Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Our school have the heating on and windows closed already
    Talk to your LWR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Our school have the heating on and windows closed already

I think we've made the decision to hold our kids out at least another week if there's no announcement extending the break.We live in the worst county for covid rate, so it's not going well here. Just in the last few days I've heard of so many people testing positive, even the builder we've recently had out to the house (outdoor work only thank god) and his two kids.

If the school windows here were to be closed though there is no way in hell mine are going back. So far the school have been sticking to keeping the windows open (after that one earlier hiccup) and requests to layer/bring coats is still the plan as far as I know. If that changes though then they won't be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I think we've made the decision to hold our kids out at least another week if there's no announcement extending the break.We live in the worst county for covid rate, so it's not going well here. Just in the last few days I've heard of so many people testing positive, even the builder we've recently had out to the house (outdoor work only thank god) and his two kids.

If the school windows here were to be closed though there is no way in hell mine are going back. So far the school have been sticking to keeping the windows open (after that one earlier hiccup) and requests to layer/bring coats is still the plan as far as I know. If that changes though then they won't be going.

We are going to wait until this weekend and make a decision then. Neither school has cases yet - that we know of!
    We had always said Level 5 but we are going to give it a couple of more days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Talk to your LWR.

Our LWR in management's pocket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Talk to your LWR.

Alof of schools, the VP or Principal are the LWR.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Expect to see the schools being closed to start slowly feeding in to the case numbers over the course of the next week or so.

JP100 wrote: »
    Expect to see the schools being closed to start slowly feeding in to the case numbers over the course of the next week or so.

Great to see the effect closing schools a week early has already had. I am presuming they must have? There can be no other explanation?

530815.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

You'd wonder where ventilation/open windows stands coming into Winter with minimum temperatures allowed in schools? You're supposed to let management know if temp is below 17.2 and they fix it, find a suitable alternative or send the kids home.

(Edited to add that TUI say 17.2 C, but INTO and ASTI say 16C, never knew they were different).

Yeah I've been wondering that one too. Think our LWR emailed Norma Foley about it. No reply yet (insert surprised look here) but her team might come back on it, who knows.

Great to see the effect closing schools a week early has already had. I am presuming they must have? There can be no other explanation?

Are you joking? Schools didn't close early, last Friday was always the midterm break date.
    There is no possible way that the closing of the schools could have had any effect on the numbers. It would take weeks and a longer closure to see that.

Of course there are other explanations. The contract testing and tracing system collapsed. More than 10,000 people have fallen through the hole.
    The large testing centre at UCD has closed last weekend and the next.
    Who is processing all those tests then properly tracing?
    The HSE claim it will have no effect but I call bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think sarcasm detector might be broken...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are you joking?

He is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Our LWR in management's pocket :)
    Documentation says that if you don't feel issue has been resolved by LWR, you can contact union independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Well schools being off is great as an individual who may be infectious has not being in a crowded school for the past 4 days. It only takes 4 or 5 days sometimes less from the point of an individual being infected by somebody else and then turning up at a test centre. I expect that to slowly start feeding in to case numbers over the next week or so.

I actually believe the infection numbers will probably fall because of school holidays but it will be very hard to tell what's due to holidays and what's due to level 5. Anyway it seems now that level 3 already worked at least up to a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Of course there are other explanations. The contract testing and tracing system collapsed. More than 10,000 people have fallen through the hole.
    The large testing centre at UCD has closed last weekend and the next.
    Who is processing all those tests then properly tracing?
    The HSE claim it will have no effect but I call bs.

Hello. Indeed the effect is negligible. Sensationalist headlines, or, the more provocative for the sake of it, journalists, have been looking for some bad news on this one. But anyone following the detail and understanding the real implications knows it has had no negative effect on control of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

But anyone following the detail and understanding the real implications knows it has had no negative effect on control of the virus.

Ha-ha, where these anyones with their details? You failed to answer where costs from closing schools are going from, now you refer "anyone". Since you are systematically failing to provide facts to support your statements, but unable to stop flooding yourself, you can ask moderator to help you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

Heard from friends back in Belgium today. So last week there were talks of closing the schools earlier (midterm break is supposed to start next Monday there) and government said no, no need, we keep schools open as usual. Yesterday they suddenly announced that secondary schools were going to close this Wed (i.e. 3 days before official term). And today many local authorities / BOM have decided to close primary school from today onward, for many of them because between sick kids and sick staff there's no point anymore.

My friends are especially angry as there doesn't seem to be any "plan B" in place (be it distance learning, emergency childcare for front-line workers etc). It all looks just like last spring: pretending everything is going on, before closing in a panic over a matter of hours.

I know Belgian numbers are horrendous at the moment (not only cases but hospital situation too). But bear in mind that number wise (per head), Belgium is only 20 days ahead of Ireland. Let's hope Level 5 really substantially and durably changes the trend. And that schools have alternative plans on file...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

deliege wrote: »
    Heard from friends back in Belgium today. So last week there were talks of closing the schools earlier (midterm break is supposed to start next Monday there) and government said no, no need, we keep schools open as usual. Yesterday they suddenly announced that secondary schools were going to close this Wed (i.e. 3 days before official term). And today many local authorities / BOM have decided to close primary school from today onward, for many of them because between sick kids and sick staff there's no point anymore.

My friends are especially angry as there doesn't seem to be any "plan B" in place (be it distance learning, emergency childcare for front-line workers etc). It all looks just like last spring: pretending everything is going on, before closing in a panic over a matter of hours.

I know Belgian numbers are horrendous at the moment (not only cases but hospital situation too). But bear in mind that number wise (per head), Belgium is only 20 days ahead of Ireland. Let's hope Level 5 really substantially and durably changes the trend. And that schools have alternative plans on file...

Was just going to ask about that - are any of the European Countries considering Lockdowns going to include the closing of schools and moving them to remote learning in their plans ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

meeeeh wrote: »
    I actually believe the infection numbers will probably fall because of school holidays but it will be very hard to tell what's due to holidays and what's due to level 5.

Yes waters muddy enough to keep the schools open if there's any sort of fall in the figures over the next couple of weeks...

• Advertisement

I think sarcasm detector might be broken...

Thank god it's me, ha ha :pac:
    Hello. Indeed the effect is negligible. Sensationalist headlines, or, the more provocative for the sake of it, journalists, have been looking for some bad news on this one. But anyone following the detail and understanding the real implications knows it has had no negative effect on control of the virus.

You can't answer direct questions and you conveniently ignore criticisms. You're not an authority on anything and provide no proof of anything yet you think you've got some kind of special importance or legitimacy here. You don't.

Yes waters muddy enough to keep the schools open if there's any sort of fall in the figures over the next couple of weeks...

Because there is no need to close schools. Numbers are already falling. The point of lockdown is to close as few things as possible and still get the numbers down.

Similarly to the person who compared us to Belgium, we are not even close to the trajectory Belgium (or Czechia) is on. Their numbers are extremely high while ours started falling from approx 1200 per day.

The positivity rate in schools makes no sense at all.

Those kids who don't shed it at the same rate as adults are actually higher.

2.7% for primary against 2.1% for secondary.

Because there is no need to close schools. Numbers are already falling. The point of lockdown is to close as few things as possible and still get the numbers down.

Similarly to the person who compared us to Belgium, we are not even close to the trajectory Belgium (or Czechia) is on. Their numbers are extremely high while ours started falling from approx 1200 per day.

From RTE article today:

The Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan told a press briefing that "we are not at a stage that we can draw any conclusion that there is a trend from the fewer number of cases".

Although there have been fewer than 1,000 cases a day over the past four days, we "definitely cannot say that we have turned that particular corner".

Younger kids have less distancing measures and don't wear masks.

Masks are supposed to be very effective at reducing infections. You are not comparing like with like.

From RTE article today:

The Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan told a press briefing that "we are not at a stage that we can draw any conclusion that there is a trend from the fewer number of cases".

Although there have been fewer than 1,000 cases a day over the past four days, we "definitely cannot say that we have turned that particular corner".

We can probably say we are not Belgium. We went with restrictions quicker and harder, if we end up in position of Belgium then the restrictions don't work.

However I will bet you that whatever dr. Holohan is saying the numbers will fall. The difference from level 5 is not even showing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

This will hit you hard and may be a shock to the system. The schools have been closed since Friday and numbers have dropped since then.

If we are to believe the HSE claim that there is a 1-2 turnaround results on test then the closing of the schools are a bigger indicator that the spread of the virus is rampant and as a result of schools rather than we are succeeding in containment due to lockdown measures.

This is coming from a parent primarily who wants nothing more than schools to stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭8k71ps

To close as few things as possible absolutely isn't the point of a circuit breaker lockdown, it's to cut down community transmission. If the community transmission rates aren't significantly decreased than the moment we open up the country we'll see the rates soar pretty quickly

They also have a much larger population, but I take the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

This will hit you hard and may be a shock to the system. The schools have been closed since Friday and numbers have dropped since then.

If we are to believe the HSE claim that there is a 1-2 turnaround results on test then the closing of the schools are a bigger indicator that the spread of the virus is rampant and as a result of schools rather than we are succeeding in containment due to lockdown measures.

This is coming from a parent primarily who wants nothing more than schools to stay open.

Today is Tuesday. If the schools were making a difference over such a short time frame, surely we would see the effect every week after the weekend?

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Today is Tuesday. If the schools were making a difference over such a short time frame, surely we would see the effect every week after the weekend?

There is the possibility that there is a psychological aspect to it. If you're not stuffed like sardines in a room 5 days of every week, you're less likely to think you have covid if you do feel under the weather

• Advertisement

Anyone else watching the presser get the idea that the top table seemed to be under the impression that these public health teams for schools that the department are making a big deal about putting in place now have always been there?

taffy lulu wrote: »
    No wonder there are a lack of results from this weekend! It’ll be the same next weekend. Nothing to see here, trot on!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/one-of-country-s-main-labs-unable-to-process-covid-19-tests-over-weekend-due-to-staff-shortages-1.4389343

They do approx 600 tests per day so isn't a significant story at all. As far as I'm aware they passed their workload to an external lab.

The schools have been closed since Friday and numbers have dropped since then.

Not that simple :) Delay between triggering factor and response in the stats is huge. New cases started dropping before L5 began - that was presumably response on L3 restrictions introduced couple weeks earlier. Similarly results of L5 and school closure will be delayed. And it will be difficult to establish on which factors it depends - L5/schools/weather/whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Tuesday's results relate to swabs processed on Monday, which relate to tests taken on Sunday. The nonsense that numbers have dropped because schools have closed is bizarre.

They do approx 600 tests per day so isn't a significant story at all. As far as I'm aware they passed their workload to an external lab.

They were doing 10k tests a week, I think that's the mean average perhaps? Tbqh it'll be fairly obvious since there'll be a testing backlog so we'll see during the week

Tuesday's results relate to swabs processed on Monday, which relate to tests taken on Sunday. The nonsense that numbers have dropped because schools have closed is bizarre.

That's not necessarily true if the midterm decreases the number of students or related contacts being tested.

8k71ps wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true if the midterm decreases the number of students or related contacts being tested.

What is not necessarily true? It's completely clear that schools being closed for mid term could not possibly have impacted yesterday's swab results, it is far far too early to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Oh, I know that. There are some ridiculous claims on here. I presume there are few if any science teachers on the thread? The testing 1 child who is positive results in a positivity rate of 1 in 30 was a personal favourite.

Oh, I know that. There are some ridiculous claims on here. I presume there are few if any science teachers on the thread? The testing 1 child who is positive results in a positivity rate of 1 in 30 was a personal favourite.

Ha ha. Yes, sorry, I was agreeing with you and supporting your point.

8k71ps wrote: »
    They were doing 10k tests a week, I think that's the mean average perhaps? Tbqh it'll be fairly obvious since there'll be a testing backlog so we'll see during the week

The NVRL was never doing 10k tests a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Incubation period is according to our experts 2-4 days. So no, weekends will not make a huge amount of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Mine too, since I was being sarcastic, but glad to entertain

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

More European developments, Italy has moved 75% of secondary school classes online.Speculation that Macron will announce a 4 week lockdown tomorrow moving secondary schools to online classes.

Incubation period is according to our experts 2-4 days. So no, weekends will not make a huge amount of difference.

What is incubation period in the case of COVID? 1 week or 2 of symptom-less stage is not unusual. During the symptom-less period infected person does spread a virus. When significant symptoms appearing - it was likely virus is already killed by immune system to that stage and immune system started to kill debris left after virus, including organs containing this debris. But i'm not sure about incubation period - does it exists and how long it takes between cells infected and they start producing new generations of the virus.

The testing 1 child who is positive results in a positivity rate of 1 in 30 was a personal favourite.

So what is your expectation what could be result of testing 30 children of 30?

Thats me wrote: »
    So what is your expectation what could be result of testing 30 children of 30?
    If we follow the positivity rate in a the general testing which is currently just under 6% you are looking at 2 out of 30.

However since positivity rate is less than 3% in schools that means there is good chance only three quarters of one child would be positive. Testing 30 out of 30 would also mean those who are less of a close contact and less likely to be infected would be tested then I suspect positivity rate would be even less for schools. So maybe one half of child would test positive.

This is fun. In any case the more you test less the positivity rate would be (if we take it that the reproduction no. is 1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That was completely bizarre and made me fear for the future of our kids. If that is evidence of the quality of thinking among teachers, closing schools and homeschooling might well be best for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not at all, makes perfect sense when you think about it. Second-level students are better able to follow protocols and avoid spreading the disease, even if they are more likely to be infectious.

Four year olds are more like the ASTI - they don’t understand what needs to be done.

On a serious note, great news that the positivity rate is one-third that in the community, it shows that schools are not contributing to the spread of COVID in any meaningful way, and therefore should remain open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not at all, makes perfect sense when you think about it. Second-level students are better able to follow protocols.

Thanks for that. I like to start the day with a good chuckle.

It's obvious you've never observed teenagers' behaviour in their natural habitat, from a professional perspective.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement