Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You're forgetting that they've been told for the last four years Trump is the antichrist by the media..

No, just that he is an incompetent man.

Don't need the media to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A

So did he mean to stand by (out of the way) or stand by (ready for a call) I don't know for sure

Stand back (out of the way) and stand by (out of the way)?

Is that really what you are suggesting? What Trump might have meant was 'I'd ask them to stand out of the way and stand out of the way.'

You can't seriously expect anybody to believe that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're forgetting that they've been told for the last four years Trump is the antichrist by the media..

Never has so much of a Presidents words and actions been live streamed so much?

Is it the media's fault for doing this when Trump himself is all about ratings?

And you can thank the President directly for the widespread communication of his thoughts via his Twitter account.

Trump owns the image people have of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

Was Vice President for 8 years to America’s first black President.
    The racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJSfBKQA_KQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIOXfqvBEaE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Never has so much of a Presidents words and actions been live streamed so much?

Is it the media's fault for doing this when Trump himself is all about ratings?

And you can thank the President directly for the widespread communication of his thoughts via his Twitter account.

Trump owns the image people have of him.

Exactly. Trump's tweets speak for themselves. He is an appalling human being based on his tweets alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

For anyone actually interested in the election.

North Carolina and Florida should start releasing the bulk of their results around 12.30 - 1.30am our time if my maths are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Penn wrote: »
    He was asked to disavow white supremacist groups. He asked what group. Biden said Proud Boys. Trump said "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by"

If you're suggesting that by saying "stand by" he meant to stand out of the way, that's negated by the fact he preceeded it with "stand back" which means the same thing.

Regardless, none of what he said disavowed white supremacist groups, and the Proud Boys basically cheered on their websites about how Trump told them to stand by.

So it gives us a relatively good idea of what Trump meant.

I don't know what he meant but you can't really say Trump didn't make a mistake with the wording because he said "stand back" first,

If you play devils advocate

You could say that very unfair not to give him the benefit of the doubt when his rival Biden has trouble stringing sentences together for the whole campaign but on this one occasion Trump says something that could mean either you automatically go the bad way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

astrofool wrote: »
    big change in betting odds, Biden now 4/9 on, Trump drifting out to 2:1, great value for Trump if you're that way inclined:
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/winner

That settles it then. If I've learned anything today, it's that betting markets are a reliable predictor of an election, even better than some guy on TV and of course better than polling results with large samples and a transparent methodology.

osarusan wrote: »
    Stand back (out of the way) and stand by (out of the way)?

Is that really what you are suggesting? What Trump might have meant was 'I'd ask them to stand out of the way and stand out of the way.'

You can't seriously expect anybody to believe that nonsense.

But Biden can descend in to gibberish at any given time he is speaking and that ok,
    I don't know what Donald meant to say but it could be taken two ways ,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That settles it then. If I've learned anything today, it's that betting markets are a reliable predictor of an election, even better than some guy on TV and of course better than polling results with large samples and a transparent methodology.

They're an awful indicator, but interesting to watch none the less (and if it goes back towards Trump it will be a definitive sign he'll win I'm sure...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

These same polling results that got it way wrong in 2016, Brexit and the most recent Irish GE?

I believe Biden wins states they don't. Let's see how they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The early voting numbers look very good for Biden. His camp predicts that Trump needs big numbers to turn it around in key battleground States. This looks done and dusted to me.

https://twitter.com/davecatanese/status/1323664834706186240?s=20

Well I'm out

Best of luck to the two lads tonight and keep it civil in here ,

Oh and lastly GOD BLESS AMERICA because they will need it no matter who wins .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,848 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know what he meant but you can't really say Trump didn't make a mistake with the wording because he said "stand back" first,

If you play devils advocate

You could say that very unfair not to give him the benefit of the doubt when his rival Biden has trouble stringing sentences together for the whole campaign but on this one occasion Trump says something that could mean either you automatically go the bad way

They're both prone to gaffes when speaking. Let's not go down the road of dragging up all the gibberish that's come out of either's mouths.

But given the history of most of Trump's other comments, tweets, retweets etc around such topics, I don't think the benefit of the doubt is warranted in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't know what Donald meant to say but it could be taken two ways ,
    As somebody who is not a Trump fan and doesn't endorse him, you need to ask yourself why you are making the absolutely contorted and frankly nonsensical explanation you are making of that particular comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

What time Irish Time will they probably announce the winner?
    Back in 2016 I was still in secondary school and I remember finding out the winner before I went in, but surely it'll be a bit longer then that with the greater turnout this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1323649195488780288?s=20

Balloting open in florida, already early lead for Trump in possibly the most important battleground for GOP victory chances

I'm guessing that party affiliation of voters since no 3rd party would be getting that much. If that is the case, we know that there have been a good number of Republicans saying they are voting for Biden, and we know how poorly trump is doing with independents... in truth those numbers don't look very good for Donnie at all.

They're both prone to gaffes when speaking. Let's not go down the road of dragging up all the gibberish that's come out of either's mouths.

But given the history of most of Trump's other comments, tweets, retweets etc around such topics, I don't think the benefit of the doubt is warranted in this case.

I do wonder was it an attempt to be ambiguous with this answer,
    If he likes them or not he is clever enough to realises he needs there votes in this,
    He couldn't publicly condemn the, so close to an election & lose there votes but at the same time he can publicly condone them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Ekerot wrote: »
    Back in 2016 I was still in secondary school and I remember finding out the winner before I went in, but surely it'll be a bit longer then that with the greater turnout this year

Probably about a week due to all the mail in voting. Barring a landslide, I would say weekend at the very earliest. It's a weird election this year.

osarusan wrote: »
    As somebody who is not a Trump fan and doesn't endorse him, you need to ask yourself why you are making the absolutely contorted and frankly nonsensical explanation you are making of that particular comment.

I clearly said I don't have the explanation ,

• Advertisement

Ekerot wrote: »

Winner is usually announced late night or early the next morning when one candidate concedes, usually because certain states announce their results and that candidate realises they now won't get enough votes to win.

However, given what Trump has already said about challenging the results, it's unlikely there'll be any such concession, and with far more mail-in ballots cast some states might not be in a position to announce their results for another few days.

Even if enough states go to Biden tonight to get him over the 270 electoral college votes required, chances are Trump's going to challenge and bring it to court, and no one knows what's going to happen in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dante7 wrote: »
    The early voting numbers look very good for Biden. His camp predicts that Trump needs big numbers to turn it around in key battleground States. This looks done and dusted to me.

https://twitter.com/davecatanese/status/1323664834706186240?s=20

Don't read too much in to any of this. All that matters is the result when the polls close tonight.

Biden does not need Florida but Trump certainly does.

I do wonder was it an attempt to be ambiguous with this answer,
    If he likes them or not he is clever enough to realises he needs there votes in this,
    He couldn't publicly condemn the, so close to an election & lose there votes but at the same time he can publicly condone them

Oh I think that was certainly the case. He won't denounce anyone who praises or supports him.

Doesn't make it right, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Oh I think that was certainly the case. He won't denounce anyone who praises or supports him.

Doesn't make it right, though.

He has denounced david duke and white supremacy many many times since 2016, he is tepid with the proud boys the same way I would be because there's no evidence they are a white supremecist organisation as has been claimed. Much of their membership is not even white.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1323652933276307459

She's voting for Biden, isn't she? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Winner is usually announced late night or early the next morning when one candidate concedes, usually because certain states announce their results and that candidate realises they now won't get enough votes to win.

However, given what Trump has already said about challenging the results, it's unlikely there'll be any such concession, and with far more mail-in ballots cast some states might not be in a position to announce their results for another few days.

Even if enough states go to Biden tonight to get him over the 270 electoral college votes required, chances are Trump's going to challenge and bring it to court, and no one knows what's going to happen in that case.

The most likely scenario by far is that it will be extremely close and that noone will know. No presidential candidate would concede if there was still a chance of them winning.

In the unlikely event of a Biden blowout then Trump may not concede as you say, but we will in that case still know the winner by tomorrow. Trump can go to court and stuff, but if he is not close he won't get anywhere.

The way you put it makes it sound like in a normal election we'd know but Trump won't let it happen or something.

He has denounced david duke and white supremacy many many times since 2016, he is tepid with the proud boys the same way I would be because there's no evidence they are a white supremecist organisation as has been claimed. Much of their membership is not even white.

Personally I think that's why he asked for a specific group to be named; to obfuscate matters, and make it easy if the KKK was the group named, because that's an easy group for him to denounce without upsetting groups of his other supporters.

I don't think he anticipated Proud Boys would be named, and then rather than denounce them, ended up saying what he did, thereby trying not to denounce the Proud Boys, but in the process not denouncing white supremacy.

Just my opinion of course. Either way, it was a stupid thing for him to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭endainoz

Well I'm out

Best of luck to the two lads tonight and keep it civil in here ,

Oh and lastly GOD BLESS AMERICA because they will need it no matter who wins .

Sounds awful similar to a poster on here earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Apologies if already asked. Do all states use electronic voting seeing as most will have some results in tonight?

• Advertisement

The most likely scenario by far is that it will be extremely close and that noone will know. No presidential candidate would concede if there was still a chance of them winning.

In the unlikely event of a Biden blowout then Trump may not concede as you say, but we will in that case still know the winner by tomorrow. Trump can go to court and stuff, but if he is not close he won't get anywhere.

The way you put it makes it sound like in a normal election we'd know but Trump won't let it happen or something.

I just don't put anything past Trump at this stage, given what he's already said about the election results and the lengths GOP groups are going to to have votes thrown out. While enough electoral college votes may be cast for Biden to have him announce victory, what happens if Trump challenges results is fairly up in the air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement