Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Dear God, this selfless parents nonsense. It is not necessary for hundreds of thousands to die. This is demonstrated by the rest of the world who are faring far better. Also a rampant virus will not allow the economy to stabilise.

You can sell it as Trump being courageous but it's more a case that he couldn't care less about the deaths. Biden wants to get a handle on the virus. Like they don't even have federal rules on wearing a mask, that's gonna make it a hell of a lot easier to open the economy if they follow the advice of experts.

Been over this multiple times, I know I will not convince you otherwise so I wont try. I'll finish by saying it is my opinion that voters will secretly prefer Trumps response to Covid over Bidens proposed one. This is because I believe humans in general are selfish - that it is natural to us to prioritize our own survival when the chips are down. I think the democrats have made a mistake on the Covid issue and I think Trump has been courageous. He is among the very few world leaders who showed no fear to the virus. I could be wrong and Trump will be obliterated over it but we shall see soon enough.

I personally am not afraid of Covid, I think the masks and restrictions are ridiculous. Don't worry, I follow the rules because they are the law but I do not respect them or the government that imposed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The US has a Covid-19 mortality rate 1.9 times greater than Ireland. Sweden has a Covid-19 mortality rate 1.6 times greater than Ireland.

The US has a Covid-19 mortality rate 1.9 times greater than Ireland. Sweden has a Covid-19 mortality rate 1.6 times greater than Ireland.

How will their economies be in a few months? Better than Ireland? How much are we borrowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Been over this multiple times, I know I will not convince you otherwise so I wont try. I'll finish by saying it is my opinion that voters will secretly prefer Trumps response to Covid over Bidens proposed one. This is because I believe humans in general are selfish - that it is natural to us to prioritize our own survival when the chips are down. I think the democrats have made a mistake on the Covid issue and I think Trump has been courageous. He is among the very few world leaders who showed no fear to the virus. I could be wrong and Trump will be obliterated over it but we shall see soon enough.

I personally am not afraid of Covid, I think the masks and restrictions are ridiculous. Don't worry, I follow the rules because they are the law but I do not respect them or the government that imposed them.

You can see the bad in humans in general and Biden in particular but not in Trump It’s unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Every thing in this post, has been alleged of Trump in the past, yet you apparently do not think the same of him?

There isn’t direct video evidence haha.

• Advertisement

How will their economies be in a few months? Better than Ireland? How much are we borrowing?

The US is borrowing infinitely more proportionatly than Ireland as a result of Covid-19. 2.5 trillion versus 20 billion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think Trump has been courageous. He is among the very few world leaders who showed no fear to the virus.

220,000+ dead.

It is what it is.

fearless :rolleyes:

Graham wrote: »
    220,000+ dead.

It is what it is.

fearless :rolleyes:

Deaths per capita in Belgium and Spain are way higher.

Deaths in the US could have been much less and they're still growing.

Thanks though, I'll keep that in mind when we have the final figures from the US and we're discussing the Belgian/Spanish elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Have the leaders of any other country said this?

"Yes, people are dying......it is what it is"

• Advertisement

Do you think this is a good point? Others are doing bad so it’s okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

And are one of the worst.
    What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Genuine question as it's not something I can put my finger on. But what is Trumps and his supporter's obsession with comparing the job he has done wrt Covid-19 with other random countries?

He has 0 influence over what happens in the other countries and as such should stop deflecting and get on with the job of saving his own people?

I have seen the whole "we have the greatest ... compared to ..." but really who gives a flying ****e when your people have had 8.8m cases and 230k have died.

SAVE your own people first and foremost.

salmocab wrote: »
    Do you think this is a good point? Others are doing bad so it’s okay.

My point is the US is being presented as some catastrophic outlier to hurt Trump. There’s a lot of countries, including European ones, that are doing much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I think Trump has been courageous. He is among the very few world leaders who showed no fear to the virus.
    And then he caught it.

Luckily for Trump he has a dedicated team of doctors to take care of him and access to experimental medicine and a suite in a world class hospital. None of which is available to ordinary Americans.

His callous handling of this crisis will cost him the Presidency.

My point is the US is being presented as some catastrophic outlier to hurt Trump. There’s a lot of countries, including European ones, that are doing much worse.

This is saying the 9th worst.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

One of the most advanced countries in the world!

My point is the US is being presented as some catastrophic outlier

"Other Countries have done worse"

Not the most inspiring campaign slogan in the world is it?

That's because Europe was hit much earlier. Trump's USA had months of observing and learning before Covid-19 took hold. But no. Trump just hand waved it away as a hoax. What he did is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

A country that has been perpetually sceptical of the government, the most gullible to propaganda , the most ‘my rights’ entrenched on the planet. It wouldnt have mattered what president was in charge, that country was going to be a clusterf*ck of bad actors and disobedience regardless of who was in charge.

It’s fact that They are doing badly, this is a thread about something American would you like people to mention it as it makes Trump look bad?
    Yes there are countries doing worse although your use of the word lot is pushing it.
    It seems that some people are happy with not being last, not even striving for mid table obscurity just not dead last. Make America not quite the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

And this is despite the virus hitting Europe earlier, with countries like Spain being hit very early with no prior warning or time to prepare. The US had that time to prepare, but didn't use it, and then let the virus run like wildfire over Summer while most of Europe had gotten it under control.

With prior warning, an advanced economy and a low population density, there's no reason for the US to have fared as badly as it has.

A country that has been perpetually sceptical of the government, the most gullible to propaganda , the most ‘my rights’ entrenched on the planet. It wouldnt have mattered what president was in charge, that country was going to be a clusterf*ck of bad actors and disobedience regardless of who was in charge.

I disagree completely.

Trump didn't take it seriously from the start, he downplayed the disease and said it was going to go away.

He is their president, he is meant to show leadership, he failed.

They've got more resources than any other countries in the top ten worst.... They've handled it disastrously.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is this the same Trump who said people should consider injecting bleach?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Is this the same Trump who said people should consider injecting bleach?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

USA is 9th worst in the world for deaths per capita, with 6 of the 8 ahead of them being Latin American countries like Peru and Ecuador where access to healthcare will be much more difficult.

I think that the USA, because of its own healthcare problems and the "but much freedoms" mentality, was always going to be hard hit, regardless of who the president is, and individual states need to take responsibility also.

So there are mitigating facitors, but by no stretch of the imagination has Trump done a good job.

He showed no leadership on the issue, didn't give any sense that there was any kind of informed, coordinated response, and his 'Liberate' tweeting session was madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I disagree completely.

Trump didn't take it seriously from the start, he downplayed the disease and said it was going to go away.

He is their president, he is meant to show leadership, he failed.

Do you honestly believe that the same people who are anti mask / think its a hoax/ ‘muh freedums’ etc.. would have changed their behaviour in any way under a different president ?

What do you honestly think america would have done different (government wise and people wise) under not donald trump ? Remember how big that country is and the practicalities of rolling out a change to over 300 million people.

Remember how big that country is and the practicalities of rolling out a change to over 300 million people.

It would be easier if the guy in charge led by example from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Do you honestly believe that the same people who are anti mask / think its a hoax/ ‘muh freedums’ etc.. would have changed their behaviour in any way under a different president ?

What do you honestly think america would have done different (government wise and people wise) under not donald trump ? Remember how big that country is and the practicalities of rolling out a change to over 300 million people.

They might not have changed their ways under a different president but they probably would have under Trump had he not downplayed it.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    And this is despite the virus hitting Europe earlier, with countries like Spain being hit very early with no prior warning or time to prepare. The US had that time to prepare, but didn't use it, and then let the virus run like wildfire over Summer while most of Europe had gotten it under control.

With prior warning, an advanced economy and a low population density, there's no reason for the US to have fared as badly as it has.

The US has the CDC, they have some of the greatest scientists and doctors on the planet, unlimited ammunition towards the disease.

But it was handled badly due to lack of leadership.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement