Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

thomas 123 wrote: »
    If anything it probably causes more chaos like you have said.

What’s stopping teachers having a zoom room and all secondary students sticking to their regular timetables? Now they(teachers) are expected to what, drive in for a class and go home to jump online...

Have a list of teachers rooms and off they go. The lack of planning and presence from Norma and Co is nothing short of a disgrace.

Yeah it actually creates a lot of issues in regards to the provision of remote classes for other year groups. I believe a full online timetable this time would have worked far better than in March.

Online learning is crap but a halfway house job makes everything infinitely worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Kieran Cuddihy asked how are teachers going to plan teaching multi years in secondary.

Her answer...”sure, that’s quite easy”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Kieran Cuddihy asked how are teachers going to plan teaching multi years in secondary.

Her answer...”sure, that’s quite easy”

Almost as easy as making a plan where a school closure situation to occur again... oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

LuasSimon wrote: »
    If schools and teachers were any good or genuinely interested in their students , they would have a perfectly functioning online portal operating . A lot of teachers are just bone lazy .

There's a business opportunity for you Simon. Can you have a portal operational by Monday please?

Yeah it actually creates a lot of issues in regards to the provision of remote classes for other year groups. I believe a full online timetable this time would have worked far better than in March.

Online learning is crap but a halfway house job makes everything infinitely worse.

- Procure zoom or any other similar software
    - train teachers in online learning best practices
    - make a standard plan for all schools to follow

Why was that not done?

Am I losing the plot or is this the tail wagging the dog for the second time in a row?

Special Advisors out their ears and nobody thought of that?

What did teachers get? - a 15 page doc a 1st year student could have thrown together.

Please for the love of god someone tell me ye got more guidance than that?

• Advertisement

Foley asked repeatedly if she or any cabinet members asked CMO if it was safe to have LC students back.

She never answered the question. Asked over and over and she avoided and stuttered her way along but never answered it.

She didn't ask....simple as

I can't understand this mentality and obsession of keeping schools open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Why was that not done?

Am I losing the plot or is this the tail wagging the dog for the second time in a row?

What did teachers get? - a 15 page doc a 1st year student could have thrown together.

The DES "works" in mysterious ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

TheTorment wrote: »
    Foley asked repeatedly if she or any cabinet members asked CMO if it was safe to have LC students back.

She never answered the question. Asked over and over and she avoided and stuttered her way along but never answered it.

Sarah McInerney absolutely destroyed Norma.

The DES "works" in mysterious ways.

I feel for ye mate. Genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Political and financial gains
    Martin and co put millions in last july

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

time for teachers to go out disgraceful how they and LC students are being treated

Great!! Missed it. Can you give a quick summary?

Is it to be found anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I still can't understand what is happening tbh, the one group of students that are of college going age are told not to work from home. Its utterly baffling and if the unions don't come down on this on top of a 40% reduction in cleaning i don't know what to say. Nearly 8k cases today with 17 deaths and they are playing ****ing politics

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Will be on their website later/tomorrow I'd think

Why was that not done?

We got great training in our school, workshops the whole lot. Provided in-house by teachers. But we have great facilities & each student has a device etc. Technology is pushed big time. However, The vast, vast majority of schools are not as equipped or even near it.

There is no standardised plan you are correct.

Would like this too.

We got great training in our school, workshops the whole lot. Provided in-house by teachers. But we have great facilities & each student has a device etc. Technology is pushed big time. However, The vast, vast majority of schools are not as equipped or even near it.

There is no standardised plan you are correct.

And I’d imagine your school spearheaded the training right? Or was it department directed? - just curious.

And I’d imagine your school spearheaded the training right? Or was it department directed? - just curious.

No completely spearheaded by the school. Unilateral. Still a fair bit of confusion amongst staff but we have come a long ways since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Good. She bloody deserves it. I posted this on the other thread, so it is a repost, kinda. But ...

So in today's news:
    • 7,836 new cases
    • 105 new hospitalisations in the last 24hrs
    • Case numbers not expected to reach their peak - at much higher levels - for another two weeks
    • Numbers in ICU are up by 12 (to 88)
    • All counties on an upward trajectory
    • Escalating mortality inevitable
    • 'hunker down and stay home'

Also in today's news:
    • Open the schools

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/...spital-health/

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Good. She bloody deserves it. I posted this on the other thread, so it is a repost, kinda. But ...

So in today's news:
    • 7,836 new cases
    • 105 new hospitalisations in the last 24hrs
    • Case numbers not expected to reach their peak - at much higher levels - for another two weeks
    • Numbers in ICU are up by 12 (to 88)
    • All counties on an upward trajectory
    • Escalating mortality inevitable
    • 'hunker down and stay home'

Also in today's news:
    • Open the schools

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/...spital-health/

You can’t walk into a shop with a prior appointment to pick up an item, but you can sit in a room with 30 lads/ladies and go home to your family. That one, while simple, stood out the most to me.

Along with the simple message is stay home... unless you are a 6th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

so it is perfectly safe for 17-19 years old to go into school but not safe for same age group to attend class in college ..

beggars belief

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

You can’t walk into a shop with a prior appointment to pick up an item, but you can sit in a room with 30 lads/ladies and go home to your family. That one, while simple, stood out the most to me.

Along with the simple message is stay home... unless you are a 6th year.

Or school staff member

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why was that not done?

Realistically, how many households do you think can follow that too? Any school work most of us will do with our kids would be at the end of the day after working ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Or school staff member

Or a child with special needs.

Wasn't it this same shower that were on about closing special schools about a year ago? I remember my friends working in special schools were raging about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Norma Foley is a disgrace. She has let down teachers and pupils. Honestly when she was appointed minister for education I had never heard of her before but I thought her being a teacher she would understand the issues faced. How wrong I was about this. She only cares about her salary and pension. The fact is no-one should be in school next week - Norma and crew should have spent the summer coming up with a standard remote learning plan.
    I feel so sorry for any exam year pupil. Sadly they are in for a worse year than the exam kids last year.

Realistically, how many households do you think can follow that too? Any school work most of us will do with our kids would be at the end of the day after working ourselves.

Speaking only about secondary school students only here, who should be quite capable (Technically) to be fair - that being said of course having access to a computer or tablet may not be guaranteed however I’d imagine 90% plus have a smartphone which while not exactly ergonomic or ideal would allow them to listen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Would it have been a better idea for the Inspectorate to have spent their time coming up with a plan, rather than visiting schools as some half ar$ed COVID inspectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Would it have been a better idea for the Inspectorate to have spent their time coming up with a plan, rather than visiting schools as some half ar$ed COVID inspectors?

I dont know what you mean, I for one felt 100% safe after I was asked did I watch the video and fill out the return to work form and watch said inspector walk off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Don't people realise that just when they're needed most, healthcare staff will be unavailable because they now have to stay at home and homeschool?

Lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Speaking only about secondary school students only here, who should be quite capable (Technically) to be fair - that being said of course having access to a computer or tablet may not be guaranteed however I’d imagine 90% plus have a smartphone which while not exactly ergonomic or ideal would allow them to listen in.

There's about 370k 2nd level students in ireland. A consertive estimate from yourself suggests your own idea isn't suitable for approx 37k.

I'd be surprised if anyone was to pursue something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement