Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Our kids teachers have sent a photo of math steps broken down step by step which was perfect, so maybe another call isn't always necessary?

I did similar but with voiceovers or sometimes just straight up videos.

That way there was no pressure on parents or children to be online at certain times. They could dip in and out as the home environment allowed. We never know what's going on and siblings minding and looking after younger siblings was something that came across as loud and clear in the feedback we got as one of the main impediments to the success of live stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Thanks for the response. My question is though, say your child comes to me for support with maths and english, then he/she could have three zoom calls daily. One from the teacher, one for Maths, one for English. 30 mins each. Too much?

I would much prefer to do it this way but am concerned it could be overwhelming for families.

Depends on each families setup but that would be a great addition for us. They could do there zoom calls why we get some work done and help out as needed during the calls. Might not work for everyone but certainly worth discussing with the parents.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

That's great for you but my two could end up killing each other as they'd be unsupervised for 5/6 hrs a day.

It is really tough from home and childminding, teaching, cooking, dealing with rows, nappy changes etc. I think it depends on the ages of the kids though on how each house copes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

the kelt wrote: »

I mean the dail decided today they’re a bit wary of this new strain so will only meet twice a week but say schools are relatively safe based on data from sep to December, ie before the new strain started circulating.

How is 2 days any better, when according to our own HSE it doesn't take long when in the presence of the virus to contract it. Seriously, what is one day less going to achieve in the face of that. So they acknowledge 3 days is too risky, but 2 isn't? How? What science is that based on?
    I don’t understand why people don’t actually see these issues or is it just an excuse to get one over on teachers cos of the cushy holidays etc.

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

You won't get much sympathy here, judging by some of the comments iv seen some people here would rather see the disadvantaged, vulnerable and disabled schoolkids thrown under the bus for the greater good of "protecting public health" and closing down a workplace that carries less risk than a supermarket

Replace "thrown under the bus" with "staying at home to protect them and their families from covid" and yes you're right thats what most in here want

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

But to be fair tho teachers they’re not treated as frontline workers though

For example in the rollout of the vaccine students are last and teachers 3rd from the bottom of the list.

Are there other frontline areas that have had their budget for ppe and sanitizer cut by 40%?

I’m not actually a teacher. I just don’t get the logic, I get some love sticking it to teachers etc hence the multiple new accounts doing just that, a bit pathetic but there ye go. Basically they’re forcing c 100k people out 3 days a week whilst telling everyone this is the worst pandemic ever and everyone needs to stay at home.

I mean the dail decided today they’re a bit wary of this new strain so will only meet twice a week but say schools are relatively safe based on data from sep to December, ie before the new strain started circulating.

I don’t understand why people don’t actually see these issues or is it just an excuse to get one over on teachers cos of the cushy holidays etc.

The old Irish pastime of begrudgery plain and simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Talking to some secondary teachers I know and none of their schools will be bringing the 6th years in 3 days a week. 3 different schools...I wonder if there's many around the country doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

I just think it is sad that we can't extend the school year. Why insist on substandard home schooling and laggy zoom meetings when we could call it a holiday and use the summer for school?

I reckon we are going to miss 7 weeks. Make up one at Easter and keep going until mid July. Primaries will still be a bit short but it isn't that big of a deal at that age. Obviously my cunning plan falls apart if the closure extends well beyond 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's great for you but my two could end up killing each other as they'd be unsupervised for 5/6 hrs a day.

You just need to find a way to make it work that works for you. We did it and countless others have as well. It's bloody tough but these are tough times.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Playing the man instead of the ball here but been your so interested I work in catering in Blanchardstown hospital, not exactly front line but my job now carries risks, risks that weren't there before, but I'm not gonna go complaining to my union I'm just gonna get on with things and accept the world we now live in is no longer the same

Has the budget for ppe, sanitizer etc being cut in regards to your job?

Do you stand in a room with 20 to 30 others for hours every day?

Ye see the thing I don’t get is teachers I know have no issue in teaching but want to know it’s safe.

How safe are schools with this new strain of Covid at a time when the levels of infection are their highest ever in the country?

Why do politicians decide to only meet 2 days a week because of fears over the new strain but tell teachers, students, bus drivers, secretaries, caretakers etc you’re grand?

You do get why teachers see this and think, hold on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Neyite wrote: »
    So for our situation, OH & I both WFH - he does a lot of calls and meetings, I might have one or two a day but mostly work without interaction with colleagues except via email. We have 1 8yo in Second class with no SN. He's got See Saw on his own kindle.

That would work for us - I'd much prefer a short live interaction with the teacher every day, with work set out for the class and let them off knowing it's to be done by the next day at the same time. (with additional texted correspondence via see saw if they have questions.)

Staggering the zoom calls would work for my neighbour with 6 (!) school going children and if book-based then they wouldn't all be fighting over the one or two devices.

It wouldn't work for my neighbour who's very against her 4 kids having screens. But tbh, that's her decision for her kids so it's up to her to find a work around by getting a printed lesson plan off the teacher and doing it her way.

It might not work for the kid who's got a learning disability but I imagine a tailored approach might have to happen there - but mom in that case is very pro-active and would guide any additional studies herself.

Thank you. A great response. It really illustrates why the DES should have set out some kind of standard approach for remote learning so that we could follow that. Your real life examples above clearly show how teachers will struggle to please everyone. And I didn't know Seesaw worked on Kindles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Talking to some secondary teachers I know and none of their schools will be bringing the 6th years in 3 days a week. 3 different schools...I wonder if there's many around the country doing the same?

I saw this alright.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/dublin-school-to-defy-government-request-to-reopen-for-leaving-cert-students-1.4452315

More power to them

You won't get much sympathy here, judging by some of the comments iv seen some people here would rather see the disadvantaged, vulnerable and disabled schoolkids thrown under the bus for the greater good of "protecting public health" and closing down a workplace that carries less risk than a supermarket

Ha, what? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Deeec wrote: »
    It is really tough from home and childminding, teaching, cooking, dealing with rows, nappy changes etc. I think it depends on the ages of the kids though on how each house copes.

3 and 8 and the 3 year old has a death wish

Can I ask what you decided to do instead? I think I remember you saying you had set up an online platform?

I did alot of prerecorded stuff which was then put up on Google classroom. Google form was used for assessment purposes.

Main reason why I used prerecorded stuff is that it suited the majority of my kids and their home situations. Some wouldn't have been able to log in as they were minding younger siblings while mammy and daddy were working. Recorded stuff meant children could log in before parents started working and get some school work done. I found the children were mainly uploading work to get corrected between 6-10 and again 4-8. I'm not here to add additional stress at home.

JRant wrote: »
    You just need to find a way to make it work that works for you. We did it and countless others have as well. It's bloody tough but these are tough times.

Ok you're not listening at all.

The solution I'm looking at is moving out of home so my parents can form a bubble with my wife and kids.

I'll be a risk if we're going to school 3 days a week

I did alot of prerecorded stuff which was then put up on Google classroom. Google form was used for assessment purposes.

Main reason why I used prerecorded stuff is that it suited the majority of my kids and their home situations. Some wouldn't have been able to log in as they were minding younger siblings while mammy and daddy were working. Recorded stuff meant children could log in before parents started working and get some school work done. I found the children were mainly uploading work to get corrected between 6-10 and again 4-8. I'm not here to add additional stress at home.

That approach sounds good and should work for most families. I think the best approach with remote learning is not to overcomplicate things with live online work that some cant attend.

That approach sounds good and should work for most families. I think the best approach with remote learning is not to overcomplicate things with live online work that some cant attend.

A lot of principals push live lessons

3 and 8 and the 3 year old has a death wish

Your house sounds similar to mine - I have a 9, 6 and 3 year old. Im work WFH and my husband has to go to work everyday. It can get crazy!

My thoughts exactly.
    Last time, once the above was embedded and working I tried to introduce some live stuff but was met with a wall of parents refusing permission for their kids to be on. Other issue was that it was just me talking as the kids were just so self conscious (totally understandable). Me talking wasn't the point of it so I stopped it. Switched to a once a week check-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

Quick question

Is there any provision for parents who aren’t comfortable sending kids to schools 3 days a week during ye know the worst pandemic to hit in like 100 years.

A neighbour of mine was fretting when speaking to them this morning, his elderly father lives with them, would be of ill health generally but his son is Doug his leaving cert.

He doesn’t want his kid out and about mixing etc but at the same time doesn’t want his son to fall behind missing 3 days of schools.

Any provisions?

of course not as they are leaving it up to the schools. Basically, Norma has decided lets have LC in for 3 days a week oh and BTW you figure out what to do (to the schools)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Replace "thrown under the bus" with "staying at home to protect them and their families from covid" and yes you're right thats what most in here want

No it's not, if you asked most parents of kids with special school needs they would tell you how detrimental keeping them off school was during the last lockdown, most other civilised countries have shown they can keep SNE schools open safely, why can't we do it here?

Im not a teacher just a parent. I think prerecorded works much better as the child can work at their own pace at a time thats convenient for the family. Alot of principles dont understand the challenges that families are dealing with. They must think parents are at home doing nothing!

And most of those don't know the reality of the situation. Peopl eneed to have cognisance of the needs of people but also.the home environment.

Im not a teacher just a parent. I think prerecorded works much better as the child can work at their own pace at a time thats convenient for the family. Alot of principles dont understand the challenges that families are dealing with. They must think parents are at home doing nothing!

I agree 100%. Hope it goes well for you all next week.

No it's not, if you asked most parents of kids with special school needs they would tell you how detrimental keeping them off school was during the last lockdown, most other civilised countries have shown they can keep SNE schools open safely, why can't we do it here?

What other "civilised countries' would that be? I have family in the US and Canada and they are all remote since September.

And I believe the answer to your "why" is we have one of the worst outbreaks in the world right now, our health system is challenged and only getting worse. Again, why do you always seem to need the obvious pointed out to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Those who got copies of the TUI letter template emailed to them, did it come from school rep or branch secretary?

Co Meath branch secretary has not sent it out. Wondering why. I have a copy of the letter but if they are supposed to be emailing it out, a significant number of members won't have seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What other "civilised countries' would that be? I have family in the US and Canada and they are all remote since September.

And I believe the answer to your "why" is we have one of the worst outbreaks in the world right now, our health system is challenged and only getting worse. Again, why do you always seem to need the obvious pointed out to you?

You can't teach special needs kids remotely, there needs go far beyond worksheets. Atleast in my sons case who has ASD and an ID

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Some even want to be part of lessons and any online chat spaces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

It seems you need the obvious pointed out to you, remote learning DOES NOT WORK for most children with special needs, this is why these schools have been kept open in most other countries

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement