Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The point of this poll isn't even really to see what proportion of people wanted to see the extended closure happen. It's just to prove that there are voices on both sides of the debate and to pick only one selection of voices is unethical and undemocratic.

Especially, as it seems, when the voices being listened to are a minority (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

s1ippy wrote: »
    2020-07-03_iri_60117775_I1.JPG
    She finally realises she could do with a hand.

The Enya of Education, enigmatic and invisible

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Teachers don’t appear to show any flexibility or eagerness to get back to the job they’re paid to do so keep them open

Not much of a clue have you?

It wouldn’t. And once shuttered they wouldn’t open again until next spring or later. We see how hard it was to re open them in September

Was so hard they reopened in August for the most part, there was no difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

have a real sense from general reaction out there that people have enough and will not obey the govts latest rules on visiting family in home/garden..

alot of ppl at breaking point mentally coming into the winter

gonna be hard to keep schools open with hundreds (thousands in some cases) mingling if ppl dont obey the rules...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Let us be honest, schools will be closed from mid-term until the New Year. At least try and give the poor parents a few more weeks.

Let us be honest, schools will be closed from mid-term until the New Year. At least try and give the poor parents a few more weeks.
    I don't think you're right about that. In fact, I'd wager closing them early would lead to the spread being stemmed sooner and less damage done in this wave.

Also, great thread for spot the regretful parents, along with several re-reg accounts of that one same relentless poster from "How are the schools going to reopen in September" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The schools will close for 2 weeks at least for midterm.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

You do realize schools have been fully reopened since late August?and you'd rather people die so you can " punish" teachers?What about SNAs, school secretaries/caretakers/cleaners? Vunerable children and parents/extended family members?

Let’s not bend the truth- plenty I know did not open until early September. And that’s After being closed since March- so that was hardly an achievement or major cause Celebre to those of us in the real world.
    Not “punish”- a dose of reality. Any teachers not engaged in meaningful quantifiable and accountable online teaching etc should be on the pup payments (too many doing nothing since March), and same goes for all support staff.
    People die all the time- do you think by teachers not working we are going to eradicate death or something? Hysterical emotive OTT stuff.
    The reason we can’t allow extended holidays for you for Halloween after only being back a few weeks (after being closed since March) is because experience now shows us you will fight tooth and nail to resist reopening with all manner of emotional blackmail and virtue signalling.

Not even the new year. Jan feb March all peak flu season. Once the gates are locked it’ll be nigh on impossible to get them back to work. Experience shows this vividly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The schools will close for 2 weeks at least for midterm.

The complete and utter gobshíte Meehole said earlier specifically that they won't

khalessi wrote: »
    Was so hard they reopened in August for the most part, there was no difficulty.

You say like that was sone kind of “major” achievement...they were closed from March through to end June as per full year (primary level). This was a massive chunk of a school year to miss out on and certainly nothing to celebrate in Reopening 6 months later.
    I admire the teachers that did keep things going online etc to be fair to them- but I’ve heard far too many that did nothing and got still full pay- if they are forced closed again this isn’t going to wash next time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Panga wrote: »
    I would prefer it if measures were taken to make schools safer. Reduce the numbers of students in class groups. Follow the ECDC guidelines which say that anyone in the classroom is a close contact of a positive case. End the secrecy around cases in schools. Treat parents, students and school staff with the respect they deserve.

If the DoE, the HSE and the government are unwilling to do the above then yes schools should be closed.
    if it was done as you ask every school would be shut by now in this country. know one retail store where person tested positive, entire place was cleaned by hazmat team, imagine that for hundreds of schools now.

as effect isnt sure lets move on, people take it as risk and then youll have parents willing to pull kids out of school delay returns etc, not as simple johhny was infected so few of his mates will be tested solution that takes place.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The complete and utter gobshíte Meehole said earlier specifically that they won't

that was before he banned all house and garden gatherings and northern Ireland went into 4 week lock down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ShineOn7 wrote: »

It amazes me how much they are sticking to their guns with schools, i mean everyone knows when it comes to bugs, viruses, nits etc schools are literal breading grounds, the perfect transmission area. I honestly don't think anything will be changed with schools, its as if they are staking their entire political power behind the decision to reopen them with full numbers and minimal guidelines.

You say like that was sone kind of “major” achievement...they were closed from March through to end June as per full year (primary level). This was a massive chunk of a school year to miss out on and certainly nothing to celebrate in Reopening 6 months later.
    I admire the teachers that did keep things going online etc to be fair to them- but I’ve heard far too many that did nothing and got still full pay- if they are forced closed again this isn’t going to wash next time

Actually it was, due to the Deptartment's imcompetence in releasing guidelines and funding until 3 weeks before reopening and it got done by a sector not used to dealing with cross infection prevention. Speaking as a nurse trained in the area they did a great job.

Schools reopened when they did due to guidelines from NPHET and DEpt of Health if you have an issue take it up with them. You state "The reason we can’t allow extended holidays for you for Halloween after only being back a few weeks (after being closed since March) is because experience now shows us you will fight tooth and nail to resist reopening with all manner of emotional blackmail and virtue signalling"

Please provide evidence of same.

It sees you are up to your old tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honestly what people “want” is bullshiit in this argument.

We should be following the science. Last I saw there had been no rise in positive cases among school age children since schools reopened.

I can only speak for my own kids and they are happy at school and eldest (18) Was just saying this evening that they are better at school. If it’s closed the kids will be hanging round the towns in uncontrolled groups in as much risk of not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

if they are so sure the schools are not the problem they should cancel the mid term break and keep them open . Would be a start towards making up for the months they lost . Although i cant see the poor teachers doing that , their representative's were on the radio last week saying the poor dears were exhausted

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tosspot

There are people in every profession that take the piss and do as little as possible to get by. It seems people focus in on this minority with teachers far more than in any other profession. Personally I would hate the schools to close. I love being back and can see the kids love being back too. It is great being able to be back working in a familiar environment again and anyone that thinks teachers want to go back to online teaching clearly hasn't a clue. Our school principal was in school every single day over summer ensuring everything was done to open up as safely as possible. Seeing teachers as being on the opposing side in all this seems a quite bizarre stance to take to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Its imperative that the schools should stay open, whatever about certain sectors closing I think it would be a huge mistake to close schools, we need to put safeguards in place to ensure continuous education of children and see them in a routine with as little disruption as possible, it was easy close them coming into the summer but closing the education system down like before would be a massive blunder imo

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

_Brian wrote: »

We should be following the science. Last I saw there had been no rise in positive cases among school age children since schools reopened.

I can only speak for my own kids and they are happy at school and eldest (18) Was just saying this evening that they are better at school. If it’s closed the kids will be hanging round the towns in uncontrolled groups in as much risk of not more.

Parent's have responsibility here.

_Brian wrote: »

I agree, the actions shouldn't be dictated by what people just want. I did the poll because Michael Martin said Norma Foley got lots of correspondence begging her not to close schools. It demonstrates that the government were being selective in what voices from the public they listen to. If they're using that as justification for this decision, what the hell information are they resulting on to make other decisions.

Unrelated, I haven't heard any journalists ask NPHET about schools transmission since they gave the data up to 29th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Two weeks for midterm and pay the second week back at Easter. How about that option ?

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Two weeks for midterm and pay the second week back at Easter. How about that option ?

the problem is that this virus is not going away anywhere fast...

so we will have the same problem all year at xmas, feb, easter and next summer ...

may as well just go online and get on with it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I wonder is there any scenario at all in which the government reduce school numbers or go remote

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

I wonder is there any scenario at all in which the government reduce school numbers or go remote

I think that would take a miracle (read: disaster) to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Purplewaters

Did everyone shut down for lockdown pay back their 'holiday time? No online learning i presume if they're paying it back?

Nothing quite says holiday like a full lockdown where you can't even see your family. Sure theyre having great fun over that midterm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Purplewaters

Nothing quite says holiday like a full lockdown where you can't even see your family. Sure theyre having great fun over that midterm.

I could be wrong but staff are paid purely for their time worked in schools ans 3 days are in easter for snow day catch up ans the likes. These could be used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

All I can say is remember St. Patrick's day;
    -It is going ahead
    -It is absolutely going ahead
    -We are clear that we can still celebrate in the same way
    -Just a few more days now
    -
    -
    -Okay, lets postpone it just for a while

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement