Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

khalessi wrote: »
    I can't go into school to stream as I would have to bring the kids and that would not be allowed. However, I managed alright teaching online for previous lockdown.[/quote

See this is were I think the teachers don’t help themselves and I’m not been smart as it’s a difficult situation but if nurses, bus drivers and all other front line / essential workers used this as a reason it wouldn’t be excepted. If you are paid to do a job it’s not a package deal that includes children and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Knine wrote: »
    I feel a lot safer keeping my child with Special Needs at home! Lots of children with extra needs also have underlying health issues

Sure a lot do but a lot don't

The option to keep your child home or send them to school is now not available unlike in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or England

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I can't go into school to stream as I would have to bring the kids and that would not be allowed. However, I managed alright teaching online for previous lockdown.[/quote

See this is were I think the teachers don’t help themselves and I’m not been smart as it’s a difficult situation but if nurses, bus drivers and all other front line / essential workers used this as a reason it wouldn’t be excepted. If you are paid to do a job it’s not a package deal that includes children and family.

And to be fair that is your opinion and I knew you were looking to have a go. DO you feel better? Phew moving on.

I do the job I do and I can wfh.

It is a pandemic. It is hard tobe a bus driver from home. I tried nursing from home but there was an investigation as to why I removed patients from the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

Just said on the news that close contacts have dropped by 36% this week. That will start making a difference to numbers hopefully soon. But if schools opened up contacts would go up again.

For every decision that brings one group of people relief, it will bring a different group of people despair, and that's the awful part of it. Not one person on here wants someone else to suffer because of decisions made. This is an unprecedented time and the only thing to be done is try limit the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭micks_address

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    pfft ... details

RTE reporting that NPHET say the R0 is somewhere between 2.4 and 3

They are calling it an extraordinary national crisis.

I know the decision has been reversed now and we need to move on, but WTF was she thinking?????

Plus she bare faced lied yesterday by saying all education partners had been consulted before coming to the decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I honestly feel that SNAs and special school service providers have let down the most vunerable in Ireland.

Horrendous carry on.

Is this supposed to be a joke? SNAs have let the most vulnerable down? Of all the people to pick on...not the politicians, not the honchos in the Dept of Ed, not the principals, hell not even us teachers (who's union it was that actually made them pull the plug). No the SNAs who (most of them) go above and beyond for the kids with little to no job security, zero career progression and a low income wage.
    I understand you're angry that your child won't be in school and I know how difficult it is but I can't let that comment go without a reaction. Take your anger out on someone else.

And to be fair that is your opinion and I knew you were looking to have a go. DO you feel better? Phew moving on.

I do the job I do and I can wfh.

It is a pandemic. It is hard tobe a bus driver from home. I tried nursing from home but there was an investigation as to why I removed patients from the hospital.

Sorry this is why I don’t like to post much on boards as things can be taken up wrong. I really wasn’t looking to have ago and sorry you took it up that way. I think that most teachers are trying their best but the government have put them in a difficult situation.

I believe the government actually waited until the unions refused to go to school for the leaving cert classes so that the teachers could take some of the flax.

But I also think that the comment of not been able to go to work because of child minding although a real issue is not one that plays well with Joe public who has been put on pup since March as an example. That’s what I ment about teachers not helping themselves.

I think I better stick to not posting I don’t seem to be helping myself in anyway😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sure a lot do but a lot don't

The option to keep your child home or send them to school is now not available unlike in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or England

I dunno who this lot is. Any of my fellow Special Needs Parents feel the same as me except the small minority of those with children without health issues. I'd rather be safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Scandalous behaviour from the teachers with their threat of withdrawing their labour.

When the s..t hits the fan and others are stepping up, they're stepping back.

Children of essential workers should have been accommodated so the essential workers can get on without fighting this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Rodin wrote: »
    Scandalous behaviour from the teachers with their threat of withdrawing their labour.

Children of essential workers should have been accommodated so the essential workers can get on without fighting this crisis.

They didn't threaten to withdraw labour though. Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant

• Advertisement

Sorry this is why I don’t like to post much on boards as things can be taken up wrong. I really wasn’t looking to have ago and sorry you took it up that way. I think that most teachers are trying their best but the government have put them in a difficult situation.

I believe the government actually waited until the unions refused to go to school for the leaving cert classes so that the teachers could take some of the flax.

But I also think that the comment of not been able to go to work because of child minding although a real issue is not one that plays well with Joe public who has been put on pup since March as an example. That’s what I ment about teachers not helping themselves.

I think I better stick to not posting I don’t seem to be helping myself in anyway����

Well this teacher is a single parent so regarding not helping themselves no one helps me and if anyting happens to me as I am high risk, what will they do? I taught succesfully from home last year and will do so this time around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

I honestly feel that SNAs and special school service providers have let down the most vunerable in Ireland.

Horrendous carry on.

Understand you are upset but it's very unfair to point the finger of blame at those who you rely on. Special needs or not we are all worried about the impacts on children.

SNAs have been left completely open and they also have their own health and the health of their children and families to consider.

I don't blame them one bit, I think the horrendous carry on is that they've had to worry the last few days about whats going to happen to them from next week.

I completely agree with them for refusing to be put at risk. They are human too and have fears and concerns like everyone else.

We will turn the corner soon, and while it's not ideal we all have had to make sacrifices and now again hopefully for just a little bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Horrendous carry on.

Really, ffs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sure but so did many from many walks of life

That doesn't change the fact that for the second time since March we are failing to provide education to the most vulnerable children in Irish society

Schools in Derry can do it but 5km over the border in Donegal we can't apparently

Clearly in your world school staff are expendable. How many deaths are acceptable for Krusty off the internet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    pfft ... details

RTE reporting that NPHET say the R0 is somewhere between 2.4 and 3

They are calling it an extraordinary national crisis.

I know the decision has been reversed now and we need to move on, but WTF was she thinking?????

She doesn't apparently spend much time thinking, that one.

Well this teacher is a single parent so regarding not helping themselves no one helps me and if anyting happens to me as I am high risk, what will they do? I taught succesfully from home last year and will do so this time around too.

I know a lot of single parents who have lost their jobs and are really struggling and I sympathise with your situation I really do but and this is why I don’t like posting on boards I’m asking in a general sense and I think you have taken it personally.

Once again I sympathise with your situation but you need to be able to see that it’s not personal.

I’ll bow out now as I don’t think anything will be gained.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Two week forum ban for another breach of your threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where did they threaten to withdraw their labour?

Also accomodation of essential workers children wasn't even given consideration by the govt. Not an issue for teachers or schools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Theyll be working next week how is that withdrawing their labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Clearly in your world school staff are expendable. How many deaths are acceptable for Krusty off the internet?

Yeah very nice trick questioning

Fair play to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hold My Hand

I am beginning to think that Norma’s pearls are getting an appearance fee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

She sounds angry

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Norma on Prime Time. The woman has balls of steel.

She is completely placing 'the blame' on unions. I think this is very first time in my career that the unions have actually achieved anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Remember everyone schools are safe.......

Wouldnt you have more respect for her if she just say she was sorry and she got it wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

It's like whack-a-mole! They keep popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Whoever is interviewing her needs to stop interrupting her so much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Norma on Prime Time. The woman has balls of steel.

Yeah like RTÉ ask the hard questions :rolleyes:

I know a lot of single parents who have lost their jobs and are really struggling and I sympathise with your situation I really do but and this is why I don’t like posting on boards I’m asking in a general sense and I think you have taken it personally.

Once again I sympathise with your situation but you need to be able to see that it’s not personal.

I’ll bow out now as I don’t think anything will be gained.

I dont take it personally but people (not you) think that teachers and SNA are robots there for their usage. This is a pandemic, a once in a lifetime occurence and if it is safer to work from home, people should.

THere are people from all professions working from home. gps only doing consults on the phone, no one calls for them to be on the pup.

There is a help thread if anyone has a questions as they are carrying out remote learning with their children and we will do the best to answer it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058147773

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Norma Foley throwing teaching unions under the bus completely, claiming that they were all consulted.

She's repeating hundreds of times that she has had ongoing engagement with unions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Absolute disgrace

Special needs kids desperately need help and are regressing every day

Enjoy your time off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement