Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Jake1 wrote: »
    I see that Virapro sanitiser can also cause upper respiratory system irritation,

symptoms are

headaches.
    stuffed or runny nose. :eek:
    sore throat.
    sneezing. :eek:
    muscle aches and pain.

sneezing and runny noses, perfect for spreading,,,

jesus.

Oh great. My ten year old is in bed with those symptoms at the moment.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Oh great. My ten year old is in bed with those symptoms at the moment.

Dont even know what to say to you, cant begin to imagine the fright parents are having to deal with right now around the country :(

Hope your kid is ok , all the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

khalessi wrote: »
    I was going to try and make a list of all the feck ups since this crowd came to power but I cant keep up

I started a list but gave up when it started to look longer than James Joyce’s Ulysses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As far as i can remember, this was onsale at the Dealz checkouts.

Fairly sure I've seen it on desks in my class during early Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Smegging hell

Wonder will the media report on this?

RTÉ etc picking up on it now. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1022/1173344-school-hand-sanitiser/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Makes a change from the Friday announcements from the Dept. Drop one on the Thurs night before midterm instead.

Sh1tshow doesn't even cover how the Dept has performed since March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Can't even get the Hand sanitiser right ffs:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Schools on distance learning for a bit now back in Czech Republic.

"Distance learning has been gradually introduced at all schools across the country. Prymula previously argued that more and more students and teachers were getting infected. In September, more than 8,000 people, or 18 percent of those who tested positive, were infected at schools, according to UZIS data."

https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/article/czech-workplaces-are-responsible-for-highest-percentage-of-covid-19-cases-according-to-new-data

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I thought schools were promised this kinda sh!t was done with?

https://roscommonherald.ie/2020/10/2...er-covid-case/

The article is taken down, what was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It is still there just wonky link
    s1ippy wrote: »

COUNTY ROSCOMMON PRIMARY SCHOOL TO CLOSE TOMORROW AFTER COVID CASE
    THURSDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2020
    FacebookTwitterEmailShare

A County Roscommon primary school with a confirmed case of Covid-19 has taken the decision to close its doors tomorrow (Friday) after failing to receive any direction from the HSE.

This evening the principal of the school contacted parents to say that she had received a call from a parent this evening alerting her to the fact that her child had tested positive for Covid-19. She immediately contacted the HSE at 4.30 p.m.. She gave the necessary details and was told that someone would be in contact with her.

The principal remained at the school until after 9 p.m. tonight and had still received no contact. She told parents tonight that after numerous attempts to get answers from public health through helplines etc she failed to get advice.

The principal added that in the interests of health and safety they had no choice but to close the school tomorrow.

She has informed parents that as soon she gets any more official information she will contact them.

The Roscommon Herald will update this story as soon as further details become available.

I hope they all get well but how are 27 players training outside classed as close contacts and 30 pupils, a teacher, SNA and other staff indoors in a room for 5 hours minimum, that a covid+ student comes in contact with, are not classed close contacts?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1022/1173335-27-offaly-players-deemed-close-contacts-due-to-training/

In a statement, Offaly GAA said that it had expected panel members would have been deemed ‘casual contacts’ rather than ‘close contacts’ of the player who tested positive for Covid-19, as per regulations governing outdoor training sessions since games resumed in the summer.

"Offaly GAA County Board officers have liaised with GAA officials in Croke Park since this issue arose on Wednesday afternoon," the statement said.

"Our preferred option was for a postponement of the game, but we understand that this course of action is not possible as all GAA Championships must be completed in a short timeframe.

"We hope to participate in the second round of the Christy Ring Cup on the weekend of 7/8 November, when the players who are self-isolating will hopefully be available. They are currently availing of the GAA’s rapid testing facility."

As the players have been deemed 'close' rather than 'casual' contacts, even if they test negative they will still have to restrict their movements until 14 days have passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

One case?
    Is she for real.

Have the close contacts isolate and tell them to contact their Gp for a test and work away.

What an attention seeking over reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

One case?
    Is she for real.

Have the close contacts isolate and tell them to contact their Gp for a test and work away.

For the sake of one day, is it that big a deal?

Their sanitiser prob defective anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

I hope they all get well but how are 27 players training outside classed as close contacts and 30 pupils, a teacher, SNA and other staff indoors in a room for 5 hours minimum, that a covid+ student comes in contact with, are not classed close contacts?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1022/1173335-27-offaly-players-deemed-close-contacts-due-to-training/

In a statement, Offaly GAA said that it had expected panel members would have been deemed ‘casual contacts’ rather than ‘close contacts’ of the player who tested positive for Covid-19, as per regulations governing outdoor training sessions since games resumed in the summer.

"Offaly GAA County Board officers have liaised with GAA officials in Croke Park since this issue arose on Wednesday afternoon," the statement said.

"Our preferred option was for a postponement of the game, but we understand that this course of action is not possible as all GAA Championships must be completed in a short timeframe.

"We hope to participate in the second round of the Christy Ring Cup on the weekend of 7/8 November, when the players who are self-isolating will hopefully be available. They are currently availing of the GAA’s rapid testing facility."

As the players have been deemed 'close' rather than 'casual' contacts, even if they test negative they will still have to restrict their movements until 14 days have passed.

Wow, the GAA have a rapid testing facility and the schools don't? :mad:

A lot of f'd up news this morning.

One case?
    Is she for real.

You do know this is a highly contagious virus, right? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It is still there just wonky link

COUNTY ROSCOMMON PRIMARY SCHOOL TO CLOSE TOMORROW AFTER COVID CASE
    THURSDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2020
    FacebookTwitterEmailShare

A County Roscommon primary school with a confirmed case of Covid-19 has taken the decision to close its doors tomorrow (Friday) after failing to receive any direction from the HSE.

This evening the principal of the school contacted parents to say that she had received a call from a parent this evening alerting her to the fact that her child had tested positive for Covid-19. She immediately contacted the HSE at 4.30 p.m.. She gave the necessary details and was told that someone would be in contact with her.

The principal remained at the school until after 9 p.m. tonight and had still received no contact. She told parents tonight that after numerous attempts to get answers from public health through helplines etc she failed to get advice.

The principal added that in the interests of health and safety they had no choice but to close the school tomorrow.

She has informed parents that as soon she gets any more official information she will contact them.

The Roscommon Herald will update this story as soon as further details become available.

Why is this still happening? Did Stephen Donnelly not say that what happened last weekend was a once off mistake (letting 10,000 people slip through tracing), they've "reset" and now they're back to operating normally and will be contacting everyone? So the truth is they still can't cope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

One case?
    Is she for real.

That’s very easy to say from the comfort of your own home with no skin in the game. As principal the buck stops with her. Would you like to be responsible for allowing a situation to develop where there is potential for children and staff to spread a highly contagious virus ?
    School finishes between 2:30 and 3:00 depending on starting time. That principal stayed at WORK till 9 pm waiting for the HSE to contact her.( She couldn’t go home as names and contact details of staff and children need to be stored securely on site due to gdpr.) NADA she made the right call and the more schools do this and the more it’s highlighted the quicker the HSE will respond to schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Right call by the principal. HSE would want to take their finger out.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

s1ippy wrote: »

About a school in Rscommon closing today due to them not managing to get guidance from the HSE.

One case?
    Is she for real.

Wow,j just wow. Buck stops with the principal and BoM. Without guidance they did the correct thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

ViraPro hand sanitizer NOT to be used.... Was on the approved list from the department for schools to use.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/schools-instructed-to-stop-using-virapro-branded-hand-sanitiser-1.4388829%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Hi All, FYI

Irish Examiner: Lockdowns can cut virus rate by 52% in four weeks, new study finds

Scientists looked at the effect of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) on the Covid-19 reproduction (R) number.
    Meanwhile, the measures most strongly associated with an increase in R were lifting bans on gatherings of more than 10 people (25%) and reopening of schools (24%) after 28 days
    The findings, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal, are based on a modelling analysis, taking into account NPIs across 131 countries.

Why i'm not surprised?

Thats me wrote: »
    Hi All, FYI

Irish Examiner: Lockdowns can cut virus rate by 52% in four weeks, new study finds

Scientists looked at the effect of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) on the Covid-19 reproduction (R) number.
    Meanwhile, the measures most strongly associated with an increase in R were lifting bans on gatherings of more than 10 people (25%) and reopening of schools (24%) after 28 days
    The findings, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal, are based on a modelling analysis, taking into account NPIs across 131 countries.

Why i'm not surprised?

I await someone to come along and say it is all nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Just a note that on indo there is an article mentioning TUIs concerns, flagging what ventilation in schools would be critical to be addressed for winter.
    - I am also wanting to hear how much money they would spend for equipment that addresses ventilation, cause I don't see it normal to be asked to send the kids with more layers/jackets/blankets or whatever on sub-zero degrees.
    Same article lists interesting numbers from a survey TUI did among their members. And also includes very reasonable concerns from the second level students association (ISSU) - haven't read about Reuban Murray on this thread yet, he's quoted with sensible requests I concur with
    “We are calling for the Department of Education to release an official online learning strategy. This strategy should outline the appropriate measures a school is required to implement for the effective continuation of learning."
    “Students should not be penalised for not being able to attend school due to health concerns or advised isolation during a pandemic.”
    And my favorite, "there was a need to establish that schools were safe, not that they are not key drivers for infection.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So the schools as recommended by the DOE have been buying up huge expensive quantities of poison and liberally dosing children in it for over 2 months.

DOE were informed Tuesday, schools can close today if they don't feel like continuing the poisoning.

The scandals are growing faster than the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The doh were literally squirming in their seats when schools were brought up in the briefing yesterday. The body language said it all, you could visibly see them brace and then half heartedly deliver the same old disproven nonsense about low school trasmissions and kids not being significant spreaders.

Colm Henry is still citing some completely obsolete Denmark study on why schools are safe. ****ing waffler.

It's such obvious bull****. They know it, and the journalists know it, all the latest evidence is out there now, and it has been documented globally that schools are high transmission environments, but there seems to be a refusal to call anybody out on it.

A few reporters danced around it yesterday but nobody dares go in for the kill with the up to date data and hard hitting questions.

Have we finally arrived to the 21st century in the middle of a pandemic.

“We are calling for the Department of Education to release an official online learning strategy. This strategy should outline the appropriate measures a school is required to implement for the effective continuation of learning."
    “Students should not be penalised for not being able to attend school due to health concerns or advised isolation during a pandemic.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Boggles wrote: »
    So the schools as recommended by the DOE have been buying up huge expensive quantities of poison and liberally dosing children in it for over 2 months.

DOE were informed Tuesday, schools can close today if they don't feel like continuing the poisoning.

The scandals are growing faster than the virus.

The hand sanitizer containing methanol was the one provided to teachers. a different alcohol free one was provided to students. Hope there no effect on pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I await someone to come along and say it is all nonsense.

I can access this through work but don't know if others will be able to read it:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30785-4/fulltext#seccestitle140

You need to put it in the context of the rest of the study, it's only to do with closing the schools in March, not reopening them and specifically states the limitations.

EDIT: Having said that, the Department need to acknowledge that schools have to send staff and children home relative to outbreaks as they occur, or due to testing, and shouldn't be ordering principals to reopen when there is an outbreak.

Jucifer wrote: »
    a different alcohol free one was provided to students. Hope there no effect on pregnancy.

If alcohol-free sanitiser will be found causing pregnancy i'd expect it will be also recalled :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've been listening to this latest debacle on Today with Claire Byrne, a school principal and Chair of scholls board interviewed. Principal got a text around 11pm from a friend with a link on social media, concern etc started to creep in.

Chair contacted and after half hour decision made to close the school. I presume message then sent out to parents etc.

Just a humble thought, could they not have sent out a message asking Parents to give their children a bottle of hand sanitizer until problem resolved? Whilst children's safety an absolute priority, I'm getting a sense there's a little over reaction here and I have to question what I perceive as a very, very quick decision to close the school, a day before mid term break. Last time I checked, there's not a sensible household in the country that doesn't have a bottle of sanitizer.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so how much methanol is in this hand sanitzier, if it says alcohol denat that can be part methanol [the label of the product thats been recalled doesn't say alcohol denat] https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2013:049:0055:0061:EN:PDF but that would tiny percentages
    IrelandA base is produced by mixing the following:— 90 % by volume ethanol,— 9,5 % by volume wood naphtha,— 0,5 % by volume crude pyridine.To each 10 hectolitres of the base add:— 3,75 litres mineral naphtha (petroleum oil),— 1,5 grams methyl violet.Note: The wood naphtha and crude pyridine components of the base may be substituted with 10 % by volume of methanol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I've been listening to this latest debacle on Today with Claire Byrne, a school principal and Chair of scholls board interviewed. Principal got a text around 11pm from a friend with a link on social media, concern etc started to creep in.

Chair contacted and after half hour decision made to close the school. I presume message then sent out to parents etc.

Just a humble thought, could they not have sent out a message asking Parents to give their children a bottle of hand sanitizer until problem resolved? Whilst children's safety an absolute priority, I'm getting a sense there's a little over reaction here and I have to question what I perceive as a very, very quick decision to close the school, a day before mid term break. Last time I checked, there's not a sensible household in the country that doesn't have a bottle of sanitizer.

Again the message being given in schools is that this is the sanitizer product being provided for teachers, not students. So unless there has been a mix up students should be safe

so how much methanol is in this hand sanitzier, if it says alcohol denat that can be part methanol https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2013:049:0055:0061:EN:PDF but that would tiny percentages

I think it has to be said that the fault lies with whoever has approved it for use in the market aswell. ECHA maybe?

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I think it has to be said that the fault lies with whoever has approved it for use in the market aswell. ECHA maybe?

https://publicapps.agriculture.gov.ie/prs/home

INFORMATION SOURCES This MSDS is prepared base d on the information received from the product owner.
    ISSUED BY UMIT KALFA /TIS SANAYIVE DIS TICARET Certificated from the Turkish Standards Institute ( TSE) to prepare Safety Data Sheets

certified by Turkish person/company
    although it says it was made in Europe, I guess some people say Turkey is in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Both our Kids bring small bottles of Sanitizer to school every day and did in February/March.

so how much methanol is in this hand sanitzier, if it says alcohol denat that can be part methanol [the label of the product thats been recalled doesn't say alcohol denat] https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2013:049:0055:0061:EN:PDF but that would tiny percentages

Obviously enough to trigger as serious a response as recalling it immediately and telling schools they may close if they haven't got an alternative.

As far as I know KKDIK is similar to REACH but would still need to be ECHA compliant.

At least they're honest? :mad:

"Keeping the schools and childcare facilities open is hugely important. The availability of childcare is essential to the effective running of business. This will minimise the impact of the Level 5 lockdown measures on many sectors where remote working is possible. Maintaining activity in the construction and manufacturing sectors is also to be welcomed.

https://www.dublinchamber.ie/media/news/october-2020/dublin-chamber-statement-re-level-5-restrictions?fbclid=IwAR0vWuD4KQjczUEWuDZz0luD5AkAjJSk4-T3g-6a-i2WxWo6ii4bRE1QMq0

• Advertisement

It would be a good idea but some article appeared in papers just before schools went back suggesting the children would drink the hand sanitiser, that it had alcohol in it, if they had their own supply, so not to send it in with children. I remember it being discussed on the tv. Created a minor kerfuffle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

It would be a good idea but some article appeared in papers just before schools went back suggesting the children would drink the hand sanitiser, that it had alcohol in it, if they had their own supply, so not to send it in with children. I remember it being discussed on the tv. Created a minor kerfuffle

Seriously?!

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Seriously?!
    yup:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

So even school principals of all people are now saying there is a cover up: https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1022/1173303-irish-schools-covid/

Failed parents who can't cope with their own children and are forcing the virus down the rest of society's throats are the real villains in all this. There need to be consequences. "We're all in this together" - more like never have more people had to pay for the failures of others. I hope your "peace" at home to "do your work" is worth endless lockdowns, spiraling cases, and a destroyed economy?

But sure go ahead and tell me how school principals are making this up and the DofE is right?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54656456

Yet Norma says only 1 in 10 schools down here have had any sort of covid issues.

Interestingly up north their official figures show 2030 in school going cases yet down herei think officially they say we've far less than a quarter of that number.

10% of school staff were absent from the school buildings the week 6-13 October.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54656456

10% of school staff were absent from the school buildings the week 6-13 October.

They were at a rave nothing to see here:cool::cool:

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1023/1173372-coronavirus-ireland/

Risk of exposure 100 times more than in June

Just not in schools:D:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

"Keeping the schools and childcare facilities open is hugely important. The availability of childcare is essential to the effective running of business. This will minimise the impact of the Level 5 lockdown measures on many sectors where remote working is possible. Maintaining activity in the construction and manufacturing sectors is also to be welcomed.

https://www.dublinchamber.ie/media/news/october-2020/dublin-chamber-statement-re-level-5-restrictions?fbclid=IwAR0vWuD4KQjczUEWuDZz0luD5AkAjJSk4-T3g-6a-i2WxWo6ii4bRE1QMq0

Why wouldn't they be honest? So we should take their taxes for schools, health, welfare and so on then then criticize them when they point out it's not possible to work with kids around. The same socialist brigade will then whinge when there are no houses built or when rural internet scheme is not progressing or why there are cancer screening waiting lists.

If you have people minding their kids at home they won't be working.

articles here about packaging made to appeal to kids ends up making them think they can drink it https://www.google.com/search?q=children+would+drink+the+hand+sanitiser&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwju-NKVu8rsAhWRh1wKHdWeBvkQ_AUoBHoECAYQBg&biw=2048&bih=1038 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Reminds me of a letter we got telling us to tell the kids not to be licking each others faces. Older kids were telling younger ones to lick each other for the laugh, and of course they were doing it.

Thanks, this is looking like a true reason behing the unresponsible decision to keep schools open during L5.

What I do not understand is motivation of these posters who recently was telling bull...t to me that the reason is the poor will lose something if schools will be closed for 1.5 month, child abuse will grow and apocalipse will happen because of such dramatic interruption in the process of education :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement