Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Comments

Brian? wrote: »
    What has Harris ever done to compare to that? Smiled in a weird way?

She went against her made-up-by-opponents extreme left views and policies by being "hard on crime" which is something her opponents would usually support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was reading until you talked about GOP voter supression/fraud . I think the systems in place are pretty robust to prevent against it , if you think theyre not you must agree with trumps mail in vote fraud paranoia
    You mean the mail in system which Trump's mate was doing his best to destroy yeah?
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2020/09/09/postal-service-ties-to-trump-gop-dejoy-duncan-postmaster-general-board-of-governors/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Not really, there's no undecideds for him to pick up this time.

This is very important.

https://www.newsweek.com/2020/09/04/undecided-voters-were-key-trumps-win-2016-will-they-deliver-again-1526824.html
    Undecided voters had a big hand in putting Trump in the White House four years ago. In August 2016 an estimated 20 percent of voters were undecided, compared to 10 percent now.
    Using the 211 million Americans registered to vote in 2018 as a guide, that would suggest there are some 21 million voters who are still open to persuasion. If the number is more in line with the 138 million who cast ballots in the 2016 presidential election, the undecided total would be closer to 14 million.
    By either measure, those numbers are sizable enough to potentially have an impact. But not everyone lumped into the "undecided" group doesn't have a preference for president. Most sway one way or another, says Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute, who puts the percentage who are truly undecided at about three percent, or roughly six million potential voters based on the number who cast ballots in 2018. Similarly, of the 14 percent of registered voters classified as undecided in an Ipsos/Reuters survey from early August, only six percent were actually unsure. Another six percent supported a third-party candidate and two percent said they didn't plan to vote this year.

Trump needs to win a huge amount of undecideds this year. In 2016, he was an unknown quantity in terms of leadership. Just enough people gave him a vote based on how he might lead to tip him over the edge. He is no longer an unknown quantity. That advantage is gone for him. The fact so many prominent Republicans have endorsed Biden is also not a good sign for him.

Another big factor is that Biden is nowhere near as disliked as Clinton was and she still managed to win the popular vote comfortably four years ago.

Bernie Sanders voters, many of who stayed away or voted third party last time around in protest, are much more likely to hold their noses and vote for Biden this year, given how much is at stake. Sanders has been much more emphatic in telling his followers to vote Biden than he was regarding Clinton in 2016 (Sanders and Clinton were not big fans of each other!)

I just think the wind is blowing far more in the Democrats favour this time. The notion of the 'shy' Trump voter just isn't a factor - they are anything but shy.

Anyway, 20 odd more days and we'll see for sure..!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Brian? wrote: »
    What is it exactly you don’t like about Harris? You just keep repeating you don’t like her

I intensely dislike Mike Pence because he’s a fundamentalist Christian bigot, who is anti LGBT. He’s also a hypocrite because he preaches about family values and supports a serial adulterer.

What has Harris ever done to compare to that? Smiled in a weird way?

Having a vagina I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,575 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

km991148 wrote: »
    There is very little fraud. There are way more (order of magnitude more) accidentally spoiled votes and you see no-one getting upset about that.

It's a typical Trump tactic. Plant enough seeds to bring the whole system into question.

Throw enough mud around until everyone chokes on it.

Voter fraud is very rare and never impacts the actual result of an election.

Election fraud, and voter suppression is endemic in the US for decades with both parties, but especially the GOP using all kinds of tactics including purging electoral registers, gerrymandering, reducing the number of poling locations in places their opponents are strong, using the courts to overturn election results for spurious reasons (hanging chads) intimidating voters by having armed 'observers' inside polling places challenging black voters and converting their ballots to 'provisional ballots' which are only counted about half the time...
    https://abcnews4.com/news/local/almost-half-of-sc-provisional-ballots-uncounted-in-2016-election-officials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Faugheen wrote: »

Ahh that ol chestnut , ofcourse everyone who opposes any female politician is just an aul sexist :rolleyes:

Ahh that ol chestnut , ofcourse everyone who opposes any female politician is just an aul sexist :rolleyes:

Well he’s been asked multiple times why he would vote for a candidate who is against everything he believes in over someone who is for everything his believes in.

She is ‘odious’ is all we’re getting. That’s it. It’s a pathetic excuse.

Also, poster has a history of giving out about women in the spotlight. So yes, I have every reason to believe it’s to do with Harris being a woman. More of a reason to believe that than you do otherwise.

Funny how you always jump into conversations you literally know f*ck all about when women or blacks are brought up, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its impossible for anyone to take your posts seriously when you post stuff like that.

Who is this "anyone" you speak of?

You and a tiny cohort of like minded individuals, on an overwhelmingly liberal-leaning forum? Okay, if you say so... :pac:

Bit arrogant to think you speak for "anyone"...

Lazy dismissal of other people's opinions, doesn't make you look any more intelligent btw... weak effort. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Well he’s been asked multiple times why he would vote for a candidate who is against everything he believes in over someone who is for everything his believes in.

She is ‘odious’ is all we’re getting. That’s it. It’s a pathetic excuse.

Also, poster has a history of giving out about women in the spotlight. So yes, I have every reason to believe it’s to do with Harris being a woman. More of a reason to believe that than you do otherwise.

Funny how you always jump into conversations you literally know f*ck all about when women or blacks are brought up, too.

I jump in when people needlessly call people / imply people are racist/sexist etc..

I jump in when people needlessly call people / imply people are racist/sexist etc..

How honourable of you.

Again, that poster has a history of having issues with women being in the spotlight compared to the men. So I call it as I see it.

Unlike you, who gets offended at the idea someone might be a little bit sexist as if it doesn’t exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

If someone avoids answering a question repeatedly on claims they have made, it is natural for people to speculate as to why, and it's curious why some would get bent out of shape about this speculation rather than about why the person making the initial claims has seemingly no ability and/or interest in expanding on what they actually meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

He is no longer an unknown quantity. That advantage is gone for him.

If anything, being an "unknown quantity" as you put it, should have made him less likely to get votes when up against a seasoned politician like Clinton - the most qualified candidate in history apparently.

Someone who had mountains more credentials to do the job, than a TV personality like Trump - if you were to listen to all the talking bobbleheads back in 2016!

(Of course they completely misread the mood of the electorate - just like in 2020)

Then there was the likely millions of extra votes Clinton surely would have swept up for being the first ever potential female president. Just like Obama no doubt got millions of extra votes, being the first ever black president. They are very unique selling points for any candidate.

Trump had many things stacked against him in 2016... he doesn't have those factors against him this time around. Biden has no special attraction to sell to anyone like those candidates, and he has no outstanding characteristics as a politician - he's rank average in every sense.

A career politician, who has spent his 47 years being fairly irrelevant. Very few people are getting excited about Biden - other than because his name isn't Trump!

When you factor this sort of stuff in, it's very hard to see how Trump doesn't wipe the floor with sleepy joe. Clinton was a much more impressive candidate (on paper at least).

So far he hasn't pointed to a particular policy that he has disliked of hers but has referred to her as a "witch".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I believe it was 2016

You believe wrong. It was much closer at this point in '16

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its that tough second album issue, happens them all, remember obama re ran with ‘ill close Guantanamo bay’ despite it actually taking in more prisoners during his first term.

He's running on culture war ****e and even worse for him zombie reganism and is in the ****.

The GOP haven't realised yet, the GOP base loath libertarian attitudes to spending etc , don't want to hear about balanced budget and have no issue with big government.

The silliness with the stimulus is in the nutshell, people want the GOP to splash the cash and despite been in immense trouble a month before the election, they are rejecting it while rambling about "balanced budget " blah blah. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Anyone know when was the last time a candidate had this much of lead in the polls and subsequently lost the election?

Ok so we've stablished it wasn't 2016. Anyone have an answer for this? I can't find the info online.

I heard it mentioned in various places this week that it was Truman v Dewey in 1948.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Anyone know when was the last time a candidate had this much of lead in the polls and subsequently lost the election?

Ok so we've stablished it wasn't 2016. Anyone have an answer for this? I can't find the info online.

I think the answer is never. The last incumbent to lose while leading in the polls was Carter, who, like the #IMPOTUS, was inept and had a crashed economy. An otherwise nice guy, apparently, but in way over his head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

good job I said I liked Obama then, cos those people would be calling me racist next.

its typical of their mindset to bandy about labels and make false accusations

good job I said I liked Obama then, cos those people would be calling me racist next.

its typical of their mindset to bandy about labels and make false accusations

Still waiting for an explanation as to what exactly about Harris’ policies you don’t like.

So far you’ve just said she’s ‘odious’ and a ‘witch’, and that you’d rather vote for a man whose beliefs are the complete polar opposite to yours. That makes zero sense to me. I’d rather an ‘odious witch’ who represents my views than a compulsive liar who is the polar opposite.

So come on, explain to me how I’m wrong and that the issue isn’t that Harris is a woman.

Don’t bottle it now. Good man.

you do know odious and witch are not gender specific right ?
    you do know a male can be classed as a witch or odious right ?

I clearly stated on here, maybe you chose to ignore it or maybe in your haste to bandy about that I therefore must be sexist, failed to spot I said I do not like he because she is a liar,transparent, and constantly evaded questions.,
    When Mike Pence is showing you up, things are bad.

I dont like Trump...am I sexist now as well against men ?
    Am I orangist !

The fact you think anyone who could dislike kamala must therefore be a sexist says more about you, and how you react when you make such ridiculous implications. Must show my wife this nonsense

shame on you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

You going to withdraw your remarks that I was making stuff up about you voting pence Justin?

I clearly stated on here, maybe you chose to ignore it or maybe in your haste to bandy about that I therefore must be sexist, failed to spot I said I do not like he because she is a liar,transparent, and constantly evaded questions.,

Am I orangist !

The fact you think anyone who could dislike kamala must therefore be a sexist says more about you, and how you react when you make such ridiculous implications. Must show my wife this nonsense

shame on you
    I've never heard a guy referred to as a 'witch'. You've also made no actual points about policies of hers that you disagree with.... You've just made vague remarks.

Am I orangist !

shame on you

Mike Pence is also a compulsive liar, but he is also against everything you claim to be in favour of. So why does he get a pass and Kamala doesn’t?

The only reason I believe the issue is that Kamala is a woman is because you said in plain language that you would vote for Pence, even though Kamala aligns more with your beliefs than Pence does.

Now you’re giving me this bullsh*t that Harris is a liar and constantly evades questions, just like your boy Pence does. I asked for policies. You’ve given me nonsense that you can attribute to either candidate.

Now that I have called out your nonsense for what it is, you’ve gotten uppity about it. Once again when a woman is in the spotlight, you have a problem with them.

You would vote for one liar who goes against your beliefs over a ‘liar’ that aligns with them. That is just baffling mental gymnastics that nobody is buying.

You’re either slightly sexist or you’re lying about your true beliefs. Nobody in their right mind would claim to be pro-choice, pro LGBT and then vote for Mike Pence.

This is the type of biased mindset of some people ^^^^.

you dont like a woman...ergo you have to be sexist.

By this twisted logic, any woman that does not like Trump must then also be sexist.

See how ridiculous it is ? and how throwing about stupid notions will make people look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Am I orangist !

shame on you

I don't post often here but enjoy reading the various US election threads. I have to say, watching you quite literally talk yourself into knots has given me a few chuckles this morning :pac:.

By this twisted logic, any woman that does not like Trump must then also be sexist.

See how ridiculous it is ? and how throwing about stupid notions will make people look

This has nothing to do with Trump. I never mentioned Trump’s name.

You said you would vote for Pence, who holds the opposite of what you believe in, over the ‘odious witch’ Harris, whose beliefs align with yours.

That makes literally zero sense to me. So I have concluded that, knowing your issues with women daring to enter a man’s game, it’s because Harris is a woman.

Calling her a liar and evading questions doesn’t cut it, because your boy Pence does the exact same thing.

Like I have said, nobody in their right mind who is pro-choice or pro-LGBT would vote for Mike Pence, who is in favour of gay-conversion therapy.

Why is someone who is actually against the idea of gay people, never mind their rights, less odious than Harris?

If you just quit the games and owned that you like Mike Pence I’d have more respect for you. Fact is you’re pretending you don’t particularly like him but that Harris is worse than him.

There have been many a poster with that ‘they’re both bad but Biden/Harris/Dems’ mindset and they’ve proven to be completely disingenuous.

You have first denied saying you would vote for Pence, now you’re getting all uppity that I’ve made a conclusion from your ‘evasion of questions’.

Does you being a liar and evading questions make you an ‘odious witch’ going by your logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Truman winning in 1948 was a shock, but I don't know about the exact numbers in polling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You would have saved yourself the trouble of having to write all this gibberish if you had just stated the specific policies and actions that have fuelled your hatred of Harris. Calling her a liar and transparent doesn't cut it.

I don't post often here but enjoy reading the various US election threads. I have to say, watching you quite literally talk yourself into knots has given me a few chuckles this morning :pac:.

It amazes me how people cannot grasp the most basic things.
    I never said I liked Pence, I think the guy is an idiot, however Kamala is even more unlikable, hence why I prefer him to her had I to choose.

I like her even less than him...not a difficult concept to grasp

I also clearly stated...more than once, I would rather have her as vice president rather than trump as president....something they ignored.

I openly stated I dont like Kamala or Trump, yet no Trump supporter insulted me. Why is that ?
    How come it is only the trump haters getting personal ?

It was the democrat lover who tried to imply I was sexist. He seems to have no issue with me disliking Trump...imagine that.
    He only has an issue when it does not suit his agenda.

When someone , like him clearly annoyed, resorts to making ridiculous claims that because you dont like a liar like Kamala, you must be therefore a sexist, it shows the level of mindset they have, and why I would be wasting my time dealing with someone who behaves like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

How come Justin said he didn't say he would vote pence, when he actually did...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement