Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If we continue as we are now, schools will be closed for long periods without a proper plan in place for remote learning.
    I dont understand why so many people have a problem with preparing for remote learning, so it can work when in inevitably becomes necessary.

Absolutely having to homeschool would be easier if there was a government plan that every school has to follow. I fear that after midterm if the schools close ( which I think would be best for public health) we are back to some schools doing an excellent job on remote learning their pupils and other schools doing bare minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Give over. All those workers are not parents. Lol.

Once and for all, Jinglejangle: Blended. Remote. Learning. Plan. = one solution

Rotating work schedules = another solution

Childcare subsidy for people if the gov't would get off their árses = another solution.

If homeschooling is so easy, then why are we paying teachers in schools?

We could make all the teachers redundant, produce one centralised plan for remote learning, pay every family a small amount for remote schooling and save the country a fortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

blanch152 wrote: »

We could make all the teachers redundant, produce one centralised plan for remote learning, pay every family a small amount for remote schooling and save the country a fortune.

Point out where it was said it was easy. You can't because it wasn't said. Your whole post is irrelevant hyperbole.

Also, you obviously have zero understanding of what blended remote learning (via the school teacher) actually is.

Edited: and what of their social development?

Point out where it was said it was easy. You can't because it wasn't said. Your whole post is irrelevant hyperbole.

Also, you obviously have zero understanding of what blended remote learning (via the school teacher) actually is.

Edited: and what of their social development?

Well, then we agree. It is vitally important to keep the schools open for the education and social development of children.

Where an outbreak occurs, local measures appropriate to the particular situation should be taken.

All pretty much what the Department is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

If we continue as we are now, schools will be closed for long periods without a proper plan in place for remote learning.
    I dont understand why so many people have a problem with preparing for remote learning, so it can work when in inevitably becomes necessary.

Theyre all well able to order clothes online, check bank accounts online, download Netflix etc. Theyre just having mental block about school online. Stuck in the dark ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

If homeschooling is so easy, then ...

Anybody promiced it will be easy? Nothing is easy with lockdown. Schools should be closed for the duration of L5. If somebody unable to organise homeschooling this is not their fault, they should have opportunity to make up later, after re-opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sure we can all grow our food and rear our own animals for slaughter. No need for shops or farmers so. No need for truck drivers either seeing as we all grow our own produce.

I've heard and seen alot of rubbish spouted on boards over the years but the above takes the biscuit.

If you are going to try and have a discussion at least have some semblance of reality to it.

Thats me wrote: »
    Anybody promiced it will be easy? Nothing is easy with lockdown. Schools should be closed for the duration of L5. If somebody unable to organise homeschooling this is not their fault, they should have opportunity to make up later, after re-opening.

Why should schools be closed for the duration of Level 5?

Hospitals are open, fire stations are open, meat factories are open, police stations are open, physiotherapists are open, essential retail is open. On the same basis, education, which is an essential service should also be open, especially when the risks in schools are less than in many of those other places, especially when the correct protocols are followed.

To minimise chances for virus to spread across population and to prevent closure of services enumerated by you... Aren't you teacher BTW? :D

Hospitals are open, fire stations are open, meat factories are open, police stations are open, physiotherapists are open, essential retail is open. On the same basis, education, which is an essential service should also be open, especially when the risks in schools are less than in many of those other places, especially when the correct protocols are followed.

Did you see the report from the north today where official figures say that half of the schools have had cases? Contrast that with Norma saying that officially 10% have had Covid incidents down here. Someone somewhere is massaging numbers, question is it north or south of the border?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

blanch152 wrote:
    Well, then we agree. It is vitally important to keep the schools open for the education and social development of children.
    There's such a thing as temporary measures.
    We call want our kids in school getting educated and having social interaction with their peers.
    We all want them to be healthy and safe too.
    Keeping schools open at this time is very questionable. We have no definitive proof that it's safe. This virus isn't even a year old so we don't know anything about long term affects from it.

blanch152 wrote:
    Where an outbreak occurs, local measures appropriate to the particular situation should be taken.

We are seeing huge errors made by every department. We are seeing secrecy come to the fore in the department of education.
    How can you trust people who are trying to keep secrets which seem to be with the intent of not letting us know the true nature of covid cases in schools?

We agree to a point. I also think that when transmission is so high, we need to use the tools available to us. I also think that in general, we should implement a hybrid remote learning plan. There are students, staff and families at high risk. There is constantly going to be a need to quarantine and recover from illness. People need choice. We need to reduce class sizes. Do you agree with that?

Do you know if the government has stated as part of the exit strategy that local measures will be undertaken going forward? It seems so contradictory. On the one hand I agree local measures are needed, but there is so much mixing in society I'm not sure it's effective.

Because schools are places shown to have transmission of the virus full of students and staff able to pass on the virus as well as anybody else. Here in Ireland our classrooms are often small, overcrowded, unventilated, and especially in primary, not masked. Many (or most?) schools could not properly implement the 1m distance of desks as required. Hence the "where possible" language every other paragraph in that document. Pods are a joke. The risks in school are not less, they are increased.
    Dropped my children off this morning to school in their costumes. You know what I saw in 2 of the class rooms as I walked by? Almost every single child up and about moving around the classroom looking at each other's costumes, running around, passing balls and touching each other's costume parts. I saw two girls together fixing one's hair. Controlled environment adhering to protocols my f-g eye.

Oh and the usual unmasked mammies in the carpark having their daily morning chats in each others faces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Because schools are places shown to have transmission of the virus full of students and staff able to pass on the virus as well as anybody else. Here in Ireland our classrooms are often small, overcrowded, unventilated, and especially in primary, not masked. Many (or most?) schools could not properly implement the 1m distance of desks as required. Hence the "where possible" language every other paragraph in that document. Pods are a joke. The risks in school are not less, they are increased.
    Dropped my children off this morning to school in their costumes. You know what I saw in 2 of the class rooms as I walked by? Almost every single child up and about moving around the classroom looking at each other's costumes, running around, passing balls and touching each other's costume parts. I saw two girls together fixing one's hair. Controlled environment adhering to protocols my f-g eye.

Oh and the usual unmasked mammies in the carpark having their daily morning chats in each others faces.

Up to and including 2nd aren’t required to be socially distant . I’d put money on it that 99% of schools can’t do 2 m distance , never mind 1 .

Up to and including 2nd aren’t required to be socially distant . I’d put money on it that 99% of schools can’t do 2 m distance , never mind 1 .

Madness.

My kids and the classrooms I saw this morning were both older groups, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

frank8211 wrote: »
    Theyre all well able to order clothes online, check bank accounts online, download Netflix etc. Theyre just having mental block about school online. Stuck in the dark ages
    and then they might wonder why chinese students based in china would be way ahead of theirs on certain subjects (like Maths) ... makes you wonder allright.

See Gillian De Gascun told RTE that the shutting of the lab is due to a Covid outbreak in one of the two lab teams.

Wonder are those posters who have been on here suggesting that outbreaks in schools must be down to teachers not following or breaking the protocols, also going to level the same accusation at the NVRL staff?

Maybe they were licking the swabs..

This distance just a red herring. It does not guarantee any safety any way. With each exhalation infected person does exhale millions of virions and this aerosol can hang in the air for very long time. If the room ventilated this aerosol will move with air streams narrowing the threat to those who are down stream only. But no guarantee of absolute safety any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Madness.

My kids and the classrooms I saw this morning were both older groups, by the way.

You were in the school this morning?

Lillyfae wrote: »

Wondered that myself. We have a strict no parents inside the gate policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We can see inside the windows as we walk by our school.
    Would have thought that would be fairly common.

We can see inside the windows as we walk by our school.
    Would have thought that would be fairly common.

Is the school building directly on the road?

We have signs at all the gates saying no admittance to parents beyond this point along with the school number and email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Is the school building directly on the road?

We have signs at all the gates saying no admittance to parents beyond this point along with the school number and email address.

Its probably about 30 or 40 meters from the fence to the wall of the school.
    You can clearly see into the rooms walking home. When mine was in a classroom on that side of the school he used to wave out to me as i was walking home.
    Now im not the one who made that post by the way.

I just didnt think that was unusual for a school at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thank god it is the mid term break and we all dont have to worry about school next week. Thank you to all the teachers on here and out there that have worked so hard to keep our children as safe as possible in the current climate. I know it has been very challenging. I hope you all enjoy a well deserved break next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

No

Did you see the report from the north today where official figures say that half of the schools have had cases? Contrast that with Norma saying that officially 10% have had Covid incidents down here. Someone somewhere is massaging numbers, question is it north or south of the border?

The North has three times the number of cases per head of population than us.

The North has three times the number of cases per head of population than us.

Then using that logic, the north should be 30%, instead they are another 66% higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

See Gillian De Gascun told RTE that the shutting of the lab is due to a Covid outbreak in one of the two lab teams.

Cillian's lesser known but equally accomplished virologist sister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Oh the horror of it all. Kids having fun playing together. The virus is no worse than a bad flu and for younger people the flu actually poses a greater risk. School's are back a few months now and everything is going very well. Yes there have been a few cases but the symptoms for the vast majority of people under 45 are no worse than that of a common cold. The hysteria and fear mongering needs to end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

treade1 wrote: »
    Oh the horror of it all. Kids having fun playing together. The virus is no worse than a bad flu and for younger people the flu actually poses a greater risk. School's are back a few months now and everything is going very well. Yes there have been a few cases but the symptoms for the vast majority of people under 45 are no worse than that of a common cold. The hysteria and fear mongering needs to end.

Kids have less symptoms. What about the workers though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

treade1 wrote:
    You really are clueless.

Hoping this was an irony.

Lillyfae wrote: »

I didn't say in, now did I. Dropping my kids off. The windows and one door to two different classrooms are right along the footpath. One can even see into them driving out the carpark. Satisfied? Yourself and Blanch would love to catch me out behaving badly though, I know. No such luck today I'm afraid. ;)

Jaysus wirelussdude, expected better from you though! :p

I didn't say in, now did I. Dropping my kids off. The windows and one door to two different classrooms are right along the footpath. One can even see into them driving out the carpark. Satisfied?

Do you have any hard evidence to confirm it was exactly as you said? :p

• Advertisement

Jaysus wirelussdude, expected better from you though! :p

Just wondered. It did sound like you were in the actual school building by the way you described it.

Good god. Let me guess, anti-masker, anti-science, and anti-vaxxer? :pac: :rolleyes: Isn't there a pseudoscience forum on here somewhere, I think he/she is lost...

Do you have any hard evidence to confirm it was exactly as you said? :p

haha.. why would I be IN the school now? Feel sorry enough for them teachers, wouldn't force me to be in the cramped, hardly ventilated space with a bunch of unmasked virus spreaders. C'mon! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

North is a different jurisdiction, with different numbers of infections and different rules. Yes maybe Norma is some evil mastermind or maybe just maybe the numbers and response to those numbers isn't the same in two different countries.

Good god. Let me guess, anti-masker, anti-science, and anti-vaxxer? :pac: :rolleyes: Isn't there a pseudoscience forum on here somewhere, I think he/she is lost...

I think this thread is full pseudo science. I must say there isn't a thread on boards that I frequent where fake news bs and glofication of Facebook and Twitter nonsense is as prevalent. So if the poster is looking for pseudo science they are in good company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

There's no talking to you guys. It's not the end of the world. The Infection Fatality Rate for anyone under 70 is < 0.05%. For flu is it 0.1%. For people under 45 the risk is almost zero. Lockdowns don't work. Covid-19 is a seasonal respiratory virus. Cases will fall in summer and rise in winter just like what happens with regular cold and flus. If masks worked we wouldn't be having 1200 positive cases per day. The reality is that the virus has been in the country since last November and the School year was proceeding just fine until panic set in on March 12th. Yes many teachers and pupils were out of school sick in January but it was no different than any other School year. The Death rates for the first 6 months of 2020 are available and the reality is that that although there was a peak in deaths among elderly people in April 2020 the total number of deaths for the first 6 months of 2020 is actually lower than the first 6 months of 2018. People died in April instead of in May & June.
    What I am saying is essentially good news in that the virus is significantly less deadly than initially feared - Coronavirus should be respected just like flu should be but the hysteria generated is irrational. The big killers in Ireland are cancer, heart disease and stroke. Alcohol, cigarettes, lack of exercise and unhealthy diets are all major problems. 3 elderly people passed away yesterday with Coronavirus but what about the other 80 people who died of other illnesses. The response has been disproportionate. Who's going to pay the teachers salaries when the private sector has been decimated?

haha.. why would I be IN the school now? Feel sorry enough for them teachers, wouldn't force me to be in the cramped, hardly ventilated space with a bunch of unmasked virus spreaders. C'mon! :rolleyes:

Written confirmation from 2-3 eye witnesses would work better than these pathetic excuses :cool:

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think this thread is full pseudo science. I must say there isn't a thread on boards that I frequent where fake news bs and glofication of Facebook and Twitter nonsense is as prevalent. So if the poster is looking for pseudo science they are in good company.

No better person to speak to that..

Written confirmation from 2-3 eye witnesses would work better than these pathetic excuses :cool:

I'm on it. Will have a full report for you in the morning, PPS numbers included. :D I'm sure the few parents next to me looking in at all the kiddo's as well and laughing away will vouch for me. :)

meeeeh wrote: »

Pot, kettle, black comes to mind.

Schools are not places shown to have transmission of the virus - all the evidence to date points to schools as being lower risk than care homes, hospitals, meat factories, pubs and restaurants, as well as many other locations.

The unmasked mammies are a real problem, but that is not on the school.

No better person to speak to that..

Says someone who misrepresents reports and newspaper articles, screams about media cover up and considers Facebook hard news. Trump would be proud.

Pot, kettle, black comes to mind.

Find me one statement where I dismissed research as being fake or took Twitter at face value. One. At the same time you can also count how many times you did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Schools are not places shown to have transmission of the virus - all the evidence to date points to schools as being lower risk than care homes, hospitals, meat factories, pubs and restaurants, as well as many other locations.

The unmasked mammies are a real problem, but that is not on the school.

I've seen parents of both genders chatting without masks outside school. I'm uncomfortable with the "mammies" caricature as if it's the 1950's and the hysterical wimmin clearly don't understand the rules. Y'know, them with their small brains and all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement