Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's Niall Collins saying it's six weeks and then denying he said it, insisting it's three.

We all know it will be six weeks

Schools won't go back until after midterm at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Today with Claire Byrne talking about how huge the essential worker list is and how it basically means everyone and their aunt is an essential worker. They are saying that if essential worker status means your children get to go to school and creche/preschool then pretty much all children would be allowed to.

By hook or by crook;) schrodinger school it is closed but open

• Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Has any one seen any rumours on JC?

The fact it’s not even being mentioned tells us all we need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭bladespin

khalessi wrote: »
    By hook or by crook;) schrodinger school it is closed but open

Or is it????

(sorry couldn't resist the cat joke).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Has any one seen any rumours on JC?

JC could be run at the normal time, it's a longer course, over three years and the new common papers hardly require any actual knowledge, a decent student could pass them all bar the HL Maths, English and Irish by the end of 1sy year. The LC could then be run after, mid-june, to give the extra time.

Having corrected for a good few years now though the paper can be adjusted fairly easily, just get the chief examiners for every subject to sit down and come up with appropriate changes to the options in sections. Very few LC papers have questions that require information from numerous units to answer, maths maybe being an issue but the paper could be carefully set to avoid too much overlap. Marking schemes are adjusted every year to hit the curve anyway!

Predicated grades will be a nightmare after last year, any teacher who was honest will push their grades to the highest they can justify because the kids were screwed over the last time. The real problem is the industry of stress management and paid grinds feeding the anxiety that exists in Ireland now, this seems to get worse every year. Most competent, well prepared students would have been capable of sitting the paper last year, they would have coped with the stress. If they can't then college is going to be a bit of a shock to the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So as a parent of a special needs child I am really torn on what to do with special schools staying open.
    My sons regression throughout the last lockdown put him back so much .. I mean years.
    He has some health issues which would make him vulnerable as does some others in his class .. only 5 kids in his class so a close enough bubble.
    I really wish they kept them closed so I wouldn’t have to make the decision.
    Definitely won’t be getting his bus as that has 4 different special schools mixing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

What's your suggestion?

Individual course work and tests throughout secondary years to an accumulated GPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to re-jig the whole leaving cert shambles anyway...

It's already under review

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It's already under review

It always seems to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It always seems to be...

Look how quickly they can roll out changes when they are under pressure.

So yeah, keep waiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

The government will push for schools to reopen on 31st, we know how hard set it was for them to close them
    Leaving Cert to go ahead IMO as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

C__MC wrote: »
    The government will push for schools to reopen on 31st, we know how hard set it was for them to close them
    Leaving Cert to go ahead IMO as normal

they can push all they like the uk is talking about a 3 month lock down

hard to see cases in icus coming down by the end of this month

sad to say there is already talk of pandemic time ethical decisions to be made as to who will live or die for those coming into hospitals shortly they are unfortunately that overwhelmed...

opening schools to add to that would be mindless, heartless and reckless in the extreme

LC to return as normal next week , education minister to seek approval from government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

harr wrote: »
    LC to return as normal next week , education minister to seek approval from government.

That’s crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I think its entirely down to the severity of this new uk strain, its so much more easily transmitted that if there's any groups of people numbers go bang. That combined with Christmas has really made for a bad situation.

It’s hard to see them going ahead at all to be honest. Hope I’m wrong on that.

Vaccinate them, its 60000 people. Do it in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covit

That’s most sensible option but guess what !
    Sf and co won’t agree!
    And teachers won’t accept it either nicer stay at home do it online !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Individual course work and tests throughout secondary years to an accumulated GPA?

Leaving centers on liveline whinging about all the tests they've been subjected to this year

Normas forward thinking strikes again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Norma saving her arse given she pumped in a couple of million last summer to schools I would think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Where did you hear this?

How many will go back though?

Does this government not realise a lot of Children are scared too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

RTE notification just had same for me, NF looking for approval to bring in 6th years.

Can't see how that would work, surely the point of a lockdown is not to have movement of people? Add in every LC teacher and student in the country, along with creches, essential workers and teachers in Special classes/schools? That's huge movement of people.

Also, I thought 18 yo's would be more vulnerable to catching the virus?

So they will have to get busses up and running again, id imagine most staff will have to come in daily, many from other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

My sister is doing her LC this year and she'd much rather do the work online than go into school. She doesn't mind the online work and is motivated and already missed the last week of school before Christmas due to being a close contact of a confirmed case in school. I know this doesn't suit everyone but its very unfair on students as if they come into contact with covid now there will be no obligation on teachers to provide any additional help.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?[/quote

From the independent..

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    My sister is doing her LC this year and she'd much rather do the work online than go into school. She doesn't mind the online work and is motivated and already missed the last week of school before Christmas due to being a close contact of a confirmed case in school. I know this doesn't suit everyone but its very unfair on students as if they come into contact with covid now there will be no obligation on teachers to provide any additional help.

If this goes ahead you will have half that want to stay at home due to safety concerns
    What then ?
    I knew they would make an absolute mess of this
    Like everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think its entirely down to the severity of this new uk strain, its so much more easily transmitted that if there's any groups of people numbers go bang. That combined with Christmas has really made for a bad situation.

I dont think it has anything to do with the new strain at all.
    Many weeks it was building, totally invisible in schools with children being asymptomatic.
    The whole country beong told repeatedly that it doesnt spread in schools where children are on top of each other. Sure children mustnt get the virus.
    So coming up to Christmas a fair few people decided, you know what, the kids cant get it, lets take them shopping and to visit the in laws, grandparents, cousins in Dublin etc.

Pretending it does not spread in schools has got us where we are.
    A bit of honesty from nphet and the govt would have gone a log way.

Put kids back to school again now and they are basically saying, ah sure the kids cant spread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

So they will have to get busses up and running again, id imagine most staff will have to come in daily, many from other counties.

Basically all staff will be back in our school. Cleaners, teachers, SNAs, building management, etc. That’s not really an issue though.

I’ll be back five days a week if LCs are back but will I have to stream classes to those LCs at home as well is the question. That’s difficult.

• Advertisement

Basically all staff will be back in our school. Cleaners, teachers, SNAs, building management, etc. That’s not really an issue though.

I’ll be back five days a week if LCs are back but will I have to stream classes to those LCs at home as well is the question. That’s difficult.

It gets better
    She is proposing they only come in 3 days a week
    I wonder will she decide which 3 days are safer
    Or
    Will schools have to rearrange all timetables ......
    And I mean all. If L C timetables are rearranged then that affects all other year groups

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement