Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Every man and his dog knows what's happening. Thats the point.

So tell us then. None of us know so maybe enlighten us.

Schools won't be properly open is about the height of what we know for sure. Some in, all out, hybrid, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, LC still on? See, no one knows anything for certain just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

alroley wrote: »
    A university cannot send out a statement based on leaks to the media.

They have made absolutely no acknowledgement of the current situation.

To make absolutely no contact with us whatsoever is poor form.

So they should email you to say they have nothing concrete to tell you?

What would the point be in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

alroley wrote: »
    That is true. I have not spent as much time with this group.

However, they have been incredibly consistent with exams that took place in 5th year both in and out of school and their 6th year Christmas exams/class tests. They are all pretty much in the same gradeband no matter what topics (e.g always student1 H2, student2 H5 etc.)

My class last year were so up and down I found it difficult to pick grades, at the moment I'd find it easier with my current group. But, you are very correct in saying I might not know their true ability. They could jump up grades towards the end.

That would be my concern anyway. By the way, remember last night when you asked me for the source that someone in govt had leaked the closure and I couldn't find it .... here's why!

So tell us then. None of us know so maybe enlighten us.

Schools won't be properly open is about the height of what we know for sure. Some in, all out, hybrid, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, LC still on? See, no one knows anything for certain just yet.

Sorry whats with the attitude? Couldnt care less if I've rattled your cage to be honest but just wondering If I've bothered you that much, why waste your time? You're contributing absolutely nothing to the thread with that tone. Why dont you calm down for yourself? Forget I even asked anything at all if what I said is winding you up that much.

• Advertisement

So they should email you to say they have nothing concrete to tell you?

What would the point be in that?

Yes thank you, that would be something. Something...

Sorry whats with the attitude? Couldnt care less if I've rattled your cage to be honest but just wondering If I've bothered you that much, why waste your time? You're contributing absolutely nothing to the thread with that tone. Why dont you calm down for yourself? Forget I even asked anything at all if what I said is winding you up that much.

Well you are thr one whining that they haven't contacted you when they can't actually tell you anything.

You then proceed to tell the entire thread that the dogs on the street know, what exactly do they know though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Going by some of the posts here you'd guess some people hasn't attended school since February 1951.

Tell us what's going on?
    You already know.
    Will tell us that then.

Yes thank you, that would be something. Something...

What would the actual point be in that email though when you already know that there is nothing they can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Every man and his dog knows what's happening. Thats the point.

I'd say they're not contacting ye until they know exactly what the government's line on everything is. Since up until yesterday there was completely different information coming from different government ministers it makes sense. No point in sending out information today that's based on speculation and might not be valid this time tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Well you are thr one whining that they haven't contacted you when they can't actually tell you anything.

You then proceed to tell the entire thread that the dogs on the street know, what exactly do they know though?

And why does that bother you so deeply? Get over yourself will you. You then proceed to get overly arsey as if I have insulted you personally? How about get lost? The thread is literally named "Schools closed until Feb" ( albeit with a ? mark).

Queried wrote: »
    I'd say they're not contacting ye until they know exactly what the government's line on everything is. Since up until yesterday there was completely different information coming from different government ministers it makes sense. No point in sending out information today that's based on speculation and might not be valid this time tomorrow.

Thats fair enough, thanks. Shame others couldnt put it as graciously as that but anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

I know it's a nerve wracking time, horrible to not know where you stand, my daughter is in the same situation right now and it's been a big worry all along. I think this is probably why this roller-coaster is so bad, the uncertainty is awful.

You just have to tell yourself what will be will be and that it's not within your control right now. It will all work out for you and you're not alone in not knowing what's going to happen next. Alternatives will need to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

They have made absolutely no acknowledgement of the current situation.

I think it is nice that they have respected the fact that you are still on holiday.

We weren't due to be back until tomorrow morning and we won't even know the facts by then, so I'd say they would have no reason to be in touch just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m sure it’s bottom of the list of most peoples priorities, but what is the position on pre school fees? I had one in last lockdown on Ecce but we had a small extra fee because it’s a 3.5 hour session. This time I have two in Montessori -
    I sent my second early because I was due my third baby and so pay privately for him as he’s too young for Ecce and it’s not an insignificant fee but I haven’t heard of a commitment to pay childcare providers this time, bar the Ecce rate which we don’t get anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I’m sure it’s bottom of the list of most peoples priorities, but what is the position on pre school fees? I had one in last lockdown on Ecce but we had a small extra fee because it’s a 3.5 hour session. This time I have two in Montessori -
    I sent my second early because I was due my third baby and so pay privately for him as he’s too young for Ecce and it’s not an insignificant fee but I haven’t heard of a commitment to pay childcare providers this time, bar the Ecce rate which we don’t get anyway..

Last time it didn't have to be paid far as I know because they were closed.

Are they only open for essential workers from now. If you're not and essential worker (I actually hate that term now) how could you be expected to pay for a service that you aren't allowed to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

Every person in the country knew there was a possibility of future virus waves last summer yet the department had no plan b. That is a disgrace. Everyone knows there is a possibility of future problems in February/March and I bet they will be as unprepared as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Locotastic wrote: »
    Last time it didn't have to be paid far as I know because they were closed.

Are they only open for essential workers from now. If you're not and essential worker (I actually hate that term now) how could you be expected to pay for a service that you aren't allowed to use?

Mine is fully closed, it’s not a creche, you couldn’t use it full time. Most kids are Ecce and pay a small bit extra for an extra half hour but I pay full whack for one. I don’t want them to go bust, but as far as I can see only commitment is to Ecce fees, so they’d get nothing for my number 2. And the private fees are pretty loaded, I probably pay twice the Ecce rate for my number 2, so they lose a lot and potentially could close if we don’t pay?
    I know people paying full creche fees but encouraged not to send them in unless essential

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

That's Niall Collins saying it's six weeks and then denying he said it, insisting it's three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

That's Niall Collins saying it's six weeks and then denying he said it, insisting it's three.

He can say that he meant from the Christmas holidays in December. Either way it doesn’t matter because they can change things later if they want to, like they’ve done before. It’s a waste of time and energy looking for a “gotcha” moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

vid36 wrote: »
    Every person in the country knew there was a possibility of future virus waves last summer yet the department had no plan b. That is a disgrace. Everyone knows there is a possibility of future problems in February/March and I bet they will be as unprepared as now.

Ah yes but what they will say is that they sent a document last October/November telliing schools to go online. It is itheir fallback, not up to them we got a note therefore any failure is the fault of the teachers.

What it doesn't say is that they contacted schools to find out what we had done and based their document on that. Get an online platform or else, typical Dept Of Ed assistance.

So that is all the help schools have had to my knowledge with getting online, the document that another poster put up here yesterday.

At midterm extra measures were asked for to help and they changed our inspectors to covid inspectors to check for compliance. How does someone coming around and asking me had I see the return to work form help me on the floor. Those inspectors could have been sent to schools where there are shortages in staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Wombatman wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0105/1187701-covid-ireland-politics/

The 30th is a Saturday. Review on Saturday, find out on Sunday, everybody back on Monday.

Typical.

dont get your hopes up about being back on 1st feb - talk in uk of 8-12 week lockdown and more than likely that here too - this new variant is serious and making up about 25% of sampled cases here now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

When do the limits for creches to move to essential workers etc come in as they are still fully open as of this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

“The summer Leaving Cert exams could be delayed by a few weeks if Covid continues to cause serious problems.“

From Rte

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

km79 wrote: »
    “The summer Leaving Cert exams could be delayed by a few weeks if Covid continues to cause serious problems.“

From Rte

It’s hard to see them going ahead at all to be honest. Hope I’m wrong on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Maybe it's time to re-jig the whole leaving cert shambles anyway...

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to re-jig the whole leaving cert shambles anyway...

What's your suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Has any one seen any rumours on JC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

VinLieger wrote: »
    When do the limits for creches to move to essential workers etc come in as they are still fully open as of this morning?

I presume it's from Monday. I have one in creche, he's in the ECCE but stays full time outside those hours, so it's €800 a month in fees. I'll be paying the fee for this week, pro rata, but not for the remainder of the month.

Same for my older two's after school. They haven't opened at all so they won't be paid this month.

I was concerned last March about people being laid off and emailed both providers to say that I was happy to keep paying fees for as long as they kept fully paying their employees. But they came back to say that the state would be paying their staff their full wages (not the PUP, there was a separate plan for private creches) so there was no need to pay our fees. I presume it'll be the same this time around.

That's the only silver lining to all of this. Last year we saved around €8,000 in childcare fees.

• Advertisement

Today with Claire Byrne talking about how huge the essential worker list is and how it basically means everyone and their aunt is an essential worker. They are saying that if essential worker status means your children get to go to school and creche/preschool then pretty much all children would be allowed to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement