Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

duploelabs wrote: »
    No, I'm happy when a story is double verified by normal journalistic standards and the evidence produced, however these stipulations haven't been reached with this NYP story

Then every story on Russia-gate would have been flagged and censored so, every one was false and every one used unsourced information. But that never happened because its selective censorship.

And if a story is false you write an editorial and post it or print it, not shut down someones opinion or story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Then every story on Russia-gate would have been flagged and censored so, every one was false and every one used unsourced information. But that never happened because its selective censorship.

and if hacked info isn't to be shared they should have blocked every story on trumps tax returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

and if hacked info isn't to be shared they should have blocked every story on trumps tax returns.

Why? The NYT documents were sourced from someone who was legally entitled to have them.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Why? The NYT documents were sourced from someone who was legally entitled to have them.

as were these emails, the computer was abandoned in the store for 60 days, you can take possession after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

really strikes me as anti-semitism for his support of Israel.

That's a really weak attempt to try and shut down criticism of Trump, frankly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't like it? Quote where I said that please.
    Good so we agree democracy is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

biko wrote: »
    Good so we agree democracy is best.

Functioning democracy is best. A broken system that hands power to the loser, erodes checks and balances, concentrates the media in the hands of the owners of a few corporations and limits voter choice to two right wing white guys isn't a functioning democracy IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

as were these emails, the computer was abandoned in the store for 60 days, you can take possession after.

An unknown person leaves the laptop there that wasn't Hunter Biden.... So it's not exactly as clear cut as what you've just described. It's all sorts of red flags plus the specific email is a screenshot rather than the original email which makes the origins of it suspect.

In relation to the email itself, the original one of it was embedded gives lots of important info in the source code that would make it easily verifiable. Plus would raise be pretty obvious if that source code was modified too. So there's a lot of reasons why is weird that they haven't included the email.

An unknown person leaves the laptop there that wasn't Hunter Biden.... So it's not exactly as clear cut as what you've just described. It's all sorts of red flags plus the specific email is a screenshot rather than the original email which makes the origins of it suspect.

In relation to the email itself, the original one of it was embedded gives lots of important info in the source code that would make it easily verifiable. Plus would raise be pretty obvious if that source code was modified too. So there's a lot of reasons why is weird that they haven't included the email.

couldnt confirm it was hunter and 'wasn't hunter' are two completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

couldnt confirm it was hunter and 'wasn't hunter' are two completely different things.

Hold on, are we not all supposed to wait until evidence? I mean there have been accusations against Trump that are dismissed because they lack evidence so why the change now?

Clearly, this is nothing, until such time as an investigation is carried out and something found.

If you can't confirm it was Hunter then he is innocent until such as time as that can be established.

You seem to have ignored the second paragraph which is increasingly more relevant, particularly since the New York Post have used screenshots for the most shocking ones.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1316598507025776642

Functioning democracy is best. A broken system that hands power to the loser
    I assume here you refer to electoral college.
    Electoral college is in the US Constitution so I doubt it will easily be changed.

If Joe Biden wins using electoral college but Trump gets popular vote, will you say Trump should have won?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The excuse given as to why it couldn't be confirmed was that the repair shop owner had a medical condition that meant he couldn't confirm the identity
    The article further states that Issac claimed he had a medical condition that prevented him from actually seeing who dropped off the laptop.

But he can repair laptops though...

That sounds fair enough right????

The same guy also claims that
    he also said the FBI reached out to him for “help accessing his drive.”

Because you know , the FBI don't have anyone capable of accessing an already unlocked hard drive and needed the help of some bloke running a back-street repair shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

If Joe Biden wins using electoral college but Trump gets popular vote, will you say Trump should have won?

Absolutely and probably more evidence to suggest the system is screwed and possibly a candidate for reform.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The excuse given as to why it couldn't be confirmed was that the repair shop owner had a medical condition that meant he couldn't confirm the identity

But he can repair laptops though...

That sounds fair enough right????

The same guy also claims that

Because you know , the FBI don't have anyone capable of accessing an already unlocked hard drive and needed the help of some bloke running a back-street repair shop.

assuming the guy is facing out at a counter where behind the customer theres windows which let in light, any light sensitivity issue may prevent him seeing clearly enough to identify a customer. There are lots of conditions which hinder vision under certain light conditions.

police forces around the world often rely on third parties to access drives. Im an IT consultant and have been dropping off machines for warranty repair before while gardai wait to retrieve copied disks. Especially as the computer was a Mac, the FileVault encryption would be harder to beat. The 'help' might have been as simple as asking the guy what password hunter filled out on the form to access the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Where’s the DOJs investigation into all of this so? Is there any sort of investigation happening anywhere into this? Have the FBI commented? We’re all just supposed to take Rudy’s word for it? Even right wing US media are barely mentioning it.

Overheal wrote: »
    Going back to my Biko example: having leverage over Biko, and leveraging Biko in a collusive plot, are 2 very different things and I don't think you really needed that cleared up.
    I think it's fairly clear to anyone you have no sway over me :D

I assume here you refer to electoral college.
    Electoral college is in the US Constitution so I doubt it will easily be changed.

I know it's in the constitution. The same constitution had to be amended to forbid slavery and even half-arsed that so I have no intention of fawning over it.

Whoever wins the popular vote should win. It's quite simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sure Eric, all that could have happened, but you are making up possibles to suit your conclusion rather than waiting for the actual evidence.

Lots of people claimed Trump had called dead soldiers losers, and it was demanded that actual evidence, rather than hearsay, be presented. Remember the Kavaugah hearings, when he was defended because she didn't have everything perfect and had waited?

Why not the same level of critical thinking now?

• Advertisement

Weird, you work in tech but don't see the importance in seeing the original emails. A group not known for their fact checking that uses screenshots raises plenty of red flags.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

assuming the guy is facing out at a counter where behind the customer theres windows which let in light, any light sensitivity issue may prevent him seeing clearly enough to identify a customer. There are lots of conditions which hinder vision under certain light conditions.

police forces around the world often rely on third parties to access drives. Im an IT consultant and have been dropping off machines for warranty repair before while gardai wait to retrieve copied disks. Especially as the computer was a Mac, the FileVault encryption would be harder to beat. The 'help' might have been as simple as asking the guy what password hunter filled out on the form to access the laptop.

Did you read the linked article?

The guy was all over the place about the details of who did what and when and then babbled on about taking a copy of the drive "Because he didn't want to be murdered" (He is a believer in the Seth Rich Conspiracy theory!) , without really explaining how taking a copy of the drive and then sending the original to the FBI was protection against whoever he was worried about.

He first said he called the FBI , then he said that they got in touch with him. When pressed about how/where the contact with Guiliani came from he said
    “When you’re afraid and you don’t know anything about the depth of the waters that you’re in, you want to find a lifeguard.”

When he was asked if Guiliani was this "Lifeguard" , he seemed to realise he''d probably said too much and replied
    Ah, sh!t - No Comment

The utter incompetence of the whole thing just reeks of Guiliani.

Remember the Parnas and Fruman stuff? - Same sort of schoolboy errors here.

Guiliani was sold a pup by the Russians AGAIN and he fell for it.

More fool the NY Post for publishing though , they didn't even look for a quote from the Biden side before going to print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It seems a senate committee are trying to validate the info, that’s good at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Jacob Lohl level stuff here and the Disciples are lapping it up :(

I agree, it would be the better option.
    However, there isn't much we Irish can do about it but hope the Americans sort it out.

Did you know the Seanad Éireann is also elected by electoral college? Should we fix that?

Did you know the Seanad Éireann is also elected by electoral college? Should we fix that?

What has this to do with the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

really strikes me as anti-semitism for his support of Israel.

You strike me as somebody who can and does rationally debate stuff,reggardless of whether I agree or not- but this is really poor by you. If you can't see that many Christians were bothered by Trumps Christian-gassing Upsidedown Bible-holding ****show (as an example of his hypocrisy) then you didn't see what they saw. Just because Trump is filling the SC with Christians does not mean they are going to accept all the other stuff he does that is counter to their religious beliefs.

I didn't go through every page on the site, but it is absolutely not carrying an antisemitic message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I know it's in the constitution. The same constitution had to be amended to forbid slavery and even half-arsed that so I have no intention of fawning over it.

Ehh. So, don't vote in Alaska or Montana or the Dakotas? I don't think its quite that simple. It'd be different though, and I've read many discussions of how the EC really is a relic of Jim Crow

If instead, you ranked states by population and awarded the most populous state 50 EC votes, 2d most 49, etc. you'd get a total of 1275 EC votes. This would force the candidates to bring something to the table for most of the states, which I think the EC was intended to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ehh. So, don't vote in Alaska or Montana or the Dakotas? I don't think its quite that simple. It'd be different though, and I've read many discussions of how the EC really is a relic of Jim Crow

If instead, you ranked states by population and awarded the most populous state 50 EC votes, 2d most 49, etc. you'd get a total of 1275 EC votes. This would force the candidates to bring something to the table for most of the states, which I think the EC was intended to do

Why, surely your vote becomes a lot more important. For instance if you are a democrat in SC or a republican in California your vote is never going to count with the Electoral College system.

If its a popular vote then every vote counts the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Looks like the postal service mischief is being reversed.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/14/postal-service-agrees-to-reverse-service-changes-429550

"The U.S. Postal Service agreed Wednesday to reverse changes that slowed mail service nationwide, settling a lawsuit filed by Montana Gov. Steve Bullock during a pandemic that is expected to force many more people to vote by mail."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement