Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

This doesn't seem to be over by a long shot. Unions look to be sharpening the claws

Unions won't do anything.....they'll huff and puff and then they'll do nothing ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Video sent to me on WhatsApp. Won’t upload as it’s too big. Union going to the boards of management as Norma Foley not the employer of SNAs and they’ve no time to ballot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

As a parent of a child with special needs, granted not immune related, i cant say how important it was to get those schools and kids back.

The regression we saylw and stress we had to endure during the firdlst closure was near marriage breaking stuff. Some things and services are essential even with covid around. Special needs education and day services are one of them.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but if your kid passed covid on to someone who became very ill or died, your child's education wouldn't be more important than their life. Of course their education and support is very important, and I'm sorry for what you went through, but what about their teacher and their families health and wellbeing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

This doesn't seem to be over by a long shot. Unions look to be sharpening the claws

What have the unions to be whinging about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

What have the unions to be whinging about?

Nothing at all, all is rosey

• Advertisement

Not everything can be achieved with remote learning, and remote learning is not a one size fits all for every student either

Their health and their families health/lives are MORE important. The teachers and school staff and their families health and lives are MORE important. Our communities health is MORE important. Having a functioning health system that isn't having to decide who gets care and who they can't make room for is MORE important. Remote learning is fine for now.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Their health and their families health/lives are MORE important. The teachers and school staff and their families health and lives are MORE important. Our communities health is MORE important. Having a functioning health system that isn't having to decide who gets care and who they can't make room for is MORE important. Remote learning is fine for now.

How do you home school a non verbal, aggressive and disabled autistic child?

A one size fits all solution wont work. Thats a fair and true statement.

I have no idea. Some people will only do what they need to survive and get by right now, is my instinctual answer.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I have no idea. Some people will only do what they need to survive and get by right now, is my instinctual answer.

I'd agree to an extent. I'm worried and anxious about what the next 6-9 Months might bring but i do recognise the need for essential services to stay open or reopen asap.

I'd agree to an extent. I'm worried and anxious about what the next 6-9 Months might bring but i do recognise the need for essential services to stay open or reopen asap.

We all are worried and anxious... I see that need too, and I'm very sorry it's come to this. Wishing you and your family the best in what will be a very difficult time these next months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

A lot of people are talking out of both sides of their mouths. Making mountains of manure and faux outrage and it’s themselves who partied all last month have contributed to the problem. Long and the short of it is we as a nation are a embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Video sent to me on WhatsApp. Won’t upload as it’s too big. Union going to the boards of management as Norma Foley not the employer of SNAs and they’ve no time to ballot

Andy Pike of Forsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Weird that RTE fished out black students for their opinion piece. What's the point of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Weird that RTE fished out black students for their opinion piece. What's the point of that

Sorry, what point are you making?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Asti statement so far

No credible level of assurance that schools will be safe next week
    The ASTI says it has not been provided with a credible level of assurance by the Government that schools will be safe places next week.

Following a meeting with representatives from the Department of Education and Skills today, the ASTI said the union has no access to medical data demonstrating that schools are sufficiently safe for students and teachers at this time, in the context of the new variant and the alarmingly high numbers.

The union said it is concerned that today’s Government decision has been made without full consideration of potential consequences to current public health objectives.

The union said that it continues to engage with the Department of Education and Skills and will meet public health officials with a view to discussing all the implications of today’s Government decision.

Ends

combat14 wrote: »
    Asti statement so far

No credible level of assurance that schools will be safe next week
    The ASTI says it has not been provided with a credible level of assurance by the Government that schools will be safe places next week.

Following a meeting with representatives from the Department of Education and Skills today, the ASTI said the union has no access to medical data demonstrating that schools are sufficiently safe for students and teachers at this time, in the context of the new variant and the alarmingly high numbers.

The union said it is concerned that today’s Government decision has been made without full consideration of potential consequences to current public health objectives.

The union said that it continues to engage with the Department of Education and Skills and will meet public health officials with a view to discussing all the implications of today’s Government decision.

Ends

And the huffing and the puffing begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

gifted wrote: »
    And the huffing and the puffing begins...

Yeah this is set in stone IMO. Looks like the TUI have responded a bit better but none of them will do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Yeah this is set in stone IMO. Looks like the TUI have responded a bit better but none of them will do anything.

I don't know. People can only be pushed so far and a lot of parents and students are furious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I don't know. People can only be pushed so far and a lot of parents and students are furious too.

Maybe. I have zero faith in the unions tbh. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lot of 6th years are organising a strike.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

What's the call on Junior Cert?
    Foley was dodging questions on it today, grand it means little but current third years have missed alot of school time ,,?
    Give them clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

C__MC wrote: »
    What's the call on Junior Cert?
    Foley was dodging questions on it today, grand it means little but current third years have missed alot of school time ,,?
    Give them clarity

Any bit of a wobble over the LC, they'll cancel the JC to ensure LC goes ahead.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

And how do you social distance safely in a school setting from the child with the same needs also? And I'm saying this from both parties perspective.
    I understand completely how difficult life can be for families with children with special needs more than most but at the end of the day it's an emergency and the health of people should come first.

If this moment doesn't exemplify one of the very reasons unions were created for then I don't know what does.

Lot of 6th years are organising a strike.

Online?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

I wouldn't be counting on Forsa to do anything of importance. They have not been a good union for SNA's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

We need to row in behind them. TUI members really need to send those emails if they can at all.

Edit: actually everyone should try lobby their local tds,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

As a parent of a child with special needs, granted not immune related, i cant say how important it was to get those schools and kids back.

The regression we saylw and stress we had to endure during the firdlst closure was near marriage breaking stuff. Some things and services are essential even with covid around. Special needs education and day services are one of them.

100%

In the UK special need classes never stopped

Even in their latest lockdown school for vulnerable children remain open and the virus is just as prevalent over there

The regression in my two nephews during the lockdown was unreal and is heart breaking

Remote learning cannot work for those with special needs

Now when the government make the correct decision to prioritise education for these most vulnerable of children it looks like many teachers and SNA's won't teach them

It's a tricky one all round

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Unions rightly making some noises alright, but are they going to push it very hard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Barbeapapa

My 6th year student daughter is appreciative of the chance for in-person classes, and a chance to finish projects (thanks to the poster several pages back who suggested that this may not be the case for LC students) but she is crushed by the idea that she is just an exam number (not even an exam result - to be that they would have to take into account the circumstances of covid v schooling) to her government.

She wants (as do her classmates) the Leaving Cert Exam to go ahead in a way that acknowledges their massively curtailed leaning experience over these two years.

She feels Norma Foley and her party are papering over the massive deficits in their leaving cert experience by providing "three days a week in class".

And that is the crux of their upset.

NF and MM imply with great pride that they will hold the leaving cert exams as usual...in other words with NO CONCESSIONS made for these LC students of 2021 who have had a rough time of it. It is all about Fine Fail saving face.

My daughter is a good, diligent student. She has worked consistently throughout but accepts she will not do as well as she would have hoped pre Covid. Her intended course has fairly low points so it is not a case of not getting what she wants. It is a case of the injustice of these young people being used as scapegoats for the Fine Fail ego.

Most schools will not finish the leaving cert course but the exams will encompass the whole course....14 years of diligently working to be unfairly fettered for the last two is what is justifiably bothering the LC21 class.

I don't get how this is difficult for people to grasp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement