Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

Folks , there is no way the schools will open as normal in February. Best case scenario is around 2000 cases in 3 weeks. With the British more transmissible strain set to become dominant, I cannot see Ssecondary back fully. It will have to be a week on , week off hybrid model. They will do everything to try to operate primary as normal though.I hope they will be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

If special schools and classes are to remain open no matter how dire the situation is, should the staff not be vaccinated alongside healthcare workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

If May 8th then - taking out the Easter holidays, that would have been after 6 weeks of face-to-face classes missed.

I don't think scrapping the exams for 6ths is a good idea, for reasons I've laid out before (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115807735&postcount=7919) but if they go remote for 6 weeks this year, you can see how it will be pushed for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

vid36 wrote: »
    Folks , there is no way the schools will open as normal in February. Best case scenario is around 2000 cases in 3 weeks. With the British more transmissible strain set to become dominant, I cannot see Ssecondary back fully. It will have to be a week on , week off hybrid model. They will do everything to try to operate primary as normal though.I hope they will be ready.

It would be criminal if they try to operate primary normally knowing that the new strain is 50% more transmissinble in younget students including under 9s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    If May 8th then - taking out the Easter holidays, that would have been after 6 weeks of face-to-face classes missed.

I don't think scrapping the exams for 6ths is a good idea, for reasons I've laid out before (will edit to attach link to previous post) but if they go remote for 6 weeks this year, you can see how it will be pushed for

Plus this year's students also lost those same six weeks last year as well as individuals, classes or whole schools may have been shut isolating or their teachers may have been isolating.

• Advertisement

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Plus this year's students also lost those same six weeks last year as well as individuals, classes or whole schools may have been shut isolating or their teachers may have been isolating.

Yes they did, which is part of the reason I think they should do an exam this year by the way, but you are right, they have missed a lot of time, so I can see predicted grading being pushed for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I am a special class teacher with 6 pupils and 2 other adults in a small classroom. We work very closely with our pupils over the course of the day. There is absolutely no social distancing in my classroom from adults or children.

I feel very upset that I will have to attend school every day while my colleagues from mainstream can work from home.

I would be well able to support my parents and pupils in an online way with supplementary workpacks sent home as was done in March.

I have no qualms about working at all but not when my colleagues are safe at home.

I am a special class teacher with 6 pupils and 2 other adults in a small classroom. We work very closely with our pupils over the course of the day. There is absolutely no social distancing in my classroom from adults or children.

I feel very upset that I will have to attend school every day while my colleagues from mainstream can work from home.

I would be well able to support my parents and pupils in an online way with supplementary workpacks sent home as was done in March.

I have no qualms about working at all but not when my colleagues are safe at home.

Do you mind me asking, do the pupils wear masks or visors? I'd imagine not, even if it is second level. I understand your upset

This years 6th years are far worse off than last years. I was against calculated grades last year, but I wouldn't mind them this year. (with stricter rules on what is and isn't shared with students)

Last year my 6th years were pretty much finished the business course by the time we moved to online learning.

I have a great bunch this year for 6th year accounting, and they worked amazingly well during online learning in 5th year, but I feel under pressure with them to get the course done.

Do you mind me asking, do the pupils wear masks or visors? I'd imagine not, even if it is second level. I understand your upset

They are all Junior ASD. No masks or visors.

• Advertisement

alroley wrote: »
    This years 6th years are far worse off than last years. I was against calculated grades last year, but I wouldn't mind them this year. (with stricter rules on what is and isn't shared with students)

Would you feel that you know them or their true ability well enough to make that call though? That's what I'd be most concerned about. They have missed an inordinate amount of time

At least with last year's 6th years you had Christmas, summer, mock exams and a full year and a bit of proper teaching to go on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes it's a very tough one for you

My two nephews had a terrible time of it back in March to September

Their regression was unreal without school

Their teacher certainly couldn't and wasn't able to support their parents and pupils in an online way with supplementary workpacks sent home

My sister is very worried about their special needs units not being back for a long time and them regressing again

The government would be trying to address that by keeping special needs going

Of course that means they would need the teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I'm the same except I have 8 children in my class with another child due to join it on Monday. Absolutely no social distancing. We feed them, we have children in nappies and a whole range of other things going on including severe behaviour issues. They're all under the age of 9.

I want to go back to school. I love my job but not when the numbers are this high. I'm asmathic, my fiance is a type 1 diabetic and his dad (who we live with) is going for an operation in less than 2 weeks.

I feel like crying and I know that's silly. I know parents have it tough. It's just a horrible situation for everyone.

They are all Junior ASD. No masks or visors.
    KatW4 wrote: »
    I'm the same except I have 8 children in my class with another child due to join it on Monday. Absolutely no social distancing. We feed them, we have children in nappies and a whole range of other things going on including severe behaviour issues. They're all under the age of 9.

I want to go back to school. I love my job but not when the numbers are this high. I'm asmathic, my fiance is a type 1 diabetic and his dad (who we live with) is going for an operation in less than 2 weeks.

I feel like crying and I know that's silly. I know parents have it tough. It's just a horrible situation for everyone.

Are ye working in units that are attached to mainstream schools?

KatW4 wrote: »

I feel like bursting out crying too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Very hard on you but if it's any consolation, workers like yourself must be a God send for the pupils and parents. And having most people at home, including siblings of your pupils is actually making it a bit safer for you. And other teachers are working hard from home, apart from anything else it sounds like parents will be very demanding this time round ! It might be nice if they at least shortened the school day for people like yourself.

Would you feel that you know them or their true ability well enough to make that call though? That's what I'd be most concerned about. They have missed an inordinate amount of time

At least with last year's 6th years you had Christmas, summer, mock exams and a full year and a bit of proper teaching to go on

That is true. I have not spent as much time with this group.

However, they have been incredibly consistent with exams that took place in 5th year both in and out of school and their 6th year Christmas exams/class tests. They are all pretty much in the same gradeband no matter what topics (e.g always student1 H2, student2 H5 etc.)

My class last year were so up and down I found it difficult to pick grades, at the moment I'd find it easier with my current group. But, you are very correct in saying I might not know their true ability. They could jump up grades towards the end.

Yes, attached to mainstream. By the sounds of it, everyone else will be at home, bar the special needs staff and pupils.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Very hard on you but if it's any consolation, workers like yourself must be a God send for the pupils and parents. And having most people at home, including siblings of your pupils is actually making it a bit safer for you. And other teachers are working hard from home, apart from anything else it sounds like parents will be very demanding this time round ! It might be nice if they shortened the school day at least for people like yourself.

or a reduced working week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Bananaleaf wrote:

MGLD class in a Mainstream school. We have 2 MGLD classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

Schools were originally meant to be opening tomorrow, but they extended the holidays rather than going to remote learning.

Do we know yet if the upcoming closures will be actual school closures or move to distance learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

As a final year PME due to start my final placement block now, I feel so in limbo right now. Nothing but radio silence from our director of placement. Have no idea what is going to happen with placement right now.

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Schools were originally meant to be opening tomorrow, but they extended the holidays rather than going to remote learning.

Do we know yet if the upcoming closures will be actual school closures or move to distance learning?

Em.... actually no, we don't. They'd surely have to be though if MM is being genuine when he says he wants to preserve the examinations or whatever he said

As a final year PME due to start my final placement block now, I feel so in limbo right now. Nothing but radio silence from our director of placement. Have no idea what is going to happen with placement right now.

To be fair, what is happening it is yet to actually be announced.

Your director of placement probably needs to wait and see what the government has to say. What are they supposed to say to you? They don't know what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What do you think they can tell you right now? Absolutely nothing because no one knows anything for sure. Rumours have swirled for the past day but have kinda changed this evening so God knows what tomorrow will bring.

alroley wrote: »
    Your director of placement probably needs to wait and see what the government has to say. What are they supposed to say to you? They don't know what is happening.

Every man and his dog knows what's happening. Thats the point.

Every man and his dog knows what's happening. Thats the point.

A university cannot send out a statement based on leaks to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

DubLad69 wrote: »

Hopefully complete closures and claw back the days from Easter or summer holidays. Any appetite for online learning is non existent here anyway after the ****show that was lockdown number one.

Thankfully youngest has got a new teacher this year so maybe we'll get more than one email a week if it does go online. Personally I'd prefer if they just closed for the remainder of the month and take less holidays elsewhere.

• Advertisement

What do you think they can tell you right now? Absolutely nothing because no one knows anything for sure. Rumours have swirled for the past day but have kinda changed this evening so God knows what tomorrow will bring.

To make absolutely no contact with us whatsoever is poor form.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement