Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

LuasSimon wrote: »
    If schools and teachers were any good or genuinely interested in their students , they would have a perfectly functioning online portal operating . A lot of teachers are just bone lazy .

In fairness, I'm not sure how they'll manage teaching LC students for a full day in school, while also being available to and setting work for all other years.

No matter how much preparation was done, I don't think anyone could have foreseen this decision and the logistics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

There's about 370k 2nd level students in ireland. A consertive estimate from yourself suggests your own idea isn't suitable for approx 37k.

I'd be surprised if anyone was to pursue something like that.

Please don’t misconstrue my very rough low ball estimate on mobile phone ownership among teens - let’s pretend that these “10%” of households/students don’t have access to any other device, are you suggesting the other 90% don’t get any form of online learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If all leaving cert students and teachers are wearing masks why can’t they attend school 3 days a week for now .
    Teachers are only interested in getting out of going to work same as always . Nurses are true frontline hero’s where as teachers are more like frontline spoilt brats .

Didn't nurses go on strike 2 years ago, putting lives at risk and adding thousands of days to the waiting lists?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/nurses-strike-has-extended-waiting-lists-says-martin-1.250654

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

NetChat101 wrote: »
    In fairness, I'm not sure how they'll manage teaching LC students for a full day in school, while also being available to and setting work for all other years.

No matter how much preparation was done, I don't think anyone could have foreseen this decision and the logistics of it.

But Norma said “it’s quite easy” from her own experience.

/sarcasm/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Very easy spot the trolls these days. They used to be more nuanced and play the long game. Terrible efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0106/1188012-schools-leaving-cert-education/

Alan Kelly says that Dr Tony confirmed to him this evening that NPHET were not consulted
    Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Just reading down through a few articles and one thing that struck me was the full reopening of Youthreach programmes being a pretty unusual decision.

I suppose they're going for the disadvantaged angle therefore keeping them open but several age groups of teenagers up to 21 year olds on site each day will make for quite a risky environment for both students and staff members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Minister for Culture Catherine Martin’s officials have engaged with RTÉ, TG4 and the Department of Education about restarting learning from home programmes immediately.
    However, the schools plan is likely to meet with opposition from some trade unions. Andy Pike, head of education at the trade union Forsa - which represents most special needs assistants, said reopening special schools and classes as normal “presents challenges that just cannot be met”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-cabinet-agrees-to-keep-schools-closed-for-january-in-most-challenging-phase-of-all-1.4451482

If all leaving cert students and teachers are wearing masks why can’t they attend school 3 days a week for now .
    Teachers are only interested in getting out of going to work same as always . Nurses are true frontline hero’s where as teachers are more like frontline spoilt brats .

Hey pal, people are stressed enough especially some teachers facing into this and no one needs your name calling crap. Have some decency.

Another thought on the leaving certs:

I think they are going to feel obliged to go in with the threat/chance of predicted grades hanging over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

km79 wrote: »

Alan Kelly says that Dr Tony confirmed to him this evening that NPHET were not consulted
    Wow

So the Government/Norma Foley has lied on national television? It's disgraceful...Norma Foley should resign if that is the case....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Teachers are clearly not frontline. The frontline HAVE to go to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

km79 wrote: »

Wow

That is absolutely incredible. Why not consult them on an issue of such importance?

So the Government/Norma Foley has lied on national television? It's disgraceful...Norma Foley should resign if that is the case....

Would one not have to turn up to work to be able
    to resign? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

So, we have CMO saying he was not consulted and the Unions saying they were not consulted but received a phonecall today

Interesting. Her consulting with stakeholders is as honest as schools are safe

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭boetstark

rob316 wrote: »
    TO REDUCE THE MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE

Why is that so hard to understand for some on this thread.

Still 60000 students plus transport services, teachers, admin and catering staff. All of these going back into homes and communities. Not an insignificant number.
    If it's all about reducing numbers 200k construction workers working and circulating until Friday evening.
    It's a very unfair stereotype of stupid Irish but there are still people in high profile positions who conform to that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

But Norma said “it’s quite easy” from her own experience.

/sarcasm/

Was she teaching during the last pandemic?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There were 156 positive cases on May 8th when the Leaving Cert was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Maybe if online learning had been a bit more of a success first time around then we could have just easily reverted back to it again this time around.

Unfortunately there was no consistency with learning and supports so now we have a patched together education offering for some.

Crazy stuff, proper planning seriously amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Locotastic wrote: »
    Maybe if online learning had been a bit more of a success first time around then we could have just easily reverted back to it again this time around.

Unfortunately there was no consistency with learning and supports so now we have a patched together education offering for some.

Crazy stuff, proper planning seriously amiss.

Agreed. There is no standard for schools to adhere to regarding remote learning. As far as I can see there is also no consequences for schools or teachers who don't want to engage in remote learning so we are back to the same mess as what happened between March and April. It's very unfair on those teachers who adapted and worked hard to keep their classes educated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

Deeec wrote: »
    Norma Foley is a disgrace. She has let down teachers and pupils. Honestly when she was appointed minister for education I had never heard of her before but I thought her being a teacher she would understand the issues faced. How wrong I was about this. She only cares about her salary and pension. The fact is no-one should be in school next week - Norma and crew should have spent the summer coming up with a standard remote learning plan.
    I feel so sorry for any exam year pupil. Sadly they are in for a worse year than the exam kids last year.

You’d never heard of her before possibly because she was only elected to the Dáil in February 2020 and was made Minister for Education 4 months later. It speaks volumes that someone with such a lack of experience was given such a role in the middle of a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

There were 156 positive cases on May 8th when the Leaving Cert was cancelled.

That was more to do with the run up to the exams, again poor planning and lack of any leadership for making arrangements. They were under pressure to give students an answer as to what was happening.

There was 214 cases on 1st September when most schools were reopened and they still opened so case numbers like that aren't a factor.

Murple wrote: »
    You’d never heard of her before possibly because she was only elected to the Dáil in February 2020 and was made Minister for Education 4 months later. It speaks volumes that someone with such a lack of experience was given such a role in the middle of a time like this.

Lol that would explain why I hadn't heard of her. It is baffling how she got such an important role.

Lol that would explain why I hadn't heard of her. It is baffling how she got such an important role.

It’s not at all - she’s from a political family, I made and removed a comment not to derail the thread - but a quick Wikipedia search will tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

That is absolutely incredible. Why not consult them on an issue of such importance?

why bother? nhpet are in a position where they have to say shut everything and stay inside.

Cronyism.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    It’s not at all - she’s from a political family, I made and removed a comment not to derail the thread - but a quick Wikipedia search will tell you all you need to know.

Yeah I know her background but she should have not got this role given the unique situation we find ourselves in. The role required someone strong and with experience. She is out of her depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Murple wrote: »

Regarding the dearth of female talent in FF ranks certainly...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

timeToLive wrote: »
    why bother? nhpet are in a position where they have to say shut everything and stay inside.

Actually previously they have said schools should be open. If now they are saying it’s dangerous and they weren’t consulted on allowing 60,000+ pupils, teachers etc. to go into schools from Monday, something is not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Link to Norma Foleys interview on RTE Drivetime for those who missed it:

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21890779

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement