Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Closing the schools in March increased the spread of the virus because it meant that there were many children hanging around in public spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Closing the schools in March increased the spread of the virus because it meant that there were many children hanging around in public spaces.

and opening them has them hanging around in confined spaces lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

blanch152 wrote: »
    I can't believe we have someone looking for an increase in cases so that schools will be shut down. Incredible.

of course this is the only conclusion you can take from reading my post. detail you are missing is that: majority of students doesn't equal all students.

i would be a secondary school parent pro hybrid learning for last couple of months. get it now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

My sons teacher, who I would know well has told me they won't be opened after Mid Term just so I can arrange a babysitter, said as usual will be last minute decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Jesus I'm not sure where you live but where I am there wasn't a sinner out in the evening time as everywhere was shut.

Anyway I think you'll find that the vast majority of teachers actually don't want schools closed but that things maybe need to change. Maybe hybrid learning for a defined time period, maybe remote for a short while. Something that reduces school/community spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm predicting Teachers won't return after weeks mid term, there's already rumblings at Union level and I note with curiosity figures on outbreaks in schools given headline status by the somewhat Morose, Fergal Bowers on Six one news this evening, indeed he didn't even bother to discuss today's cases and Deaths, left that to the ever excitable Catriona Perry.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

My sons teacher, who I would know well has told me they won't be opened after Mid Term just so I can't arrange a babysitter, said as usual will be last minute decision

There is no official information on this. Now it wouldn't surprise me if it was announced late next week during midterm.

I've already organised with the sun taking my class that all books are to go home on Friday as a just in case. The online platform is already up and running and been tested by the children. All just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

You what's really beginning to drag me down, is that even though the school situation is clearly deteriorating, more and more people seem to be perfectly accepting of them as they are and don't see any need to make them safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

meeeeh wrote: »
    Sorry I'm not a dog for you to shush me.

If you desisted from the insults in the first place, nobody would be requesting you to shush. Now that's all I'm saying on it anymore as it's just off topic nonsense that nobody needs to read.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

There is no official information on this. Now it wouldn't surprise me if it was announced late next week during midterm.

I've already organised with the sun taking my class that all books are to go home on Friday as a just in case. The online platform is already up and running and been tested by the children. All just in case.

Oh I know there's no official information but everyone knows it at this stage. Gob****es will leave it till next Thurs or Fri and have everyone in a panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oh I know there's no official information but everyone knows it at this stage. Gob****es will leave it till next Thurs or Fri and have everyone in a panic

Was probably always the plan. But they'd never announce it with the Level 5 plan. Probably be too much for people to handle in one speech. So, let level 5 sink in, people get used to it, then announce extension of mid term.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Northern Ireland is a lot worse than here so the two week school closure should give some indication of how schools affect the spread.

I know 2 weeks is short time but might give some indication.

Was probably always the plan. But they'd never announce it with the Level 5 plan. Probably be too much for people to handle in one speech. So, let level 5 sink in, people get used to it, then announce extension of mid term.

I don't see it lads, government are too far down the rabbit hole at this stage, they will never admit schools could be an issue in my opinion, much like many of the posters here on boards tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Ha.. what?! So they stopped being able to contract and spread the virus inside a closed room with often more than 30 others? And the primary children without masks who are shown in studies to contract and spread the virus at least as well as adults do are now hanging around in confined spaces with far more children than they ever would down the road? The logic here is baffling.

And of course blanch liked it and found no fault with that reasoning. Lol.

Ha.. what?! So they stopped being able to contract and spread the virus inside a closed room with often more than 30 others? And the primary children without masks who are shown in studies to contract and spread the virus at least as well as adults do are now hanging around in confined spaces with far more children than they ever would down the road? The logic here is baffling.

And of course blanch liked it and found no fault with that reasoning. Lol.

And all this without even acknowledging that parents should be bloody supervising their kids when their at home.

Our school principal confirmed to me yesterday that school books are being sent home with children on Friday "just in case." Online learning is ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Ha.. what?! So they stopped being able to contract and spread the virus inside a closed room with often more than 30 others?

There is some logics in it.. When you have outbreak in some class - it is easy to establish contacts and localise issue. If children are playing together outside school as it was often seen during first spike - infection being spread on uncotrolled manner outside of limited set of people.

Thats me wrote: »
    There is some logics in it.. When you have outbreak in some class - it is easy to establish contacts and localise issue. If children are playing together outside school as it was often seen during first spike - infection being spread on uncotrolled manner outside of limited set of people.

Maybe you missed the news and reality that contact tracing and testing has completely failed our school community, and collapsed? Not so easy, it turns out. And also, children have no social distancing happening in the school yard at break either. Lastly, parents and children would know the few kids they play with and come into close contact with. Their contacts are far more limited outside schools than in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

There were nearly 7000 cases last week. The fact there were only 46 outbreaks in schools attended by 20% of our population doesn't look particularly high

There were 46 clusters attributed to schools. 80% of the clusters magically appeared at home.

Either tap water needs to be tested, or they're coming from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

joe40 wrote: »
    My opinion on this is that I believe there is a very high likelihood that transmission will occur in schools. The numbers make it inevitable. I hope govt will be honest.

However as a parent and teacher (secondary) it is important that schools are kept open. Predicted grades are not suitable and would be even harder this year. Education is vital for our society. Teachers and everyone working in schools should be given whatever protection is required but schools must be kept open.
    The virus is going to be with us for months/years closing school is not viable.

Having your cake and eating it. Honest to God the logic of what you're saying. Sounding like a TD, ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country. You'll go far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My nephew in Dublin brought home all his school work books today. Doing Christmas stuff tomorrow. Same for my niece in Leitrim and my nephew's in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

blanch152 wrote: »
    Quite obviously the teacher knew that the pods had not been implemented properly.

If they have been implemented properly, such situations shouldn't arise.

I've 4 pods in my room. All 4 have quite extensive crossovers as a result of siblings or wider family circles or their involvement with various staff members.

I implement my pods "properly" as I'm sure the vast vast majority of teachers in the country do too. However once again should there be an outbreak the pods/guidelines most likely won't work or have a very limited range of effectiveness.

And once again Blanch you really shouldn't be posting athoritatively about things you clearly don't fully understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Having your cake and eating it. Honest to God the logic of what you're saying. Sounding like a TD, ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country. You'll go far.

OP was being practical. What’s the alternative to keeping the schools open....just shut the schools for a year or more?? Go online and leave thousands of children fall behind. Some children’s learning difficulties won’t be picked up on and there will be no supports put in place for them.

mohawk wrote: »
    OP was being practical. What’s the alternative to keeping the schools open....just shut the schools for a year or more?? Go online and leave thousands of children fall behind. Some children’s learning difficulties won’t be picked up on and there will be no supports put in place for them.

I am very confused. Do people just pop in and read the last few posts or what? Because either it's deliberately obtuse or they don't think they should read back before just jumping in.

It's been said time and time and time and time and time (x50) again that the alternative is a blended. remote. learning. plan. I think I give up...

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    My nephew in Dublin brought home all his school work books today. Doing Christmas stuff tomorrow. Same for my niece in Leitrim and my nephew's in Galway.

What is fcuking point of doing Christmas stuff now? That is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Message from my daughters primary school to bring her school bag in tomorrow so they can bring books home.

Sons secondary school similar message

Very ominous and I think its more than precautionary

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

We've negotiated with some Teachers that, if schools do remain closed after Midterm, to just send us work online and we will complete it for them for the specified Due date.

Seems reasonable. No talks of bringing books home or anything but, most kids in my school use Ipads for their books anyway and we don't have lockers anymore.

Ninthlife wrote: »

Very ominous and I think its more than precautionary

It is just in case.

If it does happen then we'll find out the same as everyone else via the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

It is just in case.

If it does happen then we'll find out the same as everyone else via the media.

Ive no issue with it, im glad they are preparing.

If numbers continue over the next week I think the mid term will extend...

• Advertisement

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Ive no issue with it, im glad they are preparing.

If numbers continue over the next week I think the mid term will extend...

Preparing for Christmas though is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The Department of Education has put the following temporary arrangement in place for school principals:

If a member of staff who has tested positive for COVID-19 gets a text message from the HSE to contact their own close contacts, we request the school principal to please ring the Department of Education at the following number 057 9324461 or email covid19_alert@education.gov.ie (if out of hours) with a mobile number for the school principal and the name and address of the school.

The Department will arrange for a follow-up call from Public Health to the school principal to identify if any action is required by the school, including identifying any close contacts for exclusion from the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Does anyone care what Norma thinks??

I think you will find that Norma's thoughts are more important than yours, mine or anybody else on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

What is fcuking point of doing Christmas stuff now? That is just ridiculous.

Could be those Christmas cards schools put out, they would all be done around this time of year. I'm sure when I did mine last week the kids went home talking about our 'Christmas day'.

Doing Christmas stuff for the sake of Christmas stuff would be nuts but ime there's usually a sensible reason for these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Our school principal confirmed to me yesterday that school books are being sent home with children on Friday "just in case." Online learning is ready to go.

Really? We haven't had anything like that said to us but online platform is being set up in case a teacher is quarantining or staff shortages etc. I suppose only time will tell, there probably would be little notice if we were closing like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

The Department of Education has put the following temporary arrangement in place for school principals:

If a member of staff who has tested positive for COVID-19 gets a text message from the HSE to contact their own close contacts, we request the school principal to please ring the Department of Education at the following number 057 9324461 or email covid19_alert@education.gov.ie (if out of hours) with a mobile number for the school principal and the name and address of the school.

The Department will arrange for a follow-up call from Public Health to the school principal to identify if any action is required by the school, including identifying any close contacts for exclusion from the school.

In other words, you are not deemed a close contact

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Maybe you missed the news and reality that contact tracing and testing has completely failed our school community, and collapsed? Not so easy, it turns out. And also, children have no social distancing happening in the school yard at break either. Lastly, parents and children would know the few kids they play with and come into close contact with. Their contacts are far more limited outside schools than in.

OK, lets extend it to whole school instead of single class. It is still finite number of people involved - children, teachers and everybody who are living in the same household with them. If other protective measures work of course.

Could be those Christmas cards schools put out, they would all be done around this time of year. I'm sure when I did mine last week the kids went home talking about our 'Christmas day'.

Doing Christmas stuff for the sake of Christmas stuff would be nuts but ime there's usually a sensible reason for these things...

Actually that is a good call. Think I did mine around this time last year because there was a reduction in cost for the ones submitted before a certain date thus increasing the profit for the school.

Such a petty and arrogant response. What is you'll go far supposed to mean?

I value my kids education and I want them to stay in school. Online blended learning simply will not work for large sections of our society.
    We saw the level of engagement last year. Good for some non existent for others.
    Are other European countries doing the online teaching to any large extent, not that I know off.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

So serious question , when the schools close for midterm and dont reopen till next september what kind of an education can i expect for my 5 and 7 yo ? Will it be an email on a Sunday night with work for the week or will they have scheduled online classes everyday ,

• Advertisement

Dayo93 wrote: »
    So serious question , when the schools close for midterm and dont reopen till next september what kind of an education can i expect for my 5 and 7 yo ? Will it be an email on a Sunday night with work for the week or will they have scheduled online classes everyday ,

Oh you're so an optimistic person aren't you. Sure just ring Joe tomorrow and get it off your chest.

No one knows as there is no central strategy. Each school left to try and put something together.

https://www.principalsforum.org/?page_id=1265

Interesting survey. Amongst other things, of schools surveyed 1 in every 4 schools have experienced a covid case/s in their school. 1 in 4 schools also saying that they do not have a suitable isolation room for covid cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

s.
    Are other European countries doing the online teaching to any large extent, not that I know off.

Are any other European countries in the highest level of national lockdown, not that I know of.

JP100 wrote: »
    https://www.principalsforum.org/?page_id=1265

Interesting survey. Amongst other things 1 in every 4 schools have experienced a covid case/s in their school. 1 in 4 schools surveyed saying that they do not have a suitable isolation room for covid cases.

Norma told a Fianna Fail meeting this evening that it is 1 in 10 schools have had a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

And all this without even acknowledging that parents should be bloody supervising their kids when their at home.

But the reality is that many of them don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My daughter was in 5th class last year. She got 4 emails from her teacher from March to end of June. The emails had lists of stuff to study and homework to do. I'd say it was about 2-3 weeks effort in total. Her homework was never checked. Some parents were furious but the teacher was a bit of a battleaxe and wouldn't care less. I think she will retire very soon.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

MOH wrote: »
    Are any other European countries in the highest level of national lockdown, not that I know of.

The level of lockdown is our choice. Plenty of European countries are dealing with infection rates as bad or worse.

Norma told a Fianna Fail meeting this evening that it is 1 in 10 schools have had a case.

Not the first or last time will the number being spouted by the government differ from those folks on the ground experiences!

Such a petty and arrogant response. What is you'll go far supposed to mean?

I value my kids education and I want them to stay in school. Online blended learning simply will not work for large sections of our society.
    We saw the level of engagement last year. Good for some non existent for others.

Yep. People are definitely not reading back.

• Advertisement

Is that a serious question? Since when are schools closing for midterm only to reopen a year later?

The best question to ask what your online learning will consist of is your schools' principal. Thanks to a non-cohesive approach from the DES, schools are left to figure it out for themselves so it will be different all over the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement