Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

One class in a big school, why is it such a big problem .
    Selfish teachers destroying the careers and life’s of this years leaving cert students .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Listening to rte radio now. Tone from the room where the ongoing meetings are happening with govt and CMO is that this won't work if they push it through - nobody is on board, teachers, principals, parents, students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Selfish teachers destroying the careers and life’s of this years leaving cert students .

Exams are bell curved, exam papers can be tailored and have already been altered to give more choice and more college places have been made available than ever before.

Your chances to getting to third level have never been better than last year and this year. Calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Yeah they’re all so lazy. PUP for them all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But wouldn't they have already done this by going online last year though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Listening to rte radio now. Tone from the room where the ongoing meetings are happening with govt and CMO is that this won't work if they push it through - nobody is on board, teachers, principals, parents, students.

Fair play to all groups concerned.

Rushing such a move was wreckless.

Minister should go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Are you blaming any particular teacher for your life or are they all equally responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hyperbole much?

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Can I sidebar for a minute here:
    What does one pay for private schooling?

in our case it is costing €8000 per year.

Its a lot, but I understand a lot of people are paying more than that for childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Our school seems to be the best although it might be etb wide. You aren’t going to be allowed stay in the school to teach the rest of your classes online. Because you know, it’s not safe.....

So you come in teach your 6th years, then turn around, maybe an hour's drive and fire up the laptop?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Norma Foley surely has to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

One of the local schools here has nearly 250 students in 6th year. One class ehh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

ASTI just directed it's members not to engage or cooperate with the plan. They are to go online/remote.

Great news!!! Finally something positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Most definitely....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

They absolutely have to carry out the traditional LC now or else all this sh1te is pointless. It will be a huge embarrassment for the government if it doesn’t. They have went all in on this.

Realistically, it ain’t gonna happen. And there will be war when it’s called off.

Surely what the Government hung their hat on was schools open and normal LC. If it's now back to remote, I think that would make it easier for them to say right predictive grades so. I remember doing first lockdown, some TV news programme showed people sitting in their cars in the village church carpark working away on their laptops. That was the only place these people could get effective broadband. How could the kids in that village possibly do remote learning and do a leaving cert based on remote learning..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Edit l didn't read the OP in thread ignore .

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Find the attitude of ASTI and teachers disgraceful. I'm disgusted but unfortunately not surprised.

Teachers and childcare professionals are absolutely essential workers and it's essential our young people get an education. Schools should have stayed open at almost any cost - we know that the risk to young people is minimal so closing schools to prevent spread is complete greed on behalf of older people who will sacrifice the future of our young people.

Aegir wrote: »
      in our case it is costing €8000 per year.

Its a lot, but I understand a lot of people are paying more than that for childcare.

Last question, promise :pac: Is that primary? And what's the books situation?

Yeah, I've paid more than that in childcare myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,827 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So people are being told every day to stay at home and only meet with members of one other family or bubble. Then teachers are expected to go into a classroom and mix with students from at least thirty other families or bubbles in a cramped area.
      Madness. It makes absolutely no sense and is extremely dangerous.

• Advertisement

Find the attitude of ASTI and teachers disgraceful. I'm disgusted but unfortunately not surprised.

Teachers and childcare professionals are absolutely essential workers and it's essential our young people get an education. Schools should have stayed open at almost any cost - we know that the risk to young people is minimal so closing schools to prevent spread is complete greed on behalf of older people who will sacrifice the future of our young people.

B.S.
      Who's "we" and what do we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most definitely....
        To be replaced by who? It's a FF seat at Cabinet.

Yeah, let's sacrifice some teachers, SNAs, parents and grandparents instead.

Juwwi wrote: »
        The Government should let them have a vote on it , return or go on the PUP like everyone else .
        Who is teaching other kids online then?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Plenty of students want to be in school preparing for their leaving cert but lazy teachers will do every thing to get out of going to work

Mod:

All you are doing is winding people up. Stop this rhetoric or you will be threadbanned. Final warning

They have to find her first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Mrsmum wrote: »
        Surely what the Government hung their hat on was schools open and normal LC. If it's now back to remote, I think that would make it easier for them to say right predictive grades so. I remember doing first lockdown, some TV news programme showed people sitting in their cars in the village church carpark working away on their laptops. That was the only place these people could get effective broadband. How could the kids in that village possibly do remote learning and do a leaving cert based on remote learning..

They really want the LC to happen and i imagine what they are not saying is that schools could well be closed for a lot longer than the current plan.

I suppose the idea of keeping LC's in and a vaccination program in place before may means the LC can happen.

Remote learning is just too haphazard at the moment for an exam year - guess its a case of society moving forward vs. health advice (Been the battle all along really)

Stateofyou wrote: »
        Last question, promise :pac: Is that primary? And what's the books situation?

Yeah, I've paid more than that in childcare myself.

Secondary, but we still have to pay for books (which pisses me off no end)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Read the facts - your grasp of the new covid strain is limited to say the least!

• Advertisement

They have to find her first.

Ah thanks for the laugh, ha ha. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement