Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Hi, our primary school has not sent any resources. My God-Child is in third class. Are there any online resources or notes that people would recommend? I am happy to pay, because I want her to have a good foundation for her early education.
    www.IXL.com is a great resource we use for Maths and English.
    www.khanacademy.com has every subject you can think of.

Here are the resources the government provides:
    https://www.education.ie/en/Parents/Information/Resources-for-Parents/Help-My-Kid-Learn.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I am a SEN teacher and during the last lockdown, I sent adapted work home to my children. My parents were very grateful for anything I sent home as I spent hours printing, laminating, cutting and velcro-ing resources.

I had no access to colour printing as the printer was in the secretary's office and I had no access to it. The DES directed schools to close buildings.

I was given absolutely no money for resources so I paid everything out of my own pocket.

Counting ink, velcro and laminating pouches- every time I sent home a batch of work packs, it cost me €100.

I just wanted to tell you that I tried my upmost in difficult circumstances. I will do the same this lockdown for my pupils. I am also looking forward to a safe return to work and I feel for all difficulties we all have to go through :(

My daughters teacher was absolutely fantastic too! Truly went above & beyond - even sending little presents in the post to motivate my daughter! So much so that I begged to principle to make sure we had her again in September

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

looks like our government chickened out. shame on them. Children and young people once again paying the price. Pure and simple greed. ASTI should hang their heads in shame.

Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭9db3xj7z41fs5u

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    What platform did the school use when online last year? Seesaw?

There are a multitude of educational websites that are free, a quick Google will help, any BBC ones in particular are normally very good.

Thanks to everybody! Twinkl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

Had to happen. Forsa had asked for a pause on the decision, if the SNA's were not going in, the schools would not open.

Criminal and deplorable bahaviour toward special children imo.

Its probably pushed my son closer to residential care in the near future. Shocking that in a setting of 6 people, 3 kids 3 SNAs that they cant or wont make it work. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,840 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thanks to everybody! Twinkl.

Twinkl is only really a resource not a platform.

Seesaw was used by most primary schools and it worked quite well, especially as we had an hours notice that the schools were closing and had never done on line teaching before.

I would be astonished if a school was only using Twinkl unless it also has a Platform option that I am unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

skippy1977 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry just yet. Most teachers probably waiting til Monday as the guidance was that these few days were an extension of holidays.

I'm secondary so I can't help with any primary resources but I know the BBC have programmes running during their lockdown

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55552962

and have good resources (I believe) here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize

...and just to reference my own post here I cannot for the life of me understand why the Department didn't employ teachers (inspectors) to make a suite of resources and videos for those students who may not be getting much tuition during the lockdown. A department Youtube channel broken into playlists by subject that cover the curriculum. USB's ready to be posted to those with poor wifi (I know this doesn't solve issue of those without devices)....but look....some sort of a plan or forward thinking. Yes there are lots of resources out there for teachers, and my classes won't need this as I'll be making videos everyday for each of those (before anyone tells me that is my job...I know, happy to do it), but I'm talking of something central for students to login to each day...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,840 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Norma Foley is on PrimeTime tonight

Schools are safe places and talking for minutes on end while not answering the question.

Rinse and repeat.

Twinkl is only really a resource not a platform.

Seesaw was used by most primary schools and it worked quite well, especially as we had an hours notice that the schools were closing and had never done on line teaching before.

I would be astonished if a school was only using Twinkl unless it also has a Platform option that I am unaware of.

Sorry. I rang my brother and it was Twinkl. All the names are so similar! I was thinking of organising a tutor for her 2-3 hours per week. My brother is not sure. It is a hard one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Criminal and deplorable bahaviour toward special children imo.

Its probably pushed my son closer to residential care in the near future. Shocking that in a setting of 6 people, 3 kids 3 SNAs that they cant or wont make it work. The mind boggles.

Yes shameful decision again

So much for looking after the education of our most vulnerable

I can't wait to go over to my nephews in the morning with my sisters crying her eyes out knowing the regression that is about to happen again

In the UK those with special needs were looked after from March to now in every lockdown

Not in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Hi, our primary school has not sent any resources. My God-Child is in third class. Are there any online resources or notes that people would recommend? I am happy to pay, because I want her to have a good foundation for her early education.

This week is extended holidays, they aren't due to send any resources. Would wait until next week.

Do you want specific suggestions for different areas? In third I would work on tables knowledge, adding and subtracting using renaming (videos pop up when you Google that), use of full sentences, capital letters and other basic grammar. Word problems are always a good focus too.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes shameful decision again

So much for looking after the education of our most vulnerable

I can't wait to go over to my nephews in the morning with my sisters crying her eyes out knowing the regression that is about to happen again

In the UK those with special needs were looked after from March to now in every lockdown

Not in Ireland

They could have made it work if the will was there.

This isn't about covid. Not in a setting of 6 people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Schools are safe places and talking for minutes on end while not answering the question.

Rinse and repeat.

She can't possibly repeat that again tonight. She's a laughing stock already and needs to get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

...and just to reference my own post here I cannot for the life of me understand why the Department didn't employ teachers (inspectors) to make a suite of resources and videos for those students who may not be getting much tuition during the lockdown. A department Youtube channel broken into playlists by subject that cover the curriculum. USB's ready to be posted to those with poor wifi (I know this doesn't solve issue of those without devices)....but look....some sort of a plan or forward thinking. Yes there are lots of resources out there for teachers, and my classes won't need this as I'll be making videos everyday for each of those (before anyone tells me that is my job...I know, happy to do it), but I'm talking of something central for students to login to each day...

This x10 or as another poster said let the teachers go into the schools and stream from the class 10 months they had to arrange something. But I guess they think home school hub on rte is enough .
    Just wondering out of interest from the teachers here on boards how many would genuinely have been interested in streaming from their class say maths, English, Irish history geography if asked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Rinse and repeat.

"Can I just say, before I answer that question, how grateful I am for the immense effort from all the partners in education in keeping our schools open from September to December. The school community comprises over 1 million people from teachers, students, SNAs, ancillary staff to the bus drivers who have all made tremendous efforts.

Schools are a safe place and remain a safe place. The CMO gave us a presentation of the virus in the community

*interviewer falls asleep*

I'm sorry, what was the question?"

This week is extended holidays, they aren't due to send any resources. Would wait until next week.

Do you want specific suggestions for different areas? In third I would work on tables knowledge, adding and subtracting using renaming (videos pop up when you Google that), use of full sentences, capital letters and other basic grammar. Word problems are always a good focus too.

Specific suggestions would be amazing! Thank you so much! Your post is very helpful!

My brother is going to start the work with her on Monday.

I remember talking about this over the last few months. Would have been a great thing for the extremely clinically vulnerable teachers to do. You could even team them up with RTE and have them help create a series of SESE lessons that could be broadcast in lockdown...could have been a great support but it'd require acknowledging that another lockdown could happen, so nope.

I honestly feel that SNAs and special school service providers have let down the most vunerable in Ireland.

Horrendous carry on.

Specific suggestions would be amazing! Thank you so much! Your post is very helpful!

My brother is going to start the work with her on Monday.

Those are kind of my go-to areas with 3rd... multiplication is a great one to work on as well. And reading. Lots of reading does amazing things for kids, the local library might have things online.

Can he email the teacher? If so, I'd ask if she would sign up to Epic and send him a student login. Epic is like an online library. If you have access through a teacher account it's completely free to use - I think between 7am and 4pm, and then an additional 2 hours free of choice. Teacher doesn't have to do anything other than give him access (and it's free for her as well). He can sign up himself but he'll have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

This x10 or as another poster said let the teachers go into the schools and stream from the class 10 months they had to arrange something. But I guess they think home school hub on rte is enough .
    Just wondering out of interest from the teachers here on boards how many would genuinely have been interested in streaming from their class say maths, English, Irish history geography if asked to.

What are you rambling about, as of from Monday I'll be following my full timetable for online classes.... plus I'll be expected to chase up the students who don't show to class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I honestly feel that SNAs and special school service providers have let down the most vunerable in Ireland.

Horrendous carry on.

That’s really unfair. It’s not the SNA’s fault the schools are closed.

...But I leave it on a positive note. The great sacrifices that teachers and students have made in putting all the obstacles of reopening the schools to one side and was one of the success stories of 2020. And while the govt may have turned against you, let me reassure all boards posters who are in the teaching profession, that these sacrifices that you made in the face of this global health crisis, was beyond anything that any politician or pubic representative will ever achieve to their fellow citizens or constituents. That to me is a sign of doing your bit in helping students and the wider society to achieve the start of a return to the normal that we as a country are craving for. You have played your part and no fingerpointing or acrimony from politicians ain't going to change that perception. Well done teachers and students.

Mary Lou? :D

Great post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I remember talking about this over the last few months. Would have been a great thing for the extremely clinically vulnerable teachers to do. You could even team them up with RTE and have them help create a series of SESE lessons that could be broadcast in lockdown...could have been a great support but it'd require acknowledging that another lockdown could happen, so nope.

I’m working from home as very high risk. Nothing has been done. My school are delighted with the extra pair of hands but no joined up planning at all. They didn’t even pair us with the very high risk students who are at home too. They are a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Even beyond the pandemic I would love to see it done to try and balance a two tier education system that encourages grinds etc

Facebook seems aware that I am a teacher and all I see online is advertisements for grinds schools, revision courses etc....nothing wrong with them at all for those that can afford them but if the department were really interested in levelling the playing field they would make an investment here....god knows some amount of money has literally been thrown in the bin from September to December (I know...it was important...but €50 for bucket of wipes!!)

eviltwin wrote: »
    That’s really unfair. It’s not the SNA’s fault the schools are closed.

They have saidbthey wouldn't go in? If they would go in this wouldnt be an issue.

Horrendous carry on.

The DES/Government had since March to make plans and provisions to how something might work in the instance of high community transmission. Nothing stopped them from coming up with Plan A, B, or C. It was their duty to in my opinion.

Unfair comment as it was the government that f'd it up, not the SNA's or special schools. Following that, just really f'd up and unfair circumstances we all find ourselves in. People partying and going around as if there weren't a virus is the horrendous carryon here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Even beyond the pandemic I would love to see it done to try and balance a two tier education system that encourages grinds etc

Facebook seems aware that I am a teacher and all I see online is advertisements for grinds schools, revision courses etc....nothing wrong with them at all for those that can afford them but if the department were really interested in levelling the playing field they would make an investment here....god knows some amount of money has literally been thrown in the bin from September to December (I know...it was important...but €50 for bucket of wipes!!)

It would be a drop in the ocean to pay authors in parallel to specification development to actually create free PDF books and full video demos for everything on the course and would pay enormous dividends for students, parents and teachers

Oh but they’d actually need to tell us what exactly is on the course at JC to do that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Horrendous carry on.
    Im personally very upset about the situation!
    But to blame SNA's and teachers directly is wrong !

I’m working from home as very high risk. Nothing has been done. My school are delighted with the extra pair of hands but no joined up planning at all. They didn’t even pair us with the very high risk students who are at home too. They are a disgrace

We had that idea between some of us here on boards earlier last year. Wtf is wrong with this government?

• Advertisement

Horrendous carry on.

You really dont know how things work in schools, or maybe you do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement