Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

JDD wrote: »
    I can see how opening school for LCs would be a bit of a logistical nightmare. That being said, it is 55,000 pupils out of 1,000,000 school going children. It's not going to make a massive difference on the spread of the virus, but I'd imagine will be a massive headache for the schools to organise, while also trying to teach 1-5th years remotely.

could always stop remote teaching for years 1-5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

She's an actual teacher. I'm honestly flabbergasted. WTF is wrong with her?

And it seems it's her who is pushing for it too.

Wants them in 3 days a week:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0106/1188012-schools-leaving-cert-education/

Uk take on opening schools from the gaurdian:

Johnson says people should be 'extremely cautious' about chances of schools reopening in February

Johnson lists a series of phone companies that have agreed to offer free data or internet access to some children who will be doing classes from home.

He says pupils may be able to go back to school after the February half-term.

But people should be “extremely cautious” about that timetable, he says.

He confirms that the regulations being passed today will last until 31 March.

The emergence from this lockdown will be “gradual”, he says

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

combat14 wrote: »

Then next years LC is compromised

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Can’t even click and collect now yet Norma is thinking of sending kids back. The whole schools are safe thing seems to be the hill she is willing to die on.

She will have the highest bodycount of any minister in the history of the state.

• Advertisement

Stateofyou wrote: »
    In fairness I think that poster resents the situation it would put them in, not their colleagues. I would feel exactly the same way.

Oh no, I totally understand that, I'm sorry Wordess, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I meant it as more of a 'please remember not to be mad at your colleagues' It is easy - as has been shown many times on this and other threads - to lose focus on who is really at fault here. Not parents, not colleagues, not ourselves, not principals, not students

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Johnson lists a series of phone companies that have agreed to offer free data or internet access to some children who will be doing classes from home.

Crickets from ours of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Twitter is exploding with outraged students who suddenly realize they might have to do some work for the next 6 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Special schools won’t have anyone to help out though - John Boyle on Ireland am indicated transmission rates ( not surprisingly ) in special schools slightly higher than in national schools. Yet all good to open with such high levels of community transmission not to mention the school transport issue.

Special needs kids are usually transported to school by contractors working for Dublin bus usually in mini buses. Are the drivers and SNA's on the buses going to be vaccinated before the kids return because i wouldn't want to be driving a minibus with 7-8 kids onboard with the virus so rampant at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Jaysus! Can you imagine the vitriol out of some posters?!

Teachers only doing 17% of their work, put them on the PUP now, and make them work every holiday between now and 2040!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

km79 wrote: »
    Teachers would have to travel to work every day as normal and teach all their classes remotely from the school building
    No other way around it

Yup and principals will push for all staff to be in at normally working hours id bet

touts wrote: »
    Twitter is exploding with outraged students who suddenly realize they might have to do some work for the next 6 months. might be exposed to a rampant and far more contagious virus, bringing it home to their loved ones.

Fixed it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Why hasn't this topic's title been changed yet to "closed till April"???

Yup and principals will push for all staff to be in at normally working hours id bet

Would actually be entertaining to watch our school wifi try to cope with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Yeah I'd say we'll be in school all day teaching 6th in person and the rest on zoom from our classrooms. So schools are very much open and not closed.

If LC going ahead is this much of a priority they shud all be vaccinated in March/April rather than risk missing exam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Norma is thinking of the money pumped in last summer
    She knows full well schools are gone until April at best, trying to salvage her financial package in some form

alroley wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say we'll be in school all day teaching 6th in person and the rest on zoom from our classrooms. So schools are very much open and not closed.

already got an email from our principal to say school wide open today for teachers to come in etc.

GCSEs and A-levels cancelled in Northern Ireland

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1188019/

from the admin up north that cant decide on anything ... says it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Barbeapapa

My LC student is not afraid of doing some work for the next 6 months. She is afraid of a leaving cert like every other year despite the fact that they have not nearly finished any of the courses for their subjects and now there is even less hope of completing the course and they are still insisting it will be LC as normal. She's a consistent, hard worker but anyone would be daunted by this. The LC exam needs to be adjusted in light of how much school was missed and disrupted, that's all most seem to want.

• Advertisement

already got an email from our principal to say school wide open today for teachers to come in etc.

What?! Come in and do what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,057 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its about reducing numbers, I don't see the issue with exceptions been made to 6th years and special schools. The vast majority of students still won't be on the move, while the most vulnerable and most important in our education system are still looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Barbeapapa wrote: »
    My LC student is not afraid of doing some work for the next 6 months. She is afraid of a leaving cert like every other year despite the fact that they have not nearly finished any of the courses for their subjects and now there is even less hope of completing the course and they are still insisting it will be LC as normal. She's a consistent, hard worker but anyone would be daunted by this. The LC exam needs to be adjusted in light of how much school was missed and disrupted, that's all most seem to want.

You’re absolutely right but wouldn’t be counting on it. DES wouldn’t organise a p*ss up in a brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

JimmyVik wrote: »
    She will have the highest bodycount of any minister in the history of the state.

She won't make any decisions or accept any responsibility. Heard her on the radio before kept saying but we are following HSE/Nephit advice. She'll stick blindly to that and pass the buck, she may as well not be there. In fact lets sack the government and let Tony run the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Special needs kids are usually transported to school by contractors working for Dublin bus usually in mini buses. Are the drivers and SNA's on the buses going to be vaccinated before the kids return because i wouldn't want to be driving a minibus with 7-8 kids onboard with the virus so rampant at the minute.

School transport is a huge concern - I would be worried about schools from the perspective of contacts and community transmission being high . I would worry about special schools in terms of transmission within the school and medically vulnerable children.

Possibly to pick up materials or anything they may need for online teaching?

My principal emailed the same. I won't be going near the place until I know what is happening.

Waterford Whispers News on fire again

"If only we had a year to prepare for this"

Accompanied by picture of government :pac:

“Hospitals, oh we would have had them properly resourced. We wouldn’t have had everything open around Christmas, are you joking me? Schools? We would have had extensive home learning supports in place immediately if we needed to shut them down a second time,"

Move yourself up the ladder for a middle-management position?

Some principals acted disgracefully during the last lockdown, they haven't had personality transplants since.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

I imagine the managerial bodies will be quite happy for this to happen. I haven’t heard a peep from them about the current situation.

• Advertisement

scrubs33 wrote: »
    I imagine the managerial bodies will be quite happy for this to happen. I haven’t heard a peep from them about the current situation.

if college students can do online all year long leaving certs will be able to do it for a couple of weeks too... whats the big deal crack on with it they are not exactly babies....

health and safety has be number 1 at present the government has lost control of this virus at present....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement