Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not sure how wise this 3 days a week move is but a weeks a long time in politics. Foley comes across as pure stubbornness. I suspect a u turn come Friday.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

Just shy of 8000 cases today and unfortunately 17 deaths: not good in relation to todays debate around schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Aegir wrote: »
    Then why only three days per week?

because covid will be in the school the other 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭micks_address

Not sure how on one hand Micheal can say this new strain is very dangerous while on the other hand say the schools are safe based on experience with old variants?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

combat14 wrote: »
    we could need a separate thread or poll for norma needs to go yet

Nah, what's the point....the entire cabinet are useless! From "15th count" Donnelly, to "Justice Woulfe" McEntee, Simon "Covid18" Harris...and Leo "the leak"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Covit

Aegir wrote: »
    Then why only three days per week?

Read there first line
    Damd If u do. Damd if u don’t !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

I think no matter what decision was made today it was a case of being damned if you do and damned if you don't, personally I think a happy medium has been reached, the option is there for the LC to go ahead and special needs kids can go back to school aswell, as long as this can proceed in a safe enough environment then I don't see a problem

How is it a safe environment. Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭micks_address

I don’t think enough is known about this variant. Who says 2 metres is a safe distance for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or, more specifically, how is this arrangement much safer for the 6th years and their teachers than if the whole school was going back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

It’s very clear a new risk assessment needs to be carried out for schools. We are now in a totally different context to the reopening in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

7k cases today and we are all back next week, its ****ing madness

Foley about to come on Newstalk

Get your texts in. 53016
    Be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1346876856377749504

Reading comments online I think public support would actually be there for unions to pull plant on this
    Parents don’t want the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Lots of young kids and teens around today, is there any point closing the schools if parents are just going to let their kids mix with groups of up to ten and not even wearing face masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Thread title should be changed to " Schools closed until February, Sort of "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

I don't get why all the news headlines are saying schools are closed. They're not closed, they're open. Government are a disgrace in how they're handling this, 7,836 cases today and close contacts not being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Yeah this is the thing. All major news outlets leading with schools closed. Post primary schools across the country will be open from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Norma Foley on Drivetime there. It was put to her would she herself go in and teach 25 or 30 17, 18 and 19 year olds in one room during the height of a pandemic. And yet still kept saying the evidence is schools are safe. How on earth can anyone say this with a straight face??
    She also mentioned that last data from schools was presented by Philip Nolan on Dec 22nd, when cases were at 600/700 cases. So basically before any of this went out of control. There is no way any mathematician/scientist or politician can say schools would be safe with that amount of virus around to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Of course Norma's not going to be popular

She's making teachers have to work

Some like special needs teachers when others will be at home

You might want to put just a little thought into what you want to say before blubbering out nonsense like that.

Let's consider what we are being told for a second. Teachers are being asked to come into class to teach LC students 3 days per week. They are also supposed to somehow work around whatever timetable to have online lessons with the other 5 years. So, the whole timetable get's changed for LC students for a period of time and teachers are supposed to juggle all the other classes online. Many schools have garbage broadband access and teachers are not allowed use their personal laptops/pads for school because of GDPR. Ignore the fact that an enormous amount of teachers will have no childcare to care for their own kids who are supposed to at home for online schooling lessons.

Now, please try tell me that "making teachers have to work" in this context is a good idea. Norma is an absolute moron and either doesn't have a clue, or more likely is just a puppet who will pay come election time, if not before.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Are teachers permitted to conduct online learning in schools for other years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

I wonder would Norma come on the bus (special needs) with me Monday morning?

Limited social distancing, Very limited ventilation and no masks.

Genuinely concerned about the chances of getting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

And it gets better.

Rte reports that new proposal is that Dail will only meet once a week in January + only in massive Convention Centre with 45 max so about 50 m between each other.

Meanwhile LC will be in 3 times a week with 24 plus teacher in tiny classroom.

This is not over yet, not by a long shot.

Foley has lost the plot.

The virus is 10 times more rampant now than when they closed. I actually think she's trolling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Unions are saying that they didn't meet with Foley.

They're not going to be left holding the bag here, there's no option but to actually take the industrial action that they said they were going to take last term.

E36Ross wrote: »

Surely buses can't be running? Parents will have to bring kids in themselves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I don't understand why LC students are going back. It's only January. If it was March /April fair enough. Use Zoom etc, for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I don't understand why LC students are going back. It's only January. If it was March /April fair enough. Use Zoom etc, for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Seeing multiple notices and messages from principals of schools with special classes attached, that they won't be opening next week and will take the week to decide what happens going forward.

Be interesting to see how the DES responds to this instant revolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

E36Ross wrote: »

My son gets a bus to school and if and that’s a big if I do send him in at all on Monday it will be me driving him in.
    3 different special needs schools are on the one bus .. madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You might want to put just a little thought into what you want to say before blubbering out nonsense like that.

Let's consider what we are being told for a second. Teachers are being asked to come into class to teach LC students 3 days per week. They are also supposed to somehow work around whatever timetable to have online lessons with the other 5 years. So, the whole timetable get's changed for LC students for a period of time and teachers are supposed to juggle all the other classes online. Many schools have garbage broadband access and teachers are not allowed use their personal laptops/pads for school because of GDPR. Ignore the fact that an enormous amount of teachers will have no childcare to care for their own kids who are supposed to at home for online schooling lessons.

Now, please try tell me that "making teachers have to work" in this context is a good idea. Norma is an absolute moron and either doesn't have a clue, or more likely is just a puppet who will pay come election time, if not before.

If anything it probably causes more chaos like you have said.

What’s stopping teachers having a zoom room and all secondary students sticking to their regular timetables? Now they(teachers) are expected to what, drive in for a class and go home to jump online...

Have a list of teachers rooms and off they go. The lack of planning and presence from Norma and Co is nothing short of a disgrace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement