Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

Apart from it being a ludicrous idea regarding the safety of those LC students, teachers and other staff needed to implement it - it could also delay everything else opening up at the end of January.

Only a full lockdown for three weeks could allow transmission to slow down enough to hopefully allow us back to schools/work/shops etc. by end January. If this plan is implemented then it keeps transmission going, numbers won't drop fast enough and a 1 Feb opening might be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

rusty cole wrote: »
    not a hope would I be cutting my contacts if the kids and indeed the leaving cert age are knocking around and then outside sharing cans of coke and mobile tik tok phone videos.

Why? Because they could be spreading it you think you should be too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

This years LC students really got a ****ty deal. They already missed half of last year, and will miss quite a bit of this year too. They should really be in revision mode now, but in my daughter's year, the only subject that's completely covered is chemistry. Quite unfair to expect them to sit an exam, that's before the obvious health risks. Quite bleak.

To think I was very optimistic on the 1/1/21......

I don't envy the Gov making these decisions, is it the correct decision? I don't know TBH

Lots of schools aren't setup for proper remote teaching and as you said this year's LC students have had a far sh!t time of it and are already way behind where they should be. Will be very difficult to judge them either by predictive testing and very unfair to make them sit the exams.

If my child was sitting their LC this year I think I would be pushing the school now for them to repeat 6th year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Tippex wrote: »
    I can see the Unions pulling the plug on the ridiculous plan to only have LC students in schools.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps this is what Norma and the others anticipate will happen. That way they can put the blame on the various different unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭bladespin

combat14 wrote: »
    there is absolutely no reason why anyone needs to go into schools at this time

Jeez, shoot the messenger, it just flashed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

This years LC students really got a ****ty deal. They already missed half of last year, and will miss quite a bit of this year too. They should really be in revision mode now, but in my daughter's year, the only subject that's completely covered is chemistry. Quite unfair to expect them to sit an exam, that's before the obvious health risks. Quite bleak.

To think I was very optimistic on the 1/1/21......

This ....... and everything they have done in 6th year has been hampered by Covid restrictions. No lockers, no after school study, restricted movement around the school, no sport etc. Way worse off than the 19/20 6th years as far as quality and quantity of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

eviltwin wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous decision for everyone. The LC students, staff and teachers who are going to be at risk and the students at home who now get a piss poor version of remote learning. Not to mention the teachers who are somehow going to have to work out the logistics of teaching students on site as well as at home.

And to think Foley is a teacher herself, what is wrong with the woman? :confused:

She’s a feckin eejit. Shouldn’t be a minister at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

combat14 wrote: »
    there is absolutely no reason why anyone needs to go into schools at this time

Do you not get the sense that this is being done as they may actually keep most students out of school until post March?

Would make sense to the gov to try and get LC students in school if they expect long closures - at least then they can avoid the exam fiasco again.

That's just my own guess - who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

NetChat101 wrote: »
    Apart from it being a ludicrous idea regarding the safety of those LC students, teachers and other staff needed to implement it - it could also delay everything else opening up at the end of January.

Only a full lockdown for three weeks could allow transmission to slow down enough to hopefully allow us back to schools/work/shops etc. by end January. If this plan is implemented then it keeps transmission going, numbers won't drop fast enough and a 1 Feb opening might be impossible.

Not sure where 3 weeks come from - we are now worse (spread wise) than March last year. Did that not take 12 weeks to reduce? I don't imagine some magic difference will prevent the same again - especially with a worse strain about.

Maybe why they are so desperate to keep the LC students in (Not justifying just guessing at the mindset here)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Wombatman wrote: »
    This ....... and everything they have done in 6th year has been hampered by Covid restrictions. No lockers, no after school study, restricted movement around the school, no sport etc. Way worse off than the 19/20 6th years as far as quality and quantity of education.

No books in school.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Norma speaking at press conference now. The rage I feel when I see/hear her is unreal. She is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

Norma Foley cannot string a full sentence together jesus wept get on with it FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Looks like special schools , special classes and LC will be back on site. So much for reducing contacts and staying safe .

sounds like a bull**** artist here now norma based on what I know and what has been said on this thread. She has said nothing of note

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Norma Foley will address the media briefing, this should be interesting.

What time is that on at? Assume it's on RTE News Now.

Yes questions from journos now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,057 ✭✭✭✭rob316

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Looks like special schools , special classes and LC will be back on site. So much for reducing contacts and staying safe .

Ya they only closed primary and 5 years of secondary. That doesn't reduce anything sure

Norma Foley absolutely waffled with nothing of substance holy ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

not a hope would I be cutting my contacts if the kids and indeed the leaving cert age are knocking around and then outside sharing cans of coke and mobile tik tok phone videos.

Are you Junior Cert age ? My god, a year into this and you come out with that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Live on VM3

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Didn’t see that one coming. I think they are under huge pressure for the LC. No doubt the kids have been screwed having missed a chunk of the end of 5th year. Then depending on the schools some students may have missed a lot more time with either being sick or lack of staff. I believe staffing has been a problem for a lot of schools.

While I see the merit in wanting the 6th years back I just don’t see how it’s workable. It’s huge pressure on the schools and if teachers are on site teaching how can they simultaneously deliver online to the other years?
    Add to that and the teachers who have their kids home themselves

MM "Schools are safe".

faceplant.gif

Bare faced lies from Norma

This mantra of schools being safe needs to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

jrosen wrote: »
    Didn’t see that one coming. I think they are under huge pressure for the LC. No doubt the kids have been screwed having missed a chunk of the end of 5th year. Then depending on the schools some students may have missed a lot more time with either being sick or lack of staff. I believe staffing has been a problem for a lot of schools.

While I see the merit in wanting the 6th years back I just don’t see how it’s workable. It’s huge pressure on the schools and if teachers are on site teaching how can they simultaneously deliver online to the other years?
    Add to that and the teachers who have their kids home themselves

Especially in remote areas with next to non existent access to a strong, reliable internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

RoryMac wrote: »
    I don't envy the Gov making these decisions, is it the correct decision? I don't know TBH

Lots of schools aren't setup for proper remote teaching and as you said this year's LC students have had a far sh!t time of it and are already way behind where they should be. Will be very difficult to judge them either by predictive testing and very unfair to make them sit the exams.

If my child was sitting their LC this year I think I would be pushing the school now for them to repeat 6th year

There's already talk in the house of repeating, we'll see what happens on that one.

I also don't envy the government having to make the decisions, there's no good ones, only different levels of crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya they only closed primary and 5 years of secondary. That doesn't reduce anything sure

We all have our concerns and areas which we are interested in. If you are happy good for you .

It turns out Norma absolutely loves the sound of her own voice. And it appears that she actually believes this bull**** she's spouting. It troubles me deeply but she is reminding me of Trump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Ridiculous post. 2 wrongs don`t make a right.

If schools are safe why are we closing them? Couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement

What does Norma find so funny that she has to smirk all the time??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement