Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do we think it's full closure and claw back time later or work online from next Monday to end of January.
    (Parent here)

Online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

The word union seems to evoke something strange in some people.
    Along with the word teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Aren't teachers essential workers? So as a parent you would happily go to work leaving someone else to mind your child so you can mind someones elses child?:rolleyes:

No I would bring my own children with me. They would be fine. They are a bit older and if it was to help someone out why not? If I had to go to hospital for any reason at all now id be hoping they had the staff to treat me and not have to be at home because noone offered to mind their children.

Edited to add i would be happy to do it if we were actually closed. Not working online.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    No I would bring my own children with me. They would be fine. They are a bit older and if it was to help someone out why not? If I had to go to hospital for any reason at all now id be hoping they had the staff to treat me and not have to be at home because noone offered to mind their children.

So you'd bring your own children into school to mind them and the children of doctors/nurses and we are been asked to decrease our contacts?:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

khalessi wrote: »
    I reckon work online from Monday

So if like last year my smallie will get one email a week with work, it’s not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

pc7 wrote: »
    So if like last year my smallie will get one email a week with work, it’s not good enough.

Have you emailed school about this or mentioned it since September?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

It will go on line id imagine.

I would probably prefer to just extend the break with the intention of making up the time. However Im not sure that would do anyone any good. Who wants to be in when the weather picks up when we are all stuck in now. Im also not convinced this is the last of it so would be concerned we will loose more teaching hours down the line, either through school closures or sick staff.

Well then you need to get on to your school. There were massive inconsistencies last time and this is why there should be a plan that the department can provide all schools with to avoid that happening again. But they have not provided this so no doubt this time will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I presume you're checking their e-mails to ensure they haven't deliberty missed them?

jrosen wrote: »
    It will go on line id imagine.

I would probably prefer to just extend the break with the intention of making up the time. However Im not sure that would do anyone any good. Who wants to be in when the weather picks up when we are all stuck in now. Im also not convinced this is the last of it so would be concerned we will loose more teaching hours down the line, either through school closures or sick staff.

Oh don't say that. Maybe I am being stupid but I'm hoping this will be the last time we will be closed. I'm also hoping that we will be back on the 1st of Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My 5th class lady got 3 emails in total from her teacher in March-June period last year. Hardly enough to keep her busy for 2 weeks. Several parents complained but not sure it had any effect. The teacher this year seems more clued in. Hopefully anyway but there should be strict guidance on what's required for minimum service.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I presume you're checking their e-mails to ensure they haven't deliberty missed them?

It was junior infants, so mail came to me with work. I did ask and push for zoom or something, I offered to assist setting up something, anything so kids could even see teacher and have some connection with the school. I will push harder this time out if it’s the same Craic. They moved to SeeSaw for homework in September so hoping that was in mind if we were home again.

It was junior infants, so mail came to me with work. I did ask and push for zoom or something, I offered to assist setting up something, anything so kids could even see teacher and have some connection with the school. I will push harder this time out if it’s the same Craic. They moved to SeeSaw for homework in September so hoping that was in mind if we were home again.

What do you think the kids should be doing on seesaw in Junior Infants? I'm not saying the teacher shouldn't be interacting with the kids but so much work at that age is hands on. I have a junior infant child here at the moment and I have no intention of engaging with seesaw for her if its online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

They'd be a very smart junior infant in they were deleting e-mails.

What do you think the kids should be doing on seesaw in Junior Infants? I'm not saying the teacher shouldn't be interacting with the kids but so much work at that age is hands on. I have a junior infant child here at the moment and I have no intention of engaging with seesaw for her if its online.

A video saying ‘hello children, keep up the work for your folks’ I know they aren’t going to sit and watch a zoom lesson at that age, but I felt it was very very poor just getting an email a week. The teacher sent them a video when school broke up for summer and that she was looking forward to seeing them in September (same one for JI/SI, it made such a difference, they must have watched the video 50 times. So this time I’ll be asking for at least a weekly message, where they see the teacher at least.

A video saying ‘hello children, keep up the work for your folks’ I know they aren’t going to sit and watch a zoom lesson at that age, but I felt it was very very poor just getting an email a week. The teacher sent them a video when school broke up for summer and that she was looking forward to seeing them in September (same one for JI/SI, it made such a difference, they must have watched the video 50 times. So this time I’ll be asking for at least a weekly message, where they see the teacher at least.

Well that's not too much to ask. I teach first and second and we were in touch every day when we got set up after Easter. The kids would leave me voice messages and I would reply so we had lots of little conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    In my opinion the only reason schools haven't been closed is because of the amount of teachers who didn't step up to the plate last March/ April.
    The Government know that it will be same this time with the same excuses from the same lazy teachers.
    If like other countries they had of stepped up and got on with things instead of feeble excuses about "the department" and "gdpr" and just taught online instead of treating it like an extended holiday all kids would be learning from home for the next two months.
    I somehow doubt that it's the kids that would be bothered by it.
    With all due respect that's a load of cr@p. If you read back through the threads on here from then it is plain to see there was no panic or anxiety just numerous complaints about useless unwilling teachers who didn't do a thing.
    Are you seriously telling me that supposedly educated people needed training in using the apps mentioned above?
    Also the likes of Zoom, Meet and Teams were being used in workplaces all over Ireland on a large scale from February last year.
    With no "training".

Mod

This is not the place to soapbox & rant about your disdain of teachers.

Don't post in this thread again.

Mod

Threadban lifted after discussion with poster

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Itll be work online i would think. As a parent and a teacher I'd much rather a closure and claw back the time. If its only a 3 week closure which will be 15 days we could work through Easter (except good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday) and through midterm break in Feb. Some schools have a week off in May and I know my own school has a week to play with at the end of June as we don't take any days off during the year so that would cover the missed days. I know it would be tough on the kids as they would have no real break but they could have fun days and I'm sure noone would mind too much for a one off.

I would much rather this this than online teaching. But I don't expect anyone higher up to be that sensible. I'd be happy to go to work to help out minding children of essential workers one or 2 days a week also. As I'm sure most people would.

You must teach very different kids to me if you think they could cope with being at school for 5 months with only a day or two off! I do agree that Feb mid term should go and perhaps a small bit of the Easter break however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I do agree that Feb mid term should go and perhaps a small bit of the Easter break however

As well as remote learning from Monday?

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    As well as remote learning from Monday?

I'd be happier to do remote learning and leave the holidays the way they are (bar Feb now as that's pointless) but I would understand if they shortened Easter a bit. Doubt they will though

You must teach very different kids to me if you think they could cope with being at school for 5 months with only a day or two off! I do agree that Feb mid term should go and perhaps a small bit of the Easter break however

I did acknowledge that it would be tough on the kids. Everyone was wrecked at the end of term 1 and I have really enjoyed being off but just is an extraordinary year. It was just a suggestion to avoid the online teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Level 5 my ass, well my kid is too small to manage remote and we both work full time so not happening in my house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

The BBC is putting out 3 hours of primary school programming every day of the week, and at least 2 hours for secondary students.

Anyone hear of any lessons being put together here for the homeschool hub?

Also seeing in comments that New Zealand is doing it as is Ecuador. And Australia. And France. And Mexico. Italy. Spain. Turkey. Ghana. Pakistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Mad the way some people who have never taught a class in their life, or perhaps haven’t even been in a school since they left one god knows how long ago, know what schools and teachers should be doing during this upcoming period. Telling us what’s best for students.

More often than not these same people don’t like teachers as well. I find it really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is there going to be any standardised approach to learning at home or will each school do it's own thing? Last time we ended up with some schools being very engaged with their students while others hardly interacted at all.

I did acknowledge that it would be tough on the kids. Everyone was wrecked at the end of term 1 and I have really enjoyed being off but just is an extraordinary year. It was just a suggestion to avoid the online teaching.

That fair enough. There's no perfect solution I'm afraid. Remote learning for now is the best there is imo although it won't suit everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Itll be work online i would think. As a parent and a teacher I'd much rather a closure and claw back the time. If its only a 3 week closure which will be 15 days we could work through Easter (except good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday) and through midterm break in Feb. Some schools have a week off in May and I know my own school has a week to play with at the end of June as we don't take any days off during the year so that would cover the missed days. I know it would be tough on the kids as they would have no real break but they could have fun days and I'm sure noone would mind too much for a one off.

I would much rather this this than online teaching. But I don't expect anyone higher up to be that sensible. I'd be happy to go to work to help out minding children of essential workers one or 2 days a week also. As I'm sure most people would.

This is the sort of selfless attitude that is great to see, it would give me great confidence if others shared your views, it may seem like im tarring all teachers with the one brush but i see some of you guys are really willing to dig deep and do what is right for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Is there going to be any standardised approach to learning at home or will each school do it's own thing? Last time we ended up with some schools being very engaged with their students while others hardly interacted at all.

if the department had put anything resembling a plan together during the period of last march until now we could have had a centralized hub and standardised approach, unfortunately they sat on their asses and went with plan "all in or nothing"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mad the way some people who have never taught a class in their life, or perhaps haven’t even been in a school since they left one god knows how long ago, know what schools and teachers should be doing during this upcoming period. Telling us what’s best for students.

More often than not these same people don’t like teachers as well. I find it really interesting.

Are you talking about the inspectorate :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement