Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So you come in teach your 6th years, then turn around, maybe an hour's drive and fire up the laptop?

Apparently so. I’m very high risk so working from home so doesn’t affect me. Tbh though maybe they were just saying that knowing there would probably be a change and they couldn’t face doing up a new timetable and then cancelling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Aegir wrote: »
    Secondary, but we still have to pay for books (which pisses me off no end)

Maybe you should read them to develop your vocabulary - then they won't be such a waste of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Stateofyou wrote: »
    B.S.
    Who's "we" and what do we know?

"we" is anybody who's done any type of reading on the topic!

For example you could start here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/facts/questions-answers-school-transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I for one would support the teachers on this if they refused to attend schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Find the attitude of ASTI and teachers disgraceful. I'm disgusted but unfortunately not surprised.

Teachers and childcare professionals are absolutely essential workers and it's essential our young people get an education. Schools should have stayed open at almost any cost - we know that the risk to young people is minimal so closing schools to prevent spread is complete greed on behalf of older people who will sacrifice the future of our young people.

Eh we have stayed open at all cost from Sep-Dec even during Level 5 when other people were all wfh.

Also we are at 8,000 cases now with a new strain that spreads much more easily especially among young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

"we" is anybody who's done any type of reading on the topic!

For example you could start here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/facts/questions-answers-school-transmission

Awww sweet pity not up todate on the new strain which is 50-70% more infectious have you anyting from 1918 to prove your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Norma Foley surely has to go?

Without a doubt....the worst minister ever ....really is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Danick wrote: »
    Read the facts - your grasp of the new covid strain is limited to say the least!

interesting, please provide references. I have seen speculation, but no evidence that the new strain in the UK might spread quicker in children.

Even if that proves correct that it does spread quicker amongst children (And I repeat, there seems to be no evidence for that), the overwhelming evidence is that it doesn't make anyone any sicker and children rarely get sick from Covid. However they do suffer greatly from a lack of education. On balance it's not sensible to restrict education to protect them from Covid.

Unless of course you are greedy and you would rather harm children than take other steps to limit covid harm. For example, nobody is suggesting closing nursing homes in case the staff there get covid - they recongise that they are essential and they continue on as best they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I for one would support the teachers on this if they refused to attend schools.

They won't be attending. ASTI have withdrawn cooperation with the plan,

We need TUI now to step up to mark and follow ASTI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

They won't be attending. ASTI have withdrawn cooperation with the plan,

What about the TUI?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Foley has to go. What a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

appledrop wrote: »
    We need TUI now to step up to mark and follow ASTI.

ASTI on their would be enough to kill the plan, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Just when you think the teachers and their unions can't sink any lower in your estimation...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Foley has to go. What a disaster.

Correct , you must recognise the Gov as a whole too though. They went ahead with no talks with the unions, nphet etc which was utterly stupid.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What about the TUI?

One union withdrawing is enough to force a rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just when you think the teachers and their unions can't sink any lower in your estimation...

I suppose you think the Minister is playing a blinder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Aegir wrote: »
    Secondary, but we still have to pay for books (which pisses me off no end)

I'd be pissed too, hopefully there's small class sizes though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would swap lower with higher, but whatever.

Glad they could help.

• Advertisement

ASTI on their would be enough to kill the plan, no?

No we need unity on this. Some schools have spilt of staff some ASTI, some TUI some no union.

If both come together its dead in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

If it makes you feel any better, they don't exist for your approval :)

No we need unity on this. Some schools have spilt of staff some ASTI, some TUI some no union.

Forsa will probably pull the SNAs and that's the special schools and classes gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Well done teachers and ASTI, this plan was madness from the start and totally avoidable had the department spent any time actually planning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Foleys position is now untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Everyone on Twitter start getting at them. I dont have Twitter but I'll email them and contact them via Facebook.

But if all/most ASTI members are refusing to cooperate, surely that by itself makes the plan unworkable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Wonder if she thinks the partners in eduacation are still generous this evening?

article-1303386931128-0bb8e23000000578-914302_636x377.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=540%2C320&ssl=1

I'll tell you, honestly, I would love it if they're forced to teach the sixth years, LOVE IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

She should learn how to share and not to lie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement