Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I agree that there should be standards set by the DES for remote learning and that there should be consequences for schools not fulfilling these.
    It's grossly unfair to the staff who did tremendous work last lockdown to be tarnished with the "lazy" brush.
    So, if a national standard was in place, itd be clearer for all.
    Also, does anyone know..the 3 days for LCs.
    Is it up to school to choose these three days? Are all students in on the same 3 days or is it staggered?
    Again, it seems to be left to individual schools to manage this.
    Yet another job for principal/dp/year head/secretary to contend with.

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

Special schools to remain open though. That's a good thing and fair play to the government on that call.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Special schools to remain open though. That's a good thing and fair play to the government on that call.

Except those students are often the most medically vulnerable.Most can't social distance, many can't wear masks and
    the SNAs and teachers will have to be in close contact, even performing intimate care for some. And it now transpires that NPHET weren't consulted at all about the re-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I agree but it is yet another area of double standards by the DES. They are refusing to sanction new special schools, and are actively looking to close some existing schools, yet here they are prioritising special schools in a cynical attempt to garner public favour.
    There are many children with additional needs in mainstream classes with no additional provision being made for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covit

Anyone that genuinely what’s to do there leaving will be glad of the 3 days .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Link to Norma Foleys interview on RTE Drivetime for those who missed it:

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21890779

She basicially gave the exact same interview at live press conference today.

All she keeps saying is schools are safe from old data up to 22nd Dec.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Covit wrote: »

Unless they contract Covid, get ill, transmit it to family members. People need to learn that it's not just dangerous to older people and those with underlying conditions. Long Covid is a very real condition and has the potential to persist for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I agree but it is yet another area of double standards by the DES. They are refusing to sanction new special schools, and are actively looking to close some existing schools, yet here they are prioritising special schools in a cynical attempt to garner public favour.
    There are many children with additional needs in mainstream classes with no additional provision being made for them.

I’d counter that assertion and argue that special ed has been thrown under a bus for political gain given transmission rates in special schools are higher than other primary schools , the vast majority use school transport , SD is none existent , they include much higher numbers of medically vulnerable children and typically have higher care needs including intimate care. Without a doubt special schools should have been prioritised for a return to school but given community transmission is currently so high should be closed on health and safety grounds.

she's as capable as Helen McEntee is at keeping to the restrictions..WTF was she up to as well...has she got the HSE tracking APP then herself> when was Helen tested and diagnosed?? all heads in the sand now I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Why three days? Waffle answer as to why

Norma Foley TD: skills bull****ting artist and hide and seek trophy winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Covit wrote: »

Until they move to predicted grades and daddy has already brought covid to nanna who had nobody else to mind her and ended up in hospital(if they decide she’s worth saving(ethical prioritization)).

This is the reality of what we are dealing with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

There are ZERO winners from this decision

Parents still have to superivise remote learning for most of their kids while trying to WFM
    LCs, SEN kids and teachers are still being put at risk by having to go in
    And the leaving cert still won't go ahead in June.

khalessi wrote: »
    Why three days? Waffle answer as to why

Norma Foley TD: skills bull****ting artist and hide and seek trophy winner

"I have worked for years with schools and leaving cert students"...eh OK so why are you running this **** show?? you got out because??????

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

I have 4 kids all under 10. 5 hours sleep is a good nights sleep to me and my husband

Different story doing night shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Definitely think next week should be a no go on returning to school
    Perhaps the following week for Leaving Certs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

What the feick are NEPET doing presenting data on schools from the 22nd of December at the cabinet sub committee meeting yesterday. How can anyone make a decision based on that when things have changed so much. Sur, why are we in Level 5 at all, the figures on the 22nd weren't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭boetstark

timeToLive wrote: »
    why bother? nhpet are in a position where they have to say shut everything and stay inside.

Because we had a bumbling fool of a Taoiseach and clueless minister for education lie to us on national TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

C__MC wrote: »
    Definitely think next week should be a no go on returning to school
    Perhaps the following week for Leaving Certs

What I had hoped for was
    Remote learning for ALL for 2 weeks minimum
    Then staggered return to school building starting with exam years
    I think we may well yet end up with some version of that
    I mean If L C are only coming in three days a week and we bring them back in two weeks time ahead of the rest of the year groups then they are only a couple of days worse off anyway
    And in reality they will be much better off as schools will have time to prepare for it

But that’s all far too simple isn’t it

The special classes are also an issue . I totally understand why the govt are prioritsing them but it’s simply far too risky for all concerned in those classrooms.
    That’s aside from the practicalities of it for teachers who teach a class or two as part of their overall TT

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

How is it a safe environment. Genuine question

There is no such thing as a risk free enviroment these days you just have to make your workplace as safe as is possible, sanitising, mask wearing, social distancing should easily be achievable now with schools having only a small percentage of capacity in attendance, are you telling me it wont be possible to carry out a small few classes per week in a manageable way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

There is no such thing as a risk free enviroment these days you just have to make your workplace as safe as is possible, sanitising, mask wearing, social distancing should easily be achievable now with schools having only a small percentage of capacity in attendance, are you telling me it wont be possible to carry out a small few classes per week in a manageable way?

According to Norma it is safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why should the classes be any smaller than normal?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

Except those students are often the most medically vulnerable.Most can't social distance, many can't wear masks and
    the SNAs and teachers will have to be in close contact, even performing intimate care for some. And it now transpires that NPHET weren't consulted at all about the re-opening.

As a parent of a child with special needs, granted not immune related, i cant say how important it was to get those schools and kids back.

The regression we saylw and stress we had to endure during the firdlst closure was near marriage breaking stuff. Some things and services are essential even with covid around. Special needs education and day services are one of them.

All the time spent reorganizing classes, extra cleaning, windows open, teachers jumbling around their classes not onsite?

Practical lessons aside what does a leaving cert student gain by sitting in a class room?

I can see how a junior infant or other primary class would benefit massively by being in, but a leaving cert student who will be learning like that anyway in a few months? Come on. Why take the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

thomas 123 wrote: »
    All the time spent reorganizing classes, extra cleaning, windows open, teachers jumbling around their classes not onsite?

Practical lessons aside what does a leaving cert student gain by sitting in a class room?

I can see how a junior infant or other primary class would benefit massively by being in, but a leaving cert student who will be learning like that anyway in a few months? Come on. Why take the risk?

Not everything can be achieved with remote learning, and remote learning is not a one size fits all for every student either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Not everything can be achieved with remote learning, and remote learning is not a one size fits all for every student either

How would those same lc students cope if they where in college which is fully remote :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Considering we are in a global pandemic....there's not room for a lot of options..

In class learning is not for every student with no covid.

With covid the risk far outweighs the reward in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

How would those same lc students cope if they where in college which is fully remote :rolleyes:

Many college students have found it extremely difficult.

Colleges/Universities changed their courses and examinations to suit remote learning by having more assignments and online quizzes which counted towards exams with a shorter than usual online final exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

This doesn't seem to be over by a long shot. Unions look to be sharpening the claws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

tina1040 wrote: »
    Many college students have found it extremely difficult.

Colleges/Universities changed their courses and examinations to suit remote learning by having more assignments and online quizzes which counted towards exams with a shorter than usual online final exam.

But they are managing, everyone is finding it hard right now, its the height of this pandemic in Ireland, sending 60k students and all the staff into schools next week is utter lunacy with a growth rate of 24%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement