Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

assuming the guy is facing out at a counter where behind the customer theres windows which let in light, any light sensitivity issue may prevent him seeing clearly enough to identify a customer. There are lots of conditions which hinder vision under certain light conditions.

police forces around the world often rely on third parties to access drives. Im an IT consultant and have been dropping off machines for warranty repair before while gardai wait to retrieve copied disks. Especially as the computer was a Mac, the FileVault encryption would be harder to beat. The 'help' might have been as simple as asking the guy what password hunter filled out on the form to access the laptop.

Do they tend to pick little computer repair shops for such jobs though?

The author seems to be entirely unbiased anyway..
    https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/1316553496192258048?s=19

Realistically it would be some form of a data forensics company. An fbi raid would take everything related to the laptops too including passwords so doubt they'd be going back to ask for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I know it's in the constitution. The same constitution had to be amended to forbid slavery and even half-arsed that so I have no intention of fawning over it.

Whoever wins the popular vote should win. It's quite simple.

The electoral college promotes diversity. I thought the left liked diversity? ;)

Diversity of voter demographics. If you ignore any part of the country for long enough, your political rival will move in and turn that region red/blue. You can't just focus on the major population centres or most populated regions. It's a very good protection against that sort of bias.

It has happened in many states, and it's great for keeping politicians from getting too complacent.

In a pure popular vote, there is much less incentive to build functioning coalitions between states. Therefore less incentive to have cohesion throughout the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,916 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

assuming the guy is facing out at a counter where behind the customer theres windows which let in light, any light sensitivity issue may prevent him seeing clearly enough to identify a customer. There are lots of conditions which hinder vision under certain light conditions.

police forces around the world often rely on third parties to access drives. Im an IT consultant and have been dropping off machines for warranty repair before while gardai wait to retrieve copied disks. Especially as the computer was a Mac, the FileVault encryption would be harder to beat. The 'help' might have been as simple as asking the guy what password hunter filled out on the form to access the laptop.

Right so get this:

A MacBook Pro, which was never picked up
    At a store somewhere “in Bidens home state of Deleware” not his hometown, somewhere he works, the city the foundation is in, etc, just some rando store somewhere in Deleware right okay
    That reportedly had Beau Biden Foundation logos on it but there are no photos of this
    And the store owner can’t tell who dropped it off because they’re blind
    And that computer repair store owner also I guess never bothered to capture customer information before accepting hardware for repair
    And the FBI needed his help to recover the files from a hard drive he already made a copy of

We are having a fire sale on bridges today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The electoral college promotes diversity.
    Yes, it promotes overlooked states.
    I understand this but think one adult citizen - one vote is probably more in line with the idea of democracy.
    What has this to do with the thread?
    The Seanad reform is trying to address this for many years.
    http://historyhub.ie/past-reforms-present-policy
    We can't do it, but maybe they can. They're only almost 100 times our size...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The electoral college promotes diversity. I thought the left liked diversity? ;)

Diversity of voter demographics. If you ignore any part of the country for long enough, your political rival will move in and turn that region red/blue. You can't just focus on the major population centres or most populated regions. It's a very good protection against that sort of bias.

It has happened in many states, and it's great for keeping politicians from getting too complacent.

In a pure popular vote, there is much less incentive to build functioning coalitions between states. Therefore less incentive to have cohesion throughout the country.

I don't see how counting votes in rural states as being worth more than those of those with more dense populations promotes diversity. It seems to hand disproportionate power to voters in rural constituencies as far as I can tell.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The big social media are not banning because the information if fake, they are saying it is because they say the information was hacked which is false. Truth matters and I am sure leftists do not want a corrupt Politian as their president, it is in voters of of the democrats' best interests to have a look at the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't see how counting votes in rural states as being worth more than those of those with more dense populations promotes diversity. It seems to hand disproportionate power to voters in rural constituencies as far as I can tell.

The Electoral College system, I can kinda understand. I don't think it properly reflects the actual populations and maybe some form of periodic review of electoral college votes per % population should occasionally be undertaken.

Two Senators per State though should f*ck right off. That's just insanity at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The issue is you would have a system of majority oppressing the minorities which I am sure you are against however the majority in this case are the states with more dense population that might be only looking out for what benefits them and the minorities being the less populated states that could have their entire lives destroyed by policies that do not take them into consideration. The EC seems to work for what it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The big social media are not banning because the information if fake, they are saying it is because they say the information was hacked which is false. Truth matters and I am sure leftists do not want a corrupt Politian as their president, it is in voters of of the democrats' best interests to have a look at the information.

Trump is probably one of the most corrupt presidents in the past century so these words of concern come across as being a bit disingenuous.
    The issue is you would have a system of majority oppressing the minorities which I am sure you are against however the majority in this case are the states with more dense population that might be only looking out for what benefits them and the minorities being the less populated states that could have their entire lives destroyed by policies that do not take them into consideration. The EC seems to work for what it is.

Democracy is a system based on majority rule. Americans in all states vote in the same election. Presenting red states as some breed of victim doesn't really wash with me I'm afraid.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why introduce the word oppressed? A democracy is all about what the majority want. It is asking the population as a whole what they want and going in that direction.

What other way should you do it? By arbitrarily picking some measurements over another, in the US case state borders, to giving certain peoples votes more value that others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Overheal wrote: »
    Right so get this:

A MacBook Pro, which was never picked up
    At a store somewhere “in Bidens home state of Deleware” not his hometown, somewhere he works, the city the foundation is in, etc, just some rando store somewhere in Deleware right okay
    That reportedly had Beau Biden Foundation logos on it but there are no photos of this
    And the store owner can’t tell who dropped it off because they’re blind
    And that computer repair store owner also I guess never bothered to capture customer information before accepting hardware for repair
    And the FBI needed his help to recover the files from a hard drive he already made a copy of

We are having a fire sale on bridges today

And this is the best Hunter Biden could come up with, a rando computer repair shop, despite his millions earned from the Ukraine and Chyyyyyna. Uhuh.

This smells like the Chinese doctor claiming the virus deliberately escaped from a lab in China, at least until it was found out she was on Bannon's payroll (like this guy and the reporter appear to be.)

But, somehow, I think the next debate this nonsense comes up. I'm confident Biden'll be ready for it, the #IMPOTUS will be full-on foaming at the mouth.

Igotadose wrote: »
    And this is the best Hunter Biden could come up with, a rando computer repair shop, despite his millions earned from the Ukraine and Chyyyyyna. Uhuh.

This smells like the Chinese doctor claiming the virus deliberately escaped from a lab in China, at least until it was found out she was on Bannon's payroll (like this guy and the reporter appear to be.)

But, somehow, I think the next debate this nonsense comes up. I'm confident Biden'll be ready for it, the #IMPOTUS will be full-on foaming at the mouth.

The store owners follow up with reporters is no less sketchy

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2020/10/14/meet-wilmington-repairman-who-reportedly-gave-biden-laptop-giuliani-associate/3655753001/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,640 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They've had a corrupt business man as their president for the last four years.

They do, but they have strict policies in place as to what hardware and data can be accessed including as required the use of write blockers.
    Anyone breaking the rules around the contract would lose it and face prosecution if data is shared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if the fbi office investigating it was local to that shop, yes

Seriously, an investigation of a laptop belonging to a prominent political figure, and the FBI dropped it off at a local office? Get over yourself. Despite this being the #IMPOTUS administration, the FBI's not that incompetent.

They have better resources. FFS they can call on the CIA if they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The last few pages are some crazy reading, crazier than Trump's Twitter timeline, people must clearly be getting worried.

I think America could and should do better than Trump, but I don't particularly care if he wins, as it will be great entertainment overall ha.

I feel the pro Trump gang are going to be distraught though. I feel a lot of them you see interviewed have a lot of their worth invested in his whole shtick of "owning the left" etc.

And it's hard to picture how Trump will react if voted out. And then he is suppose to carry on in the White House for a couple of months is it?

I've never been more interested in an election before! If one was to take some time off work to follow it, the results coming in etc. What days would be the best to take, whats the general timeline of the week. Thanks.

Ifs, maybe, probably, might have, could have.

That is all you've got, yet you have decided that this is clearly an area that not only Hunter, but Joe, needs to answer for.

At least be consistent in your position. No need for any investigation, everyone is innocent until proven otherwise etc. If you believe that in regards to Trump, then you must believe that when it comes to Hunter.

There are enough holes and inconsistencies in this story to at least place it back to having to get something more substantial. At the moment is it nothing.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I've never been more interested in an election before! If one was to take some time off work to follow it, the results coming in etc. What days would be the best to take, whats the general timeline of the week. Thanks.

Polls close 8p.m. Eastern time on 3 November, closing at 8p.m. across the country after that, in general, some states vary. So, starting at about (aggh...different daylight savings times) 1a.m. Ireland time you should start seeing results come in. There is a huge push to get all the numbers in by around midnight Eastern time (4a.m. here), but sometimes it goes on much longer.

Whilst first numbers are due in as above, my bet is that the results are going to be weeks away. This is going to be an election won and lost in the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Twitter are now suppressing a NY Post story about Hunter Biden and China

Twitter are now suppressing a story about Hunter Biden and China

Proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I think it's just an attempt at recognising the reasons why people fled their ancestral home, and came to America for greater freedoms.

If you moved to rural montana or alaska for greater freedom, but are still having no say in how you're governed because big cities/regions have all the voting power... that's not really what you bought into.

What's the difference between London ruling your life, or New York ruling your life...?

You can have sparsely populated states, which have a very different culture to that of the big cities. But the electoral college ensures that these smaller states have a little bit of power, so they can not be easily overrun by the superior numbers of the cities or bigger states... but yet it still recognises that the big city/state should have more power based on it's size.

It has more power, but not all the power.

So your rural state doesn't necessarily have to change it's culture or way of life, to be more in line with that of the more densely populated regions.

So I think it does a pretty good job of promoting and protecting diversity of lifestyles throughout the whole nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

is something going on over there heard nothing on the media over here about it

I'd also put money on the FBI only having approved locations for anything like this. So it'd be an amazing coincidence that it would be this guy.
    is something going on over there heard nothing on the media over here about it

It's a publication of no particular repute. It would be like media here reporting on National Enquirer stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Whilst first numbers are due in as above, my bet is that the results are going to be weeks away. This is going to be an election won and lost in the courts.

Well if I've to take a few weeks off work, so be it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Twitter are now suppressing a NY Post story about Hunter Biden and China

Correction.

Twitter (and Facebook) are preventing the spread of what appears to be fake news.

Theres more holes in the plot than in a d List movie.

Using this post from another thread to illustrate the point.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Quite the opposite I'd suggest.

The whole story reeks of disinformation.

Read the details from the alleged repair shop - It's all over the place.
    • He doesn't know who dropped off the system - apparently because he has "a medical condition that means he couldn't see the person dropping the system off"
    • He called the FBI
    • No they called him
    • No he called Rudi
    • He was afraid he was going to get murdered so he took a copy of the hard drive (he thinks Seth Rich was murdered)
    • The FBI asked him to help them access the drive - Not their own techs , the pc repair shop guy. For a Drive that he'd already accessed and copied.
    • Rudi got the drive and didn't give it to the Grassley Senate Investigation but instead decided to give it to the NY Post

It's laughably inept , but absolutely consistent with Rudi Guiliani desperate attempts to get Ukraine dirt on Biden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

It's a publication of no particular repute.

It's as reputable as CNN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement