Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommissioning old laptop HD as a blank external HD

Options
  • 04-10-2020 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some guidance here. My plan is to clear an old laptop hard drive which I have attached a USB adapter to, so that I can use it as an external hard drive. Any programs out there that will do this easily? Is it just as simple as deleting everything on the drive or should I use a program to do it?

Thanks for your help!

Colbarr

Comments

Just plug it in and format it in Windows disk management..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you can format it with windows

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If it contains very sensitive data you should first write the complete surface with zeroes and then create a new partition table and partition for your new use.

Otherwise just delete the existing partition/s and create new partitions and format it/them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If it contains very sensitive data you should first write the complete surface with zeroes and then create a new partition table and partition for your new use.

Otherwise just delete the existing partition/s and create new partitions and format it/them.

Aye quick format it unless you need to properly wipe it due to highly sensitive information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Diskpart is another windows utility you could use, with care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement