As a PP teacher i would happily leave january to settle down , hopefully go back feb 1st in some format and go til june 28th. put the leaving cert back to start july 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

alroley wrote: »
    Your views are so odd.

Parents not parenting their kids: oh well! It happens! The school needs to keep the kids entertained.

Teachers wanting safe work environments: BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!!

We all want safer work environments but unfortunately covid has now become part of our daily working lives, you don't hear other professions demanding closure of their workplaces, whether your a chef working in a busy kitchen, a labourer working on a construction crewe etc

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

frank8211 wrote: »

Try telling that to the kids who rely on school for a safe haven away from their situations at home, the vulnerable who can't even afford WiFi or the autistic child who doesn't understand why they have nothing to get up out of bed for, yeah let's spread the load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Try telling that to the kids who rely on school for a safe haven away from their situations at home, the vulnerable who can't even afford WiFi or the autistic child who doesn't understand why they have nothing to get up out of bed for, yeah let's spread the load

Bit emotional reading that, feel so bad for the kids

We've ****ed this up for months and they are the one's being punished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No doubt, it's a terrible situation, effecting some more than others, with varying levels of effect.
    The alternative - at this minute in time - are limited unfortunately. This is sadly the way of the world right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭munster87

Solar2021 wrote: »
    Bit emotional reading that, feel so bad for the kids

We've ****ed this up for months and they are the one's being punished

Quite a few of the elderly suffered too I’ve heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We all want safer work environments but unfortunately covid has now become part of our daily working lives, you don't hear other professions demanding closure of their workplaces, whether your a chef working in a busy kitchen, a labourer working on a construction crewe etc

There are levels of risk and safety however.
    Lots of these professions don't set out to work in an unsafe environment, in fact there are plenty procedures and processes in place (generall, not just in Covid times) that ensure there is as little risk as possible in their workplaces with heavy fines if these are not in place or adhered too - particularily on building sites.
    None of these professions work in an environment no more than 80 square metres (being generous with that size) with between 15 and 30 other humans for a number of hours per day, every day.
    It's become part of the daily working life but with cases as they are presently changes have to and are being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

munster87 wrote: »

Yeah but they've lived long happy lives

I've talked to many of them and they don't feel sorry themselves, they feel sorry for the kids, teenagers, young adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

It's weird - I saw several Tweets earlier incl RTE or some of their journalists and TDs etc saying that MM confirmed that schools would be closed until Jan 31st. Now they seemed to have disappeared?
    Why are they waiting to make the announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

SusanC10 wrote: »
    It's weird - I saw several Tweets earlier incl RTE or some of their journalists and TDs etc saying that MM confirmed that schools would be closed until Jan 31st. Now they seemed to have disappeared?

Possibly can only be officially announced after Cabinet meeting tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

SusanC10 wrote: »

The official Fianna Fail account nd plenty of their senators and councillors tweeted earlier about school closures. Obviously they all jumped the gun, I'm guessing whoever times their tweets timed it for today instead of tomorrow by accident. They were all quickly deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Its already widely half arsed leaked why not just make the announcement so people know exactly what's happening and can prepare for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Still trolling I see.

Obviously, those other professions are not working with 30+ people from different households, unmasked, no social distancing and often a lack of ventilation.

Parents are also calling for a closure because we are ALL at risk due to 1million plus in the education system moving around and coming into close contact. That's what the closures are about. Absolutely no one in government is making decisions based on what teachers may or may not want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

munster87 wrote: »
    Yeah but they've lived long happy lives

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Yeah but they've lived long happy lives .

That's a mighty big assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

E36Ross wrote: »
    Its already widely half arsed leaked why not just make the announcement so people know exactly what's happening and can prepare for it.

Do we think it's full closure and claw back time later or work online from next Monday to end of January.
    (Parent here)

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Do we think it's full closure and claw back time later or work online from next Monday to end of January.
    (Parent here)

I reckon work online from Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't see them opening in February, it will take many weeks to get below 1000 cases a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

(Parent here)

Itll be work online i would think. As a parent and a teacher I'd much rather a closure and claw back the time. If its only a 3 week closure which will be 15 days we could work through Easter (except good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday) and through midterm break in Feb. Some schools have a week off in May and I know my own school has a week to play with at the end of June as we don't take any days off during the year so that would cover the missed days. I know it would be tough on the kids as they would have no real break but they could have fun days and I'm sure noone would mind too much for a one off.

I would much rather this this than online teaching. But I don't expect anyone higher up to be that sensible. I'd be happy to go to work to help out minding children of essential workers one or 2 days a week also. As I'm sure most people would.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Itll be work online i would think. As a parent and a teacher I'd much rather a closure and claw back the time. If its only a 3 week closure which will be 15 days we could work through Easter (except good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday) and through midterm break in Feb. Some schools have a week off in May and I know my own school has a week to play with at the end of June as we don't take any days off during the year so that would cover the missed days. I know it would be tough on the kids as they would have no real break but they could have fun days and I'm sure noone would mind too much for a one off.

I would much rather this this than online teaching. But I don't expect anyone higher up to be that sensible. I'd be happy to go to work to help out minding children of essential workers one or 2 days a week also. As I'm sure most people would.

Aren't teachers essential workers? So as a parent you would happily go to work leaving someone else to mind your child so you can mind someones elses child?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

(Parent here)

Online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement