Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I can see the unions directing members not to go in similar to what occurred in England and which forced Boris to close them after one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Amirani wrote: »
    On this whole idea of schools being safe based on public health data/analysis. When did we last have schools open while having over 6000 cases a day and current levels of community transmission? Not sure we've been able to test things at this level of disease, but I guess 6th year students can be guinea pigs...

Technically it could be if every student sat in class with a mask on and never moved but reality it is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wombatman wrote: »
    If schools are safe why are we closing them? Couldn't make it up.

TO REDUCE THE MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE

Why is that so hard to understand for some on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Norma going to be on Newstalk before the end of this show currently on. Get your texts in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm telling you here and now Norma is gone.

I've just watched that news briefing and it was a car crash.

She said about 50 times that schools are safe.

No they aren't + if NPHET are saying so not fit for purpose anymore.

All international research showing it spreads significantly among children as much as anyone else especially this new strain.

Michael has admitted that 42% of travellers from UK that tested positive have the new strain.

The schools won't be open Norma + Michael are dreaming.

It just suits them to blame unions but not themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

My girlfriend works for a special needs school.
    We have no one to mind our kid as our creche chosee to close until the end of the month along with several other creches in our area.

This is a complete mess. I'm also classed as an essential worker.

Anyone here in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

appledrop wrote: »

All international research showing it spreads significantly among children as much as anyone else especially this new strain.

Michael has admitted that 42% of travellers from UK that tested positive have the new strain.

NPHET at their press briefing Monday showed age breakdown of current infections, the primary school children sector and younger had a much lower incidence of infection than any other section of society. Followed by the secondary school age bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I found myself telling my JC student he would be learning from home for the next few weeks as it is too dangerous for him to be in school and then turning around to his brother in LC and telling him it ok for him to go to school. They pointed it out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Are learning support classes in mainstream schools included in the special schools which are to remain open?

If you mean primary school learning support. That can be done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

So we are all back in Monday to cater to the one group of students who could well work from home, in the height of this pandemic, what a bunch of incompetent, uncaring, asshats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    We have no one to mind our kid as our creche chosee to close until the end of the month along with several other creches in our area.

Not much consolation but there's mention of this kind of circumstance during the announcement, apparently you can 'bubble up' with another household for childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This is an utter mess. Why 3 days, surely 5 days would be easier to run from a timetabling point of view?
    How many days can Leaving Cert students attend class?
    Leaving Cert students should continue to attend school for three days a week from 11 January.

How many LC students are there in Ireland, 55,000?

What's making them immune from the deadly virus and stopping them from mixing with dozens of others from dozens of households and bringing the lethal virus back home to Mom and Dad?

Is the virus not highly contagious for 3 days, but if you're talking about 5 days then it is?

How long will this 3 day week last before the Government flop again and close the schools fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

bladespin wrote: »
    Not much consolation but there's mention of this kind of circumstance during the announcement, apparently you can 'bubble up' with another household for childcare.

Handy if you have another household to bubble up with I presume .

Empty schools are safe, she just omitted the word empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

I agree with the part about the unions but I don't think you're right about Norma being gone unfortunately. MM is repeating the schools are safe bs too. He's quite deferential to her as well, if you notice. Only when they have students and staff suing for having acquired long covid in school, will they sit up and take notice. I also think the Sec Gen of the Dept of Ed and the whole team in there must be propagating this message. Norma only has so much power, that team are driving these decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Basically throw your kids in with the neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Oh I concur it definitely is a political move from the government but I think it will backfire spectacularly.

One thing I don't get is aren't kids in special need schools more susceptible to illnesses and many have underlying conditions. Isn't it dangerous sending them into a potentially letal environment like a classroom? Also how will they get to school as presumably school buses aren't going to be running?

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I found myself telling my JC student he would be learning from home for the next few weeks as it is too dangerous for him to be in school and then turning around to his brother in LC and telling him it ok for him to go to school. They pointed it out too.

The narrative is that the schools are safe but they want to minimize the numbers out and about, hence the closure.
    Doubt they'll but it but if they do then consider a career in politics.

Basically throw your kids in with the neighbours.

Grandparents, childminders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

It's not a bubble when somebody leaves the bubble goes to work interacts with a principal, 60 6th years and comes home.

• Advertisement

It's not a bubble when somebody leaves the bubble goes to work interacts with a principal, 60 6th years and comes home.

It's not my idea either, just read it on the RTE app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Don't creche's HAVE to take children of essential workers? I mean, I know they're private enterprises, but if they don't have to close under public health law, aren't they breaching their contract with you if they just close outright?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

So we are all back in Monday to cater to the one group of students who could well work from home, in the height of this pandemic, what a bunch of incompetent, uncaring, asshats

All you teachers should send emails in to your unions.

This is just insane. I don't know what to say anymore.

] I also think the Sec Gen of the Dept of Ed and the whole team in there must be propagating this message. Norma only has so much power, that team are driving these decisions.

In relation to this Ministers have often gone against the advice from Sec Gens and their teams, because obviously the Minister knows better:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    How many LC students are there in Ireland, 55,000?

What's making them immune from the deadly virus and stopping them from mixing with dozens of others from dozens of households and bringing the lethal virus back home to Mom and Dad?

Is the virus not highly contagious for 3 days, but if you're talking about 5 days then it is?

How long will this 3 day week last before the Government flop again and close the schools fully?

whats making them immune and even more serious giving it to everyone else .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

It does indeed seem that Foley at al are hoping someone else will call time on this and they can claim they tried. The unions should put the ball back into their court by insisting everyone who attends school is tested once a week (naturally this isn't going to happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

It's not my idea either, just read it on the RTE app.

Ah yeah! I know that. Not having a go. Just making the point. Sorry if it came across that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Creche will be open for essential workers children so I think you will be ok your creche should still take the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Grandparents, childminders etc.

there are no child minders at the moment the rules are no one is allowed in your house we are trying to flatten the very steep curve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Ya unfortunately I can't see anyone wanting to take him because of covid haha
    And the 2 or 3 people that would take him are also essential.

Absolute mess of a situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement