Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

No surprise, anyone paying an ounce of attention has expected something like this for at least the last 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote: »
    Over 2/3rds the number of votes cast in 2016 Total have been cast early already in 2020.

This is 43% of all registered voters in the United States.

This election has a 43% turnout rate already and it's not even election day. Texas is at 57% turnout already.

We also know from voter registrations that Democrats are turning out more than Republicans.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/31/politics/2020-early-voting-90-million-voted/index.html

Early voting in the 2020 election across the U.S. on Saturday had already reached 65.5% of 2016's total turnout, according to state data compiled by the U.S. Elections Project.

Why it matters: The coronavirus pandemic and its resultant social-distancing measures prompted a massive uptick in both mail-in ballots and early voting nationwide, setting up an unprecedented and potentially tumultuous count in the hours and days after the polls close on Nov. 3.

By the numbers: Both Hawaii (110.6%) and Texas (107.7%) have already surpassed 2016's total turnout via early voting. The latter has morphed into a key swing state that could allow Joe Biden to land a knockout blow on President Trump's re-election chances.

Other states that have already amassed a huge portion of their 2016 totals include:

• Montana: 95.8%
    • Washington: 93.8%
    • New Mexico: 93.2%
    • Georgia: 93.2%
    • North Carolina: 91.1%
    • Tennessee: 89.6%
    • Nevada: 88%
    • Oregon: 87.8%
    • Florida: 86.6%
    • Arizona: 86.5%
    • Colorado: 83.7%

The other side:
    Some key battleground states are lagging behind the frontrunners. Pennsylvania, for example, has only reached 34.3% of its 2016 total turnout — but this is the first general election for which the state has implemented no-excuse absentee balloting. Historically, only about 5% of Pennsylvanians have voted by mail.

Other key battlegrounds and their current early turnout against 2016 totals:
    • Wisconsin: 62.3%
    • Iowa: 56%
    • Michigan: 52.8%
    • Ohio: 48.8%

Yes, but: With Election Day fast approaching, in-person early voting operations in many states will close down in the days ahead to prep for Tuesday.
    • Texas, Nevada, Massachusetts, Maine, Idaho, Georgia and Arizona will end in-person early voting on Friday. Some Utah counties will shut it down on Friday as well, per Business Insider.
    • In-person early voting will end on Saturday in North Carolina, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Virginia, West Virginia and parts of Florida.

Mail-in ballots also face deadlines. While some states only require that ballots be postmarked by or shortly before Election Day, others require ballots to be received by election officials on Tuesday.
    • Swing states Florida and Wisconsin, for example, require mail-in ballots to be received by 7 and 8 p.m., respectively, on Election Day.
    • But the Supreme Court recently shut down Republican attempts to trim mail-in deadlines in both North Carolina and Pennsylvania.
    • Many states also can't begin counting their mail-in ballots until Election Day, which is likely to cause a backlog in results — and could shift results in Biden's favor as more get counted in the following days.

Between the lines: Experts say it is essentially impossible to read anything into 2020's unprecedented turnout at the current moment.

While high-turnout elections traditionally favor Democrats, the pandemic's effects have caused traditional models to be cast aside — making it difficult to draw any conclusions about the possible outcome of the election from these historic numbers.

https://www.axios.com/2020-2016-vote-turnout-early-voting-e9da9e9c-df3d-46ac-ae81-2dea53e23993.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ikr I mean how can you cite an anonymous source? Sure the whole point of having a source in the first place is so you can verify it's from someone credible lol. If you cite an anonymous source then YOU are the source. You're the one claiming to have established it's right.

Nonetheless if this is true holy **** these could be the last couple of relatively normal days the world sees for a while. Can you even imagine if Trump contested the results, things could escalate so fast.

saying a source is anonymous does not mean the reporter doesn't know who they are. it means the source does not want to be publicly named.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Igotadose wrote: »
    We're not putting the boot into Barret because of Trump. She's plenty offensive on her own.

1. The other Judges Trump's appointed (Gorsuch, Kavanaugh) had lengthy careers and graduated tops from top Universities (Yale for example). Barrett? Notre Dame. Get real - Touchdown U. doesn't jump to mind when thinking of great law schools and isn't highly rated.
    2. She was a blank during her confirmation hearings, amazingly didn't even take notes, and deflected every difficult question. Said some jaw-droppingly stupid things on serious issues like climate change, showing she doesn't understand science
    3. Was a member of some extremist Catholic creepy group where the women were described as "Handmaids" until Barretts nomination got them to edit their website. Not a good look for a future SCOTUS judge
    4. There's the little bit about never trying a case as a judge (she'd only been one for 1.5 years anyway)

I could go on, but she's massively unqualified. Nice summary here: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/10/amy-coney-barrett-is-the-least-experienced-supreme-court-nominee-in-30-years/

The only hope is that now as SCOTUS she doesn't need to tow the GOP line, and could end up leaning moderate (as most justices do over their tenure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

This is very bad news for democrats chances. Early turnout voting in Florida, showing a Republican lead in areas Hilary won in 2016. Democrats cannot win the state if the Republican vote higher.

With just 4 days to the election I don't think this can be fixed. Slim chance Biden got there'll be a large turnout on the day for him to take the state? If this information remains true, it seems the democrats did not campaign enough in battleground states to win. Lack of communication with voters in these states and door to door campaign may cost them here?

Personally from everything i see Trump going to win. I don't see the enthusiasm there for Biden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

astrofool wrote: »
    The only hope is that now as SCOTUS she doesn't need to tow the GOP line, and could end up leaning moderate (as most justices do over their tenure).

That'd be something worth actually investigating. The longer-serving judges more recently haven't done this (Scalia, Thomas)

This is very bad news for democrats chances. Early turnout voting in Florida, showing a Republican lead in areas Hilary won in 2016. Democrats cannot win the state if the Republican vote higher.

With just 4 days to the election I don't think this can be fixed. Slim chance Biden got there'll be a large turnout on the day for him to take the state? If this information remains true, it seems the democrats did not campaign enough in battleground states to win. Lack of communication with voters in these states and door to door campaign may cost them here?

Personally from everything i see Trump going to win. I don't see the enthusiasm there for Biden.

Perhaps because Miami Dade was caught hoarding ballots?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/elections/2020/10/31/undelivered-mail-ballots-found-at-miami-dade-post-office/

It also seems like selective interpretation to suggest more Republicans have voted:

Nearly 63% of the 428,000 registered Republicans in the county have voted so far, whereas about 56% of the county's 634,000 registered Democrats have voted to date, according to state data. About 225,000 people with no party affiliation have also already voted in the county.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/30/politics/democrats-uneasy-higher-republican-turnout-miami-dade/index.html

Which would be roughly 270,000 Republicans and 355,000 Democrats. So, Democrats are still leading in Miami Dade county

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The big risk for Biden is a surge in working class voters and that looks like happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

so the postal voting system is prone to abuse ? :pac:

Of course. That's why Postmaster General DeJoy was raked over the coals this summer for abusing the postal service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Danzy wrote: »
    As you can see from the video, it wasn't.

Regardless of politics, what sort of moron tried to swerve in to his lane in a vehicle half the size.

It's mental!, no matter what way you feel about Trump we can watch a video of the white car trying to push into the lane the black truck. Like politics shouldn't change your eyes ability to function!

When you hire someone to a use the postal system as its head, yes of course it does. Let's be honest and call a spade a spade here though, you already knew that and are just taking delight in people having their democratic right to vote being stripped from them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The big risk for Biden is a surge in working class voters and that looks like happening.

Where?

Wouldn't "Working Class Voters" have showed up for Early Voting?

It's mental!, no matter what way you feel about Trump we can watch a video of the white car trying to push into the lane the black truck. Like politics shouldn't change your eyes ability to function!

Again, members if a cult act like cult members do. If reality would force them to challenge their allegiance to said cult, it has to be discarded.

Same people peddling that nonsense probably have umpteen posts giving out about violence at some of the protests that escalated into riots about how 'violence has no place in politics'.

It is what it is, and they are what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

When you hire someone to a use the postal system as its head, yes of course it does. Let's be honest and call a spade a spade here though, you already knew that and are just taking delight in people having their democratic right to vote being stripped from them.

wow you went from 2 to 100 real quick there. I am absolutely not delighted about any votes getting furloughed or binned. I genuinely believe in democratic elections and the correct outcomes.

Which is why I haven't spend the last 4 years crying about who won or claiming Russia rigged an election...

Graham wrote: »
    Where?
    You do know what they mean by 'working class', right?

Wouldn't "Working Class Voters" have showed up for Early Voting?

Not necessarily no, previous elections, even with early voting shows a large number of working class Americans turn out on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is the sad thing.
    One party is trying to make sure some people can't vote the other is trying to ensure everyone can vote...that should tell you all you need to know to be honest.

Graham wrote: »
    Where?

American election.

• Advertisement

wow you went from 2 to 100 real quick there. I am absolutely not delighted about any votes getting furloughed or binned. I genuinely believe in democratic elections and the correct outcomes.

Which is why I haven't spend the last 4 years crying about who won or claiming Russia rigged an election...

Yeah, you're laughing emojis and joking at people's right to vote being robbed from them shows just how genuine you are about that.

Also, every arm of us intelligence and bipartisan senate investigations have found that Russia did interfere in that election. You just don't want to know about it because "your side won" and couldn't care less about anything else. Just like laughing at votes being basically robbed by postal workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

The USPS confirmed Saturday morning six completed ballots and 42 blank ones were found after investigators were sent to the Miami location Friday afternoon.

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/10/31/usps-investigating-undelivered-miami-mail-ballots-1333001

Was not a warehouse full of ballots got displaced here!

Axelrod on CNN (this Friday claiming the black vote seems to be way down in the areas of Florida Hilary won in 2016. This is early voting. A worry for democrats as the need a strong showing on election day to remove Trump. Typically democrats view is a strong black vote for them potentially wins them the election.

Not necessarily no, previous elections, even with early voting shows a large number of working class Americans turn out on the day.

Source?

In fairness, we've all seen you push claims of voter fraud etc but never once have you raised concerns about efforts to suppress voters.

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/10/31/usps-investigating-undelivered-miami-mail-ballots-1333001

Was not a warehouse full of ballots got displaced here!

Axelrod on CNN (this Friday claiming the black vote seems to be way down in the areas of Florida Hilary won in 2016. This is early voting. A worry for democrats as the need a strong showing on election day to remove Trump. Typically democrats view is a strong black vote for them potentially wins them the election.

Black voting, as a % of total, is down on 2016 across America. In Florida Doubt it would be enough to overcome the Latino Trump vote which is very big, looking like 50%.

Black voting, as a % of total, is down on 2016 across America. In Florida Doubt it would be enough to overcome the Latino Trump vote which is very big, looking like 50%.

Can you please provide sources for your claims?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-georgia-voting/early-voting-brings-one-million-black-voters-to-georgia-polls-idUSKBN27F36Z

ATLANTA (Reuters) - As Georgia wrapped up weeks of early voting on Friday for the Nov. 3 election, Black voter turnout had far surpassed the level seen at the same time in 2016.

Some 1 million Black voters have already cast ballots this year, up from 712,000 this time four years ago, according to TargetSmart, a Democratic analytics firm.

It is part of a rush to the polls in Georgia. More than 3.8 million Georgians had already cast ballots as of 5 p.m. on Friday, compared to 4.1 million overall in the last presidential election.

In Swainsboro, Georgia, the tiny election registration office building was the only early voting precinct, limiting entry to five voters at a time. A line of people stood at the street corner on Friday.

Jaquez Washington, 28, said his ballot “helps future generations get the treatment they deserve.” His aunt inspired him to vote, he said. “I just wanna be sure the decisions are in the right hands of the right people.”

Omar Ceesay, 41, took his 4-year-old daughter Aria to vote Thursday at the Gladys S. Dennard Library in South Fulton County, his first ballot ever.

“I want to provide for my daughter an example of what it means to stand up in this world and fight with your vote to change things which seem to work against you,” said Ceesay, who served in Iraq as a fire fighter with the Department of Defense before becoming an insurance claims adjuster.

Rashad Muneer, 31, a Black real estate investor and musician, also voted in South Fulton on Thursday.

“While I’d like to see the issue of reparations and other exclusive rights for people of color on the ballot, I use my power to vote for a more just and inclusive America. To be an activist doesn’t mean just protesting, but engaging all your civic duties, including voting,” he said.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭hometruths

Comparison of past national leads with results v 2020

https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1322963215500763136

Do we know if that’s it’s now for polls or are more expected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Interesting few days ahead

I predict a few brown trouser moments for Democrats between now and Wednesday

schmittel wrote: »
    Do we know if that’s it’s now for polls or are more expected?

They run polls right up to the vote. There is also exit polling. We are going to be polling the **** out of this, don't worry none.

• Advertisement

Can you please provide sources for your claims?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-georgia-voting/early-voting-brings-one-million-black-voters-to-georgia-polls-idUSKBN27F36Z

ATLANTA (Reuters) - As Georgia wrapped up weeks of early voting on Friday for the Nov. 3 election, Black voter turnout had far surpassed the level seen at the same time in 2016.

Some 1 million Black voters have already cast ballots this year, up from 712,000 this time four years ago, according to TargetSmart, a Democratic analytics firm.

It is part of a rush to the polls in Georgia. More than 3.8 million Georgians had already cast ballots as of 5 p.m. on Friday, compared to 4.1 million overall in the last presidential election.

In Swainsboro, Georgia, the tiny election registration office building was the only early voting precinct, limiting entry to five voters at a time. A line of people stood at the street corner on Friday.

Jaquez Washington, 28, said his ballot “helps future generations get the treatment they deserve.” His aunt inspired him to vote, he said. “I just wanna be sure the decisions are in the right hands of the right people.”

Omar Ceesay, 41, took his 4-year-old daughter Aria to vote Thursday at the Gladys S. Dennard Library in South Fulton County, his first ballot ever.

“I want to provide for my daughter an example of what it means to stand up in this world and fight with your vote to change things which seem to work against you,” said Ceesay, who served in Iraq as a fire fighter with the Department of Defense before becoming an insurance claims adjuster.

Rashad Muneer, 31, a Black real estate investor and musician, also voted in South Fulton on Thursday.

“While I’d like to see the issue of reparations and other exclusive rights for people of color on the ballot, I use my power to vote for a more just and inclusive America. To be an activist doesn’t mean just protesting, but engaging all your civic duties, including voting,” he said.

Targetsmart early voting analysis. Far as I know they are Democrat run.

Your post doesn't contradict mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement