Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hatpatrick, it is all well and good to say what you might do or plan to do, but words are easy (Trump has claimed to have a new healthcare plan for 4 years!). The reality is that Trump ran on a ticket of being a new broom, anti Washington, drain the swamp, what have you got to lose. That is very different this time, and the best way to force Trump to talk about his lack of performance is to hold him to account for what he has done rather than ignore that and focus on the future.

Trump has a very low approval rating, so reminding those watching the debate, that no matter what lines Trump comes out with, remind people of why they have him in such low approval. Do you really want 4 more years of this.

Unfortuntately, for the US, that is clearly a good tactic and doesn't tie Biden down in terms of policy should he get elected. Very different to 2016 when HC was effectivley seen by many as the incumbent, or at least a continuation of it. So pointing out what may happen in the future with Trump was never a good option when she should have displayed how she would solve the problems.

In terms of the lines having an effect, Trump's entire schick is based on 'zingers'. People still mention his "you'd be in jail' line against HC. They do have an effect, at least in peoples memory if not in terms of how they vote.

A debate should be about policies, what are the key aims, differences etc. But the US doesn't seem to care too much about policy, it is more what poltical team they support or which person they prefer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Funniest part for me was when they were talking about energy

Trump: "I know more about wind than you do, it's very expensive, it kills allllll the birds, it's very intermittent, and they make the windmills in Germany and China"

My favourite part was when Trump said China paid the tariffs and Biden pinned him down that the the US tax payer paid them. Trump looked confused, he doesn’t know how Tariffs work.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Going to hit Paddy Power hard this morning.. Biden lost Pennsylvania last night. Pour money on it.
    A double whammy , fill the wallett and it increases chance of a Trump win.

Great debate, worth the late night. Well moderated, shows the wisdom of Trump calling her out before the debate to keep her toeing the line.

The Tony Bobulinski press conference 30mins before the debate kicked off was a classic TV moment. A former Biden family business partner who confirmed that he was the recipient of one of Hunter Biden’s emails linked to investment with a Chinese energy company, said Thursday he will give all of his materials to the FBI.
    Only one channel carried it live, and the fake news are ignoring it completely.
    Lets see whats on the phones he waved about that he said he is handing over to the FBI. Unlike the phones Hilary gave the FBI they have not had a bleachbit attack nor been hammer tested.

The image of Joe Biden checking his watch near the end says it all... he is wondering what time this is done so he can go back to his basement to play some AmongUs with AOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

"I take full responsibility, it's not my fault!"

The cult of Trump in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Trump has gone from 4/1 to 7/4 in the space of 3 weeks.

Some momentum behind him

4 more years !!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Some momentum behind him

4 more years !!!

I know PP are already offering me cashout for more than I bet.
    I thought the money I made backing Trump in 2016 was easy , but this time round its proving even easier to make a profit from a Trump win.

Anyone see the images of Obama licking envelopes in the Biden ad...
    Comedy gold and desperation stakes.
    Democrats have so much faith in the polls and the victory they have the former President of hte USA sitting at adsk showing peopel how to put a piece of paper in an envelope and then lick it.. I guess he is appealing to their base.

So Joes back in his basement I guess for the next 10 days.
    Has anyone seen Kamala, she is in hiding too.

I can see 2021 NYT Best Seller list already .
    'How We Lost the 2020 ELection ' by the man who built the basement in Joes house.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Some momentum behind him

4 more years !!!

Trump was never even 2/1 never mind 4/1, his highest price was about 7/4 a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Some momentum behind him

4 more years !!!

Any time I’ve looked, Trump has been 7/4 or 15/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Unlike the first debate, Trump didn't obviously lose this debate.

It comes down to which style you prefer, because the styles are so different there was little actual "debate".

Trump's remaining supporters will be happy, but I doubt he convinced anyone to return to him. Biden was solid. I don't think it's going to change anything, and it was Trump who needed this to be a clear win.

Any time I’ve looked, Trump has been 7/4 or 15/8.

There's a lot of gamblers that seem to have bet on Trump winning who are gonna be very disappointed I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Going to hit Paddy Power hard this morning.. Biden lost Pennsylvania last night. Pour money on it.

I think you might have an issue with the whole idea of cause and effect there. Maybe, ask a caring relative to look after your financial matters.

Trump was never even 2/1 never mind 4/1, his highest price was about 7/4 a few weeks ago.

Not true !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭uptherebels

RIGOLO wrote: »

Great debate, worth the late night. Well moderated, shows the wisdom of Trump calling her out before the debate to keep her toeing the line.

The Tony Bobulinski press conference 30mins before the debate kicked off was a classic TV moment. A former Biden family business partner who confirmed that he was the recipient of one of Hunter Biden’s emails linked to investment with a Chinese energy company, said Thursday he will give all of his materials to the FBI.
    Only one channel carried it live, and the fake news are ignoring it completely.
    Lets see whats on the phones he waved about that he said he is handing over to the FBI. Unlike the phones Hilary gave the FBI they have not had a bleachbit attack nor been hammer tested.

The image of Joe Biden checking his watch near the end says it all... he is wondering what time this is done so he can go back to his basement to play some AmongUs with AOC.

You can literally smell the fear in this post. Sink cost fallacy exemplified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Not true !

Well that's me convinced....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Phoebas wrote: »
    In the first debate, Biden exceeded low expectations (low expectations set by the Trump campaign). In this debate, Trump probably did the same (low expectations set by his own poor performance at the first debate).

Trump needed a win and didn't get one. This was his last chance to turn things around and he didn't - it's hard to see any way he can win the election now.

I don't think many undecided voters watch these debates. They're fairly inconsequential. Trumps twitter feed will be more persuasive over the next week.

There's a lot of gamblers that seem to have bet on Trump winning who are gonna be very disappointed I suspect.

Its like 2016 all over again . When will people learn

4 more years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

hmmm wrote: »
    Unlike the first debate, Trump didn't obviously lose this debate.

It comes down to which style you prefer, because the styles are so different there was little actual "debate".

Trump's remaining supporters will be happy, but I doubt he convinced anyone to return to him. Biden was solid. I don't think it's going to change anything, and it was Trump who needed this to be a clear win.

I'd use the word 'rigid' more than solid for Biden. He came across as insincere and that pointing thing when he was talking about 'your family' felt awkward and weird. Still, not a bad performance. When I was listening to it on the radio rather than watching it, it sounded like Biden was actually slurring a bit more than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Its like 2016 all over again . When will people learn

4 more years

Anyone who hasn’t placed a bet doesn’t need to learn. If they’re wrong, they’re wrong but they’ll have lost nothing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,659 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/winner

the best price Trump has been at all this year is 3/1 to win the election, back in august.

he may have gotten as far out as 4/1 to win the popular vote, but of course, that's not the same thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Phoebas wrote: »
    In the first debate, Biden exceeded low expectations (low expectations set by the Trump campaign). In this debate, Trump probably did the same (low expectations set by his own poor performance at the first debate).

Trump needed a win and didn't get one. This was his last chance to turn things around and he didn't - it's hard to see any way he can win the election now.

Agreed on this.

Trump was better , but very few if any minds will be changed by that debate , which is ultimately a loss for Trump.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/winner

the best price Trump has been at all this year is 3/1 to win the election, back in august.

he may have gotten as far out as 4/1 to win the popular vote, but of course, that's not the same thing.

3/1 to 7/4 is some swing in a 2 horse race is some swing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

3/1 to 7/4 is some swing in a 2 horse race is some swing

Are you sticking by your claim that he was 4/1 a mere three weeks ago?

Are you sticking by your claim that he was 4/1 a mere three weeks ago?

Yes when he was diagnosed with flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

That debate was great. The nation got to see more bumbling Biden... win for Trump! :D

It's rare to catch a glimpse of this elusive creature these days, as he spends most of the daylight hours pacing up and down in his bunker, repeating those infamous words "You're a lying dog-faced pony soldier" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Whatever bounce Trump might think he may get from the debate last night, and I don't think he will beyond stopping the rot, it will be wiped out because of his petty fight with 60 minutes. People are now going to watch that and see how incredible thin-skinned and unable to deal with any sort of tough situation.

But what gets me is the people claiming Trump won last night are the same people who claimed he won the 1st debate, yet this debate was a completely different approach by Trump. So was the real Trump, the one that they support, the one in the 1st of the 2nd debate? And which one was he covering up the reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Leroy42 wrote: »
    wiped out because of his petty fight with 60 minutes.

Did you watch the raw footage from Trump? It demonstrated how biased and lacking in ethics the media are.

Same with the Pence footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Did you watch the raw footage from Trump? It demonstrated how biased and lacking in ethics the media are.

It shows trump is a whinging crybaby and can’t handle pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it shows a petulant child who whines when tough questions are even mentioned. not even asked, just mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

it shows a petulant child who whines when tough questions are even mentioned. not even asked, just mentioned.

I know you didn't watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Why am I being challenged on my record, whaaa!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement