Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Danzy wrote: »
    70% of white vote in 2016 out so far.
    44% of the Hispanic vote.
    43% of the African American vote.

Unless there is very big turnouts in African American and Hispanic communities on Tuesday, Democrat fears of a poor turnout in those 2 key demographics for them look well founded.

Maybe they will but it's interesting to note and must be a concern for Biden's team.

Too early to tell, and could depend on depressed turnout in one or two key states. But in for example georgia, the turnout has been huge, largely in part to how much of a sham the 2018 gubernatorial election was - concerns that were only reinforced over the summer primary season.

In the shadows of billboards along I-85 and I-20 encouraging Atlantans to “VOTE EARLY,” barriers to that act loom large. There were reminders of this again during June’s egregious primary election: In populous, rapidly diversifying metro Atlanta counties like Fulton and Cobb, wait times extended up to six hours after polling locations were consolidated during the pandemic. The state’s new electronic voting machines also frequently malfunctioned, further slowing the ballot casting process.

Voters interviewed by POLITICO said anger over perceived voter suppression tactics is fueling their eagerness to cast early ballots. And indeed, Georgians are voting in numbers never seen before in the state’s history. Since Oct. 12, the first day of early voting, a staggering 2.7 million voters have cast a ballot — a nearly 110 percent increase from 2016. Beyond that, Democrats are organizing caravans, volunteering as election workers and serving as poll watchers. This level of enthusiasm is also a reflection of apprehension about the election: Voters here are turning out in waves.

And while lines are faster moving, state officials have yet to designate the adequate amount of voting locations in keeping with state regulations. While Georgia law mandates that voting locations cap the number of people served at 2,000, counties serve well above 3,000 daily in some places, according to data from independent data analyst Ryan Anderson.

“It is a form of voter suppression to massively underfund and understaff and [under]prepare for the turnout that we have. After what we saw in June no one should have been caught off guard that we were going to have a massive, massive early vote turnout,” said state Rep. Erick Allen, one of a handful of Democratic legislators representing Smyrna, an Atlanta suburb. His district saw some of the longest wait times at the polls one week into early voting.

“Either it’s voter suppression or complete incompetence on the planning,” Allen said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/26/georgia-voter-suppression-black-turnout-432405

As a reminder, this is how everyone remembers the 2018 election in Georgia:

NBC News confirms that the some of the voting issues in Snellville, Georgia--specifically at the Anderson Livsey Elementary polling location--was due to a lack of power cords for the voting machines. The machines ran out of battery power and couldn't run without a power supply. They report that the machines are back up and running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roqCjlfZm8

And poll closures

but turnout has grown massively in early and postal voting in states like California and New York and its all for Biden, he's going to flip those states double triple mega blue which helps.....nobody.

Texas has already reported over 108% of the votes cast that were counted in the entire 2016 election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I've barely been following or caring about this with everything else that's going on

Question:

What's better for improving the Covid situation? A Biden win or a Trump one? That's all I care about between these two

It's Biden right?

The Trump administration hardly even tried with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Yeah the Obama/Biden presidency was fantastic for immigrants.

Obama deported more illegals than any other American president. Trump included.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/12/biden-immigration-2020-1411691

Do your homework before attempting a "gotcha" please
    I have zero problem with deporting illegals after due process.
    Separating kids from their parents I do have a problem with.

Maybe you shouldn't jump to lazy conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Voter suppression is a sad reality in republican states. Sure the governor of Texas set it up in his state so that millions of people would have to use one drop off box for early voting.

In other states like Georgia it's even more blatant tactics.

It's that sort of stuff that goes on.

70% of white vote in 2016 out so far.
    44% of the Hispanic vote.
    43% of the African American vote.

Unless there is very big turnouts in African American and Hispanic communities on Tuesday, Democrat fears of a poor turnout in those 2 key demographics for them look well founded.

Maybe they will but it's interesting to note and must be a concern for Biden's team.

African Americans traditionally vote on the day. So there is no issue there by historical standards.

• Advertisement

Voter suppression is a sad reality in republican states. Sure the governor of Texas set it up in his state so that millions of people would have to use one drop off box for early voting.

In other states like Georgia it's even more blatant tactics.

It's that sort of stuff that goes on.

Indeed:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

but turnout has grown massively in early and postal voting in states like California and New York and its all for Biden, he's going to flip those states double triple mega blue which helps.....nobody.

The great flaw in the "democracy" of America

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

According to Trump, Biden is bought and paid for by China, Big Tech, the late Fidel Castro, the main stream media.

He'll have a tough time keeping all those paymasters happy if in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

According to Trump, Biden is bought and paid for by China, Big Tech, the late Fidel Castro, the main stream media.

According to Trump windmills give you cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Billy Mays wrote: »
    According to Trump windmills give you cancer ��*♂️

I think that only happens if you nuke the hurricane before it reaches the wind farm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Early vote Turnout is up across the board

And in fact, the States with the highest turn-out so far in comparison on 2016 are typically Red States.

Texas - 108%
    Florida - 93%
    Georgia - 94%
    North Carolina - 95%
    Montana - 99%
    Oregon - 96%

Whereas California is at 73% and New York is at a paltry 43%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

African Americans traditionally vote on the day. So there is no issue there by historical standards.

They do but they also have a very large % who vote early, larger than other demographics

The also polled as the highest demographic to say they would vote early.

Like I said, I'm just noting the number as interesting so far.

With the increased Trump support among black voters compared to last time, Biden needs a very big surge on Tuesday from black voters.

It may happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

They do but they also have a very large % who vote early, larger than other demographics

With the increased Trump support among black voters compared to last time, Biden needs a very big surge on Tuesday from black voters.

It may happen.

They aint black if it doesn't

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He's also "Weak on Crime" , because of Black Lives Matter or something but equally "Too Tough on Crime" because of his support for a crime bill from 25+ years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It may happen.

They have increased early voting by 75% over 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

how does one go about watching/following the main event as it happens?

when does it begin and end?

i imagine ill be in work when the sht goes down.

or will i wake up to the headlines on wed morning?

its a little exciting, id like to see them coloring in the various states and watch the live score, bit of craic.

(also want to watch one particular guy on twitter in the case of his team gradually losing - cause that sht will be hilarious)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Big tech and wall Street have contributed big amounts of $$ to Biden. Not sure the tech figures, wall Street is a bit over $70m I've seen reported today.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,568 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No conundrum, you're misunderstanding that the data shows that in 16 the "silent" vote was the undecideds.. which was in the data.. .go with the data!! Also, there is very little undecideds this time around so if it's a resounding Biden victory it's there in the data, if Donnie sneaks it by way of EC votes, it'll be there in the data sets,

The silent vote is not undecideds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think the silent and shy vote will be strangely shy and silent on the day, too, and it may forever remain a mystery why they didn't vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Phoebas wrote: »
    I have zero problem with deporting illegals after due process.
    Separating kids from their parents I do have a problem with.

Maybe you shouldn't jump to lazy conclusions.

aftertiming

• Advertisement

That was an absolutely shameful case. Let's just deprive 127,000 people of their cast votes.

That's real in your face Zimbabwe sh!t right there.

Hope they lose Texas.

That was an absolutely shameful case. Let's just deprive 127,000 people of their cast votes.

Hope they lose Texas.

I think they will. It's Bush country. Neocon country. Who do you think are all these former military national security and intelligence people endorsing Biden from the right?

Overheal wrote: »
    I think they will. It's Bush country. Neocon country. Who do you think are all these former military national security and intelligence people endorsing Biden from the right?

When voters see that it must focus some minds. Even if you're republican how can you stand by that? Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When voters see that it must focus some minds. Even if you're republican how can you stand by that? Amazing.

Overheal is very neoliberal, so understandable that he backs his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hope they lose Texas.

Trump and the Republicans hate democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

And that's why the national polls are so unreliable. Biden is likely to win big in some populous states but that's not where the election will be won or lost unless Texas or Florida goes his way.

Something like 250 million eligible voters in the US but the election could be decided by a couple thousand in swing states who swing one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Trump and the Republicans hate democracy.

I was wondering about this and it’s not the only Thing they do to try and make it hard for certain people to vote. How exactly do they justify these voter suppression strategies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Billy Mays wrote: »
    According to Trump windmills give you cancer

Trump doesn't know the difference between a windmill and a wind turbine.

• Advertisement

85603 wrote: »
    how does one go about watching/following the main event as it happens?

when does it begin and end?

i imagine ill be in work when the sht goes down.

or will i wake up to the headlines on wed morning?

its a little exciting, id like to see them coloring in the various states and watch the live score, bit of craic.

(also want to watch one particular guy on twitter in the case of his team gradually losing - cause that sht will be hilarious)

It begins 12 am (Wednesday morning) Irish time.

I'll post the youtube links as most networks will broadcast their live coverage over Youtube.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement